• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Original Pallet Trainers

Hunter_RuLe

< Guess who's back?
Time for a classic indigo League question. In the beginning of the anime there are 3 rivals of Ash mentioned. It's not a one time ting as this came back in several episodes like 'Challenge of the Samurai', 'Waterflowers of Cerulean City'and 'Primape goes Bananas'. I'm almost sure Ash mentions 'Damian and the others' in one of these episodes. The question is does the anime make clear who these 3 are?

1- Gary - Squirtle (proven in 'The Ties that Bind')

2- Damian ? - Charmander (Charmander the stray pokemon, Ash takes him over)

3- Maybe the Venusaur trainer of 'Mewtwo stikers back' He looks a little like Gary and he seems to know Ash.

What are your thoughts on this?

scissorX

The other one who left with them was Seth.... Well at least in my fanfic. Anyway, nobody else was mentioned apart from Gary & Ash. I doubt they will make a return this late too. But if you'd like to see them, keep an eye out for my fanfic!

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
*Spins hypnodisc and speaks in monotone*

There were never any other Pallet trainers...

*Stops spinning, then recalls something and spins it again*

...or GS Ball.

*Stops spinning again*

Hunter_RuLe

< Guess who's back?
He never mentioned Damian as being one.

Thnx for making this clear, I always wondered who Ash rivals are since the samurai episode. I'll look up his exact words in the episodes I mentioned. It's a pity the writers never did anything with ths, but than again they never did anything with things like the GS ball either..

The other one who left with them was Seth.... Well at least in my fanfic. Anyway, nobody else was mentioned apart from Gary & Ash. I doubt they will make a return this late too. But if you'd like to see them, keep an eye out for my fanfic!

It isn't the real deal, but fanon is the best we can get I guess. I'll watch your fanfic, it sounds quite interesting.

PDL

disenchanted
They were merely used as a plot device so Ash didn't receive any of the starters at the beginning and get Pikachu instead. Also not to purposely reveal which starter Gary chose.

They were dropped by the indigo season because it became less and less likely they'll show up. They probably won't be referenced again. Ever.

Jorah

What do I put here?
I can't remember when, but I remember Oak saying that the other 2 people didn't make it to the Indigo League because they didn't have enough badges.

MaskedManAbsolkid

Sudovoodo, you're right, I think that guy was mentioned as being from Kanto. I'm guessing he would have been the Charmander trainer, because he has a traded Ivysaur. I doubt it's him though.

If Ash ever saw those trainers again, I doubt he'd know who they are anyway. For all we know, they were probably already showcased.

I seriously doubt it's Damian. He had far too many Pokemon to be a begining trainer. (Not to mention the fact that the trainer that started with Charmander was only able to carry six Pokemon, which is much less then Damian had.)

3- Maybe the Venusaur trainer of 'Mewtwo stikers back' He looks a little like Gary and he seems to know Ash.

Ash never met either of the other two trainers who started that day, so how exactly would they be able to recognize him? (Besides, that guy was a serious Pokemon trainer, and Oak once said that neither of the other trainers who started that day ever amounted to anything.)

Last edited:

Darkfall

Abuses SHIFT + ENTER
I can't remember when, but I remember Oak saying that the other 2 people didn't make it to the Indigo League because they didn't have enough badges.

I remember!

Frankly, since I don't remember seeing her anywhere else, i'm going to go ahead and assume it's the girl in the opening. Pikachu jumps off Ash's shoulder and runs under her legs. Before Charizard blasts fire and everyone jumps behind a rock or something.
Unless she is seen somewhere, she just seems random.

NES

Flip me to the side!
I remember!

Frankly, since I don't remember seeing her anywhere else, i'm going to go ahead and assume it's the girl in the opening. Pikachu jumps off Ash's shoulder and runs under her legs. Before Charizard blasts fire and everyone jumps behind a rock or something.
Unless she is seen somewhere, she just seems random.

That girl in the intro isn't Giselle? (the girl in the pokemon school episode bla,bla). I can't remember, so long i saw these...

It's a shame we never got to see the people that took Charmander and Bulbasaur, they could be part from some Indigo episode, and yes Oak explains they didn't make it to the Indigo league, they weren't skilled enough so they quit (if i remember well).

Hunter_RuLe

< Guess who's back?
I seriously doubt it's Damian. He had far too many Pokemon to be a begining trainer. (Not to mention the fact that the trainer that started with Charmander was only able to carry six Pokemon, which is much less then Damian had.)
I really don't know for sure either, that's why I made this thread in the first place. And why is it that the Charmander beginner can have only six pokemon but another trainer, Damian, can have more than six? Overmore how could Damain get Charmander if it wasn't his starter anyway? I remember him saying that it was still weak, maybe he though so due to the first to gyms types? No offence, just asking.

Ash never met either of the other two trainers who started that day, so how exactly would they be able to recognize him? (Besides, that guy was a serious Pokemon trainer, and Oak once said that neither of the other trainers who started that day ever amounted to anything.)
Thats exactly my question, if I remember right the trainer said something to Ash like 'Ah, you finally made it'. In the show the trainers never met, so how could he have recognized him? Maybe because he was one of his Pallet rivals before the first episode. I'm not saying he is, but he could be. Also in 'Primape goes Bananas' Prof. Oak tells Ash that all his rivals already have 5 badges, so the trainer did 'amounted anything'.

Darkfall

Abuses SHIFT + ENTER
I really don't know for sure either, that's why I made this thread in the first place. And why is it that the Charmander beginner can have only six pokemon but another trainer, Damian, can have more than six? Overmore how could Damain get Charmander if it wasn't his starter anyway? I remember him saying that it was still weak, maybe he though so due to the first to gyms types? No offence, just asking.

Thats exactly my question, if I remember right the trainer said something to Ash like 'Ah, you finally made it'. In the show the trainers never met, so how could he have recognized him? Maybe because he was one of his Pallet rivals before the first episode. I'm not saying he is, but he could be. Also in 'Primape goes Bananas' Prof. Oak tells Ash that all his rivals already have 5 badges, so the trainer did 'amounted anything'.

Damian claimed Charmander was a 'weak Pokemon', clearly meaning in general, he was hoping it to be a powerhouse of some kind, Damian = Early Shinji.
Oak said in an episode before the Indigo LEague, that the two other trainers were not skilled enough and gave up the life of a trianer, SURE they may have had a few gym badges but Oak said, clearly, they gave up.
Also, the 'early gym badges' idea doesn't work, remember in the anime there are more then 8 gyms, Gary has TEN badges when he goes to the indigo league so...
Plus starters CAN be found in the wild, that's how Oak and everyone else GOT them.

Hunter_RuLe

< Guess who's back?
Damian claimed Charmander was a 'weak Pokemon', clearly meaning in general, he was hoping it to be a powerhouse of some kind, Damian = Early Shinji.
Oak said in an episode before the Indigo LEague, that the two other trainers were not skilled enough and gave up the life of a trianer, SURE they may have had a few gym badges but Oak said, clearly, they gave up.
Correct, but Damian and the Venusaur guy never were shown in the indigo league anyway so this doesn't mean they can't be the original Pallet trainers.

Also, the 'early gym badges' idea doesn't work, remember in the anime there are more then 8 gyms, Gary has TEN badges when he goes to the indigo league so...
Plus starters CAN be found in the wild, that's how Oak and everyone else GOT them.
True, but the Cerulean Sisters did say that they were beaten 3 times in a row by Pallet trainers before the Charmander episode came, therefore Damian could have found his Charmander weak in this gym fight as his other pokemons could have handeled the water pokemon better. Also starter pokemon are really rare and it's not very likely that someone as Damian catches one.

DaMike52

Banned
Time for a classic indigo League question. In the beginning of the anime there are 3 rivals of Ash mentioned. It's not a one time ting as this came back in several episodes like 'Challenge of the Samurai', 'Waterflowers of Cerulean City'and 'Primape goes Bananas'. I'm almost sure Ash mentions 'Damian and the others' in one of these episodes. The question is does the anime make clear who these 3 are?

1- Gary - Squirtle (proven in 'The Ties that Bind')

What are your thoughts on this?

I think you are right

pkmntrainersilver

i dont know......
Well i know who the New Bark Trainers are. I dont think the G/S rival was shown in any of the Animes/

Jimmy-Cyndaquil
Kris- Chikorita
G/S rival-Totidile