• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Shiny Discussion Of D/P 3

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 11515

Shiny Discussion Rules
  1. Discuss Shiny Pokemon only.
  2. Don't offer/request to trade
  3. Don't ask foolish questions, such as "How do I get a shiny?" Read the F.A.Q.
  4. Do not post unless you have a paragraph's (for this case, four good sentences) worth of information. We don't need separate posts for every little detail.
  5. Don't post just to say what you have been or will be soft-reseting/chaining for. This will be considered spam.
  6. If you don't wish to comply with the rules, you will be infracted for spamming.

If you want to discuss chaining shinies, please go here.

F.A.Q. from the old thread
1. Q: Shiny Pokemon? What are those?
A: Shiny Pokemon first appeared in the Gold and Silver games for the Gameboy Color. Basically, they are alternately colored Pokemon (for example, shiny Charizard is black instead of orange).

2. Q: Wow! Are shiny Pokemon more powerful?
A: Unfortunately, no. The ONLY difference between shinies and regular Pokemon is the color. They’re pretty much just for bragging rights.

3: Q: How can I find a shiny Pokemon?
A: Every Pokemon that you see in the wild, hatch from an Egg, get from an event (such as your starter, Beldum, etc) has the same chance of being shiny: 1/8,192. These are pretty high odds, so you need to be very lucky to come across one. There’s no place that they’re more common, and no surefire way to find one. You just need luck.

4: Q: But I’ve seen over 10,000 Pokemon in my game and haven’t found a shiny yet! That can’t be right!
A: 1/8,192 is a probability. That doesn’t mean that after 8,192 Pokemon, you will automatically find a shiny.
A good example of this is when you roll dice. You have a 1/6 chance of getting any particular number when you roll, such as the number 2. That doesn’t mean that you will roll a 2 in six rolls, or that your second roll will be a 2, etc.
The same goes for shiny Pokemon. You may find a shiny on your first try, or within a hundred tries, or maybe not until 10,000 tries.
To delve in a bit deeper, picture that whenever you encounter a Pokemon, a random number between 1 and 8,192 is generated. Let’s say that the number 500 is the “shiny number.” If 500 happens to be the random number that’s generated, the Pokemon will be shiny. If the number is anything else, it will be a normal Pokemon. Nice odds, aren’t they?

5: Q: If I breed a shiny Pokemon, will the baby from the Egg be shiny as well?
A: Unlike in G/S/C, where you had a higher chance of hatching shiny offspring when the parents were shiny, this is NOT true for any of the 3rd or 4th generation games. Every Pokemon has the same odds of being shiny, no matter what.

6: Q: What is this “soft resetting” thing I’ve been hearing about?
A: Soft resetting is when you press Start + Select + A + B to reset your gameboy (just like turning the system off and on). It’s helpful when trying to find a shiny of a Pokemon you can save in front of, such as your starter at the beginning, legendaries like the Regis and Rayquaza, etc. Save, soft-reset, see if the Pokemon is shiny, if not turn off your game and try again. Just like finding any shiny, this depends completely on luck, but if you’re patient you should eventually get your shiny. Keep in mind that this could take hours or days with luck, and months and months without.

7: Q: What does a shiny _____ look like?
A: The Pokedex on the main site shows sprites of every Pokemon:

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/

Just look up the one you want.

8: Q: How do I know if I have a shiny Pokemon?
A: Besides the change in color, a shiny Pokemon will sparkle when it comes into battle. There are also a couple changes on its summary page, which you can see on the main site’s shiny page (link above).

9. Q: When will I know if I’ve gotten a shiny starter?
A: When you’re choosing your starter, the game will show you a picture of each Pokemon. This picture will NOT show you whether that Pokemon is shiny or not. You will have to choose it and check its summary, or use it in battle, to find out if it’s shiny or not.

10. Q: Can I save before hatching my Egg, and reset until I have a shiny?
A: No. Unfortunately, everything about the Egg is set when you receive it, so you'll end up with the same Pokemon every time if you use this method. You can, however, save before you take the Egg from the Daycare man, hatch it, and reset until you have a shiny.

11. Q: If my shiny Pokemon evolves, will it stay shiny?
A: Yes. Shininess isn't something that changes.

12. Q: Do shiny Ditto transform into shiny versions of the opponent's Pokemon?
A: Unlike in older gens, if a shiny Ditto transforms into the opponent it will only be shiny if the opponent was shiny.

Have fun. :]

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigbob774

Chargin' meh laza
Thanks for re-making it.

I Found a random shiny Geodude earlier! I caught it, and was really happy. It has a quirky nature, and decent Iv's, I guess. It's better then nothing, as I never find random shinies. Should I evolve him to Golem, or not?

Edit: I started resetting for a Shiny Mudkip on my ruby earlier.

Last edited:

jordy123

Guardian Of Eterna
Nice to be the 2nd comment in what hopefully will be the start of a long forum
Im still training my shiny omanyte but im also training up my shiny team ...my shiny tyranitar is level 100 cant remember natures will post soon

good luck to everyone on their shiny hunts ...when i have time i will be hoping to get a few more shiny sycthers

S.H.L

Blah just battle
Alright so it looks like im the 3rd person to post here. What happened to the other threads?

- Anyway I was building my competatove team and i noticed that I need a really good pokemon and that would be a bronzong. But thats just me. I think I will chain for one.

Bigbob774

Chargin' meh laza
Nice to be the 2nd comment in what hopefully will be the start of a long forum
Im still training my shiny omanyte but im also training up my shiny team ...my shiny tyranitar is level 100 cant remember natures will post soon

good luck to everyone on their shiny hunts ...when i have time i will be hoping to get a few more shiny sycthers

That shiny Steelix is hawt. I love Gold Shinies, :s.

And you have a Shiny Mudkip! I can't wait to get mine.. I shall never give up! Just need to find my old Gameboy, so it's easier to reset..

Which is easiest to SR On, the GBA, the SP, or the NDS?

I own all three (And I still cherish my onyx/silver SP.. It's my baby) So I don't really care what I SR on.

Edit to S.H.L- Bronzor annoy me when I chain them. It should be easy with Magnet Pull, but nooo... Meh.

Best of luck to you getting your shiny.

jordy123

Guardian Of Eterna
That shiny Steelix is hawt. I love Gold Shinies, :s.

And you have a Shiny Mudkip! I can't wait to get mine.. I shall never give up! Just need to find my old Gameboy, so it's easier to reset..

I own all three (And I still cherish my onyx/silver SP.. It's my baby) So I don't really care what I SR on.

Edit to S.H.L- Bronzor annoy me when I chain them. It should be easy with Magnet Pull, but nooo... Meh.

Best of luck to you getting your shiny.

Thanks and just to let you know sadly the mudkip banner is only pokemon i like not ones i own..although i do own a shiny steelix and its level 100 for my team like tyranitar and metagross and yes gold do look great...sadly i dont have mudkip as thats a shiny i would really like and im not sure about the SR on different consoles i just use DS atm.

good luck with the brozor too and good luck to everyone else

Green_Celebi

Newest Random Shiny

I would say The Gameboy Micro is the Easiest to SR on. Because the buttons are so close, but since you don't have that, I would choose the GBA, or GBA SP.

Still No New Shinys for me, I haven't really SR'ed in a while xD I don't know what I want shiny anymore :D

Yeah, so I've spent 20ish hours trying to get shiny mudkip. Zigzagoon nor mudkip have been shiny.
How many of you have gotten a shiny mudkip and how long did it take?

Lugia4ever

LC Koffing Abuser
The only shiny I have in generations after crystal is slakoth. In silver I have a shiny legit Lugia from soft reseting.

S.H.L

Blah just battle
Wow yah It is annoying chaining Bronzor Lol. I have a shiny Probapass up front with magnet pull and it is getting really stupid now Lol. I just want this to be done. i got to 39 and it broke just like that. It is stupid Lol oh well * Starts a new chain*

Sorry about this spam. But, what happen to the shiny pokemon with the poke radar thread? Including the other shiny discussion thread? Or I'll be guessing that it has too many spams on those two threads. Sorry, mods. This is kinda spam.

S.H.L

Blah just battle
Just got a shiny Groudon on my ruby version about 10 minutes ago not to get off topic. But after that I cloned it and migrated it to my diamound version.

- Now that im in a really good mood, I think im gonna go and Chain for a shiny Bronzor. I like the color it is like a super army green.

Cain

RAWR
W00t! First to post a new Shiny in the new Shiny Thread! As some of you might remember, I've been fishing off Sunyshore for about 2 weeks now. Well, my efforts paid off! After about 29 hours and exactly 3,412 Pokemon fished, a Red Gyarados popped up! Was I ever surpised, because it's my second random Shiny in less than 3 weeks. Anyway, i'm at my grandparents at the moment, so I can't post pictures yet, but you can be sure I'll have them by tomorrow. Oh, and this is my 4th random Shiny, 15th in total. It's a Gentle Male, btw.

EDIT: Make that 2nd to post a new Shiny. Damn you, S.H.L! (But congratulations :p)

Ninjitsu15

Caught!
Aaah!! D:

I just started chaining for Hoppip, but I got Shellos first. And, when ?I got it, it was shiny! then I accidentally SRed, and Shellos is gone, now....Oh, well. It was Quirky, nothing good about that.

Connor69

i was just chaining Houndooms. man they look sweet on Pearl, id never seen it on Pearl before. Or Diamond for that matter. Im currently at 19 chain with it. i hope to get one. :S

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
A few days ago I bought a second copy of Pearl, so now I'm SR'ing for a shiny Turtwig. I forgot how long it takes to do one SR for a 4th gen starter... I hope it shows up soon.

Good luck everyone.

Bigbob774

Chargin' meh laza
W00t! First to post a new Shiny in the new Shiny Thread! As some of you might remember, I've been fishing off Sunyshore for about 2 weeks now. Well, my efforts paid off! After about 29 hours and exactly 3,412 Pokemon fished, a Red Gyarados popped up! Was I ever surpised, because it's my second random Shiny in less than 3 weeks. Anyway, i'm at my grandparents at the moment, so I can't post pictures yet, but you can be sure I'll have them by tomorrow. Oh, and this is my 4th random Shiny, 15th in total. It's a Gentle Male, btw.

EDIT: Make that 2nd to post a new Shiny. Damn you, S.H.L! (But congratulations :p)

Make that.. No, not even close.

The very first post on this thread is of somebody saying they got a new shiny- A random Geodude. So your excitement, is now null. :D.

I was SRing earlier. It's already gotten boring, and I think the Advance is the best to SR on. I was chaining Mareep earlier, but it broke to a Pachirisu at 32.

I was going to chain Pachirisu, but I realized I already had six legit, un-clones ones :s.

Anyway, what Pokemon shinies forms are gold?

I know Geodude, Magikarp (Both of which I have) Vulpix (Which I can't get because I don't have the game I need to insert).. Mightyena (Which A chain broke at 39 for.. ROAR) But what else?

Status
Not open for further replies.