• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official SPP Football Thread - 2009-2010

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
James should stay to be a Goalkeeper. He wants to be a manager of a club that coming very close to a bankruptcy? Few could have expected this to happen. Now let's see what's gonna happen with James. I wonder if he will play for England in the World Cup. In my opinion, is no longer focused on football.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Two massive games on later today. Cardiff vs. Blackpool followed by Bayern Munich vs. Inter Milan. Opinions?

I'll go with Cardiff City. I think they still have a chance to make it to the Premier League. As for the Champions League's final, I think Inter will win the cup. Robben's goals have been an important part of Bayern Munich's success in reaching the final, but I think without Ribery it will be very hard.

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
Two massive games indeed. I'd love Blackpool to win but i think Cardiff has a better chance of surviving in the Premier League since they're an established Top 7 side in the Championship. They're also the favourites for this match, but anything can happen.

As for Inter Milan and Bayern Munich....i seriously still cannot see a winner here. So much is at stake. A CL Trophy, a domestic treble, manager records and determining the number of Champions League places! Its almost like a World Cup final between Italy and Germany! Even without Ribery, i still think the game is 50-50. Love to see Robben and Sneijder faceoff....at the Bernabeau! Where they were 'kicked' out from! Now they're the jewels of their team. Oh the irony!

Benitez still thinks he gonna stay at Livepool because there are 4 years remaining in his contract. I think he should leave, especially after what happened this year. It was a big failure.

I think he deserves a second chance, everyone can have a bad season. But he should go if they fail to get champions league football again next season.

Saturday May 22
Bayern München 0-1 Internazionale

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Just have a little...patience

Such is the problem with fans nowadays, the team has one extremely bad season and the fans call for the manager to be sacked. Stability is an important thing in football and fans would do well not to forget it. Many of them are obsessed with success straight away that they aren't even willing to give the manager a chance to bring his own team (in the case of Roberto Mancini). As much as I don't really care much for Liverpool and all, I'd be surprised if they weren't back in the top 4 if not challenging for the title next season, I predict that this season was just merely a blip, it happened to Arsenal when Aston Villa were threatening to take their spot and I predict the same is happening to Liverpool though it'll be harder what with the increased number of challengers for the top 4.

BlazeShadow

I don't like Inter that much, but still, an Italian team is an Italian team and I hope they will win today.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I think he deserves a second chance, everyone can have a bad season. But he should go if they fail to get champions league football again next season.

Saturday May 22
Bayern München 0-1 Internazionale

He already had a second chance in this year, after he almost won the championship last year. A club like Liverpool can't require to get to the champions league from the 4th place. He should try to win the championship in every year and if not, Liverpool won't be considered as a big club.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
Awesome stuff Blackpool, played some great football today against Cardiff and who can begrudge them their place in the Premier League. Arguably the 'smallest' team to reach the coveted land.

In fact one of the more hilarious facts of this football season is that at the end of this current season, Blackpool's ground - Bloomfield Road - has a capacity of 12,555, and they are on their way to the Premier League. Conversely Darlington's ground - the Darlington Arena - when the stadium is fully used, has a capacity of 25,294, and they have been relegated to the Conference. Oops.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
So Inter won the Champions league. They did a massive defence the whole game but Milito was just awesome and scored two goals.
It's strange that Mourinho leaves Inter now. Now he goes to Real Madrid, but I think he should stay in Italy. Real Madrid won't win the Champions League even if he will come, they've been falling in the eighth finals every year since 2005.

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
So Inter won the Champions league. They did a massive defence the whole game but Milito was just awesome and scored two goals.
It's strange that Mourinho leaves Inter now. Now he goes to Real Madrid, but I think he should stay in Italy. Real Madrid won't win the Champions League even if he will come, they've been falling in the eighth finals every year since 2005.

I know, its so ironic when Real Madrid fans call themselves Kings of Europe, seriously! I hate it when fans gloat about their fav. team's past when at the present, they stink. Like Liverpool.

Real Madrid have all the money and can buy(i prefer to say steal) all the best and established players of the best clubs and still end seasons without silverware....a perfect example of the expression "Money cant buy everything!"

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I know, its so ironic when Real Madrid fans call themselves Kings of Europe, seriously! I hate it when fans gloat about their fav. team's past when at the present, they stink. Like Liverpool.

Real Madrid have all the money and can buy(i prefer to say steal) all the best and established players of the best clubs and still end seasons without silverware....a perfect example of the expression "Money cant buy everything!"

And that is what Mourinho will try to do there, make them to come as an underdog, as he came up with Inter against Barcelona.
The problem is that Real's fans will not accept it if he will do too much defence in his game, they want to attack. After this season I am sure that Real Madrid will not buy so many players as the last year. They should keep the same players and no replace them all.

He already had a second chance in this year, after he almost won the championship last year. A club like Liverpool can't require to get to the champions league from the 4th place. He should try to win the championship in every year and if not, Liverpool won't be considered as a big club.

Arsenal isn't a big club then?

Ash-kid

Ash-kid

Yes they are. But at least they come every year and declare that they are going to win the championship. They are just not good enough, it does not mean they are not a big club.
The problem of Liverpool is that they might declare each year from now "Our goal is to finish in fourth place", What people in Arsenal don't saying because they know that the fourth place is something basic for them.

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Like it or not Liverpool are a big club

Yes they are. But at least they come every year and declare that they are going to win the championship. They are just not good enough, it does not mean they are not a big club.
The problem of Liverpool is that they might declare each year from now "Our goal is to finish in fourth place", What people in Arsenal don't saying because they know that the fourth place is something basic for them.
Yeah, I think you missed the sarcasm there.

Anyway, that is just wrong. Liverpool have a huge fanbase and following and usually do well in cup competitions in Europe, they do always intend to challenge for the title except it just hasn't worked out this season. They can still attract the better players in the world as well so to say that that they aren't going to be considered a big club on the basis of one season is a bit presumptuous.

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
Anyone watched England's friendly with Mexico?

Awful performance, even though they won 3-1. Midfield and defense was torn apart and Capello should really get his team sorted otherwise they'll just keep playing like individuals and try to prove who should be on the plane.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
Capello's lineup was intended to be experimental, but the performance wasn't very good regardless.

All I can say is that if we play like that and still 3-1 then it can only mean good things when we start playing well.

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Positive note for me

I see a lot of people saying that it was awful I'm not seeing why it is justified really. I know the "but it's not his best squad" argument is usually applied way too many times in similar situations but I think to be fair to them it really wasn't. Could you honestly say Ashley Cole who is possibly one of the best left backs in the world would let the Mexican wingers dominate him as they did to Baines? Not just him but Frank Lampard, John Terry and Joe Cole (though I have no idea where he fits into the line-up) probably wouldn't have allowed the same freedom to the Mexicans as Carrick, Milner and King did.

Also consider that if this was a quarter final (which could happen if events go that way) then a 3-1 victory is actually pretty good especially as that was a weak England team. So I'd have confidence that if that team can handle it then what's stopping the 1st choice players from winning as well? Useful to know in the event of injuries and suspensions.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Anyway, that is just wrong. Liverpool have a huge fanbase and following and usually do well in cup competitions in Europe, they do always intend to challenge for the title except it just hasn't worked out this season. They can still attract the better players in the world as well so to say that that they aren't going to be considered a big club on the basis of one season is a bit presumptuous.

They are doing a liquidation sale now. They have lots of debts they should pay. They may remain a big club, but in the next few years they are probably not going to challenge the title.

England's problems, regardless of this game are:

-Gerrard and Lampard can't play together. Every manager in the world want them in his team but somehow they do not get along together
-Striker. None of England's strikers is good enough. Peter Crouch and Emile Heskey can't play with Wine Rooney

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Where to play Stevie G

England's problems, regardless of this game are:

-Gerrard and Lampard can't play together. Every manager in the world want them in his team but somehow they do not get along together
It's not because they don't get on but rather because of their similarities managers can't really use them and the rest of the team to the best effect. Both are considered too attacking to play in a 4-4-2 formation and even if Gerrard is told to go in a more defensive role you aren't really getting the best out of him and in my opinion you'd get a better defensive job from someone who is naturally a defensive player. I've seen managers try to counter act this by playing him on the wing but again you aren't getting the best from him in that position plus he has a tendency to drift inside which leads to problems, nor does he offer the full back much defensive help. The only solution is to play a defensive player as well as Gerrard and Lampard in the middle but that sacrifices a striker (or a defender if rumours of a 3-5-2 formation is to be believed) and England lose out in other positions and potentially have to drop a very good player from the squad. I think England have too many good players in one positions and average players in others such as wingers and strikers although...

-Striker. None of England's strikers is good enough. Peter Crouch and Emile Heskey can't play with Wine Rooney
Where did you get the idea that Heskey can't play with Rooney? Or that Peter Crouch isn't a good enough striker for England?

Heskey's role is to hold up play and to bring others into the game and it worked quite well in the qualifiers with Rooney. Crouch's goal ratio speaks for itself to be honest.