• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Ah well. We had a nice string of updates with previously-unknown info, but it was pretty dang inevitible that it wasn't going to last. This, however, may be infinitely more useless of an update than introducing Pit or something. If this indicates anything, we're gonna get an entire update dedicated to BREAKING YOUR FALL or USING THE SHIELD!

AerialAce!

Inconceivable!
Y'know how there was mention of a slightly stronger emphasis on aerial battles? I think I see it. Anybody remember Mario jumping that far before?

Then again, it could be purely for the sake of screenshots.

Or perhaps they're finally giving him credit as the Jump King of Mushroom Kingdom?

I, for one, would like to find out. It could actually be worthwhile information. But it's also extremely likely that it's just for effect. Whatever.

PhantomTeddiursa

ONE DAY MORE!
I'm really happy about Groudon being introduced for two reasons.

1. It raises Kyogre's chances...I like Kyogre a lot more than Groudon for some reason.
2. People will stop saying "Groudon should be a character!!!"

Thank you, Sakurai. Thank you.

;216; ;216;

Smile Guy

Keep Smiling...
May 22, Tues. 2007:
MUSIC - The Musicians
STAGES - Battlefield
HOW TO PLAY - The Basic Rules

May 23, Wed. 2007
CHARACTERS - Link
CHARACTERS - Mario

May 24, Thu. 2007
ITEMS - Gooey Bomb

May 25, Fri. 2007
CHARACTERS - Pit (Newcomer)

May 28, Mon. 2007
CHARACTERS - Pit: Special Moves

May 29, Tue. 2007
CHARACTERS - Mario: Final Smash
HOW TO PLAY - What is a Final Smash?

May 30, Wed. 2007
HOW TO PLAY - Moving and Shooting

May 31, Thu. 2007
ITEMS - Cracker Launcher

June 01, Fri. 2007
STAGES - Delfino Plaza

June 04, Mon. 2007
MUSIC - Yoshi's Story: Ending

June 05, Tue. 2007
ITEMS - Groudon
ITEMS - What Are Poké Balls?

June 06, Wed. 2007
HOW TO PLAY - You Must Recover!

Smile Guy said:
Every other Tuesday so far has been a multiple post... so, here's hoping!

Well, this prediction turned correct.

Smile Guy said:
I predict a How to Play tomorrow. [Wednesday]

Aaaand this one.

So, that's two out of two so far. And now I'm making a third. The biggest announcement this week will be on the Friday.

And a semi-prediction is that the rest of the week will be good updates. Because hopefully it will be a good rest of the week. (Tuesday and Wednesday were to be honest, meagre updates, even if Groudon was a nice reveal.)

Today's update was a big painful ouch. We've seen more screenshots of Battlefield then I'd care to mention and as players of Melee, we're perfectly away how to recover from being flung far from the stage. The only noteworthy point was that Meta Knight was shown in screenshots on the website for the first time. He's looking nice and bright and colourful but fits with the style and they've manage to give him emotion which is quite an achievement for someone for his artwork.

Joe

Lost Fan #4815162342
You have to remember, people who've never played the game before still go on the site to look at the updates.

Like me. :O Although I already knew the recovering thing, other people might not.

Duplighost

Gluttonus Greed
Well, what if they're holding Yoshi back for a reason? Maybe they've made some big changes to him? One idea springs to mind.

This isn't my idea but was mentioned much earlier on in this thread. In Yoshi's Island DS, Yoshi carries Baby Mario but also Baby Luigi, Peach, DK, Wario and Bowser. Now, Yoshi's B^ move isn't exactly revolutionary, but if you take the items each Baby used as a weapon from the DS game and incorporate into Yoshi's B^, I reckon it's a damn good idea.

You would start with only having access to Baby Mario rider, but as you completed certain objectives you would get more riders. The way to change riders woudl simpyl change the colour of Yoshi before he fights. Each would throw or use something different when B^ was pressed. For example:

Baby Mario (Green Yoshi) - so purists are still happy, throws an egg.
Baby Luigi (Red Yoshi) - throws a Fire Ball, in a similar format to the original egg
Baby Peach (Pink Yoshi) - pulls out her parasol, allowing Yoshi to float further across teh ground and move slowly down. However, this is nowhere near as powerful as Peach's as Yoshi si heavier and the parasol is smaller.
Baby DK (Brown Yoshi) - Throws 3 bananas in a similar format to the original egg.
Baby Wario (Yellow Yoshi) - Pulls out a magnet and fires a beam of electromagnetic energy. If an item is caught in the blast, it is pulled to Yoshi, even if someone is holding it.
Baby Bowser (Black Yoshi) - Is useless as a third jump as Bowser breaths in heavily to make him heavier and then expels it as fire in all directions that are upwards.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is included and would explain why Yoshi is being held back.

perhaps, or maybe the new stuff are just more important, like how Fox may have a move change, or how Snake is going to fit into this, like his B moveset and ect, Yoshis B move set (like Ness) is exclusive, not as exclusive as Ness but his B moveset is good, Yoshi's B moveset, i doubt, will change but, the babys are a good idea, and perhaps it could work, but then it would get rid of his egg throw, witch he has in alot of his games and it just does not seem like a good idea to me, although, it would be better to just keep it, but it is a good idae, just out of reach, know what i mean?

Last edited:

Dragostea_Din_Tei

The god of Pokemon
Tommorows update:

What is gravity?

(First screenshot, Mario on the ground)
Wow, Mario sure is on the ground.

(Second screenshot, Mario is jumping)
Look, Mario has make a jump!

(Third screenshot, Mario is falling to the ground)
Oh no! Mario has been falling TOWARD THE GROUND?

(Fourth screenshot, Mario sitting on a question mark box)
But why have you asking?
That is because of gravity. When objects go up in the air they fall down.
MAMA MIA!

Courtsey of Gamefaqs.com user: Gunning Soul

Cenodoxus

SMILE.LIKEYOUMEANIT
Oh, how I love the cinisism of fans. They´ve played tournaments! They´ve had Melee accompany them through sad Saturday nights! How dare the game developers, who have no obligation at all to inform anyone about the game at this point, make an update as useless as how to recover; a crucial mechanic for those who may be planning to buy Brawl but didn´t play the previous installation! And tomorrow we´ll have a new update, but how dare they!? How dare they leave us hanging like that for twenty-four hours!?

Well then. Getting serious now, this is my idea of who may be getting into Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Characters with an asterisk next to them have been confirmed.

Super Mario Bros.
01. Mario *
02. Luigi (De-cloned further with electric-themed moves)
03. Peach (With Super Princess Peach parasol)
04. Bowser
05. Bowser Jr. (Transforms; ambassador for the Party games)
06. Shadow Mario (Transforms; not a Mario clone)

Yoshi´s Island
07. Yoshi * (Yoshi´s Island baby riders change a B-move each)

Donkey Kong
08. Donkey Kong
09. Diddy Kong (Uses peanut popper, jetpack, guitar and cartwheels)

WarioWare
10. Wario *

Kid Icarus
11. Pit *

The Legend of Zelda
12. Link * (Items updated for TP, such as the Gale Boomerang)
13. Wind Waker Link (Not necessarily toon-shaded; uses own WW/PH items)
14. Zelda (TP look and sword)
15. Ganondorf (TP look and sword; completely de-cloned)

Pokémon
16. Pikachu *
17. Jigglypuff
18. Mewtwo (Tuned up for more usefulness, one or two new moves)
19. Rocket´s Meowth (Stands on two legs, but doesn´t talk)
20. Lucario (Uses wide movepool and typing for battle prowess)

Kirby
21. Kirby * (May have to drop the Mallet move due to King Dedede)
22. Metaknight *
23. King Dedede (Heavy mutiple jumper)

Metroid
24. Samus * (Transforms)
25. Zero-Suit Samus * (Transforms)
26. Ridley (Heavy multiple jumper)

F-Zero
27. Captain Falcon

StarFox
28. Fox * (Keeps some old moves, gains some new ones; nerfed)
29. Falco (Gets some of Fox´s old moves, gains some new; Assault look)
30. Krystal (Uses four staff powers as B-moves; Dinosaur Planet look?)

Earthbound / MOTHER
31. Lucas (Is more relevant than Ness; PK LOVE is a perfect Final Smash)

Pikmin
32. Captain Olimar (Command-based moveset)

Fire Emblem
33. Marth (Nerfed for the same reasons as Fox; largely unchanged otherwise)
34. Ike (Not a Marth clone; Aether would be a Final Smash)
35. Sigurd (Heaviest and most defensive Fire Emblem character, swordfighter)

Ice Climbers
36. Ice Climbers (The CPU character could be a bit more independent)

Balloon Fight
37. Alice (Perhaps the highest multiple jumper, but balloons can be deflated)

Punch-Out!!
38. Li´l Mac (Close-quarter offensively-geared boxer)

Sonic (THIRD PARTY - SEGA)
39. Sonic the Hedgehog (The fastest character, but not insanely so)

Metal Gear (THIRD PARTY - KONAMI)
40. Snake (Uses stealth and explosives to keep with the game´s feel)

???
41. Open for WTF!Retro/Japan-Only character
Some Candidates: Mr. Game & Watch (Game & Watch), Lip (Panel de Pon), Harry (Teleroboxer), Chibi-Robo (Chibi-Robo!), Muddy (Mole-Mania), Takamaru (Mystery of Castle Murasame), Mike Jones (StarTropics), Skapon (Joy Mech Fight), Tin Star (Tin Star), Zeke (Zombies Ate My Neighbors), Sablé or Richard (The Bells Toll For Frog), Demille (Tomato Adventure), Starfy (Starfy). My personal favorites are Takamaru, Mike, Skapon and Demille.

Removed Characters
- Dr. Mario: Aside from being a carbon copy of Mario, he´s not significant enough to garner a spot in SSBB. He´s perfect as an alternate costume though.
- Young Link: Twilight Princess is going to be represented like crazy in SSBB, and by this point the developers don´t care too much for the pre-Ocarina of Time games from the franchise, which Young Link represented. Having completely new items and a fresh era of the series behind him, Wind Waker Link is a better candidate.
- Pichu: Too similar to Pikachu; de-cloning it would be a frustrating effort, and Generation II isn´t relevant enough to get a new Pokémon in. If a handicap character is necessary, Alice could take its place.
- Roy: His only reason of being was to advertise a game that is considered a lackluster installation to the Fire Emblem franchise. It didn´t even come out internationally, and there are much more significant characters to include.
- Mr. Game & Watch: He´s a possibility as I mentioned, but he was only there for the sake of surprising everyone. I personally like him, but feel that Sakurai may very easily favor a different super-obscure character this time around, or perhaps a Japan-only character to try and get a new franchise stateside, much like how it happened with Fire Emblem.

Comments and criticism are more than welcome.

I hope that they show a new stage, item, or pokeball pokemon this week.
(please let it be Treecko)

Cenodoxus

SMILE.LIKEYOUMEANIT
Oh, how I love the cinisism of fans. They´ve played tournaments! They´ve had Melee accompany them through sad Saturday nights! How dare the game developers, who have no obligation at all to inform anyone about the game at this point, make an update as useless as how to recover; a crucial mechanic for those who may be planning to buy Brawl but didn´t play the previous installation! And tomorrow we´ll have a new update, but how dare they!? How dare they leave us hanging like that for twenty-four hours!?

Well then. Getting serious now, this is my idea of who may be getting into Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Characters with an asterisk next to them have been confirmed.

Super Mario Bros.
01. Mario *
02. Luigi (De-cloned further with electric-themed moves)
03. Peach (With Super Princess Peach parasol)
04. Bowser
05. Bowser Jr. (Transforms; ambassador for the Party games)
06. Shadow Mario (Transforms; not a Mario clone)

Yoshi´s Island
07. Yoshi * (Yoshi´s Island baby riders change a B-move each)

Donkey Kong
08. Donkey Kong
09. Diddy Kong (Uses peanut popper, jetpack, guitar and cartwheels)

WarioWare
10. Wario *

Kid Icarus
11. Pit *

The Legend of Zelda
12. Link * (Items updated for TP, such as the Gale Boomerang)
13. Wind Waker Link (Not necessarily toon-shaded; uses own WW/PH items)
14. Zelda (TP look and sword)
15. Ganondorf (TP look and sword; completely de-cloned)

Pokémon
16. Pikachu *
17. Jigglypuff
18. Mewtwo (Tuned up for more usefulness, one or two new moves)
19. Rocket´s Meowth (Stands on two legs, but doesn´t talk)
20. Lucario (Uses wide movepool and typing for battle prowess)

Kirby
21. Kirby * (May have to drop the Mallet move due to King Dedede)
22. Metaknight *
23. King Dedede (Heavy mutiple jumper)

Metroid
24. Samus * (Transforms)
25. Zero-Suit Samus * (Transforms)
26. Ridley (Heavy multiple jumper)

F-Zero
27. Captain Falcon

StarFox
28. Fox * (Keeps some old moves, gains some new ones; nerfed)
29. Falco (Gets some of Fox´s old moves, gains some new; Assault look)
30. Krystal (Uses four staff powers as B-moves; Dinosaur Planet look?)

Earthbound / MOTHER
31. Lucas (Is more relevant than Ness; PK LOVE is a perfect Final Smash)

Pikmin
32. Captain Olimar (Command-based moveset)

Fire Emblem
33. Marth (Nerfed for the same reasons as Fox; largely unchanged otherwise)
34. Ike (Not a Marth clone; Aether would be a Final Smash)
35. Sigurd (Heaviest and most defensive Fire Emblem character, swordfighter)

Ice Climbers
36. Ice Climbers (The CPU character could be a bit more independent)

Balloon Fight
37. Alice (Perhaps the highest multiple jumper, but balloons can be deflated)

Punch-Out!!
38. Li´l Mac (Close-quarter offensively-geared boxer)

Sonic (THIRD PARTY - SEGA)
39. Sonic the Hedgehog (The fastest character, but not insanely so)

Metal Gear (THIRD PARTY - KONAMI)
40. Snake (Uses stealth and explosives to keep with the game´s feel)

???
41. Open for WTF!Retro/Japan-Only character
Some Candidates: Mr. Game & Watch (Game & Watch), Lip (Panel de Pon), Harry (Teleroboxer), Chibi-Robo (Chibi-Robo!), Muddy (Mole-Mania), Takamaru (Mystery of Castle Murasame), Mike Jones (StarTropics), Skapon (Joy Mech Fight), Tin Star (Tin Star), Zeke (Zombies Ate My Neighbors), Sablé or Richard (The Bells Toll For Frog), Demille (Tomato Adventure), Starfy (Starfy). My personal favorites are Takamaru, Mike, Skapon and Demille.

Removed Characters
- Dr. Mario: Aside from being a carbon copy of Mario, he´s not significant enough to garner a spot in SSBB. He´s perfect as an alternate costume though.
- Young Link: Twilight Princess is going to be represented like crazy in SSBB, and by this point the developers don´t care too much for the pre-Ocarina of Time games from the franchise, which Young Link represented. Having completely new items and a fresh era of the series behind him, Wind Waker Link is a better candidate.
- Pichu: Too similar to Pikachu; de-cloning it would be a frustrating effort, and Generation II isn´t relevant enough to get a new Pokémon in. If a handicap character is necessary, Alice could take its place.
- Roy: His only reason of being was to advertise a game that is considered a lackluster installation to the Fire Emblem franchise. It didn´t even come out internationally, and there are much more significant characters to include.
- Mr. Game & Watch: He´s a possibility as I mentioned, but he was only there for the sake of surprising everyone. I personally like him, but feel that Sakurai may very easily favor a different super-obscure character this time around, or perhaps a Japan-only character to try and get a new franchise stateside, much like how it happened with Fire Emblem.

Comments and criticism are more than welcome.

Weatherguy

Peek-a-boo
i hope they give us an update about meta knight. so far i think he is going to be my main character. to me it doesnt seem like anyone else likes him though...there arent any discussions about him on any other forums or anything

Cenzo

Red: True Master
i hope they give us an update about meta knight. so far i think he is going to be my main character. to me it doesnt seem like anyone else likes him though...there arent any discussions about him on any other forums or anything

Actually, I like Meta-Knight, and was stoked to see him in the brawl trailer. Now if they get Dedede and Waddle-Dee, Kirby will finally be fairly represented in a Smash game.

EmberStar the Blaziken

Kung-Pow Chicken
Nice repeated posts.

Also, any speculation on any other pokemon?

ParaChomp

be your own guru
.....we continue to wait.....
Thank God Super Smash Brothers Brawl is not coming out this summer!
I would be buying 5 games in 2 months (my parents would never allow that)!

Lishus13

Poli-Spriter!
Well, what if they're holding Yoshi back for a reason? Maybe they've made some big changes to him? One idea springs to mind.

This isn't my idea but was mentioned much earlier on in this thread. In Yoshi's Island DS, Yoshi carries Baby Mario but also Baby Luigi, Peach, DK, Wario and Bowser. Now, Yoshi's B^ move isn't exactly revolutionary, but if you take the items each Baby used as a weapon from the DS game and incorporate into Yoshi's B^, I reckon it's a damn good idea.

You would start with only having access to Baby Mario rider, but as you completed certain objectives you would get more riders. The way to change riders woudl simpyl change the colour of Yoshi before he fights. Each would throw or use something different when B^ was pressed. For example:

Baby Mario (Green Yoshi) - so purists are still happy, throws an egg.
Baby Luigi (Red Yoshi) - throws a Fire Ball, in a similar format to the original egg
Baby Peach (Pink Yoshi) - pulls out her parasol, allowing Yoshi to float further across teh ground and move slowly down. However, this is nowhere near as powerful as Peach's as Yoshi si heavier and the parasol is smaller.
Baby DK (Brown Yoshi) - Throws 3 bananas in a similar format to the original egg.
Baby Wario (Yellow Yoshi) - Pulls out a magnet and fires a beam of electromagnetic energy. If an item is caught in the blast, it is pulled to Yoshi, even if someone is holding it.
Baby Bowser (Black Yoshi) - Is useless as a third jump as Bowser breaths in heavily to make him heavier and then expels it as fire in all directions that are upwards.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is included and would explain why Yoshi is being held back.

YAY! That was my idea! I'm glad people like it :D

Zenobius

Fear him!
Nice repeated posts.

Well besides Lucario, Plusle+Minum, or Blaziken, Infernape might have a chance to make it in. The reason being is that a new Pokemon TCG commercial came out and it shows him moving real fast. I couldn't really explain the moveset but a majority of the A moves will be fighting, while some B moves are Fire. Gallade is also another guy with some possibility. But since Infernape and Gallade aren't extremely well known, they probably won't make it in.

rob1610

The Leviathan

I like him. I can't wait to try out all new characters. In order: Wario, Meta Knight, Snake, Pit and Zero Suit Samus.

Nice repeated posts.

I said Kyogre before and all 3rd gen legendaries have the same possibility thanks to Groudon. I can't think of anything for moves, but here's a list of 3rd gen possibilities:-

Treecko
Sceptile (If anything, I'd say replacing Scizor's attack with a Leaf Blade)
Torchic
Blaziken
Mudkip
Swampert
Regirock
Regice
Registeel
Latias
Latios
Kyogre (I think a freezing version of Groudon)
Groudon (Confirmed)
Rayquaza
Jirachi (Maybe a Mew/Celebi-like deal...)
Deoxys

It's a list of all legendaries and I added the possible starters, but it's pretty much it minus the popular/rare Pokemon of the 3rd gen.

.....we continue to wait.....
Thank God Super Smash Brothers Brawl is not coming out this summer!
I would be buying 5 games in 2 months (my parents would never allow that)!

Been there, done that, and I'll be there in October/November again at this rate...

I'm really happy about Groudon being introduced for two reasons.

1. It raises Kyogre's chances...I like Kyogre a lot more than Groudon for some reason.
2. People will stop saying "Groudon should be a character!!!"

Thank you, Sakurai. Thank you.

;216; ;216;

Seeing that post makes me even more anxious to see Blaziken as a pokeball pokemon. (all those fan-boys will so angry...)

Status
Not open for further replies.