• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Popular Ships Survey Study (RESULTS ARE IN~!)

Which ships do you actively ship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a Pearlshipper.

Everyone, hear what I say about pearlshipping. I like how ash and dawn being together and spend time together is really great to me and others too. They get along famously, sure they have a little of downs at times but most of the time having ups, when I see them having good times and spend alot of time together and support each other even help and save each other alot of times enlightens my mind and lightens my heart by seeing them being together brings me great peace. I can see and feel pretty clear that the bond and feelings of Ash and Dawn as a treasure and dawn herself as a treasure too. Here's what I said myself about dawn, she has beautiful blue eyes and cute beautiful hair, and when I see her smile, it's like she has the most beautiful smile in the world and has more Courage and Heart and support and she's very loyal and faithful to ash as ash is to her for he supports her too by watching all of her pokemon contests and her battles. After all Dawn is more to Ash as Ash is to dawn too and they're a lot alike. They both have different goals but still they have alot in common. Dawn is a lot more fun and courageous than the others girls companions in the past, she and Ash are similar to each other like the same things, different goals and they even listen and understand and also support each other, Ash and Dawn are like Yin and Yang. Ash's Yang to Dawn's Yin and Dawn's Yin to Ash's Yang. I would say that dawn and ash first met and traveling together is a blessing. I knew from the start that we're going to have more pearlshippers on facebook. It's because I have faith that they can see that Ash and Dawn's bond is very very strong and they have a spiritual connection. How I can tell is need get to know the characters when you're in their shoes and understand their feelings and their lives. I give pearlshipping my support 100% no matter what.

Last edited:

Tykira

Wishful thinking FTW
Hello there! :p I support Iris and Dento because despite their arguments about science vs. nature, I think they make a pretty interesting couple. Dento being a gentleman and all, Iris might like guys who won't be so rough with her and because Iris is not like the girls from the Sanyou gym, Dento might feel Iris is a breath of fresh air for being different than most girls.

PokeMaster366

I'm very fond of Negaishipping.

I guess one of the big reasons why I'm so partial to Negaishipping is because, to me, it seems like one of those relationships that can happen in the anime without things becoming obvious. It's platonic to a surprisingly high degree and the relationship would be able to develop with the least risk of getting in the way of the story and action (not that the show has much of either anyway). Negaishipping hangs out more on the Shonen side of the spectrum while ships such as Pearlshipping are more Shoujo, and even though I don't mind a few doses of Pearlshipping every now and again, but I prefer not to have shipping overloads that create bloated tumors in works that could've potentially been great w/o them such as what happened with "The Legend of Korra".

ccangelopearl1362

Hmm… After a round of observation, perhaps the following answers will be appropriate on my part, firmly siding with Pearlshipping.:

Why do you support this ship?
As I typed in the Pearlshipping thread, I thoroughly enjoy the combination of innocence and recognition that Ash and Dawn embodied throughout their Sinnoh journey. They are capable of complementing rather than separating their interests, thereby lessening the risk of romantic disharmony between them. Anything could be an expression of their romantic friendship to them, and they’d enjoy the numerous common interests that they could share. They could also share their deepest thoughts with each other whenever they’re alone, strengthening their view of themselves and each other. They grew steadily closer together without too many worries, perhaps encapsulated in their catch phrase, “No need to worry!”. Add this together, and the romantic friendship between Ash and Dawn becomes an excellent beacon of light to counter the darkness unleashed by Team Galactic and J on separate occasions but eventually together all across Sinnoh, making these two trainers a most admirable pairing to my mind.

When did you start shipping it?
Based on my recollections of my mindset at the time, I may have supported Pearlshipping since the beginning. I could discern a few key moments that were remarkably different from my memories from Ash’s past run-ins with Misty and May, respectively. I noted the similarities that Ash and Dawn had with each other, as well as certain deviantART images. Most interesting to me was likely the appearance of Team Galactic. As I saw it, it was a terrorist group with an open agenda to end the Pokémon world as we know and love it, and anyone who knows me could recognize how high terrorists would rank on my prospective list of villainous types. Between the energy that Ash and Dawn displayed and the state of my interests outside Pokémon, my decision to recognize Pearlshipping as my first serious Poké-pairing was the only viable one that I could have made.

Do you think you’ll always feel this way about this ship?
The more I think about this, the more I get the sense that this will be a more interesting question than some of you will suspect because my perception of Pokémon has now completely merged into my view of something… different. Suffice to say that this something ended up being enough to make my support for Pearlshipping stronger than I ever imagined, to the point that I have an overarching scenario for how I would end Pokémon in Unova. Everything I did, learned, and believed these past several years, especially more recently, has permanently embedded Ash and Dawn’s romantic friendship into my mind, and I will forever be grateful to the other Pearlshippers, from Adelaide1994 to Brazillianguy, from PK0082 to JPG, from Yuppirox and WGCV23 to rioT6296 and Hjörung ’ s wrath, for the enthusiasm that they brought to our discussions.

What hint(s) make(s) this ship canon or most plausible in your eyes?
If I had to pinpoint one hint above all others, then “High Touch” would be my safest bet. That song best summarizes the joy and innocence expressed between Ash and Dawn during their romantic friendship, and it included a symbol that has remained almost iconic of Ash and Dawn’s level of trust. Their progress and growth brought a unique sense of realism as they learned to support and encourage each other’s greatest strengths, perhaps first seen more seriously during The Rise of Darkrai, but also in the midst of Team Galactic’s attack on Celestic Town. Perhaps to go with something more… mundane, I could think of Ash and Dawn’s ice cream round in “Tanks for the Memories!” or their trade for Buizel and Aipom, among other moments. They have effectively combined friendship with romance, so that now and forever, Pearlshipping will remain my most influential pairing in Pokémon.

Last edited:

~Demon Maxwell~

The Clever Girl
Voted for Wishful, obviously~!

Duh, it's astounding in terms of comedy! Cilan and Iris have many comical moments together and it really does a lot to strengthen their bond (even if you don't support them as a couple but in a platonic way, even), plus, their running gags (such as Iris hiding behind Cilan when an ice type was present, and more recently, Cilan behind her when Purrloin was present) are totally hilarious. It does my heart good to see a couple of kids just bonding together. Plus, I think that they settle each other nicely, Iris being wild at heart and him being refined and gentlemanly - they balance each other out!

When did you start shipping it?

From Cilan's first appearance. I was indifferent to Iris and Ash from the start (aside from the promos when I saw their apparent chemistry with the teasing and joking, etc) and thought Cilan was a good match for her due to the reasons mentioned above, basically, opposites attract nicely. Plus, in the Dwebble episode, I noticed that they were very gentle with each other; Iris was extremely sincere regarding Pansage and passionate about Cilan's partner getting better and Cilan looked extremely grateful and was very, very touched, even in the English version (a lot of people complain the dub dims down hints dramatically).

Do you think you'll always feel this way about this ship?

Though I lost interest in Pokemon all together, I can see myself keeping a soft spot for these two, yes. They have made a little bit of an impact on me as a writer - they were my first Pokemon fanfiction that I ever posted on Fanfiction.Net, and even though I have no interest any longer (though I still mildly contribute), I will always be grateful to their astounding dynamic for giving me something to work with and branches to make beautiful literature from, just as a lot of other Wishfulshipping authors out there.

Which hint(s) make this ship canon or most plausible in your eyes?

I dislike the term "canon" as, aside from a few lucky ships, it's mostly based on interpretation, but one thing I do know is this: based on things like the Dwebble episode and the reforming Excadrill episode (Cilan was VERY helpful to Iris and was genuinely concerned about her Pokemon too) makes me see canon sincerity, which helps me to believe that these two could actually go somewhere, whether it be in fanfictions and Art, or on the actual show. Probably the former, since the writers are kinda meh.

Anyhow, Wishfulshipping all the way~!

Misty4ever

will always luv you
1 - Why do you support this ship?

Pokeshipping- I love the interaction, I how they play off of each other (bickering, teasing, cute moments, etc.) Plus I think they have the hints (whether you count dub hints or not) out of all the Ash couples. I could go on forever, but ya I really like them together.

Contestshipping- The roses, that fact that their relationship makes them stronger as trainers. The blushing and all the stubbornness :)

2 - When did you start shipping it?

Pokeshipping- I guess after Johto is when I started watching pokemon period, so I missed most of the original air dates, but watching the 2nd movie is when I started shipping them.

Contestshipping- Come What May episode when May won her first contest and Drew gave her another rose.

3 - Do you think you'll always feel this way about this ship? Why or why not?

Pokeshipping- Yes, 100%. because it is the top reason I am still interested in the anime.

Contestshipping- Yes, even if we never see May or Drew again, the idea that she followed him to Johto for contests leaves a nice open ending for them I think.

4 - Which hint(s) make this ship canon or most plausible in your eyes?

Pokeshipping- Misty stuck with Ash even after she stopped caring about her bike. When they held hands and danced. The many times other characters would point out that they like each other. They both would get jealous of others liking them. Lots of blushing. How sad they were to part ways. The gifts (lure and the handkerchief), and that fact that they have shown Ash still using them.

Contestshipping- All the roses from Drew. Drew making fun of May. When May is accused of liking Drew and she blushes.

ashiemore

Sorry I didn't answer the question back when I voted!

I support PearlShipping because Ash and Dawn have (in my opinion) really always looked out for each other and been the best friends in the show. This is my main ship, an I think of in whenever I watch most seasons. I'm an AdvanceShipper when I watch the advanced series, mostly just because Ash and may look so perfect together '.' I ship Jessie and James because, well, they both have similar motives, they are both Team Rocket, and it's the only main ship that's stuck around for all five series.

~ashiemore

Luthor

Pokeshipping-it's the original so at the time it was the obvious thing to do. Now a bit more is nostlagia. Plus they have some great interaction

Advanceshipping- i like it because of the fact they bicker but its less extreme than pokeshipping which I always think is a good thing. Again their interactions is interesting.

Pearlshipping- a similar vein to advance shipping the right level of arguments plus they also seemed quite well matched and absolutely great chemisty(well for this show)

Negaishipping- is different i support it because it explains a lot about iris.

rocketshipping- because they spend all their time together and even have been shown to share a bed.

When did you start shipping it

Pokeshipping- when i first watched the show during original tenure

advanceshipping- midway the advance gen but thats mostly because it didn't start watching til midway through.

pearlshipping- start of diamond and pearl

negaishipping- 5 episodes after the addition of cilan to the cast because when i came to realisation that to me cilan is gay I considered the idea what if both of them like him. After that thought i looked back and it explained so much.

rocketshipping when i first watched the show during original tenure

Do you think you'll always feel this way about this ship? Why or why not?

pokeshipping- i think the fandom sadly may kill this for me one day. I probably one day will take how some are just plain rude about non pokeshippers with regards to ash. Also i like pokeshipping fanfiction but i'm sick of it constantly being added to stories with ikarishipping and contestshipping . Show some variance please.

Advanceshipping- depends what shippings come in the future but i think i'll always like this one

Pearlshipping- agains i think i'll always like this one but i think it's more solid to me then others.

Negaishipping-i think it'll always exaplains iris actions to me but it may be one that i don't ship as much in the future

rocketshipping- strikes me as one I think i'll always ship to an extent.

Which hint(s) make this ship canon or most plausible in your eyes

Pokeshipping- misty's jealousy after ash was kissed in the movie

advanceshipping- the terracotta ribbon scene

pearlshipping- the fact that ash seemed more worried about her than he had been with any other girl.Also he never missed any of her contests and even began to adopt some of her mannerisms and techniques

negaishipping-the scnes of ash and iris just outcompeting each other on trivial things

rocketshipping- the fear hugs ,the fact that they are shown to share a bed and the training episode.

⊱✿RedAshEntropy

· MultiShipper ·
I'm terribly sorry I haven't answer after voting..
I ship mainly Ash's side ships and Misty'a side ships. I multi-ship a lot of characters even nevermets.XD The main leads of the series was the most fun to ship with each other and with other characters.

Pokeshipping -Pokeshipping was probably the first shipping I got into pokemon. It was fun seeing them argue and how they react to each other when they got into troubles; how they battle and how they tag battle, fight for Team Rocket ;The support they gave each other, the closeness they make, the cheers and corcerns for each other were some of the reasons why I like in this ship. There are some notable episode that made me re-watch the episodes again and again. i can't deny how I miss those good time when Misty was with Ash's journeys and I still hope to see her again with him and co. if ever got a chance. Pokeshipping already grows on me, even until now.

Contestshipping - The rose, the trademark of contestshipping never gets old in my memories. Despite how they become huge rivals in every contest, I can say that they can be a good battlers and good companions given a chance. I felt sometimes Drew was there to support May even he can be so tough on her, it's like it's one way of being close to her. As for May, I mabye not sure but I know she was encourage more when she sometimes see Drew doing so hard to reach his dreams. I don't know, Contestshipping one of the different cute things about shipping, and that rose.. I will never forget how May's reaction upon have it from Drew.

2 - When did you start shipping it?

Pokeshipping - At first I never thought of something shippy when I first watch pokemon's first episode. I was 6 when I first watch pokemon and for that all I can think was purely fun and adventure in watching animes. I was then when I start shipping Ash and Misty out. Though I never even know what shipping meant until I join the forumsXD That was the time I join in the thread expressing my love for this ship. One thing that made this ship sparks in my eyes was in the near end of the Master Quest episodes, that's when my heart bursting for more, more moments for both of them or just simply have more screentime for both of them. I felt disappointed back then when I saw Misty going back to the Cerulean City as a gym leader, I mean I just can't stand thinking Misty's gonna leave Ash. After that, I start rewatching the hints and episodes that focussed of them.

Negaishipping - I start to ship them for the very first time I saw them together. I like the new form of bonds between them and I like some new character on Ash's side. As the series goes on, I started to like some episodes where them seem to be cheering for themselves and how I find them cute together.

Pearlshipping, I can't deny the hints and the first time I saw them doing their high fives. I never really got into DP until I saw some episode that shows how the support each other during contest and battles also their clossness. Advanceshipping, Like Negai, I fall for these two when I first saw May in the AG series. The trainer and student relationship kinda works on them and that seems to be the thing that makes me like them.

I'm not quite sure, but since I started with pokeshipping..then I can say pokeshipping is one-sided one Misty's side. Ash maybe so dense and clueless when it comes to love but I can say Misty shows some hints than Ash's do. Her feelings couldn't reach that near to Ash's heart..since Ash was more focus on battles and pokemon. I do see Ash getting concerns with his friends and he will do his best to save them when they got hurt. I could see Ash doing that for all of his friends and companions. Contestshipping could be one-side on Drew and I still not sure if ever May do feel the same.
Until now, I see Ash's no ending with someone else partiularly..maybe not now..not yet. I still haven't think of some of my favorite ships being canon since it's not a romance-themed series. I guess as long as there are some moments and episode focused on some of my ships, I guess the cuteness will never end:)
I guess this is all for now.XD

Last edited:
1 - Why do you support this ship? (For instance, is it just the fanart that captures you, or is it the undeniable chemistry between the couple? Are they adorable together? Do you believe the writer's intended it to be canon? Is it the hints?) **Truth matters here, as does a serious reason, but by all means, squeal and gush about your ship here. I can go through it later and consolidate the points you were trying to make.
Ash and Dawn. They bond with each other so nature. They share their moments unlike another, so unique i never seen in 12 years of Pokemon.

2 - When did you start shipping it? Was it during its run or after it was over on-screen?
I sail with this ship since*their 1st high five.
3 - Do you think you'll always feel this way about this ship? Why or why not? (With this question, I aim to demystify what makes a ship last so long, even after it's dead in the anime, so being truthful and specific is KEY.)
I will sink with this ship =))
High Touch!

insanejames

Unorthodox Trainer
sorry for not voting got pull away by thing and forgot

wellfo me it's Negaishipping

1 - Why do you support this ship? (For instance, is it just the fanart that captures you, or is it the undeniable chemistry between the couple? Are they adorable together? Do you believe the writer's intended it to be canon? Is it the hints?) **Truth matters here, as does a serious reason, but by all means, squeal and gush about your ship here. I can go through it later and consolidate the points you were trying to make.

when i was watching the frist few episodes of black and white is saw a beautiful friendship starting. As the series when on i started seeing hints and i when on form there

When did you start shipping it? Was it during its run or after it was over on-screen?

i think it was during the Striaton City gym battle I thought Iris might have feeling for Ash and her statment like i not traving with you help reforce this for me given there age. i could go more in to detail if you would like (just ask) but i feel i answered your question

3 - Do you think you'll always feel this way about this ship? Why or why not? (With this question, I aim to demystify what makes a ship last so long, even after it's dead in the anime, so being truthful and specific is KEY.)

it feels the most natural to me so it might other character may come and go but out of all this seem to me proable in my eyes. I am also one who has been know to have strong unwavering opinion at time. i problay will sasport this for some time i not quite sure why tho, i think i just know it like i knew i would be still watching and playing pokemon a 21. sorry i couldn't be more help here.

i feel that the ones, like the Iris look when she was watching Ash's gym battle at Striaton City, and how she put her self in harms way to save Ash in "A Sandile Gusher of Change!"

Ash i feel i a little childish and my not understand love and the many thing that branch off it but i feel the chemisty is there and "you such a kid" is kind of a cute line, while true.

i can ponder more on this if you like more than happy to help

Xeice

At your expense
Ugh, I really thought I'd have more time to answer these. Casted my vote for Pokeshipping:

It's honestly one of the very few ship I've ever actively supported in a show, and easily the first that I ever did. From the amazing chemistry between the two, the myriad of hints, to the fact that she was the first person that he ever met on his journey and has been the most important influence he's ever had due to being somewhat of a mentor during his first few years as a trainer, it really was just set up fantastically from beginning to now.

2 - When did you start shipping it? Was it during its run or after it was over on-screen?

I saw Pokemon 2000 in theaters, and been shipping it ever since.

Absolutely, I'll actively ship it until the end of the show, regardless of whether or not they ever conclude the huge loose end that it is.

Oh man, every moment that Misty blushed (A Pokeball Peril, the second movie, A Date for Delcatty) or got jealous over other girls near Ash (Melody, Macy, the nurse Joy that she thought called Ash "cute", dropping Togepi after Latias kissed him); all done incredibly well and added depth to her character. Also, Ash actually acknowledging some sort of feelings and blushing after being accused by Team Rocket of being in love with Misty.

And even though it's not canon and dub-created, Misty's Song is just way too cute to not mention.

cf16polo

PEARLSHIPPING!!!!!!!!
because it´s the most realistic, i mean has a lot of hints like high touch and both have a lot of things in common like seeing a legendary pokemon the day that they started their journey ash hooh and dawn mesprit respectively

since DP started i since i watched dawn i knew that she was for him

yes i will, because it´s the only one with which i feel identificated, the same anime represent that this i´ll a canon

High touch opening no other girl had sang a opening before with ash

PearlS

I support Pearlshipping.

1. Why do you support this ship?

Ash and Dawn have more chemistry than Ash and other girls that Ash has seen trough years. Dawn and Ash has many similarities. Never before in Pokemon I have seen such great connection between Ash and the girl. They would be great couple.

2. When did you start shipping it? Was it during its run or after it was over on-screen?

I have been looking fanarts and reading this forum and rewatching some episodes that have hint in them. I haven't done any fanart or fanfictions and most likely won't. I'm more interested watching them than creating them.

3. Do you think you'll always feel this way about this ship? Why or why not?

Yes. Dawn and Ash has so much chemistry between them and there have been nice hints.

4. Which hint(s) make this ship canon or most plausible in your eyes?

Scene in the Rise of Darkai movie when Dawn and Ash were holding hands, high touch.

Last edited:

Quantum1024

Flaming Death
Continuing from my last post...
I designate PearlShipping (Ash/Dawn or サトシ/ヒカリ) to be my favorite ship...

Have you done fanart of this pair?
I suck at drawing.

Have you written fanfiction for this ship?
I suck at writing (fiction) as well.

Are you active in this ship's thread?
Not sure if lurking around (at least once a day) and making the occasional comment counts as being active.

Do you rewatch episodes that have hints for this ship?
Yes, certainly. Too bad the pipeline always get clogged up every time I try to watch. Living in the same time zone as China sucks.

Do you know all this ship's hints?
Not all, but enough to make an assessment.

Do you go looking for fanart/fanfiction for this ship?
Fanart, yes. Fanfiction, no.

Are you a part of any groups (anywhere) for this ship?
I am part of the Pearlshipping Facebook group, though I am a November-Null-Null-Bravo there.

Do you consider this ship an OTP of yours?
Yes, definitely.

Encyclopika

The Queen
So I suppose we're all done here. I'll be back tonight or tomorrow with some graphs and we can all discuss what they mean! :D Thanks to everyone who has responded!

Encyclopika

The Queen
Okay, well, that took way longer than I thought it would. I finally have the results, all compiled in nice graphs. I'll post the graphs, complete with some information and then my personal take on what the data says in yellow. Sorry I couldn't get the graphs to actually be shown in my post.

1. So, first, I got the final numbers - this graph shows who actually responded in the thread. Like I promised, anyone who didn't respond, their vote was not counted. But you can see that this graph and the raw one above are pretty much telling the same story. Pearlshipping got many more responses.

~~~~~http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/Encyclopika/Capture.png~~~~~

So, even among the most popular ships, there are still some much more popular than the others. Most notable, Pearlshipping is in the lead, with Wishfulshipping, Pokeshipping, Contestshipping, and Negaishipping falling seconds and thirds. How peculiar. Now, if we were to assume that ship popularity stems from how recent it is (whether or not it's still airing in the series) then Wishful, Negai, and Rocket shippings should have been most popular. And for this, we had a study. What is it about these in particular that make them last for years after they end?

2. This graph shows how people answered the first question - what is it about the ship(s) that makes you like it so much?

--"Romantic Hints" - was anything said that fell under actual events in the anime.
--"Chemistry" - stems from anything said that suggests the user likes the way the characters intermingled with each other, how their personalities blended together, etc. Very subtle hints fell under this category as well.
--"Friendship/Bond" - if the user mentioned how much they liked the friendship of the characters, or if the user mentioned any friendly acts (anything stemming from "support" "trust" and "fun together".
--"Aesthetics" - checked off whenever a user said the pairing was "cute" or "looked good together".
--"Fanart" - comes from any time a member mentioned how fanart or fanfiction attracted them to the ship.
--"Canon" - anytime a user mentioned that they could see the ship happening, or claiming that it actually was canon. Very strict use of the word "canon" was implemented.
--"N/A"- the user did not give a clear answer, didn't answer this question, or whose answer did not fit the other criteria.

The first picture is for each shipping on its own. The second picture is an average of how many people talked about each ship characteristic.

~~~~~http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/Encyclopika/Capture2.png~~~~~

~~~~~http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/Encyclopika/Capture1.png~~~~~

We can see from both graphs that the most important aspects of a ship is that the characters involved have good "chemistry" and that "Romantic Hints" back up this notion. How fascinating! This means that when most people pick a ship, they do it by intuition, and solidify it was actual hints, if they ever come by. The friendship or bond between characters is even less important, but still pretty important in a few notable ships, particularly any that had to do with Ash in particular.

The best part about the first graph is that you can see what is important to each ship's followers. For instance, "Romantic Hints" is THE most important thing to Contestshippers, while Pearlshippers gushed about their pair's "Chemistry" and "Friendship". Wishfulshippers cared most about "Chemistry" as well, whereas Advanceshippers cared most about Chemistry, but also "Aesthetics".

We also see in the second graph that canonity was really the least important thing.

3. This next graph is to the answers to the second question - when did you start shipping it? I didn't read everyone's explanations, since I was just looking for "During" or "After".

~~~~http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/Encyclopika/Capture3.png~~~~

We see here that most people who ship these ships started shipping it as it aired. Which leads me to guess that part of the longevity stems from the initial enjoyment and then the nostalgia that occurs after it ends. Where the nostalgia comes from would require another study, but from my own experiences, it comes from the persisting fanart and fanfiction and friends. It works in a loop. As people become nostalgic, they write/draw more of the ship, which then causes others to do the same or comment, which then gets back to the original writer/artist, making the love for the ship persist long after the initial spark is gone.

4. This next one is to the answers to the third question - if people were likely to continue liking the ship. "Maybe" came from any answers that were not definitive. "N/A" came from outright "I don't know"s and no answers.

~~~~http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/Encyclopika/Capture4.png~~~~

What we see here is that the vast majority of people who answered for their ship said they would continue to love it for a long time or forever. This is just more proof that these ships have "Staying Power" or the ability to keep fans interested. What needs to be kept in mind, though, is that some of these ships are already on their retirement - meaning that their longevity is obvious, where others are newer. Wishful and Negai are still airing, and so their actual longevity is in question. From this graph, we can see that Wishful can more staying power, however, another survey like this will need to be done to truly test it.

5. This last set of graphs pertains to the last question - what hints make the ship canon or most plausible to you. I tried my best to categorize the types of hints people were talking about. These answers not only came from this question, but also the first question, since a lot of you burnt yourselves out gushing about your ships on the first go. XD I'm confident this is an accurate representation of the answers.

--"Savior" - comes from any user mentioning a character saving another's life. Though I personally don't find this to be a romantic hint, it's up for debate.
--"Opposites Attract" - comes from any user mentioning this fiction-plot-device to make a pairing interesting. It's something authors use all the time to get the sexual tension going, so it can be considered a hint.
--"Bickering" - comes from any event mentioned that had to do with teasing, fighting, or apologizing for such events between characters.
--"Friendship" - comes from any event that can be seen as platonic - any rooting for the other character, helping, supporting, having fun together, etc.
--"Romantic Implications" - any miscellaneous or subtle romantic hints, such as deep staring, stalking, carefulness, etc.
--"Chemistry" - any place in which the user uses their intuition to make a claim about the pairing without any evidence, or saying their personalities blend well, or that they have a lot in common.
--"Jealousy" - any instance where one character gets jealous their partner is receiving attention from another character.
--"Items" - when a user mentions a certain trinket that signifies the relationship.
--"Other Character Opinion" - any mention where another character hints that the pair in an actual pair.
--"Blushing" - when the pair or one of the pair has blushed about the other.
--"No Comment" - came from any answer that did not mention an actual hint.
--"N/A" - the user didn't answer the question.

The first graph is for all the ships and the second is an average on how important each category was.
~~~~http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/Encyclopika/Capture6.png~~~~
~~~~http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/Encyclopika/Capture5.png~~~~

As we can see from the first graph, most ships depend on there to be "Romantic Implication" or something out of the ordinary to the viewer, as well as "Chemistry". Like the second graph in this study, it's fun to see what each ship on its own runs on.

For instance, Pearlshipping runs completely on small hints and a strong friendship. Contestshipping runs on a fair few major events, like blushing and romantic tokens. Pokeshipping also has a fair few major events, such as the opinion of other characters, blushing, and becoming jealous over the other. In fact, I find it very peculiar how older ships depend on large, obvious events, where as newer ships stand strong on a friendship, chemistry base, and have a fair few minor hints in trade. Very interesting.

If we look back at the staying power of these ships, we can see that they all had the majority of their answering fans say they would continue to love the ship. However, the missing piece of the puzzle here is time. Whereas our largest answering group was from Pearl, it isn't that old a ship. It hasn't been retired as long as Contest, Advance, and especially Poke. A second study a few years down the line will reveal if a ship based on friendship and minor events can stand the test of time as well as ships that stand on hard evidence.

For this, we can look at Advanceshipping for a clue. Back in the day, Advanceshipping was extremely popular, and it still has the fanfiction numbers and the fan thread to get it on this list. But look - its popularity has taken a nosedive. Only 5 people bothered to respond about it. We then look at the hints list, and we see that the ship floats on the evidence of an item, but after that, it is the same as it is for Pearlshipping and Wishfulshipping - Romantic Implication, Friendship, and Chemistry. From these patterns, I'm going to predict that Pearlshipping and eventually Wishfulshipping's popularity will die down.

I believe now that the longevity of a ship falls heavily on its ability to not only recruit new members, but to keep the old ones around for a long time. It appears that the longest lived ships have stood the test of time because of hard evidence afforded to them by the writers. The most popular ship in this study - Pearlshipping - does not stand on hard romantic evidence, but on the foundation of the pair's friendship and a few swaying hints, and because the fans take pride in that, it stands the test of time. Wishfulshipping is the next one to be tested. It is still on the air, so not much can be said for it. Negaishipping as well. In a few years time, ships like Comashipping, Ikarishipping, and Palletshipping will fall out of favor even more, if this survey has any foot in reality. Advanceshipping and Rocketshipping may not make it either.

So it's obvious - another study needs to be conducted next year. I hope to see you all there!

Last edited:
I hope it is okay to post my comments:x

Ah, I wish I had posted before it ended. Blame my laziness.

The analysis is accurate imo. You have done a good job Encyclopika :3

As a part-time PearlShipper, (I am a part-time Pokeshipper, part-time AdvanceShipper too...lol), I agree with the notion that Pealrshipping was built on the "Friendship" between these two. I bet most Pearlshippers believe that this strong friendship can evolve into something more. Pearlshippers indeed take pride in the "chemistry" between these two characters and is quite different from ContestShipping which has a million hints despite Drew being only a recurring character like the obvious blush after Hoenn Grand Festival etc, or the tons of hints Pokeshipping had.

Despite this Pearlshipping stands strong after one whole generation, however the true test to the Pearlshippers will be now. More and More new characters will be coming with XY. IMO, the reason Pearlshipping withstood a generation was due to Negaishipping not receiving much popularity in comparison to WishfulShipping.

However no matter how many new ships come, Pokeshipping and Pearlshipping will have a solid place in my heart. (It's weird but I see Kanto Ash and DP Ash as two different people). I do love Advanceshipping too, it's just that Contestshipping seemed a bit more interesting to me:x

Personally, I agree with Encyclopika that either ships will dip in popularity. But it's up to their respective shippers to keep them afloat.

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
Amen to Encyclopika's post. Though I do agree the activity from the advancer's are not that great as they use to be but if we are talking fanfiction wise, there has been a sudden boom in the AS fics for the last couple of months, i think activity is what a ship needs to be considered 'popular'

But I believe the more surveys are made, the better understanding we'll get about which ship is more 'popular' from the others. Thanks for doing this Encyclopika.

Encyclopika

The Queen
Despite this Pearlshipping stands strong after one whole generation, however the true test to the Pearlshippers will be now. More and More new characters will be coming with XY. IMO, the reason Pearlshipping withstood a generation was due to Negaishipping not receiving much popularity in comparison to WishfulShipping.
Great hypothesis!!!

Though I do agree the activity from the advancer's are not that great as they use to be but if we are talking fanfiction wise, there has been a sudden boom in the AS fics for the last couple of months, i think activity is what a ship needs to be considered 'popular'
I know...the response was not as great as I would have liked. I have to assume that the number of responses correlates to how many people "care". They may be writing lots of fic, but for this particular forum, the ASers weren't biting. ^_^; There's really no way better to get these reading than how I did it, considering I'm one person. I hate it - would have liked to have captured such details in the study. But that's why more must occur. :)

Thanks for commenting, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.