• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Pi-Kahuna (069)

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
It reminded me of the Surfing Pikachu from the Yellow Version games, with vast similarities.

So that's what Puka was based on. I figured that she was based on something from the games, though I never played Yellow, so I wasn't sure lol.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
What I'm wondering is if Puka was actually blind?

I don't think she was since we didn't get any real hints of that. In fact, we hardly knew much about her at all ha ha. We just knew that Victor found her and she could surf. Her blue eyes were weird and we didn't even see her use electric attacks either.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Tbh looking back, the fact that Ash was goofing off at the beach again in this episode instead of training for the Indigo League pissed me off slightly...

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Tbh looking back, the fact that Ash was goofing off at the beach again in this episode instead of training for the Indigo League pissed me off slightly...

Well in Ash's defense, he deserved a mini vacation here cuz his other attempts at training caused him alot of grief and he put in hard work, so he needed a way to just have fun and unwind. :]

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Well in Ash's defense, he deserved a mini vacation here cuz his other attempts at training caused him alot of grief and he put in hard work, so he needed a way to just have fun and unwind. :]

So his reward for doing almost nothing was for him to surf and mess around? Like, I liked the episode, but Ash's irresponsible self-gratification here seemed so ridiculous.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Looking back, the fact that the Big Tuesday tidal wave at Binnes even happened at all didn't make much sense. We didn't get an explanation for why the phenomenon happened every 20 years, and the perfect timing of the whole thing was extremely contrived and unrealistic even for a Kanto episode.

Puka's blue eyes remind me of Alolan Raichu and she might have had psychic powers too because she could sense waves. I liked Victor's backstory and how he planted his flag on the rock.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I wish that this episode had fleshed out Vincent's Pikachu since we didn't receive a detailed explanation on how it could surf to begin with, much less where it even originated from. The lack of a solid backstory has always grinded my gears.

Daizy

I call you honey
This is honestly one of my favorite episodes in the series- it's not about Pokemon battling at all but it doesn't have to be- it shows the bond between a surfer and his Pokemon, and his dream to accomplish his goal. Plus, almost nothing compares to the scene where Victor gets his flag atop the rock!

But Victor was such a minor Cotd so even if his bond with his Pikachu was shown, at the end of the day it kinda feels empty and pointless.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I quite liked the surfing Pikachu, although its blue eyes were rather creepy. Victor saving Ash was my favourite scene, though.
7/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
I now find it funny in a sad way how careless Satoshi and his friends were since they kind of abandoned Vincent at sea towards the end of the episode and he had to save himself.

This episode was really mysterious since we never found out where Puka came from or what happened to Jan after he left the area. I did like the ending where Victor planted his own flag on the rock but the rest of the episode was pretty tame by comparison like it was all leading up to that moment. I liked the beach scenes at the beginning too where Ash and his friends were enjoying themselves.

I was confused about the tidal wave that came every 20 years since it was never really explained how it was even made and why it would only arrive at that beach. I liked Victor and Puka because they were almost like an older version of Ash and his Pikachu and I thought that surfing as a plot device was interesting and something new for the show. My favorite scene was when Puka sensed the incoming tidal wave and the flag planting scene. 8/10

CabochonJaw

This episode taught us that with the help of pikachu, dreams can come true. Not right away though... it might take awhile. Victor should have told those kids he talked with to get themselves a pikachu. They're way more useful than surfboards.

Leonhart

Imagineer
CabochonJaw said:
This episode taught us that with the help of pikachu, dreams can come true. Not right away though... it might take awhile. Victor should have told those kids he talked with to get themselves a pikachu. They're way more useful than surfboards.

I do think it's somewhat ironic that surfing itself was made out to be what allowed the COTD to achieve his goal, yet in truth it was his special Pikachu that allowed him to even sense the tidal wave approaching, yet said Pikachu hardly received credit for that.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
Brock and Misty’s outfits are so 90’s in this episode lol

Anyway, I decided to rewatch it because I couldn’t remember it and upon rewatch, I realize why it wasn’t very memorable. I liked Victor as a cotd but his backstory was a little boring and the whole episode felt slow. I did like Pooka though.

Leonhart

Imagineer
PorcelainVulpix said:
Brock and Misty’s outfits are so 90’s in this episode lol

Anyway, I decided to rewatch it because I couldn’t remember it and upon rewatch, I realize why it wasn’t very memorable. I liked Victor as a cotd but his backstory was a little boring and the whole episode felt slow. I did like Pooka though.

I think one thing that made the COTD so bland this time around is that his goal didn't involve Pokemon, at least not directly. Surfing isn't something that required Pokemon here and he only used his Pikachu because it liked to surf, but his main goal didn't necessitate a Pokemon to be involved.