• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Pokemon Discussion Thread!

Diarkia124

The forums associated with Marriland is going to shut down permanently tonight. The site has been on the decline over the past few years to the point where I forget it rivaled Serebii around 12 years ago. Pretty sure a video of it still exists somewhere.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The forums associated with Marriland is going to shut down permanently tonight. The site has been on the decline over the past few years to the point where I forget it rivaled Serebii around 12 years ago. Pretty sure a video of it still exists somewhere.
I think I browsed the site years ago, and while I don't have any particular good memories associated with it, it's always sad when a Pokemon forum shuts down. Hopefully an achieve of it will be available on the Wayback Machine.

Diarkia124

I think I browsed the site years ago, and while I don't have any particular good memories associated with it, it's always sad when a Pokemon forum shuts down. Hopefully an achieve of it will be available on the Wayback Machine.
Parts of it will be but it'll be very limited. I think one of the mods tried archiving as much as they could of the reincarnation.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Just wanted to say happy anniversary Pokémon! A quarter-century is a crazy long life for a video game, and there's no sign of stopping. There have been some bumps in the road, but we're all still here, playing the games regardless. Here's to at least another 25 years!

BR4VE

Omega Ruby Base on Route 118, Right Side Beach
Anyone else think it'd be awsome to have a Pokemon game where you can host a Gym, and be a Gym Leader? Similar to Secret bases in ORAS, but with the option for live multiplayer play too.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I've always thought that the uniforms of the Aether Foundation looked like something straight out of the 1960s. It's like the foundation has been around since the 60s, and their basic uniform design has changed very little since then.

Which gives me an idea. A Pokemon Cinematic Universe movie should show the origins of Aether, set from 1964 (two years before Aether is founded) to 1971 (the foundation's 5th anniversary).

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
So I was reading Nintendo's Financial Results Briefing from February, and in it Shuntaro Furukawa stated Pokémon Sword & Shield's second round of downloadable content (The Crown Tundra) was a strong contributor to the increase in Nintendo Switch Online subscriptions, along with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's second Fighter Pass.

He went on to say he realized from these findings that while the growth of digital sales in general don't necessarily rest on DLC, the growth will certainly be impacted by the timing of DLC releases and what gets released entirely.

Not only do I now see why Nintendo chose to control which characters got added to Smash in the second Fighter Pass, I also now see Nintendo has placed great value on Pokémon having downloadable content. While Nintendo themselves doesn't have much influence over what Game Freak develops, do any of you think it might be possible we'll see future expansion packs for Pokémon games - even Sword & Shield once again - due to this report?

P.S., Given Game Freak isn't developing the Gen 4 remasters remakes, do you guys think we might see DLC for Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl?

Bus

So I was reading Nintendo's Financial Results Briefing from February, and in it Shuntaro Furukawa stated Pokémon Sword & Shield's second round of downloadable content (The Crown Tundra) was a strong contributor to the increase in Nintendo Switch Online subscriptions, along with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's second Fighter Pass.

He went on to say he realized from these findings that while the growth of digital sales in general don't necessarily rest on DLC, the growth will certainly be impacted by the timing of DLC releases and what gets released entirely.

Not only do I now see why Nintendo chose to control which characters got added to Smash in the second Fighter Pass, I also now see Nintendo has placed great value on Pokémon having downloadable content. While Nintendo themselves doesn't have much influence over what Game Freak develops, do any of you think it might be possible we'll see future expansion packs for Pokémon games - even Sword & Shield once again - due to this report?

P.S., Given Game Freak isn't developing the Gen 4 remasters remakes, do you guys think we might see DLC for Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl?
It's certainly not impossible. Things that were 'events' in the past like with Celebi in HG/SS or Darkrai in D/P/P could now be actual DLC passes....though the thing is, they know that people like actual content for DLC. Simply tossing in a battle with a legend won't be enough to constitute a full DLC pack; they'd have to develop a mini story; possibly even a whole area; to accompany it.

So the question really is, will they do DLC areas like the Crown Tundra for these remakes or will they save their focus and get more time in for Gen 9?

Personally, I think these remakes will simply be the Platinum version of Gen 4 with an added Post-story like Alpha & Omega had and that'll be it. It'll be expanded compared to the original, but I'm not expecting DLC for it. I think they'll devote more time and effort to Gen 9 and will be fixing the issues we all had with Sw/Sh while making sure they've got probably double the DLC areas lined up and ready to go after launch.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
It's certainly not impossible. Things that were 'events' in the past like with Celebi in HG/SS or Darkrai in D/P/P could now be actual DLC passes....though the thing is, they know that people like actual content for DLC. Simply tossing in a battle with a legend won't be enough to constitute a full DLC pack; they'd have to develop a mini story; possibly even a whole area; to accompany it.

So the question really is, will they do DLC areas like the Crown Tundra for these remakes or will they save their focus and get more time in for Gen 9?

Personally, I think these remakes will simply be the Platinum version of Gen 4 with an added Post-story like Alpha & Omega had and that'll be it. It'll be expanded compared to the original, but I'm not expecting DLC for it. I think they'll devote more time and effort to Gen 9 and will be fixing the issues we all had with Sw/Sh while making sure they've got probably double the DLC areas lined up and ready to go after launch.

My hope is Ilica will be able to produce a lot more content than usual since they're taking the simplistic route. While this would initially mean they could just add more content to the base game, I also wouldn't be opposed to Platinum's Battle Frontier being added as a DLC expansion. I mean, I'd rather pay 30 bucks for that than 40 bucks for Platinum. lol

Pokemon Power

I don't know about you guys, but I think if Nintendo is willing to update a two and a half year old game after all this time...
...then maybe there's a small chance of Let's Go, Pikachu and Eevee getting an expansion pass of sorts? It's just a hope of mine, but you know that Nintendo can be unpredictable sometimes.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I don't know about you guys, but I think if Nintendo is willing to update a two and a half year old game after all this time...
...then maybe there's a small chance of Let's Go, Pikachu and Eevee getting an expansion pass of sorts? It's just a hope of mine, but you know that Nintendo can be unpredictable sometimes.
Problem with that is that it's Game Freak's call, and this one example is just incredibly weird.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
We're not going back to Gen VII.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
It's not new to update games that have been around awhile.

Remember Animal Crossing New Leaf? It got a welcome amiibo update just a few years before New Horizons came out.

The problem with adding new Pokemon in older titles is that its just going to add more and more development time to patch up older games.
Time that they could spend on making newer titles.

Also, it's wishful thinking to think that we'll get all the old Pokemon back for every Pokemon title to come.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Here's something I've always wondered

Are cute or cool Pokemon more popular among the fanbase?

WalesNote

I wonder how generation 9 will differ from 8 and the rest of the gens.

Where will it be set? What new things will be included?
There's gonna be 1000, or close to 1000 pokémon in total with its release.

NeedsAName

Someþing I just þought about: þe next gen's roman numeral abbreviation won't fit into alphabetical order wiþ þe oþers. It previously went I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, but IX will break þings relying on þe implicit alphabetical order. Probably an easy fix but might be time-consuming for websites like Bulbapedia (no offense to þe omniscient bulba' wiki.)

Pokemon Power

Uuugggg!! I'm trying to get a regular Aromatisse in the Gen. 6 and Gen. 7 GTS, and I keep getting shinies. I don't mind taking care of them, but it's getting very repetitive. Is anyone else having a similar problem?