• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official SPP Football Thread- 2008-2009

King Of Steel

I'MA USE AYSE PHANG!
...Spurs are ultimate failures. They suck. Right to the point that they had to go for Defoe, someone they sold and never really gave first-team chances to, despite his quality and his pace. >_> I hope Defoe doesn't go back. They're not worth it.

Dark Arceus

Worst. Name. Ever.
Apparently Drogba busied himself with theatrics more than scoring against Southend, seeing as how he managed to miss several simple chances. Now I seriously wonder why did Chelski want to keep him - he's useless when he hasn't got the motivation. He's not like some players where he can play at 30-50% and still manage to impact the game.

In that sense, Drogba is the same as Berbatov. At Tottenham, Berbatov was the star player, and he got the freedom he needed. He was almost guaranteed a starting place in most games. Then, he had a sulk when Spurs started losing, went to Man Utd. and suddenly found he had to compete for his place in the team with players that were as good as, if not better than, himself. This won't give him the confidence he needs and therefore he underperforms.

The same has mostly gone for Drogba. Since he was signed 4 seasons back, he's been their star striker, much like Berba was at Tottenham. And, much like Berba at Tottenham, he was almost guaranteed a starting place. However, now that Anelka has started to play well and, more importantly, is scoring more goals than Drogba, he finds he is fighting for his place, once again like Drogba, due to Big Phil's resilience to play the two together (although this has softened recently.) As he is not playing as regularly before, his confidence has dropped and therefore his performances have dropped due to his lack of motivation.

...Spurs are ultimate failures. They suck. Right to the point that they had to go for Defoe, someone they sold and never really gave first-team chances to, despite his quality and his pace. >_> I hope Defoe doesn't go back. They're not worth it.

Says a Gunner. May I note that the last time Spurs won a major trophy was last season and the last time you did was 4 years ago. Does that make you failures?

King Of Steel

I'MA USE AYSE PHANG!
Please, the Carling Cup wasn't worth it. After all, Spurs practically played their strongest squad throughout - them winning wasn't surprising (Chelsea did the same for the final, but lost). And heck, the Carling Cup isn't a major trophy. Get that right. It's not a major trophy like the FA Cup or the Champions League.

And it's better than languishing near the relegation zone. Whatever they won, they still can't break into the top four. So much talk about that, but nothing delivered. Not to say I don't have prejudice against them, but it's the truth. They do suck.

If they can back up their reputation with good results, then I'll be convinced they aren't poor.

Last edited:

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Worthless cup

Dark Arceus said:
Says a Gunner. May I note that the last time Spurs won a major trophy was last season and the last time you did was 4 years ago. Does that make you failures?
No, but we've consistently been in the top 4 for at least 10 years.

Dark Arcerus,the carling cup is and will never be a major trophy. I really hope burnely win it this year,I think it's their best chance of winning anything.

Just saw this on sky sports news: Denilson -> Bolton
(not confirmed or completley finished yet just talks for now)

Last edited:

1ee7leader

I want Burnley or Derby to win the Carling Cup, at least let them have something...will they qualify for Europe if they win...?

1ee7leader

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
They won't but...

1ee7leader said:
I want Burnley or Derby to win the Carling Cup, at least let them have something...will they qualify for Europe if they win...?
They'll go to the qualifying rounds of the UEFA Cup Europa League but either way if they win they'll just get knocked out in the qualifying rounds.

1ee7leader

They'll go to the qualifying rounds of the UEFA Cup Europa League but either way if they win they'll just get knocked out in the qualifying rounds.
Yeah, wouldn't be very funny if they qualified past those stages then through groups?!

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
I hope we aren't 'Russian' into anything.....Oh god, that was bad

It appears that Arsenal are in discussion with Zenit about signing Arshavin. Coolio.

BREAKING NEWS - Zenit Chief: We Are In Talks With Arsenal About Arshavin
Arsenal fans will be relieved to hear that manager Arsene Wenger will be making at least one big bit of business this transfer window...

In the long-term absence of perma-crocked Czech Republic star Tomas Rosicky, and the four month lay-off of young playmaking captain Cesc Fabregas, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has been linked with a replacement who can pull the strings in the erstwhile.

Despite reports to the contrary suggesting the buy would be too flambouyant, confirmation has just this moment arrived that Arsenal are indeed in talks with Zenit St Petersburg over Russian attacker Andrei Arshavin.

A Zenit chief today told Sky Sports: "We have been in discussion with Arsenal now for some time.

"They are hoping that a deal will be concluded within the next ten days to two weeks."

It is no secret that Zenit value the Russian international at £20 million, and if Arsenal were to pay the full amount, then it would smash the club's record.

The Gunners paid £13 million for Sylvain Wiltord in August 2000. In the winter window in 2003- 04, the fee paid for Jose Reyes was initially £10 million, but could have risen to £17 million due to top ups, but was unlikely to dwarf the transfer for Wiltord

Very good for arsenal they needed a playmaker.He's a good buy.Good thing they bought him before city.Which makes me think that Denilson will leave for bolton to help pay for Arshavin.

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
It's the old one

Dark Dragonite said:
Very good for arsenal they needed a playmaker.He's a good buy.Good thing they bought him before city.Which makes me think that Denilson will leave for bolton to help pay for Arshavin.
Wrong Denilson.

Fenix

Tremulant
Thing is, Arshavin is already 27 and Arsenal doesn't usually buy players that are +25.

That apart, I personally think Arshavin and Rosicky have a very similar play style, so I don't really know if it's a good transfer; not to mention the fact that he hasn't been able to repeat his Euro 2008 form till now...

Thunder Giant

Forza Rossoneri!
Denilson to Bolton, what a surprise! Denilson was good, but now, he isn't that good anymore. I won't be surprised if he fails at Bolton.

Defoe to Spurs has been comfirmed.

Mayziken

Advanceshipping<3
So far there are 13 clubs from PL that have not bought any players yet. Liverpool, Villa, Spurs and Hull are only 4 of those clubs

Liverpool do not seems to be buying any new players soon and must likely won't be buying anyone this transfer window

And for the game Derby-Man.U I have only two words: Go Derby :D

Last edited:

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Let's hear it

So, Team that couldn't even rack up two wins in the Premier League: 1 World champions: 0

I eagerly await the excuses.