• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Playstation Thread

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Nintendo has nothing much except platformers out on the Wii U right now 1st partywise.

Go back and read my previous post. This is clearly not the case.

Their racing is nonexistent unless you count Mario Kart for some reason.

Yeah, that's the problem. You can't really rely on franchises like Mario Kart and Smash Bros. to represent a particular genre because you only get one of them per console. Racing also had F-Zero, but there hasn't been a game for that franchise in years, so I didn't really count it. But if they can bring back F-Zero, great.

I think there's a little bit too much stock being put into the differences between Nintendo and Sony lineups. They're both different but cater to a different demographic. And no, this does not mean casual vs. hardcore necessarily. This means Nintendo caters to those who play their tried and true series while Sony thrives on a variety beyond just their first party games. This should be apparent this generation of consoles upcoming with the vastly differing levels of power between the Wii U and seemingly the PS4/360. They're just appealing to different demographics.

Zazie

So 1991
IMO Nintendo's 1st party variety died off after SNES as N64 got less and the GC even less Nintendo first party games. The Wii literally only has 1 Pokemon game, 1 1/2 Zelda (TP is on GC), a couple of Mario games, Kirby, a few remakes such as Pikmin, 2 Metroid games and thats it.

Nintendo has published Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Sin and Punishment, Battalion Wars 2, Donkey Kong, Xenoblade, Endless Ocean 1/2, Wario Land Shake it!, Excitetuck/bots, Warioware, and Punch Out. (this is in NA, so it does count games published by a 3rd party only in NA like Last Story or Pandora's Tower or games that were never released here, like Captain Rainbow or Disaster Day of Crisis )

If you had said 3rd party games you would have had a good point.

And also Yakuza is a 3rd party exclusive, it is published by Sega.

Last edited:

Crystal Power

Worried that you may have to pay more than $599 for the Playstation 4, well you shouldn't. Most likely like the price will be below that number according to Jack Tretton. But there isn't any final decisions yet.

All Things D: Will the new console cost $599 to start?

Jack Tretton: I certainly hope not. I think we’re very proud of what we delivered with the PlayStation 3 in terms of technology, and that we were able to enhance the features while still reducing the price to $249. But I think our goal with this is to debut at a more consumer-friendly price. But we haven’t made any final decisions about what the price will be at launch.

Source: http://allthingsd.com/20130221/seven...ation-4-event/

KrayzieBuddha

英雄豪傑
So do we know if this is going to be backwards compatible with PS3/PS2 games?

I assume it'll be PS1 compatible since even the PS3 is, and it'll likely have PS2/PS3 games available similar to PS2 games on PS3 right now, but what about the actual discs?

I read it somewhere (I think gamespot) saying PS4 will not have backwards compatibility. If anything, its going to be a digital download. That's just great... I know where the hell this is headed.

Last edited:

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
Nintendo has published Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Sin and Punishment, Battalion Wars 2, Donkey Kong, Xenoblade, Endless Ocean 1/2, Wario Land Shake it!, Excitetuck/bots, Warioware, and Punch Out. (this is in NA, so it does count games published by a 3rd party only in NA like Last Story or Pandora's Tower or games that were never released here, like Captain Rainbow or Disaster Day of Crisis )

If you had said 3rd party games you would have had a good point.

And also Yakuza is a 3rd party exclusive, it is published by Sega.

More than half the games you listed have slipped my mind honestly with all the crappy 3rd party games the Wii received. Like the major Wii titles that weren't Mario or Zelda was swept under the rug in my brain.

Fire Emblem? Was that Path to Radiance?

DK? That wasn't much of a game to me thanks to the bongo drums.

Xenoblade is something I'm interested in for the future.

Animal Crossing, which one was that?

Excitetrucks was one of those launch games that went under the radar when TP came out on Wii.

Wario, mini-games galore.

Endless Ocean, no idea.

Punch-Out, by the time this came out I gave up on the Wii and bought a PS3.

Isn't Battalion Wars 2 a DS game?

I do think my point still stands.

Nintendo's variety has been hurt since the SNES days. A good number of the games you listed are sequels or new games in an old franchise not to say the other companies haven't done that either.

But its much more apparent when Mario title after Mario title comes out in the span of 7 years. Pikmin was the last new IP I remember from Miyamoto, what happened since then? Seems like only the handhelds are getting the loving from big N with new IP or refreshing franchises like Fire Emblem.

Supposedly, Sony has a thing called "Playstation World" basically a PS plus plus, where the players can use the full functions of the PlayStation 4, but there is a catch you'll have to pay $80-$90 a year. Hopefully, Sony smart enough to stay free online play.Only turn I see is the use and functions of social media, oh my gosh.

woot21

super noob
More than half the games you listed have slipped my mind honestly with all the crappy 3rd party games the Wii received. Like the major Wii titles that weren't Mario or Zelda was swept under the rug in my brain.

Fire Emblem? Was that Path to Radiance?

DK? That wasn't much of a game to me thanks to the bongo drums.

Xenoblade is something I'm interested in for the future.

Animal Crossing, which one was that?

Excitetrucks was one of those launch games that went under the radar when TP came out on Wii.

Wario, mini-games galore.

Endless Ocean, no idea.

Punch-Out, by the time this came out I gave up on the Wii and bought a PS3.

Isn't Battalion Wars 2 a DS game?

I do think my point still stands.

Nintendo's variety has been hurt since the SNES days. A good number of the games you listed are sequels or new games in an old franchise not to say the other companies haven't done that either.

But its much more apparent when Mario title after Mario title comes out in the span of 7 years. Pikmin was the last new IP I remember from Miyamoto, what happened since then? Seems like only the handhelds are getting the loving from big N with new IP or refreshing franchises like Fire Emblem.
Did you ever own a Wii? The DK game was DKCR, a 2-D side scrolling platformer, there were no bongos, unless you meant the enemies. The Wario game was a Wario Land game, not WarioWare. There were two Excite(insertthinghere) titles, one was a launch title, and the second one come out around the same time as Punch-Out!. Actually looking over your post again, I think you just didn't read the post you quoted.

woot21 out dawgs

Zazie

So 1991

You may actually want to do a list check before you start comparing the first party output on various consoles. But anyway, Sony actually has been pretty good about the whole publishing new IP's thing. They seem to consistently develop new IP's for each new console they introduce. For example Crash/Spyro/Ape Escape on PS1, Jak/R&C/Ape Escape and Sly Cooper on PS2, and R&C, Sly Cooper and LBP on PS3 in regards to platformers.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Lot of confusing posts here. I'm not sure what we're arguing about. Anyway, on the top the topic of IP games and Nintendo. All they have to release Xenoblade HD on WiiU and sit back and watch the money roll in.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
You mean Donkey Kong Country Returns 2, right?

Actually, I don't think that made that much money. Also, no David Wise or Eveline Fischer? Granted, I know David was still working for Rare -- bastardized though they were -- unti at least some point in DKCR's development cycle.

I read it somewhere (I think gamespot) saying PS4 will not have backwards compatibility. If anything, its going to be a digital download. That's just great... I know where the hell this is headed.

The backwards compatability is basically this: You won't be able to play PS1 - 3 discs on the system, but if you own a PS1 - 3 game on PSN you'll be able to play it. PS4 will run all their "downloads" off the cloud system they're pushing, so you'll be able to stream those games rather than download them. So it's a bit of a misnomer. No, you won't be able to play the games on the system via download, yes you will be able to play the games in some capacity, namely streaming them.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
But you would still need to re-buy games you already own in order to play them on the new system.

Given how the PS3 was backward compatible for a fair length of time... this makes no goddamned sense to me.

[ACE] Zero

Just Sayin..
The backwards compatability is basically this: You won't be able to play PS1 - 3 discs on the system, but if you own a PS1 - 3 game on PSN you'll be able to play it. PS4 will run all their "downloads" off the cloud system they're pushing, so you'll be able to stream those games rather than download them. So it's a bit of a misnomer. No, you won't be able to play the games on the system via download, yes you will be able to play the games in some capacity, namely streaming them.
I wouldnt be able to play my current Ps3 library because majority is on discs, which the Ps4 cant play, why the hell do I want to spend $450 and then re-buy my games??

Hey, I'm just the messenger, don't shoot me. It bodes well for PS+ users and such, and those who prefer digital downloads...But then again, Sony's always been about pushing that.

[ACE] Zero

Just Sayin..
Hey, I'm just the messenger, don't shoot me. It bodes well for PS+ users and such, and those who prefer digital downloads...But then again, Sony's always been about pushing that.

I have PS+ but it still does not benefit at all to get this new system. Bad Move Sony

I mean, Sony alienates PSP "disc" users with the Vita and now alienates PS3 disc users with the PS4. It's not like it's just a blemish on the face of goodness, they've always been known for tricks like this. Coming from someone who is neither a fan nor a hater of Sony.

woot21

super noob

Night_Walker

Sony has a decent amount, actually, and they're pretty much the only one of the three that has pretty much all of their bases covered. Nintendo does okay as far as variety is concerned, but they could use a few more games. Microsoft is really the only one of the three that's severely lacking in variety, as they only really have a handful of exclusives that they actively promote (Halo, Gears of War, Fable, and Forza), aside from those you pretty much have to rely on 3rd parties if you like a certain genre. For instance, my favorite genre is platforming, but you don't really see any platforming games out of Microsoft. There's a couple of them out there, sure, but none that they actively promote. Meanwhile, I have several options for platformers from the other two, Nintendo has Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Kirby, and Sony has Little Big Planet and Sly Cooper (and probably more, but I can't really think of any others off the top of my head). Sony spends some time talking about other features for their console, sure, but so has Nintendo (especially recently, they've been pushing the Gamepad and Miiverse). The difference is that Nintendo and Sony also have plenty of exclusive 1st party titles to back up their consoles, Microsoft, not so much.
Bolt, I'm going off your claim that the multi-media aspect of the 360 makes it a multi-media device rather than a true gaming system - if you hold to that reasoning then I'm sorry but the PS3 (and now PS4) must fit into the same category because it's the same in those areas regardless of if it has a couple more exclusives than the 360. That leaves only Nintendo making a dedicated gaming console and even that is fading because people want more from their devices these days. This new focus is just part of the 'smart tech' push we've go going these days, consoles aren't immune and can't be really.

Sorry but it doesn't matter how many exclusives Microsoft has compared to Sony or Nintendo, or how well they cover the whole spectrum of gaming genres, they still put as much work into them and push them as much as the other companies do. Also really speaking these days, rightly or wrongly, exclusives are intended to be 'killer apps' that convince people to pick one console over the other - the majority of games a person will buy are 3rd party multi-platform offerings.