• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Pantheon

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
Kyurem for the wandering jotunn is a really inspired choice, I think – like, Kyurem is a cold corpse that birthed two hot, living things, and given how the world of Norse mythology begins, with Ymir spawning lumps of life from his comatose body and then being butchered by Odin and friends, it seems like a very fitting choice for the jotnar representative here. And that's just the start of it; you do a lovely job of capturing that brilliant combination of low cunning, blundering ignorance and prideful bigotry that makes the Norse gods such compelling characters. They're all very human, and most of them aren't particularly good humans, either. Your Thor is someone who lets his weapons take over thinking from his brain, your Odin is simultaneously wise and exasperating, and your Loki is the Norse equivalent of a wheedling second-hand car dealer. It's all so good. It would have been nice to see more of Freya -- her voice is often weirdly and conspicuously absent from tellings of this story, despite the fact that I would imagine she had some strong opinions about all this -- but what we do get is great.

It does feel a lot more like a straight retelling with pokémon flavouring than some of the other stories, though – like, the Arachne story diverged from the original in interesting ways that made great use of the pokémon setting, while this one more or less maps the characters involved onto relevant pokémon. However, it does that very well, I think, and a good deal better than some of the other stories. I've mentioned Kyurem already, and I think that zoroark and Zekrom for Loki and Thor were also exceptionally well chosen – especially since Zekrom is more than just a lightning pokémon, it's a lightning pokémon with incredibly destructive potential and a predilection for following big ideas.

And you know what? Apart from anything else, this is a really entertaining entry. It's a fun myth, showing the Aesir at their uh-yeah-we're-totally-in-control-of-all-this-wait-crap-what-was-that best, and you add some fun of your own. Nice work.

Last edited:

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
“If I remember correctly, I sang so well- “

“Read, loudly.”

“-that some sort of red ichor was leaking from his nose before he collapsed. Judging from the reactions of the crowd, he may have died due to the sheer beauty of my voice.”

Athena sighed heavily. “Brother, did you use your Hyper Voice on a mortal again?”

Apollo pls

“I could turn you into an ariados, like your partner,” Athena quipped, knowing full well that this ability was not actually in her moveset, but also well aware that mortals didn’t know this. Seeing Arachne’s stunned reaction, she smirked, gleeful that her ruse had been successful. “However,” she continued, “I feel that fate would be…too good for you. You could still weave your treacherous web that way. Your human form is too limiting for your grand ideas anyway.”

She suddenly flew directly up to Arachne’s face, stopping only inches from her nose. “I think I will take away what you hold most dear to you. Your ideas. Your so-called wisdom. I’ll even take away your stupidity, your arrogance, even your very words and ‘intelligence’. You will be left a shell, unable to conjure up a single, solitary thought. And even if your fellow mortals deem it fit to help you, raise you back to a barely functioning level, you will not be Arachne anymore.” She gave the girl a wicked smile, showing her teeth in an almost primeval display of intimidation. “Have you anything to say before your demise.”

Clever adaptation of Arachne's punishment to a (an?? idk I always pronounced it with a consonant noise up front) uxie's powers.
Octavian never tired of bragging to everyone he knew about how the gods blessed him with a form that could transform, making him grander, more intimidating in appearance, merely by concentrating on a tiny stone.

"Concentrating" on it. Yeah. Why do I get the feeling he actually tripped over a dawn stone or something equally undignified. :p

There were 15 pieces in all, scattered all across the Nile River. As the trio fished them out of the water, Isis’ fears were made manifest. Every piece that they found was wholly unrecognizable.

The legs looked like a cat’s. Or were they more dog-like? The arms had become scaly and lizard-like. His tail was transformed to that of a fish, and the head? Utterly alien. His hawk-like head had grown a crest, the beak had fused with the face, and the whole of his head had lost all its color, rendering his visage a deathly white. Whether it was from the loss of blood or the dark magic, she could not say.

Congratulations! Your Darkrai (?) has evolved into Silvally!

God, what if that were possible in-game. Chop up one monster, put it back together, get another. Guess it wouldn't be rated E for Everyone anymore. :B

Also: guess who intially mistook the Ringo quote for author's notes, despite knowing damn well that's been in your sig for a time, and thus fleetingly tried to figure out how the hell that quote could apply to that story.

I mean it's not like silvally have a elaphant foot. :B

This embarrassing fiasco had begun not three seasons prior, when the frost-bitten jotun, named Kyurem, had wandered into the halls of the newly constructed Valhalla, supposedly looking for work. The gods, troubled at the presence of such a vile creature in their halls, but still naïve in their curiosity, inquired further.

“It is a rather simple request, truly,” the beast growled. “I am a builder, held in high regard by human and Frost Giants alike.”

Okay jotun!Kyurem is fitting af.

“At ease, brother,” Loki interrupted, his hand momentarily leaving his thick, blood-red mane to off-handedly wave off his more boisterous brother. “This jotun has not even named his price yet, and you mean to bash his brains in? At the very least, hear him out, and let our father name his conditions.”

The noble Odin scoffed at the zoroark’s words.

As is zoroark!Loki ajhdfs...

“I’ll name my price, then, if that’s settled.” He took a deep breath. “I name as my price the sun the moon and the goddess Freya thank you I’ll begin work immediately.”

XD That delivery...

Loki’s back went rigid when he realized what he would have to do. This would take every bit of his willpower, mental fortitude, and physical stamina to even come close to doing this most heinous of deeds.

“HORSE ****!!”

More like HORSE F--you know. :B

As I suspected, these are hella enjoyable. Looking forward to the next!

ChloboShoka

Writer
I can't believe how much I am in love with this at the moment. I love pokemon and history and I love the blend of this mythologies. I think it's the Ace Attorney fan in me, but the names Athena and Apollo made me think of Apollo Justice and Athena Cykes. I'm loving the details and really loved the line: Humans are becoming ungrateful of our gifts.

diamondpearl876

So, I should preface this by saying I'm not the most well-versed in mythology stories, so I can't comment much on how true you are to the stories or how you diverge from them or anything. Sorry. XD

Anyway! The dialogue is, for the most part, sounds exactly what I'd expect from a mythology story - it's pompous, wordy, and dripping with every fact possible to emphasize how arrogant the characters are, lol. Some of it seems a tad forced and flows oddly, but nothing too badly that distracts me from what's happening.

The pokemon choices are pretty spot on, too. I was happy to see a variety of 'mons out there, including zoroark, gallade, and - even though it's a legend, it's an uncommon one - virizion. Each one fit the role perfectly, especially Kyurem. Uxie's another favorite of mine, and I think it was my favorite tale out of all of them, given how you incorporated its 'dex entry about it opening its eyes and being able to reduce any creature to, well, basically nothing.

I apologize for the lame review, lol. I simply read and enjoyed the tales for what they were, without taking many notes. So I don't have much to say besides what I already did, honestly, except that they were entertaining reads and I appreciate all the little details you put into them to make them feel like real myths.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
I enjoyed reading these so far... Quirky, but in a good way.

The choices of Pokémon used were great, and I look forward to the next installment. Whether it's based on Mayan, Celtic, Chinese, Hindu, or Shinto gods, etc... Either way I'll be satisfied with your work regardless.

EDIT: If you need help with more obscure myths, feel free to let me know. I know a lot of these things...

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
Lemme preface this with I am not a mythology buff and most of my exposure to it is from the God of War games (because I barely remember reading the Iliad and the Odyssey back in school).

Book 1
-Great choice making Athena Uxie. Knowledge and wisdom go hand in hand after all. And I like it because her sharp, ice queen personality is a total contrast to my headcanon of Uxie being a bland, emotionless narcoleptic. Basically the exact opposite of Athena. And I know the gods argued in these mythos stories, but seeing Athena and Apollo bickering like siblings (albeit regal ones) made me smile.

“If I remember correctly, I sang so well- “

“Read, loudly.”

“-that some sort of red ichor was leaking from his nose before he collapsed. Judging from the reactions of the crowd, he may have died due to the sheer beauty of my voice.”

Athena sighed heavily. “Brother, did you use your Hyper Voice on a mortal again?”
Again, not familiar with mythos stuff, but I feel like the gods considered our frailty and mortality as a trivial matter. In which case, their casual dissmisal makes perfect sense.

-There’s always something fun about reading a scene where one character confronts another with tranquil fury. I appreciate that Athena’s dialogue and actions really spell out her bubbling anger, as opposed to just getting narration that said she was angry. It’s very entertaining. The parts where Thora realizes “Yeah my partner done goofed” were great too.
-And a fitting punishment. Arachne loses her mind (literally). I like Athena’s justification for it, too, as trying to correct a lack of wisdom and insight. Not because it’s good justification, but because it makes Athena seem hypocritical. Since a punishment like that doesn’t seem all that derived from logic and wisdom.

Book 2
-Of course we get a Xatu in a story revolving around visions and glimpses of the future. It’s their shtick.
-Admittedly I needed to do a little research for context. I’m familiar with Caesar and Augustus but not so much Mark Antony and Lepidus and the whole Second Triumvirate business. But it’s quite intriguing what with the double-crossing and betrayals that happened. In some regards, things haven’t changed much in the political field. Although I think the mechanics of Pokémon might’ve betrayed this scene a bit. There’s something off about a part psychic-type like Gallade asking another psychic-type for a vision of the future. Like, I feel like a Gallade could sense a Xatu’s potential hostility and deal with it. Especially since Xatu could have type advantage. Either this is a “keep your friends close and enemies closer” tactic that the reader might want to be let onto, or this is your way of furthering Lepidus’ belief that Octavius is nothing but a useless brat. Those are the only interpretations I got from it, anyway.
-And the procession scene itself has a sense of scope and grandiose scale about it. Octavius’ speech matched that scale and wouldn’t feel all that out of place in a classical work (or dare I say some movie centering on that part of history). I don’t know if the intention was to show Octavius’ crowd-swaying abilities that probably helped him maintain his autocratic reign even while it looked like he was granting more freedom around the empire, but that’s what it felt like. Also, Riolus as Egyptians! D’aww… you guys are so terrified. As you should be!

Book 3
-Okay, I know NOTHING about Egyptian mythos other than tidbits relating to the Book of Exodus. That said, there’s a pretty clear picture painted as to just what the situation is with Set and Osiris (though I do not trust Nephthys and if that was your intention, good, it worked). But again, I can’t help but feel like certain Pokémon mechanics betray the scene. If Isis is a Cresselia are you really telling me she was unable to sense any sort of conflict in the Pharoah’s room? I guess you could handwave it with some sort of magical ward explanation or something. Still, it popped up in my mind.
-I can’t even make a snide remark about Lucario!Anubis, because dang it, I smiled when he summoned an ankh. And you even tied the aura sensing stuff into it, along with Suicune’s abilities to purify water (which only makes Isis’s oversights more glaring to me). I will make a snide remark about how Ra isn’t Solgaleo, though (I’m assuming its Thousand Arms means it’s Arceus). I get that Ra is comparable to Zeus and thus Arceus makes sense but, c’mon, SUN GOD. Okay, I’ll stop now. XP

The legs looked like a cat’s. Or were they more dog-like? The arms had become scaly and lizard-like. His tail was transformed to that of a fish, and the head? Utterly alien. His hawk-like head had grown a crest, the beak had fused with the face, and the whole of his head had lost all its color, rendering his visage a deathly white. Whether it was from the loss of blood or the dark magic, she could not say.
OHMYGOD it took me a moment to realize this but Set turned him into a Silvally! AHH! AHH! Excuse me while I go fanboy over in the corner for a minute. Actually, no, wait, I’m so sad. The Silvally’s dead. Cursed Egyptian gods! I do think it’s creative that the “embalming” process was akin to fitting on the control helmet that made it Type: Null. Definitely an improvement as far as adding Pokémon mechanics are concerned.
-I will also venture and take a wild guess that Set is Yveltal. What better Pokémon to turn Osiris into Type: Null than the devourer of souls?

Book 4
-Oh boy, norse mythology. Which I only really know of from Marvel movies. I’m making a fool of myself, aren’t I? But awwww yeah, we got Gen V focus. While I will say picking Zekrom for Thor and Zoroark for Loki is extraordinarily obvious, it’s still fun to see the comparison. Zekrom’s acting like a hammy, overly-passionate guy, perfect for the whole “dragon of ideals” shtick. Along those lines, Odin’s hamminess brings to mind Arceus’s depiction in the dub of the Jewel of Life movie. And it’s beautiful. ^^
-The one thing that strikes me as odd is, again, more Pokémon mechanic related. You mean to tell me soulless, brainless Kyurem is a con artist and that a Virizion would willingly work for it? And, considering multiple mediums have shown Kyurem able to form gigantic ice palaces on its own, one doesn’t wonder why he can’t just do it himself. I guess my suspension of disbelief wasn’t willing to go for this one. I do get a chuckle out of Kyurem lounging about though.
-BWAHAHAHAHA okay that ending had me in stitches. Like, goodness, everyone’s personalities are so lively in this and you can just feel how utterly defeated Loki is by this whole ordeal. I’m not even going to question how any of that stuff works because, as Jeff Goldblum would remind us, “Ah, life, ah, finds a way.”

You were right. These were a lot of fun to read, despite my lack of mythos experience.