• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread, Version 2.0 (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCVM22

brawl.png

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

Nearly two years ago, Super Smash Bros. Brawl was announced at E3 2006, and the masses rejoiced. That's right; it's been nearly two years.

If you're posting in this thread, chances are you've spent a little bit of time in the last one. And if you've spent a little bit of time in the last one, you know that at its center, it became umpty-thousand posts of baggage. Dead weight that got even more dead as time moved on, rife with pointless comments, petty arguments, vicious, bloodthirsty wars of words and squabbles over the most miniscule and insignificant of details. I know what some of you are thinking, and you're absolutely right. I make absolutely no claim that I myself didn't contribute to and participate in such verbal skirmishes on any number of occasions.

To that end, I - a normal poster like all of you, not a staff member - make this statement with the hope that we, all of us, can ensure that this thread does not become a duplicate of the last one. First and foremost, many of us will have the game in our hands ever so shortly if we don't already; that alone will eliminate a good majority of the debates that clogged the last thread. Just the same, however, leave that thread where it belongs; in the past. Drop your grudges, forget your arguments and start over. Forget the past and prepare for the present. Hold not one's past words or actions against them, and welcome them into the new thread. "When..." has arrived. The future is now.

This is not my thread. It is all of ours. To that end, take heed of your own work. Stop. Think. THINK. THINK. Use logic. Use common sense. If something seems really unlikely ("Hey guys, I heard Master Chief is in this game!") or very obvious ("WOW, Sonic's in this game!"), consider if it really needs to be said. If you have an opinion, support it. Think the game is superb? Fantastic. Tell everyone why. Think the game bites monkeys? That's ok too (sort of...). Tell us why just the same. Don't post just to say "THIS GAME SUCKS!" and to the same end, don't post simply to say nothing but "THIS GAME ROCKS!" Let this thread be a place for DISCUSSION and all that the word entails.

Have a question? That's ok; everyone has questions. And just the same, everyone gets tired of answering the same questions over and over. Use the Search function. It does precisely what the name suggests: it searches every word of this thread for the information you tell it to. You can find it right here. Let's be perfectly frank here: this game is huge and its fans are legion. If you have a question, chances are someone's asked the same question before. No one's asking you to read through every post this thread will generate, just to take a minute and see if the question's been asked before. The same goes if you think you've found something new; again, huge game, huge fanbase and we already know most of the game's secrets anyway. The Search function is always there, easy to use and it never complains, no matter how many times you use it.

Posters, I can't tell you what to do in the slightest, but if it legitimately seems that someone's made an effort to do all of the above, give them the appropriate benefit of the doubt and the associated courtesy. Heck, try and do that anyway. Again, appropriate is at your whim, but make it a well-thought whim.

Got a friend code? That's great. We all do. Put it in your signature, or post it in the appropriate thread up in the Wi-Fi subforum. Exchange friend codes ad nauseum if you like; that's what Nintendo added the online material for. But don't clog up this thread in doing so. Use the appropriate thread or exchange via some other private communication. We all don't need to know that you've exchanged your friend code with 10 people in the last 5 minutes.

Europeans and Australians. I know it bites monkeys (no offense, DK/Diddy fans) that the wait continues for you, but I want those of you who say (and legitimately believe) stuff like "Nintendo clearly hates Europe and does everything they can to delay releases here" to consider something. You know this game is a huge release. I know this game is a huge release. Nintendo - of Japan, of America, of Europe, of Australia, whatever - knows this game is doing to absolutely torch sales charts for the next year or so in every region in which it gets a release. So ask yourself: why would Nintendo-- nay, why would ANY company willingly and purposely delay the release of a product that's going to generate sales numbers (read: MONEY; MAD BANK; COIN; $$$; whatever you want to call it) like this game already has, is about to, and will continue to?

Spoilers? Yes. The title of this thread clearly states "SPOILERS." In this thread, there will be discussion of the unlockable material in the game. Characters, stages, pieces of The Subspace Emissary story, music, you name it. If you really, really, really don't want to see it before you unlock it yourself, then don't read it. If people feel like it, they'll use the spoiler tags. Nothing is guaranteed. Enter at your own risk.

And now that all that slush is out of the way...

The wait is finally over.

[spoil]
brawlbegin.png
[/spoil]​

Links:
Smash Bros. DOJO!!
IGN Wii: Super Smash Bros. Brawl Review
GameFAQs: Super Smash Bros. Brawl Cheats and Secrets
Serebii.net - Smash Bros. Brawl
SmashBoards
Brawl Central
The Official SSBB Stage Creator Thread for Ideas, etc.
Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Friend Finder
The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Pre-Release Thread (July 14, 2007 - March 8, 2008; started by Bulk)

Last edited:

Sir Devious

Sir Devious
Woo! Brawl is going to be awesome, it's only 8:14, so I get my copy in about 4 hours. Im so excited!! Does anyone have the game yet? How is it's feel different from Melee's? Is the Wii remote comfortable??

Monkey CP

Super Reader/Brawler
The Wii remote is very comfortable ( with numchuck)

I dont like without numchuck though

Rakurai

I'll bet my Wii will be one of the few that isn't able to read the Brawl disc for some reason, since I just have terrible luck like that.

Though I guess I can go bug one of my friends who almost never uses his Wii if that's the case.

mewfanforlife

I get to leave to pick up Brawl soon, but I was unable to make the tournament with my friends like I had originally hoped.

Emblematic

Lurking...
I'm so ready for this...I'm getting mine in...like...15 hours...hahaha... 10:00 tomorrow for me...

I'm glad BCVM22 started this, good intro.

Neat...I got the second last post before Kirbys in the old...new thread. Who stayed since the very first thread? For that matter...where is Deoxys911? I never found out. BUT like BCVM22 said...it's time to start new... so I should stop bringing back old conversation...

Last edited:

Josiah

is your favorite
About 18-20 hours for me unfortunately. Unless it rains, and I highly doubt that it will.

Epic thread starter, BCVM22. How long did you work on those pics?

EmberStar the Blaziken

Kung-Pow Chicken
Hopefully less than 12 for me.

Anybody ready to go online?

AerialAce!

Inconceivable!
If life were kind to me, I'd have less than eleven and a half hours of waiting left. Unfortunately, my little brother spent the entire day watching TV instead of reading Nectar in a Sieve, which he must finish by Monday for school. Now I have no ****ing clue when I get it. Despite the fact that MY money is being used to pay for the game, I'M the one that pre-ordered the damned thing seven months ago, and I'M the one that's been anxiously awaiting it since the very beginning. I'll hold him at NERF gunpoint with a walking stick at my side in an attempt to coerce him into reading the unbelievably boring book by tomorrow. [Ganondorf Melee taunt laugh]

Man, I hate this kid.

Last edited:

cmitch25

Tomorrow morning I'm going to Wal-Mart to finally get to buy Brawl.

I think I'm going to love playing as Lucario.

BCVM22

Epic thread starter, BCVM22. How long did you work on those pics?

Gweh, not long enough. The symbol-circle thing looks rougher around the edges than I thought it would.

I'm waiting for my copy of the game now; one more hour.

AerialAce!

Inconceivable!
Y'know, after rereading the initial post, I think it belongs at the beginning of the Internet in general. A lot of it, anyway. It's basically the standard rules for not being a moron in any given forum. Great job, BCVM22.

Last edited:

Fullfrontallobotomy

Grumpy Old Schooler
When I got to Gamestop, there were 5 guys outside and no employees. They canceled the midnight launch because of the weather here in my part of Snohio. I'm going first thing in the morning, but I wanted to play all night... sadface.

Kinslayer

Nevermore...
I just got back from GameStop. The line was freaking huge. I was the 13th person in line, so all is right with my world. I'm about to start playing. I'll be online eventually...when I'm good enough.

Sir Devious

Sir Devious
I get my copy in an hour and a half!! Im playing it all night, even though im crazy tired. I'm so excited. My brother played the Japanese version a few days ago, one of his Game Crazy store managers imported it, he said it was rad. There was no items though, which was unfortunate. I don't think that Smash Bros is Smash Bros without the items, its just street fighing Mario and Link... ya know? What do you guys think about it?

EDIT: I'll be online as soon as I unlock Sonic and Toon Link. >_<

Josiah

is your favorite
I get my copy in an hour and a half!! Im playing it all night, even though im crazy tired. I'm so excited. My brother played the Japanese version a few days ago, one of his Game Crazy store managers imported it, he said it was rad. There was no items though, which was unfortunate. I don't think that Smash Bros is Smash Bros without the items, its just street fighing Mario and Link... ya know? What do you guys think about it?

There are items in the game. They just had them turned off and your brother didn't know how to turn them on.

Sir Devious

Sir Devious
There are items in the game. They just had them turned off and your brother didn't know how to turn them on.

Well what I meant was that in the match he was playing everyone voted the items off, which is kind of lame to me. He thinks the same. Lol Im not retarded. XD

AerialAce!

Inconceivable!

I disagree. The idea of building up a percentage and tossing the opponent off screen is pretty unique among fighting games. Smash s so different, Nintendo even calls it an action game, rather than a fighter.

I do agree that the items are a big part of the game, but they gave us he option to turn them off for a reason. Sakurai even stated that they can be unfair at times. They're fun (and I do like them), but in certain settings it would be wrong to leave them on. Especially when you have to prove that you're better than someone, or when money's on the line.

Sir Devious

Sir Devious
I disagree. The idea of building up a percentage and tossing the opponent off screen is pretty unique among fighting games. Smash s so different, Nintendo even calls it an action game, rather than a fighter.

I do agree that the items are a big part of the game, but they gave us he option to turn them off for a reason. Sakurai even stated that they can be unfair at times. They're fun (and I do like them), but in certain settings it would be wrong to leave them on. Especially when you have to prove that you're better than someone, or when money's on the line.

Yes, I agree they can be unfair, it's like star power in guitar hero, it can save you when youre going to loose. Some should be turned off, but I just generally think that items should be included in tournaments, but maybe set to low or something? Hey, people can play how they want, but like I just think it's a huge part of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.