1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Official XD Orre Colosseum Guide

Discussion in 'Colosseum & XD (Hidden)' started by The Great Butler, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Great Butler

The Great Butler Hush, keep it down

I had great difficulty doing Orre Colosseum in XD. To help my fellow trainers with this great challenge, I shall list in this thread the opponents, their teams, and their strategies.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ROUND ONE (Lovrina)
    ROUND TIP: Abuse Safeguard. That will make a joke of this whole round.

1: Hunter Greel
    Parasect, Houndoom, Slowbro, Jynx, Breloom, Gardevoir
    TIPS: He abuses Sleep-causing attacks. Beware of Jynx and Gardevoir, they are much faster than you might think. Houndoom has learned Dream Eater as well.

2: Rider Herlam
    Spinda, Grumpig, Cacturne, Slowking, Lickitung, Smeargle
    TIPS: This time it's confusion. He'll abuse the Teeter Dance-Own Tempo combo to continually confuse your Pokémon. Besides Grumpig his team is not all that fast, so you should be able to outrun them. But beware Smeargle---it has Lock-On and Sheer Cold. Eliminate it on sight if it appears.

3: Navigator Lestor
    Butterfree, Stantler, Xatu, Togetic, Raichu, Grumpig
    TIPS: Now it's paralysis AND confusion. Again several slow Pokémon here. Use Electric types in this match, they are guaranteed to face at least one Flying type and they have no real weakness here. Raichu has Volt Tackle, so be careful if you send out Water or Flying types of your own.

Final: Cipher Admin Lovrina
    Shuckle, Blissey, Milotic, Wobbuffet, Meganium, Misdreavus
    TIPS: Look familiar? Venus used a similar team back in Colosseum. Lovrina will annoy the hell out of you with various status effects and healing. If Misdreavus or Meganium appears, eliminate them quickly, especially Misdreavus. It will use Torment to terrorize your squad. If Wobbuffet comes out, however, you can simply leave it alone and focus on her second Pokémon. Safeguard is a great move to use here.

PRIZES:
    500 Coupons
    TM 06--Toxic
    "Lovrina Fan Club Member #1"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ROUND TWO (Snattle)
    ROUND TIP: Grass types work well in all four battles, but supplement them with Water and Electric force as well.

1: Worker Lobel
    Tyranitar, Quagsire, Dugtrio, Cacturne, Claydol, Sandslash
    TIPS: A basic Sandstorm team; Tyranitar will always come out first. The sandstorm will throw your accuracy for a loop because many of the opponents have the Sand Veil ability, plus high defense---so Aerial Ace won't help much. Grass types are good overall, but Tyranitar and Sandslash can hit them hard with Fire Blast and Aerial Ace, respectively. Overall, not a very hard battle though.

2. Casual Guy Makel
    Dewgong, Kingler, Lapras, Dugtrio, Pinsir, Nidoking
    TIPS: One-hit KO's is what this guy's all about. All six have a OHKO move. Grass and Electric types match up well against much of his team. Gengar is a good Pokémon to use; it is invincible to Nidoking's Horn Drill, Kingler and Pinsir's Guillotine, and with Levitate Dugtrio's Fissure. Pinsir will often use Endure/Flail, but other than that another easy battle.

3. Researcher Limar
    Ditto, Kabutops, Rapidash, Shedinja, Hypno, Altaria
    TIPS: If you have Explosion, use it in this match. He'll always open with Ditto and something else. Ditto will always Transform into its teammate on the first turn, and if Rapidash or Kabutops is out, they will use a weather move. Striking hard and fast will take this guy down easily.

Final: Cipher Admin Snattle
    Glalie, Regirock, Regice, Electrode, Muk, Gengar
    TIPS: The best offense is a good defense. He'll aim to wipe you out painfully and fast with Explosion, so abuse Protect and Detect when you can. Muk has no attacking moves besides Explosion, so if it's trapped being Snattle's last Pokémon, he's guaranteed to lose. Wise prediction will win the day.

PRIZES:
    1000 coupons
    TM 27---Return
    "Orre Governor's Official Secretary Candidate"

2. Naraku_Diabolos

Naraku_Diabolos DNC20/NIN10

Butler, this deserves to be stickied. Even though I have the Guide for XD, this would help people out if they don't have it. I'm not that far into the game myself, but your tactics are basically the same as what my Guide assures the reader. So, thanks for posting this. Are you going to update it with the other enemies you face? I believe Gonzap returns on here, and the Kanto starters he has all have the elemental Hyper Beams.

3. The Great Butler

I will add the rest very soon.

4. The Great Butler

ROUND THREE (Gorigan)
    ROUND TIP: A well-rounded team is best for these battles. All four opponents have diverse teams, and to come out on top you'll need one too.

1: Chaser Navu
    Hitmonlee, Sharpedo, Victreebel, Zangoose, Golem, Nidoqueen
    TIPS: Ice attacks will be effective in this match, as they have favorable matchups against three of the six possible opponents. Sharpedo has Earthquake and is very fast, but if you can withstand a blow from it you should be able to take it out right away.

2: Chaser Pixen
    Fearow, Nidoking, Jynx, Magmar, Armaldo, Politoed
    TIPS: Another balanced team. Use Electric moves to cut down Fearow and Politoed, Psychic on Nidoking, and so on. No real specific strategy applies here, so just battle your hardest.

3: Chaser Daks
    Electabuzz, Walrein, Scizor, Quagsire, Arcanine, Primeape
    TIPS: Yet another balanced opponent. There's little more you can do besides type-match and fight hard and fast.

Final: Cipher Admin Gorigan
    Arcanine, Salamence, Gyarados, Granbull, Hitmontop, Tauros
    TIPS: Intimidate! All six of his Pokémon have it, and as a result your Attack will be reduced to shreds in this fight. Metagross can help with its Clear Body, but the heavy use of Earthquake by Gorigan will make it a bit hard to use. Special attacks are the way to go.

PRIZES:
    1500 coupons
    TM 48--Skill Swap
    "Holder of the Hexagonal Bolt of Friendship"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ROUND FOUR (Chobin and Robo Groudon)
    ROUND TIP: The balanced team from Round Three will still work here, as the opponents use a variety of strategies.

1: Fun Old Man Rekix
    Eevee, Espeon, Jolteon, Vaporeon, Umbreon, Flareon
    TIPS: Gee, I wonder what his strategy is? Strike hard and fast with physical Attack moves to KO the Eeveelutions quickly. Eevee itself can be a nuisance with Helping Hand but it has no damagining attacks of its own.

2: Fun Old Man Dargs
    Slaking, Alakazam, Claydol, Gengar, Milotic, Metagross
    TIPS: This one's a Skill Swap battle. Actually, it is billed as such (he will claim to swap his Pokémon's abilities) but usually ends up being an Earthquake battle instead. He'll often Quake without using Protect, so try and take out those who can Levitate as quickly as you can.

3: Matron Naono
    Dodrio, Swellow, Crobat, Heracross, Machamp, Persian
    TIPS: She will mostly try to do straightforward damage, but if she can't, she will fall back on the Toxic/Guts/Facade combo. Take Machamp and Heracross down quickly or they will often devastate you when the combo takes effect. Persian is fast but its attacks aren't too strong. Swellow is perhaps the most dangerous, so never let it and Crobat be out at the same time.

Final: Robo Groudon Chobin
    Mr. Mime, Ninjask, Scizor, Dragonite, Kangaskhan, Marowak
    TIPS: This will either be very hard or very easy, depending on how you approach it. He'll always send Ninjask and Mr. Mime out first. Mime will use Fake Out, and Ninjask Swords Dance. 'Jask will then Protect and Mr. Mime will use Psych Up to copy the Swords Dance and Speed Boost to itself, and on the third turn they will both Baton Pass. Explosion, especially with Gengar is a good way to get rid of both at once. None of his other Pokémon are particularly fast without the Baton Passed stats, so sweep quickly once they come out.

PRIZES:
    2000 coupons
    TM 36--Sludge Bomb
    "Defeater of Chobin"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    ROUND FIVE (Gonzap)
    ROUND TIP: Still with the diverse teams, but it starts getting steadily more difficult here. If you struggled in Chobin's round, retool your team before trying this round.

1: Team Snagem Biden
    Ninjask, Houndoom, Steelix, Weezing, Hitmonlee, Jolteon
    TIPS: Weezing and Steelix have Explosion, so beware of them. Biden will often combine an Explosion with either Houndoom or Hitmonlee to set up the Endure/Reversal combo as well. Even with his focus on strong combos, you can beat him with simple type matching and occasional wise Protect use.

2: Team Snagem Jedo
    Raikou, Slowking, Crobat, Feraligatr, Meganium, Typhlosion
    TIPS: A strong team, but with weaknesses. Electric will be effective against Slowking, Crobat, and Feraligatr. Meganium will likely be the toughest challenge in this battle with its immense defensive strength, so make sure you have a strong Fire type to take it out.

3: Team Snagem Wakin
    Vileplume, Gardevoir, Swellow, Swampert, Blaziken, Sceptile
    TIPS: Swampert and Gardevoir are the biggest threats this time out. Both can take a number of hits before fainting. Swampert has Counter & Mirror Coat, and Gardevoir has Thunderbolt combined with amazing speed. The others aren't all that fast (save for Swellow and Sceptile) and should be defeated fairly easily.

Final: Snagem Head Gonzap
    Venusaur, Blastoise, Charizard, Salamence, Skarmory, Slaking
    TIPS: If you don't come defensively prepared, you'll lose to Gonzap's brutal strategy. He will use Hyper Beam or a similar attack requiring a turn of rest, then Roar on himself to switch it out and avoid the rest turn. This will leave him with only one attack per turn, however, so try to strike back at him as hard and fast as you can.

PRIZES:
    2500 coupons
    TM 44--Rest
    "Honorary Member of Team Snagem"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    ROUND SIX (Ardos)
    ROUND TIP: The first three trainers have very definite strategies. Make a team with the ability to beat all three, and it will be fine for the final battle.

1: Sailor Jebol
    Dusclops, Flygon, Zapdos, Salamence, Dragonite, Aerodactyl
    TIPS: Dusclops will always come out first, and its companion will usually use Protect on the first turn. Dusclops will Imprison to keep you from using its moves (Imprison, Ice Beam, Ice Punch and Protect) so make it your first target. Do, however, alternate your strikes between opponents as they will do the same with Protect. Once Dusclops is gone, Ice attacks will decimate this team.

2: Bodybuilder Loar
    Clefable, Exeggutor, Blaziken, Entei, Jumpluff, Shiftry
    TIPS: A Sunny Day team. I prefer to go with two quick Explosions to finish them quickly, but otherwise using Fire types of your own is a good idea. A well-trained Blaziken with Earthquake, Sky Uppercut and Flamethrower will work well against much of this team.

3: Bodybuilder Felps
    Manectric, Qwilfish, Kingdra, Ludicolo, Omastar, Gorebyss
    TIPS: A similar fight to the previous one, but this time it's Rain Dance. Grass and Electric moves will rip through this team, but keep some other types in reserve just in case. Again, I prefer Explosion but you may do as you wish.

Final: Cipher Admin Ardos
    Tauros, Starmie, Aerodactyl, Sceptile, Charizard, Gengar
    TIPS: Ardos's strategy hasn't changed much from your first fight with him. He strikes hard and fast, hoping to devastate your team quickly. Explosion is still effective here. In lieu of that, type-match defensively and you should be able to make it through.

PRIZES:
    3000 coupons
    TM 47--Steel Wing
    "Cipher's Biggest Enemy"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    ROUND SEVEN (Eldes)
    ROUND TIP: Oh my. I can't help you here, you're on your own. This round is unexplicably difficult, and as a result you'll need to craft your own team to fit you.

1: Supertrainer Lest
    Charizard, Clefable, Togetic, Shedinja, Snorlax, Heracross
    TIPS: A deceptively easy battle at the beginning of a frustratingly hard series. Either Clefable or Togetic will come out first to annoy you with Follow Me, so defeat them quickly. If Shedinja appears, make it your next target---unless it appears alongside Snorlax, who will Selfdestruct, so use Protect instead.

2: Cooltrainer Ebson
    Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres
    TIPS: All legendaries with Hidden Power. This could be much harder than it is, but she will often gang up both her attacks on the same Pokémon. Effective Protect usage will get you through.

3: Cooltrainer Klept
    Manectric, Lapras, Marowak, Starmie, Dodrio, Gyarados
    TIPS: Lightningrod and VERY difficult. The 'Rod will always come out first; Manectric will usually Protect, Marowak Earthquake. Try to shield yourself from his attacks and hit when his Protects are down, but that's easier said than done. If you can take down the Lightningrod and still have an Electric type, you are in good shape---unless the crazed Dodrio appears. It's incredibly fast and has Choice Band powering up its attacks, so a single Hyper Beam will defeat just about anything you put in front of it.

Final: Cipher Admin Eldes
    Latios, Latias, Metagross, Tauros, Gengar, Snorlax
    TIPS: The final battle! He'll usually use one of the Lati@s and either Snorlax, Metagross or Tauros to open with an Earthquake/Levitate combo. Explosion is really the best bet here except for Metagross and Gengar. There's no easy way to win this battle, so just try your hardest.

PRIZES:
    3500 coupons
    TM 02--Dragon Claw
    "Eldes' Top Rival"

5. ~*Myuu the Ryuu*~

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~ The epitome of grace

Thanks, Butler :). I can't believe I didn't know about Safeguard for the first round >_<

Just a little something to add: Expect haxes, like Quick claw activating every turn, or focus band activating at the worst possible moment. You have to consider all the options that your opponent has, because they'll use every one of them.

6. The Great Butler

True. Hax items will often screw you up. Gorigan's Granbull and the Shedinja in Round 7 are good examples---I've heard of instances where the Granbull pulled Quick Claw six turns in a row.

To add to the strategies, how about we post the teams those of us who have won all seven rounds use? Perhaps sharing strategies will help more people win this challenge.

7. The Great Butler

In addition, let's all pull together and try to make complete moveset guides for the opponent teams including Hidden Power types and such. I can't do this on my own, because all I have are some loose ideas (like 1-1 abusing Dream Eater, 4-3 Toxic/Guts/Facade, et al.)

While I am typing this post, I may as well put down the team I used. This has beaten all seven rounds at least once, and Eldes twice.

Snorlax lv. 100
    Held: Silk Scarf
    -Selfdestruct
    -Body Slam
    -Protect
    -Shadow Ball

Gengar lv. 100
    Held: Scope Lens
    -Psychic
    -Thunderbolt
    -Giga Drain
    -Explosion

Zapdos lv. 100
    Held: Petaya Berry
    -Thunderbolt
    -Extrasensory
    -Sky Attack
    -Detect

Alakazam lv. 100
    Held: Brightpowder
    -Psychic
    -Fire Punch
    -Thunderpunch
    -Ice Punch

Metagross lv. 100
    Held: Focus Band
    -Meteor Mash
    -Protect
    -Shadow Ball
    -Brick Break

Sceptile lv. 100
    Held: Shell Bell
    -Leaf Blade
    -Dragon Claw
    -Crunch
    -Detect

8. The Great Butler

I apologize, but I cannot follow through on my promise to post full movesets for the opponent trainers here. I can, however, point you to a place that can:

Thank you, GameSpot.

I've cross-checked this against my own knowledge of Orre Colosseum, and I can vouch for its accuracy.

9. If you want to find out the full moves, then you can go to Gamefaqs and search Pokemon Xd. After that, you can choose the Orre Colosseum guide and get the attacks, genders, and items there. But don't forget to give credit to the person that wrote that guide, okay?

10. The Great Butler

My last post contained such a link.

11. Kalavinka

Kalavinka Well-Known Member

GameSpot just takes GameFAQs' guides ._. Too bad they're merged...

I was gonna point to Reptobismol's guide ._. I find him funnier too.

Fake Out and Explosion help a lot in every tournament. Helping Hand too, if you can get it in.

~Thunderstar ;121;;373;

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  12. Abraace

Abraace Sabrina's apprentice

I just done beat Snattle now, and this guide's been a big help. Therefore I thank The Great Butler for taking the time to write this up.

13. The Great Butler

Thank you. I knew it would be a help, because Orre Colosseum is just about impossible if you don't know what to expect from your opponents.

14. Zero Nexus

Zero Nexus Stand up, go for it

i checked out gamefaqs and i couldnt find the orre coliseum guide,could someone plz post me a direct link to the guide?

15. The Great Butler

Just use the link I posted a few posts up. It leads directly to GameFAQ's (I mislabelled it GameSpot's) Orre Colosseum guide.

16. De HotShot Mon

De HotShot Mon Smack Down time

This guide could be useful to me cuz I've never gotten further than Hunter Greel.

But I don't understand one thing:

If the Regi's aren't allowed in this Colosseum why does Snattle have Regice and Regirock.

17. The Great Butler

I'll explain. Your post gave me the idea to add the limitations in the rules, so read on:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"RULES OF ORRE COLOSSEUM"

-Enter six Pokémon for a tourney of four Double Battles. No duplicate Pokémon permitted.

-Choose four Pokémon for each battle.

-Continues are NOT earned for perfect wins, unlike previous Stadium/Colosseum games.

-Win four battles to advance to the next of the seven rounds. Winning each round will reward you with Poké Coupons, and for the first time you clear a round, a TM and a title as well. The highest title you earn can be viewed in your P*DA at any time.

----"RESTRICTIONS"

-As said above, no duplicate Pokémon.

-No duplicate held items are allowed, either.

-Latias and Latios ARE permitted to enter, but they are not allowed to hold Soul Dew. Soul Dew is the only banned held item.

-Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Entei, Raikou, Suicune, Regirock, Regice, and Registeel ARE allowed to enter.

-On the flip side of that coin, Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Jirachi and Deoxys are NOT allowed to enter at all.

18. WhiteWizard42

WhiteWizard42 Master Breeder

would i be right in assuming that kyogre/groudon/rayquaza are also banned?

19. The Great Butler

True, true

20. Loud Black

Loud Black Guest

Thanks...Orre Colosseum is painfully hard. Especially when ur team is an average of 69. I suggest that u dont bring a team under level 85 or u'll get ur hat handed to u.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.