• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread, Version 2.0 (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spire

soiya
I've made this point elsewhere before, but I don't think I've brought it up here yet.

The members of this forum, as Pokémon fans, have something many other Brawl players don't. An easy to use (if annoying to set up) voice chat system. I imagine the majority of us have a DS and Diamond or Pearl, and if you're online in Brawl there's a good chance you can get online on the DS as well. All they've got to do is swap D/P friend codes with people they play against often (it's not worth it for one-time opponents), and start up a battle before Brawling. Once connected, setting up rules and picking fair stages should be simple.

I can see this coming in handy when training or practicing against a friend, and I'm sure there are other applications.
Any free voice call application (Skype) would also work well, if not better.

AerialAce!

Inconceivable!
Any free voice call application (Skype) would also work well, if not better.

Sakurai even suggested Skype when asked about voice chat during an interview.

Unfortunately, many people don't have a computer within microphone distance of their TV, myself included. DS solves this problem, and SPPF members are entirely likely to have a copy or three of D/P sitting around.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
you think peach got better? nah, she was nerfed in plenty of areas.

BrawlMaster

Live long, & prosper
Hello fellow Brawlers. Just a bit of help. If you are experiencing game lockups, movies are slow and irregular or other disc related problems, Nintendo has set up a free expedited repair process. Brawl uses a double layer disc and some Wiis may have trouble reading them so, you'll need to send in you Wii console. Just go to Nintendo's website and click on Support. You'll see where to go from there. 'til next time!

Ledian_X

Don Ledianni
I've made this point elsewhere before, but I don't think I've brought it up here yet.

The members of this forum, as Pokémon fans, have something many other Brawl players don't. An easy to use (if annoying to set up) voice chat system. I imagine the majority of us have a DS and Diamond or Pearl, and if you're online in Brawl there's a good chance you can get online on the DS as well. All they've got to do is swap D/P friend codes with people they play against often (it's not worth it for one-time opponents), and start up a battle before Brawling. Once connected, setting up rules and picking fair stages should be simple.

I can see this coming in handy when training or practicing against a friend, and I'm sure there are other applications.

That's a good idea, man. But, what about battery life? Then again, you should be oky once you plug into a wall near you. I might try that one out. Course we'd have to swap DP friend codes and all that. It's a minor inconvience I suppose.

LX

NoDice

The Sandstorm Slayer

yeah thats just a huge pain in the *** though. props on the good idea, but good ol Nintendo didnt want to have that simple, easy to use voice chat like Microsoft.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
So, I've been playing non stop since i got it. And I've only found one problem...how do I unlock the last 20 Events? I beat all 1-20...and didn't get the rest o_O

QuailMan

Carpe Jugulum
Just wondering: If you have a modded wii, and it forces you to do the update, will it mess up your wii? Because on the screen to initiate the update, it says something like that. If it does, the update might just be in there so people with modded wii systems can't play. Can anyone confirm this as correct or incorrect?

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Haven't unlocked everything yet, though, but wow. I love playing as Lucas and I've been kicking loads of *** with him in just about every random match on Wifi.

Still not perfect with Lucas yet, though, but I've been pretty much learning him smoothly over the whole day. Love that he can juggle people around with his PK Thunder.
I'm actually forseeing the point where I potentially call Lucas my "main". Sure, I've enjoyed playing with Diddy and Meta Knight, and then there's Ness for old times' sake, but Lucas seems to surpass the annoyances I faced with Ness, mainly mid-air floatiness. His bat doesn't seem to have as much knockback, but he makes up for it with his agility. Call him a clone all you want, but he's fairly different from Ness, whether it's PK Fire knocking back opponents, or the continuous PK Thunder, or the rope snake grab, or PK Freeze in general. While playing against others, I've also noticed that his PK Starstorm seems to be more difficult to dodge than Ness's, as since Ness's curves, you're given more elbow room at the bottom.

Today my schoolwork may get in the way of much further progress, unfortunately. I put it off yesterday to make room for Brawl play.

profpeanut

EDIT: Opinions on newcomers thus far.
Pit- One of the best newcomers Brawl has to offer. Quick, decisive, and has a very versatile moveset. That's good to know.
Meta Knight- Again another great addition to the SSB family. Very agile and has pretty decent combos. More proof of his awesomeness
King Dedede- Another slow lunker to join the ranks of DK and Bowser. Poor moveset and not very versatile. B-But he has a giant rocket hammer!
Pokemon Trainer- Obviously has great versatility, although finding the chance to "switch out" in a 4 man brawl on a basic stage may be a little hard. I thought so. That Down-B is kindaa slow, huh?
Lucario- Moves at about the same speed as Mewtwo, but with slightly quicker moves. His "Aura" ability is great when facing foes that damage you quickly(has saved my ***** a few times) Hah! I knew Lucario was Mewtwo in disguise! He's also learned something from Melee too!
Lucas- Definitely stopped any complaining I had about making a Ness clone. Lucas is faster than Ness and his double jump doesnt have that "lag" to it. Probably going to share Ness' spotlight on my MAIN list. Et tu? That's another user maining Lucas. Poor Ness.
Solid Snake- Eh. Learning curve is great here. Probably not ever going to try to round the curve. Other than that hes quick, decently powerful, and has a good variety of moves. Meh.
Zero Suit Samus- Totally uneeded. Quicker than Samus, but who cares? She was obviously put in for Metroid fanboys. Has crappy moveset. Period. I don't want to ask.
Ike- See Marth. Prefer Marth. Prefer Roy?

and lastly I have a small issue- they took away Marths ability to Forward+B to help his recovery, which royally pisses me off, and they changed his B charge up to a stab instead of a overhead slash. I thought you could change the direction of the Dancing Sword, can't you?

BTW, I hear a lot of people are complaining about this part in the SSE called Great Maze....what are your thoughts, for those of you who have tackled it?

BCVM22

BTW, I hear a lot of people are complaining about this part in the SSE called Great Maze....what are your thoughts, for those of you who have tackled it?

Came as a surprise and brought the momentum to just-short-of-screeching halt.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
I couldn't go to the midnight release due to the blizzard, but Gamestop opened early the next day to compensate. And so I FINALY HAVE THE GAME!!!1!

After practicing a bit with the characters I wanted to use (and unlocking Ness in the process) I spent hours on SSE and finally stopped right after unlocking Lucario.

By the way, is that Great Maze thing hard to figure out or just exeptionaly long?

HotSkittyOnWailordAction

Darn... We europeans have to wait for ages... (Please be May 1st...)

Anyway, are Earthbound and Fire Emblem (Masterpieces) still in the American version?

mrhiyuck

curious
I couldn't go to the midnight release due to the blizzard, but Gamestop opened early the next day to compensate. And so I FINALY HAVE THE GAME!!!1!

After practicing a bit with the characters I wanted to use (and unlocking Ness in the process) I spent hours on SSE and finally stopped right after unlocking Lucario.

By the way, is that Great Maze thing hard to figure out or just exeptionaly long?

Well... just long. I've been doing this all morning. And I have no idea where it ends. Meh. At least you can heal yourself whenever you find the back to start doors, and save.

NoDice

The Sandstorm Slayer

Great Maze took me about 20-30 minutes to find the exit. As in all levels though, you generally get stopped to fight rounds of enemies and mini-boss type creatures so.... yeah. Oh and Im playing SSE on Hard (which I am assuming is the new "normal").

Oh and about the Marth thing- you can change the direction of dancing sword- BUT my issue is this: back in Melee when I used Marth and I was sent flying towards the left or right side of oblivion, I would jump once and then use the DS technique (which now does not provide any floatation but you can perform a whole combo just by pressing B rapidly) to swipe, swipe, swipe my way back over until I could use his Up+B to get back to safety. If you still dont understand what Im trying to explain I guess just try it out if you can- it made it nearly impossible for my friends to KO me as Marth back in the day.

And the problem with Pokemon Trainer is you cant switch in mid-air.

Last edited:

Bulk

Ok, so a European release would be nice... one day...

And, I personally plan on maining the four in my banner. Marth due me loving him in Melee, he's just immense. Lucario because apparently he's very good. Wolf because he seems real erratic yet powerful, which is nice. Plus I used Falco in Melee a fair bit but Wolf seems like a beefed up version of him. And Sonic because of his amazing speed. I'm not convinced though, his lack of power may affect him a fair bit.

jwla

I started pushing through the Great Maze last night. It's a bit of a pain, being one of those "almost there" kinda of things. What I don't like it is makes you play through sections of stages that you've already seen! I wish it would have been a tad bit different, scenery-wise. I have broken through, what I think is, a big chunk of the Great Maze's map. Hopefully I am almost done with it.

NoDice

The Sandstorm Slayer
Ok, so a European release would be nice... one day...

And, I personally plan on maining the four in my banner. Marth due me loving him in Melee, he's just immense. Lucario because apparently he's very good. Wolf because he seems real erratic yet powerful, which is nice. Plus I used Falco in Melee a fair bit but Wolf seems like a beefed up version of him. And Sonic because of his amazing speed. I'm not convinced though, his lack of power may affect him a fair bit.

Just a little hint- you gotta play the game first before you decide just like that. Most characters "appear" to have the same moves and what not but they "feel" different than in Melee. Marth is still very immense though. lol

AerialAce!

Inconceivable!
So I finally got around to playing with controls. I've since changed my Wiimote/nunchuk and my Classic controller control setups. to feel a bit more natural for me, which should help.

Good news!
I've learned that the c-stick can be set to jump R to grab, and L to shield. What does this mean?

The N64-Gamecube/Wii controller converter I found a while back will actually work! Yes! This means I can order the chip I need, and get to work making an extension cord converter!

The only reason I was worried about this is that the converter was designed to work for Virtual Console games, and I thought I would have to bug the creator to see if he could make a version that mapped GCN X and Y to N64 down-C and right-C, so I could use them to jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.