• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official WWE/AEW Thread, Brother!

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Actually Smackdown seemed more important than during the early 2000s. Mainly with the Rock. You also had Undertaker, Lesnar and a few other big guys. Also the fact that the WWE, the company's title was on Smackdown for a while.

charizardfan

I did mention that there were exceptions (just edited the post, actually), particularly during the period where the shows were exclusive (which is what you're talking about), but the majority of shared pay-per-views (SS, SummerSlam, RR, and 'Mania) eventually came to feature Raw main events. IIRC, the SmackDown main event headlined SummerSlam '02 (Rock v. Brock), Unforgiven & No Mercy '02 (Brock v. Undertaker), No Way Out (Rock v. Hogan II), and WrestleMania 19 (Brock v. Angle). But I can't seem to remember anything after that, save for Survivor Series '06 (Batista v. Booker).

Survivor Series '02 (Elimination Chamber), Armageddon '02 (HHH vs. HBK), and Backash '03 (Rock v. Goldberg) were all Raw main events. And after that you have SummerSlam '03 (Elimination Chamber), Survivor Series '03 (Goldberg v. HHH), 'Mania 20 (HHH v. HBK v. Benoit), SummerSlam '04 (Benoit v. Orton), SS '04 (Team Orton vs. Team HHH), 'Mania 21 (HHH v. Batista), SummerSlam '05 (HBK v. Hogan), WrestleMania 22 (Cena vs. HHH), SummerSlam '06 (Cena v. Edge) were all main evented by Raw wrestlers. SS '05 doesn't count for either side since that was SmackDown vs. Raw.

So in the vast majority of shared pay-per-views during the Brand Split (when it was actually split) were Raw dominated, and that period was the most important SmackDown! could ever be. There've been a couple SmackDown main events since then (SummerSlam '09, Hell in a Cell '10), but the same has proved true after 2007 as well.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Very valid points. I still think Smackdown could be way better. At least to the point where they don't have to edit in cheers and other crowd reactions. I swear SD! is starting for feel like WWECW. And Saturday moring slam? what even

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
I went to sleep and had a vision... It was December... 2013. CM Punk was by the TitanTron... holding a Slammy... for BEST MATCH OF THE YEAR! Undertaker vs. CM Punk at Wrestlemania 29 a.k.a. Match Of The Year! it's gonna happen

Laser Shuckle

Smackdown doesn't have to be as important as Raw, but there's a problem if you can go without watching it entirely and still not miss anything.

Old school Raw and yet they still insist on the social media pandering. Having both IC and US champions lose yet again was sad too. I also think getting rid of them would be a good idea.

Looks like were getting Henry vs Ryback. I really don't want to see Ryback win...

Hard to take Cena's promo seriously when he acts like losing to Rock was such a big blow, along with the "I could never beat Punk" angle. please, stop acting like the underdog already. It worked more with Lesnar, but here it's just painfully transparent.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
Smackdown doesn't have to be as important as Raw, but there's a problem if you can go without watching it entirely and still not miss anything.

Old school Raw and yet they still insist on the social media pandering. Having both IC and US champions lose yet again was sad too. I also think getting rid of them would be a good idea.

Looks like were getting Henry vs Ryback. I really don't want to see Ryback win...

Hard to take Cena's promo seriously when he acts like losing to Rock was such a big blow, along with the "I could never beat Punk" angle. please, stop acting like the underdog already. It worked more with Lesnar, but here it's just painfully transparent.

I noticed that, too, about the social media, which is the direct opposite of Old School.

And if I remember correctly, at Wrestlemania 28, Cena was going for the People's Elbow when the Rock got up and did a Rock Bottom on him. my first thought wasn't “shattering defeat". it was “humiliating loss." i think it would make more sense if Cena said that for a year he's been embarrassed that he lost to the main man of yesterday when Cena is supposed to represent WWE today.

celestial phantom

So Monday's raw which was a throw away show was pretty decent. I think they wasted the Undertaker's return, however the fatal four way with 3/4 viable candidates to face the Undertaker was actually a unique way to go. However, it felt rushed at the end, and I was sad that The Shield didn't intervene to help Punk setting up 2 WM matches in the process. Punk did great last night at showing why he's a damn good heel with the promo...and cutting off mae young's "birthday" celebration. Damn I love old school heel tendencies.

Looks like we're gearing up for Ryback v. Mark Henry too, which could be interesting. As well I'd like to see if Ryback can pick Mark up for the shell shock, or if he'll have to use some new finisher.

Sadly Antonio Cesaro, Wade Barrett and Dolph were on job duty last night. Cesaro brought a dang good match out with Ryback with some nice counters, brawling and old cheap heat. Wade and Del Rio had a nice match with some unique moves which I'd like to see more of in the near future. And Dolph lost to Miz, but Miz had Flair in his corner so it ended up very over the top. Especially when Flair tried to "chop" Big E.

Rock/Cena 2 build up was actually damn good. Both men put each other over, and Rock put John on another level than all the current stars that says, all you guys in the back, step up your game and matches. HHH hype for Brock and their rematch was ok, but too much like a HHH promo for me to be entirely invested in yet.

We got another tease at Fandango last night, although I have a feeling that he was getting X-Pac heat over heel heat. Honestly the handling of the character at this point seems good to me, but the crowd isn't reacting in a good way to the heel...it was even more sad that kofi got a jobber entrance...and that one fan called out HEY JOHNNY CURTIS during Fandango's heel promo. Please this one could work for a solid midcard heel somewhat, don't ruin it people.

I liked Swagger taking the 2x4 to the old USA gimmick legends, really shows how much they are investing in Jack now...which is a good thing. As well Honky Tonk Man w/Clay and Tensai could have been used better with 3MB to get all 5 guys more over with the HTM but no one seemed to care or were worn down for how much they got invested for the first hour and a half of RAW. I know I would be, since the first hour and a half was pretty good but the crowd died off from some exhaustion I think before picking up for the main event.

Also I was damn happy to see the New Age Outlaws return...when the music hit...just such a good feeling seeing these guys and the entrance again. The match with Primo/Epico was short and sweet but showed off both team's strong points. NAO should make more appearances to put over some other teams honestly and show that the Tag Titles can still mean something. I remember back at the end of 1999, Road Dogg missed 5 weeks of action only to return on SD during a promo of the Rock N Sock Connection challenging HHH to singles matches, only to reunite with Billy Gunn to win the Tag Titles because they wanted to win that gold.

Throwaway Raw yes...but it did set up a few things for WM this year, although they will have to really invest for people to buy. On a side note, it seems that Paul Bearer has passed away at the age of 58. That man will be missed, and it saddens me that one of the best managers I grew up watching is now gone. I had really thought he'd be done in by Kane or Taker.

charizardfan

RIP to William "Paul Bearer" Moody... he was truly a legendary manager and one of the awesome charecters in my day of wrestling.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/paul-bearer-passes-26096670
First bit of news I woke up to this morning. That really sucks.

It's hard to think of the histories of either Undertaker or Kane without Paul Bearer (Kane's debut in particular, one of my favorite wrestling storylines ever, couldn't have worked without him), since he was the one responsible for building their heat early-on.

Unexpected, and very sad.

Laser Shuckle

I was just thinking it would be cool if he returned since Undertaker doesn't have too many matches left, then this happens. Sad. I only knew of him when he was with Kane a couple years back but I really liked him just for that.

R.I.P.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
This is very sad news. I had always wanted him there for Undertakers last Wrestlemania match. It would have been so fitting, and even have Kane there in some kind of a sense. But yeah, that's really to bad. I really enjoyed his getting captured by other superstars like Edge and Orton. Those were some funny moments, but I'll miss him. I also hope Undertaker dedicates this years mania win to Paul Bearer.

celestial phantom

Yeah it sucks that paul bearer is now gone. I really don't think Punk was going to win, but if he does it'd be a way for Taker to go out by post match looking at the Urn...set it in the middle of the ring as a sign of respect to Paul, and just disappear from the stage with something on the tron popping up letting the fans know that it's over. That'd be pretty damn cool really for Taker to go out.

Also, what I meant by that was how it's never a good thing for someone trying out a new gimmick to be tossed back to a previous gimmick unless that is the intent. Albert did well ignoring the people chanting A-Train and Albert and stuff, but there's never a better way for a gimmick to die early really. Although no one really remembers johnny curtis since he never really debuted after hype previously on smackdown I think? Maybe it'll be the same again just people won't react much.

Cancer0081

Team Aqua member
#RIPPaulBearer was trending the other day after he passed. a lot of fans and wrestlers from all companies, not just WWE, sent out tweets of well wishes to his family and such. what surprises me most about it that he was pretty much just a manager, usually it's the wrestlers that get that kind of attention. seeing that happen means Paul Bearer was one of the best managers, one of the best workers, the wrestling world has ever seen. there may never, and I know they say never say never, be another one like him.

-Raiga-

Also, what I meant by that was how it's never a good thing for someone trying out a new gimmick to be tossed back to a previous gimmick unless that is the intent. Albert did well ignoring the people chanting A-Train and Albert and stuff, but there's never a better way for a gimmick to die early really. Although no one really remembers johnny curtis since he never really debuted after hype previously on smackdown I think? Maybe it'll be the same again just people won't react much.

I know what you meant, but there will definitely be a difference between prince albert/a-train who was a mainstay for a number of years, compared to being a low-carder on superstars.

Laser Shuckle

So apparently Rock IS going to show up after Wrestlemania at Extreme Rules.

Maybe he might actually manage to hold onto the title until then. (probably not but you never know)

As good as Rock is it's still hard for me to get behind him when he's missing multiple shows in a row and was seemingly only brought back to pedal a predictable rematch...

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
So apparently Rock IS going to show up after Wrestlemania at Extreme Rules.

Maybe he might actually manage to hold onto the title until then. (probably not but you never know)

As good as Rock is it's still hard for me to get behind him when he's missing multiple shows in a row and was seemingly only brought back to pedal a predictable rematch...

well we (or at least I) already knew that he was gonna be in the RAW after Wrestlemania, and it's not like the Rock to lose at Wrestlemania and show up the next day admitting defeat. so if he loses at Wrestlemania, then he'll probably show up the next day requesting a rematch. i really can't see why the writers would make him win again i REALLY hope they don't do that