• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Perfect Proposal [PG-13] [Akechi/Fem!Akira] [Persona 5]

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Summary: He loved the Phantom Thieves. He really did. ... But sometimes they could be a bit too much...like right now.

Aka: Goro wants to propose to Akira and the other Phantom Thieves decide to "help" him.
FF.net version here.

Goro Akechi sighed. He loved the Phantom Thieves. He really did. They were his first friends in his entire life, though Akira would always be his first in many things, including his first friend. He would go through hell and back with them and he did, proving it against the worst of humanity all those years ago. But sometimes they could be a bit too much...like right now.

It all began when he finally got an engagement ring for her, a simple one with a small pyrope garnet—Akira's birthstone—as the gem.

He was about tuck it away in the cabinet within the room he shared with Akira when Morgana said,

"What are you doing?"

And Goro immediately shushed him.

"Hey! Don't shush me! Was that a ring I saw?" the feline said before smirking. "Is that what I think it is?"

Seeing that the cat was persistent, Goro decided it wasn't worth the trouble to insist otherwise, so he sighed and said,

"An engagement ring? Yes."

If it was possible, his smirk got worse. "I knew it! And here I was worried you would never propose to Akira."

The brunet detective rolled his eyes. "You know I wouldn't do that."

"I know. But I was beginning to worry."

Another eye roll before he properly hid his gift. "Well, no need to worry anymore, my friend."

"Then when are you going to do it?"

"Soon. Hopefully."

"What?! What do you mean 'hopefully'?! Of course you'll do it soon!"

Goro gave the former Phantom Thief a deadpan stare. "I'm not going to use a random moment to propose to her, Mona."

"You're not!" the black cat said with a huff. "You're going to make a moment! A romantic dinner is best for such, with candlelight and wine and music, preferably jazz or classical."

Goro just continued his stare as the romantic gentleman continued on his ramble, wondering if Yusule rubbed off of the feline, because he knew much of what he was saying were from movies. He should know, they watched them with Akira after all. But before he could say anything to Morgana, the subject of their conversation said,

"I'm home!"

And Goro managed to compose himself to answer in time. "Welcome back!" Much quieter, he said, "Come on, let's go."

"Hey!"

But as bursque as he had been towards Morgana's suggestion, he did see merit to it: create an opportunity instead of awaiting for it. So the next day, after Akira left for work and he was done with his, he went to the grocer to take up on it, with the cat in a bag in tow of course, at his insistent. It was then that marked the beginning of things that woukd spiral into an event he couldn't control.

He was at the deli section of the supermarket when a voice said,

"Hey, Akechi!"

And Goro turned to face the familiar athlete with a small smile.

"Hello Ryuji."

"Hey man," the man said, grinning in return. "What's up with you in the deli section?" His grin turned into a smirk. "Goin' back to bein' fancy?"

Before he could retort in good nature, his feline friend popped out and said, "Of course! He needs to be for when he proposes."

"For real?!"

Goro shushed him and Morgana, glad Ryuji had the decency to be sheepish about his volume even with wanting to stuff the cat back into the bag.

"Heheh, sorry man, but seriously? You gonna propose to Akira?"

Not trusting his words at that moment, Goro nodded.

Ryuji, in turn, gave a toothy grin. "Finally! I was startin' to worry you were gettin' cold feet or somethin'."

"For once, something we can agree on," Morgana said.

Goro stared at them, deadpan. "I'm glad to know you have such faith in me."

The former "thug" just laughed and slapped his shoulder. "Come on. You and Akira have been together the longest out of all of us. I was worried you were gettin' cold feet or something."

"And you know it's bad if even Ryuji is worried about it."

"What's that supposed to mean?!"

"Exactly what I said."

Goro sighed, exasperated but fond that the two still have their friendly rivalry and banter going on years later, but he didn't want any digressions that moment so he said,

"If that is all, then I'll be making my selection and return home."

That, thankfully, worked and Ryuji said, "Hey, let me help you pick some then! I know which ones are the best."

Considering his propensity for meats, Goro took up on his offer and it wasn't long before he got high-quality but reasonably priced meats before he returned home. But the next day, while sorting out papers for a report, Goro recieved a call from yet another friend and as soon as he answered it...

"Is it true?! Are you going to propose to Akira?!"

...he flinched and recoiled from his phone.

It was a good thing Akira had left for work because Morgana came into his office asking,

"What's wrong? Was that Ann?"

After making sure he wouldn't have permenant ear damage, he said "Yes" to the cat and then returned the phone to his ear.

"Before I answer that, who told you?"

"Ryuji," the blonde woman said with not a hint of shame. "So? Is it?"

Holding back a sigh, he said, "Yes."

And was once again forced to pull his phone away from his ear as she squealed.

Thankfully he didn't have to wait as long before they continued their conversation. "You have got to let me help. I have the perfect idea!"

He could guess. "Dessert?"

"Of course! Can't have a meal without them!"

"Well then are you willing to come by today? Because I was planning to begin this afternoon. I had told Akira I would handle dinner."

"What?!" she said, this time not as loud but still noticeable. "You can't do that!"

"And why not?"

"You can't just propose on any normal day!"

"Of course not. But that is the point of me making a special dinner. And I would hope the proposing itself would make it special."

"But Akira would get suspicious of you suddenly making a nice dinner on a random day!"

He opened his mouth to retort...only to realize the truth of her words and slumped against his arm chair, unable to hold back a sigh.

"Very well. When would you like to meet up to plan?"

"Are you free this Saturday?"

A quick glance at his calender on his deck before he said, "Yes."

"What about Akira?"

"She will be in quite a few meetings on that day."

"Then Saturday it is! I'll see you then!"

Of course, that wasn't the end of it as just the very next day, he got a text from none other than his adoptive sister.

Little Sister: Y U NO TEL ME?! (°ロ°) !

Normally he would be amused at Futaba resorting to crude text speech coupled with her typical emojis, but he knew exactly what she was talking about and all he could do was groan before he sent his reply.

Me: I don't tell you many things, Futaba-chan.

Me: You will have to be more specific.

Little Sister: You know what I'm talking about. (¬_¬)

Little Sister: Come on! You gotta let me help!ヽ(・∀・)ノ

Me: Who told you?

Little Sister: Ann.

Little Sister: And she told Yusuke too of course. ( ̄ω ̄)

Another groan. Of course. He was likely with Futaba the moment Ann came to tell her.

Little Sister: So?

Little Sister: Can I help? (゚∀゚人)

Me: If you're willing to come with Ann on Saturday, you may.

Me: But I don't see how you can help beyond assisting me and Ann.

Little Sister: Doesn't matter!

Little Sister: No way am I missing you proposing! (`^´)

Goro sighed, exasperated but touched. Of course that was why.

Me: Very well. You may help.

Little Sister: YAS! (╯✧▽✧)╯

Me: I will see you this Saturday then?

Little Sister: Yup!

Little Sister: Oh and Yusuke of course. ( ̄ω ̄)

Me: What could he do?

Me: Besides the obvious.

Little Sister: Eh, I'll think of something. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Little Sister: Or he will.

Little Sister: Btw I'm making a chat for making plans.

Goro raised an eyebrow.

Me: Isn't that what Saturday is for?

Little Sister: No way I'm gonna sit on my butt waiting for that! (`^´)

Little Sister: See ya! (*・ω・)ノ

Little Sister: I'll send you an invite later.

With that, Goro knew she was going to be busy, no doubt going to name the new chatroom after some pop culture reference, like "Prince's Bride" or something to that effect. And, unsurprisingly, as soon as she stopped, he was receiving a call from his artist friend. So he answered it, put the phone by his ear, and said...

"No."

Then hung up.

The last thing he wanted was to listen to listen to Yusuke ramble about possible arrangements and artwork he could do for him for two to three hours. Which was why initially groaned when his phone rung again not a minute later, at least until he saw it was Haru calling him. He frowned.

On one hand, he had his suspicions on why she was calling, much like with Ann before her, but there was an unspoken rule among the Phantom Thieves to never upset Haru intentionally, she was much too nice for that. She wouldn't ramble or tease him. So, with a resigned sigh, he accepted it and said,

"Hello, Haru."

"Hello Akechi-kun," she said. "I heard from Futaba-chan that you needed help for deciding a venue."

"I'm sorry, Haru, but...venue...?"

"For your wedding? Futaba-chan said you weren't sure where you wanted to have your wedding and thought I could help."

Why that little...!

Goro breathed through his nose as he pinched it.

Once he was calmed, he said, "I'm sorry Haru, but I haven't even proposed to Akira yet."

"Oh...? I...see... Does that mean you don't need my help...?" she said, Goro easily imagining her drooping like a sad puppy.

He flinched. There was a reason that unspoken rule existed. No one liked to see Haru upset. After a few quick scenarios in his head, he said,

"Do you have the shipment of the lastest coffee bean type you have acquired?"

"Yes." Then she gleaned the reason behind his question and said, "Oh! Do you want me to bring some for Akira then?"

"If it is not any trouble, of course."

And then, all of a sudden, her tone turned smug, Goro easily imagining her serene expression contrasting with it.

"I'm CEO. I can get rid of tasks and clear my schedule as easily as I take them and fill it." Then it was gone as she said, bright and bubbly, "I'll see you on Saturday!"

She disconnected then, Goro feeling he had been had if she already knew when they'd meet. As such, when he came in for work the day after that, Makoto said,

"You look terrible, Goro."

"Do I really?" he said, glad it was their break and it was just the two of them, as there was nothing stopping his deadpan expression.

The police commissioner shook her head and sighed. "They don't know when to quit, do they?" she said, fondness lacing her voice despite her words.

Goro scoffed but couldn't stop the same happening with his smile. "If we did, we would have stopped a long time ago."

A proper and nostalgic smile as she said, "Indeed." Though that was soon replaced with concern. "Would you like me to come tomorrow then? To mediate?"

Goro blinked. "You want to?"

That smile returned. "Hmph. I might as well. I'm sure your house would appreciate someone keeping them in check."

And he mirrored it. "I would appreciate it, Makoto."

"Then I shall see you tomorrow."

So it was to a cloudy Saturday morning did he and Morgana meet the invited guests, and one univited one he should have expected, at his and Akira's simple house. Everyone in the main Phantom Thieves greeted him and the feline as they passed them, Ryuji in particular patting his back, before he was met with the smug looking face of his adoptive father, Sojiro Sakura.

"Finally. I was wondering when you were gonna propose," he said.

Goro rolled his eyes as he closed the door behind them but wore a good-natured smirk. "I see you too have little faith in me."

"Of course, if it took you this long to even start planning."

Before they could end up bantering, Ann came up to him and said, "Can we see the ring?"

He was tempted to remind her they were here to help plan, but when Futaba said,

"Oh yeah! Can I see?"

He knew they would just pester him about it so he did as asked and showed it to them, in all its simple but elegant glory. Unsurprisingly, all the women cooed and awed at it, even Makoto, subdued as she tried to keep it. Even the men were impressed, both Ryuji and Sojiro whistling at it, with Yusuke saying various compliments that he had tuned out.

"That's a fine ring there, Goro," his father said.

"Yeah! Akira will love it!" Ann said.

Morgana, of course, puffed out his chest and smirked. "Of course Goro will get something suited for his beloved!"

With that done, he returned the silver ring in its and case and pocketed it.

"So? What are your suggestions?" he said, taking a seat in the lobby. "I already have a plan in mind."

"You mean making a meal for Akira right? When are you gonna do it?" the former athlete said first.

Ann said, "He could do it on White Day. It would be appropriate and it's not too far."

"Nah, too obvious," Futaba said. "Akira's gonna sense something's up. Gotta be more subtle..."

Yusuke was quick to point out the flaw in that. "But there is no special date in the coming weeks besides that, so he would have to wait longer if he wishes to propose on such a day."

"Well, White Day is the same day as International Marriage Day, so it would be fitting at least..." Makoto said, Goro unsurprised she knew such a thing considering it marked a day a notable law was passed.

"Oh! Then how about you do that then, Akechi-kun?"

He hummed, giving it a few moments of thought. "Very well, I don't see why not."

His sister gave a toothy grin as she said, "Great! Now we gotta decide where they'll go."

It was then their still lanky artist frowned and looked to the otaku. "Go? Why would he?" he said. "He is cooking their dinner, is he not? Where else would he serve it?"

"Duh! We can just rent a place! Then he can still make a dinner and serve it!"

"But their home is the perfect place for a proposal."

Morgana chimed in. "I agree! A romantic evening, just finishing desserts, then Goro goes on one-knee to give his proposal speech!"

What. "Proposal speech...?" Goro said.

He was about to say more but Yusuke said,

"Exactly!"

Followed quickly by his girlfriend. "Oh come on, Inari! He's gotta have a different scenery at least! So they another special place for 'em!"

Ann looked unsure. "Uh...but there aren't many places Akechi could serve his handmade dinner..."

"I can easily reserve any kind of place for them," Haru said. "So that won't be a problem."

Ryuji's face lit up with an idea. "Oh! Maybe Destinyland! That'd be awesome!"

Their gamer girl made a disgusted face. "What? No! That's too cheesy!"

Then their blue haired artist said, "I wouldn't be opposed to it."

"You just said that they should be doing it at home!"

"Well if it had to be somewhere else, I wouldn't object to it."

"Well I do!" Morgana said. "If it should be anywhere, it should be at a park!"

"Well I think it should be at a restaurant, in a private room of course."

"But how are we supposed to see him propose?!"

"Since when have we agreed to peek at them as they do it?"

And that was how it came to the present moment, the discussion soon devolving into an argument about many things, from where he would propose to what he would wear, from what he was going to say to what he was going to cook, among many things. He soon lost track as they quickly changed topics, with Makoto and Sojiro trying to defuse the situation. All Goro could do was stare at the former Thieves before messaging his temple.

He would say he never saw this coming, but that would be a lie.

What he did not expect was a very familiar voice saying,

"I'm home!"

Everyone whipped their heads to the source at the entrance. Morgana, on the other hand, said,

"Akira?! You're back?!"

The curly haired woman laughed and smiled as she put her coat and shoes away. "I know, I know, I'm early. But my secretary and COO insisted I go home and rest after a week of non-stop work," she said and everyone thought they wouldn't have to explain.

Except then she said, "So what's up guys? You planning a party or something?"

Everyone froze and Goro turned his head to see all of them looking to him, leaving the choice on how to explain to him. Which he was both annoyed and grateful for. He could easily go along with Akira's assumptions. It was just at worst a white lie and at best a twisting of the truth. After all, it would lead to a surprise.

But as he looked at his friends, stalwart and supportive, his family, forgiving and tenacious, and then, lastly, returning his gaze to the former leader of the Phantom Thieves, her eyes warm and bright despite being grey combining with her soft smile, he knew what to do.

He walked up to his beloved thief and said, "Akira?"

"Yes, Goro-kun?"

"There's something I want to ask you."

And before she could reply, he knelt on his left knee, took out his ring and said,

"Will you marry me?"

And he knew that proposing spontaneously, at their home with his family and their friends surrounding them just after they finished arguing each other, was the right choice as Akira hugged him with tears in her eyes and one of the brightest smiles he's seen yet as she said,

"Yes."

Happy birthday, Goro Akechi, our Pancake Detective Boy and crazy black masked Persona user. Have a fiancé for your birthday!