• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official SPP Football Thread - 2009-2010

Fenix

Tremulant

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
You know when you've been tangoed

Well, there goes Phil Brown.
I'm not really sure about the purpose of putting him on gardening leave right at this stage of the the season as the last thing a team that's fighting for survival needs is instability such as this. Who is going to be the replacement and will they even have enough time to make an impact for their remaining games?

They're only a 3 points adrift and to be honest it's not as if the other teams around them are dead certs to win their matches so I think they could have stayed up, but now I'm not so sure.

Fenix

Tremulant
Ash-kid said:
That's what you are trying to do, not me.
That's why even though I've been here 2 years before you, I have 5000 posts less than you. Yeah, I am the one looking to raise his postcount.

Oh and you never pm'd me to tell me to post in this thread 'cause your post was the last one and you didn't want to double post!

Also, next time you want to say something, do it in here, please.

Liverpool 2-1 Portsmouth

I thought the Brown decision was weird too. They could've definitely stayed up if they'd kept him but b/c of the instability the move will cause I don't think it'll happen now. Granted I never liked him but from a Hull perspective the move hardly made sense. At least wait until after the campaign when relegation's been confirmed.
That's why even though I've been here 2 years before you, I have 5000 posts less than you. Yeah, I am the one looking to raise his postcount.
lol.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Liverpool 2-1 Portsmouth
I think that Liverpool scored 4 goals.

I thought the Brown decision was weird too. They could've definitely stayed up if they'd kept him but b/c of the instability the move will cause I don't think it'll happen now. Granted I never liked him but from a Hull perspective the move hardly made sense. At least wait until after the campaign when relegation's been confirmed.
He was guilty in the team's situation. Only this strange decision that he will not enter more to the stadium, it's really weird. What, he gonna hit someone?

It was a prediction. look at the time I posted it.

Tuesday March 16
EPL
Wigan Athletic 0-1 Aston Villa

Champions league
Chelsea 3-1 Internazionale
Sevilla FC 1-2 CSKA Moskva

BTW, Overheat. I think you should give the points even though Mayziken has disappeared. I think it's unfair to the other people who predict the EPL(like me) who want to know how many points they're got. I assume we can all count or have a calculator.(and I'd like to know whether or not I've still got the most points)

Hull sacking Brown at this stage might be a bad idea, but we don't know who they're going to appoint as the new manager.

Last edited:

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
It was a prediction. look at the time I posted it.

Tuesday March 16
EPL
Wigan Athletic 0-1 Aston Villa

Champions league
Chelsea 3-1 Internazionale
Sevilla FC 1-2 CSKA Moskva

BTW, Overheat. I think you should give the points even though Mayziken has disappeared. I think it's unfair to the other people who predict the EPL(like me) who want to know how many points they're got. I assume we can all count or have a calculator.(and I'd like to know whether or not I've still got the most points)

Hull sacking Brown at this stage might be a bad idea, but we don't know who they're going to appoint as the new manager.

Its kind of late you know....2-3 months have passed....

Inter Milan had a deserved victory i guess. Looks like Mourinho's 'overconfidence' payed off. They're gonna be a tough team to beat. CSKA is also through with a win over Sevilla.

I think Ancelotti might get the sack if he fails to win the League...things are going badly with Chelsea after Mourinho left....

Stuttgart vs. Barcelona today and Bordeaux vs. Olympiacos. I'm voting for Stuttgart! Not impossible, but with an in-form Messi, it'll be a daunting task...

Wednesday 17th March
UEFA Champions League

19:45 Barcelona 2-1 VfB Stuttgart(cannot see stuttgart winning this one...)
19:45 Bordeaux 1-1 Olympiacos

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Samuel Eto'o goal booked Inter's place in the quarter-finals of the Champions League with a 1-0 win at Chelsea, 3-1 on aggregate. Well, i didn't think Chelsea might lose to Inter in their home, I guess I was wrong. Jose Mourinho's plan worked superbly.

UEFA Champions League
Barcelona 3-0 Stuttgart
Bordeaux 1-0 Olympiacos

Its kind of late you know....2-3 months have passed....

That's true, but what's going to happen when Mayziken returns?(or not) Are we just going to leave it this way or are we going to give the scores?

Wednesday March 17
FC Barcelona 2-1 VfB Stuttgart
Girondins Bordeaux 1-0 Olympiacos

This season's champions league is a great one. There is no country that has the upper hand.(England's got two teams and I expect France to have two as well) With 1 Italian, 1 Russian, 1 German and (probably) 1 Spanish side, there are teams there from all over Europe. Which, IMO, is a good thing.

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Lots of teams have a chance

Ah but the question is, who has the best chance of winning the Champions League this year?

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
Hmm, this is shaping up to be one of the most interesting Champions Leagues for a while. Being an Arsenal fan of course, I cannot complain about our position.

But it looks tough. We will have to contend with the champions of England, Spain, Italy and France, as well as the current leaders of the German Bundesliga.

I reckon I'd be most pleased with drawing Lyon than the other teams. Although they've done great in the Champions League up until this point (beating Liverpool away, Fiorentina at home, knocking out Real Madrid), they're very hit and miss in their league. Not that anyone should underestimate them, but I feel they'd be the side we'll have the most comfort against.

CSKA Moscow are also an odd side. At first glance you'd rate them easier than Lyon, but I seem to recall them taking four points off us in the group stage a few years back. (Although that was mostly due to our prolificacy) Plus winning in Sevilla is something not many teams in Europe do, but they pulled it off.

Bayern will be a challenge but I reckon it's something Arsenal are well capable of overcoming. Despite Internazionale knocking out Chelsea I don't rate them all that highly, but we'd most definitely need to be at the top of our game.

Bordeaux are my dark horses (and personal favourite of the remaining teams) to win the tournament. They're being largely glanced over whilst they've done barnstormingly well in the Champions League so far, beating Bayern twice in the process, so they may catch some by surprise. French teams have done surprisingly well in the Champions League this season, something that hasn't happened for a few seasons (probably when Monaco reached the final a few years back). Nontheless it is not at all impossible for Arsenal to overcome the threat.

As much as I hate to admit it, drawing Barcelona or Man Utd could result in a very sticky end to our Champions League campaign. On our day we could of course beat them, but these are two teams coming off the back of very impressive 4-0 wins in their second legs. The best hope for Arsenal is that they draw each other, therefore one of the main two threats are removed.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
As i thought, Bordeaux (2-1) and Barcelona (4-0) have qualified to the next step in the Champions League. No special suprise.

Saturday March 20

Aston Vila 2-0 Wolves
Everton 1-1 Bolton
Wigan 0-1 Burnley
Stoke City 1-2 Tottenham
Sunderland 3-1 Birmingham City
Portsmouth 1-0 Hull City
Arsenal 3-0 West hum

yhyiannis

Cosmic Sea
Hey everyone, I just saw this thread and thought I'd jump into the discussion. I don't know if I'm allowed to predict though as the first post just says that you can predict but not when the predictions can stop coming in?

Anyway, I'm an Arsenal fan, and I agree with The Benmeister that drawing Barcelona or Manchester United is not what we want. I really don't agree with Wenger saying that he wants to play Manchester United or Chelsea (even though the latter are now out), we would only be able to win on our day, and we can be very inconsistent so it's not worth the chance.

Since the beginning of the Champions League this year, I've said that either Inter or Chelsea are looking the strongest to win it and I'm sticking with that prediction. Inter are looking right up to their game in this tournament.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Hey everyone, I just saw this thread and thought I'd jump into the discussion. I don't know if I'm allowed to predict though as the first post just says that you can predict but not when the predictions can stop coming in?
You can post here your predictions for the games that played in the English Premier League or the Champions League.
Anyway, I'm an Arsenal fan, and I agree with The Benmeister that drawing Barcelona or Manchester United is not what we want. I really don't agree with Wenger saying that he wants to play Manchester United or Chelsea (even though the latter are now out), we would only be able to win on our day, and we can be very inconsistent so it's not worth the chance.

Since the beginning of the Champions League this year, I've said that either Inter or Chelsea are looking the strongest to win it and I'm sticking with that prediction. Inter are looking right up to their game in this tournament.
Well Wenger said that Just to create a deterrent and to show "I'm not afraid of anybody". He knows his team is not good as Barcelona and Man United. The currently strongest team is probably Barcelona. Inter is a great team but they also lost to them (0-2 in the group stage). And I think Bordeaux can give a good appearance as well.

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
That's true, but what's going to happen when Mayziken returns?(or not) Are we just going to leave it this way or are we going to give the scores?

Wednesday March 17
FC Barcelona 2-1 VfB Stuttgart
Girondins Bordeaux 1-0 Olympiacos

This season's champions league is a great one. There is no country that has the upper hand.(England's got two teams and I expect France to have two as well) With 1 Italian, 1 Russian, 1 German and (probably) 1 Spanish side, there are teams there from all over Europe. Which, IMO, is a good thing.

You know what? I think we should estimate our points. Too many games have been missed. You predicted more than me. I think you should get about 70 more points and me 50 more points? And others, 20?

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Quarter finals for them

Fulham, I'm impressed. It looked like it was over when Juventus got that first goal but they managed to fight back and the red cards and penalties helped and they've managed to beat the holders and Juventus to get to the quarter finals. I'm very impressed but I don't think they could win it.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Fulham maybe proved that what happened to Chelsea was accidental. Don't know, I don't think they will win eventualy the Cup. Who can win are Liverpool and Hamburg, and the final, by the way, will be held at their home stadium.