• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official SPP Football Thread - 2009-2010

Fenix

Tremulant
I think Zürich were really lucky yesterday, but that doesn't mean we were good. We were horrible. I'm really worried now, Real looks twice as scary as before... I'm hearing that Berlusconi has plans for the next season and is going to make big changes, hope it's true.

At least Fiore won a very difficult game and proved that the serie A is not as weak as all the English people make it look :/ Also I can distract myself with that win and forget about Milan's horrible state.
It's not just the English. Last time I checked much of Europe feels like it's 3rd (in some places even 4th) best now. Some pundits argue that the Bundesliga is better than the Serie A now and I can't argue that it isn't true. The Bundi gets more TV revenue and its teams are making more money overall. Which means they can spend and compete. The quality of football is already there.

La Viola might have won but the other results won't help. Lyon play in a weaker league and beat them last time out. Inter also drew to a weak Rubin team and parked the bus in front of their own goal against Barca. Which isn't encouraging...no team that can hope to win the CL can do that. Juve haven't looked very strong so far in Europe this year either. And I won't even start on Milan...

mimefan

Banned
Woo, Zurich won! Woop, I love it when the little teams win. Also, went to see Walsall play on tuesday for the first time in 2 years, and whatdoyaknow they won their first home game all season. True, they didn't deserve to win, but a win's a win.

Fenix

Tremulant
It's not just the English. Last time I checked much of Europe feels like it's 3rd (in some places even 4th) best now. Some pundits argue that the Bundesliga is better than the Serie A now and I can't argue that it isn't true. The Bundi gets more TV revenue and its teams are making more money overall. Which means they can spend and compete. The quality of football is already there.

La Viola might have won but the other results won't help. Lyon play in a weaker league and beat them last time out. Inter also drew to a weak Rubin team and parked the bus in front of their own goal against Barca. Which isn't encouraging...no team that can hope to win the CL can do that. Juve haven't looked very strong so far in Europe this year either. And I won't even start on Milan...
I can't agree with you about Bundesliga. True, they get more TV revenue and their stadiums are always full, but that doesn't affect the quality of the teams. Bayern is the only team they have which has European quality, while we have Milan, juve, Inter and sometimes Roma/Fiore. All the other teams are way too situational, like Stuttgart, Hamburg, Wolfsburg, etc. The fact that Milan is having a bad season doesn't mean suddenly all of our league has deteriorated.

And by the way, I somehow think that Inter-Barca in neucamp will not be the Inter-trashing everyone is predicting...

I can't agree with you about Bundesliga. True, they get more TV revenue and their stadiums are always full, but that doesn't affect the quality of the teams. Bayern is the only team they have which has European quality, while we have Milan, juve, Inter and sometimes Roma/Fiore. All the other teams are way too situational, like Stuttgart, Hamburg, Wolfsburg, etc. The fact that Milan is having a bad season doesn't mean suddenly all of our league has deteriorated.

I wasn't saying that Milan being weak means the Serie A is. I was saying that the Serie A isn't as strong as it used to be. And for some time Serie A teams haven't done well in Europe as Spanish/English teams. Inter/Juve/Milan all have European quality but I honestly can't pick any of them to win the CL.

The bit about money does matter. German teams will be able to spend more than Italian teams in the near future and that will show up in the CL. It's the same business model that the Prem runs on. As in the Bundi isn't just a money maker but also an international business.

My point about the Bundi wasn't necessarily that its better. I was only saying that ppl who say it is (pundits especially) have their point. I meant to say that I can't argue w/ those ppl when they say that.

Imo the Bundi is at the same level for a different reason. You're right that Bayern are the only team from the Bundi in the same bracket as Inter/Juve/Milan. But the Bundi also has more teams that can compete for European spots than the Serie A does. The league is more competitive overall as it's not always between 3 teams and many of the smaller teams can beat Bayern.

Keep in mind that Juve are the team I hold closest to my heart besides Rangers. I'm a quarter Italian as well. I'm only saying what I really think. The Serie A was the best not long ago but it's 3rd best now.

And by the way, I somehow think that Inter-Barca in neucamp will not be the Inter-trashing everyone is predicting...

I agree it won't. Inter will blockade the penalty area. 2-0 to Barca sounds about right.
Read bold for details.

And god bless Pompey.

Predictions.

Saturday October 3
Bolton Wanderers 1-3 Tottenham Hotspur
Burnley 2-0 Birmingham City
Hull City 1-2 Wigan Athletic
Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-1 Portsmouth
Manchester United 3-1 Sunderland

Sunday October 4
Arsenal 3-0 Blackburn Rovers
Everton 2-0 Stoke City
West Ham United 2-1 Fulham
Chelsea 3-2 Liverpool

Monday October 5
Aston Villa 1-3 Manchester City

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
I'm back!

Sunday October 4

Arsenal 2-0 Blackburn Rovers
Everton 3-1 Stoke City
West Ham United 1-1 Fulham
Chelsea 2-1 Liverpool

Monday October 5

Aston Villa 2-2 Manchester City

Thunder Giant

Forza Rossoneri!
Well,

I can't be bothered quoting to contribute to the Bundi vs Serie A debate, but I can provide contribute some points onto how the Serie A is reviving itself from its disappointing state
1. New Stadiums-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz36-alDRBk&feature=related
The above vid is of AS Romas new stadium. It will be modern. Juve have a new stadium. Lazio and Genoa are both rumoured to be thinking of new stadiums, which will be modern, etc. SO is Inter. New stadiums will make the league better.
2. Split-up
From the 2010-2011 season and onwards, the Serie A will be split up from Serie B (like what the prem did in 1992). This has been confirmed by the FIGC in April, after 19/20 clubs voted for this [ U.S. Lecce didn't, the basta***]. This split up will result in some 900m euros profit, or something like that. This split up will result in money to the league.

I believe that the Serie A is a very competitive league. Yes, there may be only 2 teams atm who can win the title, but there is another 9 who can compete for European spots.

And finally, a reason to why the Serie A > Bundesliga.
Diego (arguably Bundi's best player) left to go play in Italy. Therefore the Serie A is better :);)!

Serie A points from last week will be released later.

I cannot comment on what has happened with Milan over the past couple of games. I would end up writing the same stuff I have already written in my other rants. :(

EPL predictions
Saturday October 3
Bolton Wanderers 1-3 Tottenham Hotspur
Burnley 2-2 Birmingham City
Hull City 1-2 Wigan Athletic
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Portsmouth
Manchester United 3-1 Sunderland

Sunday October 4
Arsenal 3-1 Blackburn Rovers
Everton 3-0 Stoke City
West Ham United 3-1 Fulham
Chelsea 5-5 Liverpool

Monday October 5
Aston Villa 3-3 Manchester City

SERIE a predictions-
UK Bari 0-0 Catania
10/3 19:45 UK Internazionale 3-2 Udinese
10/4 14:00 UK Sampdoria 1-1 Parma
10/4 14:00 UK Bologna 0-2 Genoa
10/4 14:00 UK Cagliari 2-1 Chievo Verona
10/4 14:00 UK Atalanta 0-7 AC Milan
10/4 14:00 UK Siena 2-1 Livorno
10/4 14:00 UK AS Roma 2-0 Napoli
10/4 14:00 UK Fiorentina 3-3 Lazio
10/4 19:45 UK Palermo 0-2 Juventus

Void

After yet another 2-0 loss away, we need to go on a loooooooong winning run to get the title. :x

King Of Steel

I'MA USE AYSE PHANG!
Overall, it was a poor showing. Especially with how they let Drogba get free by sticking too tightly. He can just bulldoze a way through, like he did. Moreover, the day was summed up with Benayoun miraculously missing a gaping goal.

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Good viewing

Thierry Henry picked a hell of a game to come back and watch

SHINY CATCHER

Epic Snake is Epic!
I won a £60 off a £10 bet for the Sunderland-Man Utd Draw. I'm shocked that I'm dissapointed to go away from Old Trafford with only 1 point. Darren Bent is doing brilliant and is so far my highest scorer on my Fantasy Football Team.

Void

o_O

Honestly, it's like Real can't play without Ronaldo. One game they play without him, and their 100% start is gone. Yes, Sevilla is a good team, but still.........

Void

...Well Wolves got robbed of a penalty...

Yet more proof of why we need a video referee system in place.

Blackburn also looked like they missed out on a penalty too...

wat

I haven't heard anything about Wolves being denied a penalty, I only saw Blackburn's.

And yeah, Sepp Blatter needs to stop being butthurt and install video referee systems.

Anyway, Man City and Villa should be a good match, can't wait for that.

Last edited:

SHINY CATCHER

Epic Snake is Epic!
Some Predictions
Premier League

Saturday 17th October
Aston Villa 1-3 Chelsea
Arsenal 4-0 Birmingham City
Stoke 2-1 West Ham
Portsmouth 0-2 Tottenham
Everton 2-1 Wolves
Manchester United 3-1 Bolton
Sunderland 2-1 Liverpool (unlikely yes, but it's what I hope will happen)

Sunday 18th October
Blackburn 1-1 Burnley
Wigan 0-3 Manchester City

Monday 19th October
Fulham 2-0 Hull