• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Opinion Excuse

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
as long as people don't keep saying 'IT'S MY OPINION I DON'T HAVE SAY MORE THAN THAT' then i'm fine.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
#1 A reasonable opinion is when you back up your claim with preexisting facts, are able to make structural counterarguments against those who oppose your idea, and just generally not pulling anything out of your ***.
#2 Respectable opinions are those that CANNOT (in ANY way) be proven true or wrong. For example, "I think carrots are the best vegetables ever" or "I just happen to prefer [this] over [this]".
#3 A terrible opinion is when you run around claiming something without any valid basis to back it up (i.e. "ALL GAYS WERE BORN FROM THE DEVIL", "POKEMON WAS MADE BY SATAN", "I DON'T THINK SHOOTING MYSELF IN THE HEAD WILL KILL ME").

The only time you would use "having an opinion" as an excuse is when you're mostly trying to avoid any blows to your breakable claim. That, or the other person is just being an *** by calling you retarded after you used #1 for no apparent reason or something.

The latter happens the most on YouTube comments. -shiver-

Last edited:

Dattebayo

Banned
It's just your opinion? Well, it's my opinion that your opinion sucks.

It depends on what type of opinion you're talking about. If it's a reasonable reason, then you're just butthurt. If it's a respectable opinion, then it's kinda debatable. If it's a terrible opinion, then what you're saying is not an opinion, but a fact because that opinion you're responding is poorly constructed.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
'best' would be different, but 'strong' is definitely not opinionated.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Base power and base stats of course. It's really simple.

7 tyranitars

best: is an oppinion based
strongest: is absed on facts

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
As people said if an opinion can be proven wrong with facts it's not really an opinion. Well it could be you're just dead wrong Like the many times people think EVs are something the creators didn't intend us to find out about as a simple example. If you're using in my opinion to justify a false fact you've already lost.
And who are we to say whats "Strong"?
Regarding pokemon this can't even be argued. It's just numbers.

Last edited:

Atari

Did it on 'em
People form opinions based on prior experiences, exposure to media, biased information from a relative or teacher, lack of outside influences, ignorance of information, emotion, etc. Depending on the impact a specific subject has brought onto a person throughout their lives, how well they would cope with an opposing or varied opinion changes.

For example, a child was continuously exposed to around a family member who believes bull dogs are evil. Then, after the child has grown, they are attacked through a first encounter with a rabid bull dog. But, no one ever explained to the person the dog was rabid. Thus, the person grew up believing all bull dogs are evil because of this negative experience as well as the information fed to them by their family member. Most likely, it would take a very influential source to convince the person that not all bull dogs are evil.

On the other hand, another child had a lot of exposure to friendly bull dogs and was previously informed about the danger of rabid dogs. Should they be attacked, it is more likely they would not come to the conclusion that bull dogs are evil, considering their positive experiences and previously given information.

natie

Mr. F
Well, it is a given fact that bulldogs are generally more agressive than other dogs.

riolulu

<riolulu_sppf.exe>
What this reminded me of is when people state a wrong fact and then get all upset when you tell them its wrong and be like "opinions arent wrong!" That's what I hate.

"Barbie has brown hair!"
"No, she has blonde hair..."
"But that's my opinion! Opinions aren't wrong!"

Does anyone else see the problem here? Everyone does it to me >.< How do they not get what they are saying?

~riolulu

NimhShambler

Some Broke Machine
^Perhaps that's another kind of Barbie.

From experience, I know that they usually name "Barbie Dolls" of different hair colours different names. The red-haired one was called "Midge" (<-Though I never called mine that. I don't like that name, it sounds frumpy, to me.), the Brunette is (or atleast, when I was a kid was...) called "Theresa", and so on and so forth. "Barbie" herself is almost always blonde, unless it's some sort of special Barbie.

Again, though, this is information from 10-12 years ago, and likely, the other colour-haired Barbie dolls may have other names now. (Sadly, I've not seen a red-haired Barbie in ages. :( )Or, my entire argument could be moot, because over a decade has elapsed. (The last Barbie I recall was the "Pregnant Barbie" who had a fetus inside her. I was totally creeped out by that, and started playing with G-I Joes. Atleast he can't be pregnant.)

But, I digress.

-----More to the point of this thread.

Yes, sometimes, after posts, I'll put "It's merely my opinion, though." even though I do back up mine with reasons, rather than just saying ignorant things.

The reason I do this, is because I've been on a large number of forums, mostly populated by morons/children who, when you state something as an opinion, like, for instance, "I dislike the re-make of Final Fantasy Tactics. I felt that it didn't do justice to the original game. In truth, to me, it felt like a child's 'play-pretend party'."; I would get responses along the lines of: "ZOMG! U shud keel urself rite naow. It wuz teh best game evur!" .

That, is why I say "It's only my opinion, though." after some posts, to avoid idiotic rebuttles, though, thankfully, I've noted that SPPf is mercifully free of idiots of that magnitude.

~Nem

Zephur19

#1 A reasonable opinion is when you back up your claim with preexisting facts, are able to make structural counterarguments against those who oppose your idea, and just generally not pulling anything out of your ***.
#2 Respectable opinions are those that CANNOT (in ANY way) be proven true or wrong. For example, "I think carrots are the best vegetables ever" or "I just happen to prefer [this] over [this]".
#3 A terrible opinion is when you run around claiming something without any valid basis to back it up (i.e. "ALL GAYS WERE BORN FROM THE DEVIL", "POKEMON WAS MADE BY SATAN", "I DON'T THINK SHOOTING MYSELF IN THE HEAD WILL KILL ME").

The only time you would use "having an opinion" as an excuse is when you're mostly trying to avoid any blows to your breakable claim. That, or the other person is just being an *** by calling you retarded after you used #1 for no apparent reason or something.

The latter happens the most on YouTube comments. -shiver-

THANK YOU LORD AND SAVIOR! <-----And THAT'S my opinion ;D

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
That probably one of her many "friends". Having a little sister will give you such knowledges. Even if this is obviously just a re-wigged barbie.
There are worse opinions such as:
"Batman Brave and the Bold sucks! It's nothing like Batman: TAS"
"It's not suppose to be but it does things the old one could never do"
"It still sucks!"
"But you never watched it..."

Last edited: