• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

the perfect horror flick

what scares you? what do you think would make a good horror movie ? Srisly i have'nt seen a half way decent one in ages!
(horror NOT slasher)

so anyway:I would love to see a classic haunted house movie
with zombies and robot zombies (the kind that infects your phone) and a werewolf type of monster with your classic blood drinking vampierish ppl! all that and rabid ground and a bunch of ppl on halloween!

what do you wanna see?

Ethan

Banned
I think this will fair a bit better here in entertainment. Stuff related to books, movies and the like go here, or generally anything that amuses you in the slightest.

I love scary movies, just not the slice'm dice'm type of horror. Stuff like Signs, What Lies Beneath, Disturbia, are all good examples of moviess that can instill fear without being completely gross. I like to be held in suspense as if I'm actually there at the scene. Movies like Saw I never got into. I just don't get my kicks and giggles watching people getting brutally slaughtered on the big screen. Call me a puritan, lol. It gets even worse when not only is the horror movie slice'm dice'm, but have very demonic undertones. Then not only is it nasty, but just plain creepy and disturbing. Which isn't the same as being scared in my book. Two examples would be Chucke and The Puppet master. Chucke is a possesed doll that kills people. In one movie he even tries to impregnate a human woman with his demon child. That's not horror. It's just damn stupid and disgusting. I'm all for everyone has their thing that floats their boat, but that just disgusting. Then in one Puppet masters movie these demonic toys capture a young woman, kill her and summon the demon of Ba'al, or something like that, whatever it was. For me at least, there's a huge difference between senseless and cruel violence, and suspenseful tense fillled moments that keep you at the edge of your seat.

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
movies like the village that's what need to be made more, a big story with alot of happenings with a surprising end nobody saw coming that's
a piece of art.

some horrors features nothing else but slowely killing everybody in a gross way untill two people manage to escape
and that is the most poor type of horror that exists, people who make those stupid movies should be working at a cafetaria instead.

Last edited:
yeah any good movie is art but ppl want to see old stuff reinvented
*coughrobotzombiescough* zombie movies are not as scary as they once were but if you change one small thing its scary again!

Topaz Archer

TheWorldIsQuietHere
I'm really sick of these "slice'm dice'm" films, too, Babylon.
They are really senseless and have stupid plots. Gratuitous violence/ gore just irks me. I dunno why. I mean, seriously, if you like that, then you are probably sick.
So, any film that ISN'T that is good for me. There ARE a few good ones coming out, surprisingly. I just can't remember what they were.

the_w0lf

-/-Dutty Love-/-
^Whether the first Saw movie was considered somewhat tasteless with it's motives behind the violence is debatable but now it its 5th installment, is not the perfect horror movie at all...

Consider me lame, but I love japanese horror flicks. With some of the originals, theyre so bizarre and out there that I almost believe they could be possibly. Many have stupid backstories but when these movies are done right (example, the first Ring), it makes me feel like there really could be a scary tape and ghostly spirits.

I like some of the classic slasher films like the first couple of Friday the 13ths but Im all for tasteful ghostly encounters mostly.

Nidogod

Chucke is a possesed doll that kills people. In one movie he even tries to impregnate a human woman with his demon child. That's not horror. It's just damn stupid and disgusting. I'm all for everyone has their thing that floats their boat, but that just disgusting.

In a case like this, horror movies commonly walk the line between horror and just plain twisted comedy. Chuckie is one of those series that do indeed try to be scary, but at the same time keep up the morbid gags. Sometimes you really just need to read about a movie before watching it to know what to expect. Fear is a tricky thing to bring about in people so it might be hard to get a movie that really gets to you.

Stuff like Signs, What Lies Beneath, Disturbia, are all good examples of moviess that can instill fear without being completely gross.

movies like the village that's what need to be made more, a big story with alot of happenings with a surprising end nobody saw coming that's
a piece of art.

Yes, Mr. M. Night Shyamalamadingdong does one thing right by actually using mood and the fear of the unknown to really wrap you up in his films. I won't get into my stance that his movies are mostly garbage (especially The Village, and The Happening), but yes, he actually uses a real technique to stimulate fear.

I'm very passionate about this because horror movies are the one genre of movie that never works out. Comedies are usually funny, dramas are dramatic, action movies have lots of action, and horror movies are 99.8% of the time not scary at all. Horror is now more about showing some boobs, having some brutal violence, and making a quick buck at the box office. It isn't even hard to make a great formula for horror. Take these for example.

The Thing - What don't know what it is, we don't know what it's capable of doing, we're stranded with it on an Antarctic base. Isolation always tastes good in the mixing pot, and DOES NOT mean 'The killer is in my house and the phone doesn't work.' When someone can simply open the front door, we spend the movie waiting for it. When they really have no where to go we become more engrossed.

The Exorcist - Deserves all the credit it gets. This film is the perfect example of something being visually scary. With great acting and great direction we have some seriously scary imagery that people don't often forget after seeing. I almost cried when I saw the girl doing the backwards crab walk down the stairs when I was 9 or 10.

May - One of my favorites and most people don't know it exists. In this we see the world through the eyes of the insane. It is not bone chillingly creepy, but it is morbid and still all the while very interesting. When watching it, people should also note that even though the movie is about (not serious spoilers) a girl mutilating victims to make her own Frankenstein, there is minimal gore (at least until the last couple minutes).

There are many other movies with strong techniques like this to bring out fear such as House on Haunted Hill (remake), The Evil Dead, Signs, Alien, The Ring, but the ones I named are the more bold examples.

I won't go in depth with movies with things not to do, but I'll include a couple things.

1. Group of teengers. A good example would be every movie that was supposed to be scary that's come out since the 1960's save for a handful of them. It's old, it's boring, it's honestly retarded. Just because the main audience will be teenagers doesn't mean we need all the 'zomg I fell again', 'wait here, I'll go save her', 'let's split up','hey a bed, lets screw', among other things.

2. Believable terror. Yes, it's easy and cheap to have the big bad guy just be some guy, but really, can't we think a little more? When you know that no matter who the killer will end up being he will still be nothing more than a man, what's the point of sitting through the whole movie?

3. Cliche. I'll wrap this up because I know no one wants to read it. We DO NOT need any more teens in a haunted house, teens in a regular house, teens disrupting a grave, teens in a cabin, killer with a knife, killer with a hook, killer with a gun. SHYAMALAN, YOU ***, QUIT RUINING YOUR GOOD BUILDUPS WITH TERRIBLE TERRIBLE WASTE OF MY LIFE TWISTS!

So to actually answer the topic (why am I always so talkative first thing in the morning), get some good intelligent people, put them somewhere they really can't escape from, and present us with an evil that we can barely wrap our minds around. Don't announce it though, just a taste here and a taste of it there. Let the fear of the cast help accent our fear. Then when the time is right give us enough information that we truly care, but not enough to kill the intrigue (Predator and Predator 2 do this perfectly) and leave us with a satisfying ending, whatever it may be.

And if you thought that rant was long, wait until someone makes a thread about monster movies.

Last edited:

mew801

I thought that disturbia was good. it didn't have all the blood and guts that some horror movies do, that i find really gross.

mimefan

Banned
Probably Halloween. It didn't scare me but then again it showed no blood and it has memorable music.

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
This is my kind of thread.

I love horror movies, but i've yet to find one that could scare me really badly.

The only one that came close was the original Halloween, because when Michael Myers stands over Lori with no mask you see his eyes, which are black and that is the only thing that has ever scared me, because that is a sign of real evil.

Cyan

Mortal
Any horror movie before 2000 (That isn't Freddy vs. Jason). Namely Halloween and the sixth Friday the 13th film.

How I miss the days of hockey-masked zombies and overly-dramatic British people.

IMPERIAL DRAGON

Enemy Of Reality
One thing I dislike is when people look down on the gory aspects of horror; seems so prudish to be phobic of horror’s lifeblood, immature even, since when you watch certain horror films that are intended to be comical and overly surreal, you’ve gotta have a sense of humour.

To be honest, I actually thought The Exorcist was more of a comedy when I saw it a few years ago… my parents warned me it was apparently so scary that when they saw it the cinema back when it came out, it genuinely disturbed people, yet when as I watched it, I was laughing my arse off. It’s rare to find a horror film that actually fills you with a sense of fear and paranoia, as though you’re expecting some ghoul to come behind and grab you. The Descent, The Orphanage and 1408 did this well in my opinion, these three actually make your heart beat faster and sit on the edge of your seat, especially The Orphanage, a thoroughly enjoyable and thought provoking modern horror flick. The use of the eyes in The Grudge was really effective too, that was pretty much one of the only things that has actually freaked me out.

Over all my favourite horror films are Poltergeist 1 + 2 and both the Pet Sematary films. Poltergeist is THE best horror film of all time if you ask me, and I’ve seen a lot, I love all the 80’s horror stuff like Fright Night, the Evil Dead trilogy, Shocker etc and I have enjoyed modern films like Signs, but I think the Saw films are the diamond in the modern crown of horror. Whether you’re a fan or not, you must admit, the Saw series is one of the most competent and clever franchises in recent horror. I confess, they aren’t at all scary but they are so brilliantly put together. Otherwise though, I absolutely adore horror comedies, I grew up on watching Chucky, he’s one of my favourite horror characters. Idle Hands is a film I love too, it’s got just the right balance.

cbiesra

Pedophillia? Naww.>>
I am by no means a Horror fan, I actually kind of hate them.
But I'm with Profesco, I really do like suspense. Gore and brutalness are not apealing in my opinion.
So, Sci-Fy and movies like Disturbia I can sit through. That's really about it.

mewfan1

28 Days Later was the perfect horror flick in my opinion. I thought it was scary not because of the mindless zombies, but the thought of being surrounded by thousands of these infected people and not being safe, well, any where. The thought of a virus that infects someone in a matter of seconds really scared me. I could not sleep after I saw this movie.

Today I watched "Cabin Fever". At times it was creepy, but most of the time it was silly and one of those typical "stupid teen horror flicks". If I had a dollar for every time one of the college kids were walking around saying, "Hello? Is someone there?" I'd be rich.
Besides that, it was very gross. I am not a fan of those gory horror flicks but I was curious. And it was on cable so I didn't pay to see it. The tension was good, but by the last 15 minutes it was like, "O Come on!"

Penguin_Man

Good horror isn't cheap scares, like someone popping on screen, or a bunch of blood, but it has to be psychologically scary. You know get in your head. I think the Silent Hill games (only played 1-4) and the movie Jacob's Ladder were very creepy, and that's good, not like those slasher films

Children of the Corn ftw.

BUG

insert joke so dated I don't even remember it
With the exclusion of demonic possession, i find most if not all "horror" movies laughable.

Hyendae

Herfderf
An inanimate object that can think and has emotions.

Ugh.

This is my kind of thread.

I love horror movies, but i've yet to find one that could scare me really badly.

The only one that came close was the original Halloween, because when Michael Myers stands over Lori with no mask you see his eyes, which are black and that is the only thing that has ever scared me, because that is a sign of real evil.

I love those movies halloween 4 eva It scared everyone to death at my halloween party last year!

I like final destonation 3 despite it being slashish, I like how they played on the death theme without getting "man with knifey"