• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The perfect pokemon team?

cyotekid

poke battle anyone?
What do you all think is the perfect pokemon team????

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
For what? Battling competeively? Battling through the game? In theory if pokemon were real? In Anime terms? Manga Terms? 1st Gen? 2nd Gen? 3rd Gen? 4th Gen? Legal?

The perfect pokemon team is one that is unbeatable and full of your favourites. Since these rarely go hand in hand, I think having them both together would be perfect.

MokKish

Breeding Enthustiast
No such thing, since every pokemon have their weaknesses, even if not because of their type. A good team would be something that has both special and physical attackers with good type coverage, some pokemon to support the other with status problems, entry hazards and/or healing moves.. But most of all a good team requires a good trainer who knows how to use the team.

dannydstk

No such thing, since every pokemon have their weaknesses, even if not because of their type. A good team would be something that has both special and physical attackers with good type coverage, some pokemon to support the other with status problems, entry hazards and/or healing moves.. But most of all a good team requires a good trainer who knows how to use the team.

basically the exact opposite of ash lol

MokKish

Breeding Enthustiast
basically the exact opposite of ash lol
Yeah, the only strategy he's ever had is "damn, all my other pokemon have been defeated, luckily I still have... PIKACHU!" and then he magically pwns everyone..

2 spiritomb, 2 garchomp a snorlax and a Scizor, pwnage

So true. But... Arceus Arceus Arceus Arceus Arceus Arceus.

Then why was my Arceus killed by Rhyperior in PBR?

Anyways, as most people here said, there is none. Make your own team, if you battle competitive or just want to use your favorites, it doesn't matters. Every team can be beaten.

Dawntiger

<3<>HeartGold<><3
So true. But... Arceus Arceus Arceus Arceus Arceus Arceus.

Quote from Smogon...

Counters

As versatile as Arceus is, every individual set is entirely counterable. Giratina and Lugia can switch in on an Extreme Killer set very easily with their ridiculous Defense and HP and burn or Whirlwind it away, respectively; additionally, intelligent switching lets them use their Pressure ability to disintegrate its meager 8 ExtremeSpeed PP. Skarmory works similarly to Lugia, although the Overheat version squashes it. However, Skarmory is also capable of dealing with the Ghost Swords Dancer, a distinction shared by the insanely defensive Normal Arceus, which can Will-O-Wisp or inflict serious damage on both species of Arceus. A very defensive Choice Band Groudon can also counter the Swords Dance Ghost Arceus, barring a critical hit from Shadow Claw. While not a counter in adherence to its strictest definition, a Kyogre with Choice Scarf can switch in after it has knocked something out, and then proceed to land a swift OHKO with Water Spout, assuming that it did not suffer from damage beforehand.

All counters to the Swords Dance Ghost Arceus except the Normal Arceus must caution against walking directly into a Calm Mind version, though. Speaking of the Calm Mind versions with an auxiliary attack, Blissey can use Toxic to wear them down if they have Recover; if they have Substitute, that means they lack any recovery whatsoever, which a Calm Minding Blissey can counter by breaking the Substitutes down slowly. If the Calm Mind sweeper is Ghost, then a Normal Arceus will be able to switch in on its relatively weak Ice Beams and use Toxic or Punishment, while a Bug-type sweeper is devastated by Heatran and Ho-oh, which sport excellent resistances to its attacks and do considerable chunks of damage with Fire-type attacks that are likely boosted by sunny weather.

Latias and Latios with Refresh can quickly decimate Fighting Arceus as well as Grass Arceus. Rest and Sleep Talk Giratina is in the same boat as Latias. With its base 120 Special Defense, Giratina does not fear much from either of those, barring a critical hit or freeze from Ice Beam. With Pressure on its side, Giratina can quickly dispose of Ice Beam's PPs, leaving Arceus with absolutely no weapons against Giratina. However, Giratina must be cautious walking into versions with Calm Mind, as they will turn the tables quite easily. Although it fears repeatedly switching into STABed Judgments, Blissey can come into either of Grass or Fighting Arceus, land its own Toxic, Softboiled and switch out before she takes too much from Toxic if Arceus inflicted it on Blissey upon switching in. Dialga and Lugia can handle the Grass variant fairly nicely; the former can Bulk Up and dispatch Arceus with a powered up Dragon Claw, whereas the latter can Toxic and Whirlwind away Grass Arceus out of the battlefield. Metagross finds itself not pressured to switch into Grass Arceus and 2HKO with Choice Band Ice Punch or Meteor Mash. Heracross does not fear any of its attacks, and swiftly disposes of Arceus with Megahorn. Heatran, with its 4x resistance to both Ice and Grass, can quickly demolish Arceus with powerful STABed Choice Specs Flamethrower.

The mono-attacking sets are a bit complicated to counter as it is difficult to inflict any type of lasting damage due to the combination of Substitute and Recover or Rest and Sleep Talk. The Bug-types are the easiest to counter; Giratina with Roar can remove any stat boosts as well as a possible Substitute, while Ho-oh and Heatran sport quadruple resistances to Bug and powerful Fire-type attacks to retaliate with. The Ice-type special sweeper is relatively easy to deal with, as well; the Fire-types still work, and Kyogre with Calm Mind rends it apart due to resistance to Ice and an amazing base 140 Special Defense. Metagross can switch in and use a Choice Banded Meteor Mash to easily dispose of Arceus. Lastly, the Dragon-type is countered by Metagross.

The Choice Band set is relatively simple to counter. Giratina can switch into any attack, even a Dragon Claw, and then one may work on switching in Pokémon that resist the chosen attack; to ease matters, Giratina's Pressure ability ruins ExtremeSpeed and Punishment. Lugia and its massive Defense, Reflect, Pressure and Roost does the same too. The Arceus that are designed to counter other Pokémon are usually beaten by a solid attacker that is not weak to one of their attacks. Any non-Poison or Steel-type must beware of Toxic, however.

Looks like it has counters :p

Dan The Poke Man

MEGAMEGAMEGA
Then why was my Arceus killed by Rhyperior in PBR?

Anyways, as most people here said, there is none. Make your own team, if you battle competitive or just want to use your favorites, it doesn't matters. Every team can be beaten.

Because it was a rip off. [/sarcasm] (But Arceus still isn't worth it)

Exactly. I agree with those people.

@Dawntiger, who cares what smogon says? We've got Serebii to tell us stuff like that. :p

BlueMew7

what up daddy in the house
But Serebii tells only so much about competitive battling. You can't solely rely on it. You can't even solely rely on Smogon. You have to have your own ideas too. Or maybe that's just me. (Ftw 3800 for standard ladder r0Xx0Rz!``11!!! 1337).

As for a perfect pokemon team, well it depends. Are we talking animewise?

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.
Six Pokemon that all have typing that allows them to be immune to everything and super effective against everything, every ability except Klutz and Stall rolled together but with their effects made 100%, every move, and they win battles before the battle is started.

MokKish

Breeding Enthustiast
Six Pokemon that all have typing that allows them to be immune to everything and super effective against everything, every ability except Klutz and Stall rolled together but with their effects made 100%, every move, and they win battles before the battle is started.

And yeah, that's about it. Seems very likely that it's ever going to happen, doesn't it?

elephantdog

ÜberlegenDeLeuteHier
Everyone above me is wrong. There are countless of perfect teams. It's all about what you like. First, put in your favorite Pokemon. Then, build around it with other Pokemon you like.

Like for me, I started with Lanturn and started adding other Pokemon I liked. It was hard to find a Fighting-type I liked because I find Fighting-type Pokemon hideous (Heracross and Breloom are OK but really pushing it). So...in the end I decided to get a Pokemon that is strong and can learn Fighting-type moves. That includes Pokemon with large movepools, like Togekiss and Blissey. I narrowed it down to Togekiss and Honchkrow. I personally like Togekiss better but I wanted a physical attacker. In the end, I'm happy with my team.

elephantdog

ÜberlegenDeLeuteHier
I dont think it's possible to make "The Perfect Team" in both competitive play and ingame.

You can't really go wrong in making an in-game team. You can use all weak but fully evolved Pokemon in the game and still make it through easily. In-game opponents are just too easy.