• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official SPP Death Note Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guardian Spirit Raina

Oh, god, I love all the dramatic gestures they pull off in the anime. The scenes from the first episode (may have been the second one) where Light is writing in the Death Note always makes me laugh. Same with his chip-eating. Mikami does this too. xD He's practically dancing around the room.

That, and the tennis match between L and Light always makes me laugh. They overthink it way too much.

UberSorcerer

Ah Death Note, have yet to read your Manga. Got the first two movies, seen the third one. For Anything to Movie, even with the B-grade Special effects, make for some enjoyable movies. I realy could care less what some otakus may say, they are quite kind to the source material. Am not looking forward to that rumored western version though. Bad casting and "creative choices" will probably kill it.

As for the Anime, upto vol 4, the interigation part. Aside from Light's VA, I like it. He makes Light realy an unlikable fellow at times.

Guardian Spirit Raina

Well, the DN movie technically already came out, it had a limited release in theaters. I'm looking forward to it, actually. It'll probably have a dub/sub switch, and the DN dub is actually pretty good.

Evil Darkrai

I've seen the first movie and a little bit of 2, both subbed.

I think the movies where made before the anime.

Rave

Banned
I've seen the first movie and a little bit of 2, both subbed.

I think the movies where made before the anime.

Using numbers to talk isn't the slightest bit cute.

The anime was being developed before that, as it takes alot longer than making a movie.

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
Well... I just finished watching the last episode (thus concluding the entire series) about half an hour ago, so I decided to venture into the thread now not fearing any sort of spoilers.

All in all, I thought that the series on the whole was absolutely magnificent. Pure genius. I absolutely loved the psychological warfare that went on all through the series - really gives some food for thought. The web of psychology, reverse-psychology and then furthermore reverse-reverse-psychology was just so incredibly deep and intricate.

L by far was the best character in my opinion. I just loved all his mannerisms, holding things oddly, sitting oddly, eating insurmountable amounts of sweet foods. Just great.

Now as I said before, I thought the series on the whole was excellent. However, in all honesty I must say it did go downhill a noticeable amount following L's death. Don't get me wrong, it was still good after it, but just not the 5 star (in my opinion) quality of the episodes previous to that.

On another perhaps more aesthetic note, I'd like to mention the opening themes. For the one that played in episodes 1-19 ("the WORLD" by Nightmare) I loved that song. Really great song and really good visual opening too. But, whatever the opening song was that followed was just awful I thought. Did not suit the show at all in my opinion. The visuals were alright I spose, but the song... just no...

Guardian Spirit Raina

What Up, People?! is the second theme, by Maximum the Hormone. (I think.)

But I know what you mean. It's even hard to follow with your eyes. I can't even make out the words, to be honest, when I'm following along with the lyrics...

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
genius. I absolutely loved the psychological warfare that went on all through the series - really gives some food for thought. The web of psychology, reverse-psychology and then furthermore reverse-reverse-psychology was just so incredibly deep and intricate.

The psychological warfare that became prominent in the series was what got me hooked in the first place. It delivered a sense of looming events and such that kept you on the edge of your seat up until the credits for the final episode were over.

One of the main parts that was extremely riveting was Near's final explanations that occurred about halfway through volume 12 (I'm not sure when it occurred in the anime). The amount of double-negative style moves in the explanation was great; and the ending was one of the best anime endings of all time. In my book, its right up there with The End of Evangelion, though not as mysterious. Light's death was inevitable, but the plot twists that led to it were simply amazing.

bookist

i like the fact that its not just hacking with swords and their is actually some strategy involved (its the apocolypse strategy in anime)

HK

Radiance of Shadows
i like the fact that its not just hacking with swords and their is actually some strategy involved (its the apocolypse strategy in anime)

If you mean incredibly ludicrous reasoning and over-the-top and overblown cat and mouse games, sure.

I mean, I dunno, people just shouldn't take the series so seriously. It drops any pretension to tackle morality after the first episode, pretty much. The author even states that he intended to just make an entertaining story, and that's all.

Rave

Banned
Funny how he's actually proving that to us now so far with his latest installment, Bakuman. =P

Rave

Banned
Funny how he's actually proving that to us now so far with his latest installment, Bakuman. =P

Twixted Mind

Psychotic Tracey fan
To be honest, during most of the sereies, I wasn't sure who to root for; Obvously, a world without crime would be cool, but not if I have to obey some maniacal, potato-chip-eating, God-complexed serial killer with a magic notebook. And as much fun as a Death Note could be (one can be VERY creative in how somebody dies), if it means turning into an arrogant psycho like Light did, no thank you. Not even if I was promised a bound and gagged Matsuda to do with as I please.

I loved Death Note, my favourite anime. All of the characters were awesome in their own ways (except Near) and the story was well thought out and well pulled off.

Favourite character would have to be L. He was awesome. The sitting, the manners, the eating. Although it sucked when he carked it, I didn't like any of the other characters anywhere near as much as him. ;~;

I hear a lot of people saying it sucks post episode 25, which I am torn between agreeing and disagreeing with. Sure, L isn't there, and Near is. But Mello is there with his epic chocolate eating skills, and the story is still pretty good. Near really ruins it though.

HoennMaster

This is my newest anime. Started watching it a couple weeks ago when the began the re-runs and was hooked right away. I can't wait to read the manga.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
I really wish the Anime used the manga's ending, but I hear mixed opinions of which has the better ending. Why did it have to decline after episode 25?

Flln_Angel473

Jam lover
-sigh- my friend's crazy for our sweet-loving detective. We get into so many play-fights about who's better.

I say
Anyone who hasn't read Death Note Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases should.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
No L. End of story. I guess they had to find a way to kill him off to lengthen the series.

Didn't the author want to have a 3-way thing going on though, so he brought in Near and Mello? It would have been cooler if Mello had finished Light though.

Status
Not open for further replies.