• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Pledge We Made That Day! The Ho-Oh Legend of the Johto Region!! (1098)

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
This episode was really great! My favorite so far of this series! The old man's story made me cry and it was great to see continuity. And of course HO-OH appearing was amazing!

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Ho-Oh: "You want me to appear Ash? I haven't forget you discart me for that dumb Tapu-Stalker just cause he gave you that stupid Bandai toy leftovers and that poor man's jewerly!"

Later...

Ho-Oh: "Now that Ash's gone, I'll show up for only that dying old man and his dying Hoot-hoot out of spite. Are you seeing this, Ash? THIS IS MY VENGENCE!"

=====================

Passable episode. The early episodes from last year were solid but lately the series feels losing a bit of steam with me. And fairly fast. Not enough to turn it into unwatchable but... I dunno, it's hard to really feel invested to it. The Animedia interview kind of gave away the episodic nature but I feel like production are looking at things from a wrong perspective. Yeah, kids nowdays have smaller attention spams and overly serialized storytelling might not really click but... Not doing anything at all or being overly episodic is not the solution. Pokémon - even on its worse shape - kind of has a structure that demands progression of some kind. Not on how many critical,one shot captures one can do but regarding on characters doing a little bit more. It's ok not bringing Ash's reserves if the problem is such small hint of some form of continuity will make kids be super confused and quit the show but at least make it feel like the characters are doing something for the goals other than just being overly passive like waiting for the plot just show up to them. SM had a lot of problems with Ash stuck on boring Melemele Island, but at least the whole school thing kind of gave you a feel that despite anything Ash was trying something to achieve his goal and not just slacking on a lab.

I really wonder why they aren't incorporating an aspect from Go that would just address this issue which is field research. Have Sakuragi send Ash and Go to somewhere for a time, set some tasks for them and from time-to-time, we get some episodes of them on the lab/Vermillion city resting from the trip and preparing themselves for the next.

I'm starting to feel like the show is on some form of crossroads. It needs to reinvent itself without diverging from its own identity AND attending corporate demands. The current setup seems an intermediary phase where they hope to figure everything out along the way.

The set up is not bad but it sure needs some form of compromise. Doesn't have to be Galar gyms - and please, anything but that - but I dunno, things such as Don George's tournaments can help a bit.

I don't mind Go's goal. It could be interesting but... It's just not being handled well.

Main character now has a Misdreavus so I win.

I'm happy for you.

No joke or irony intended. Nor it's a part of a joke.

At least, you got the capture you wanted.

As for me, I'm still devastated Ash didn't get Chespin. I'll always be bitter because of that :(

Soniman

Break the Limit
Maybe a 10-second battle once in a while? The ball failing to catch the first time and Go having to retry? Some kind of obstacle (no matter how small) that will make these scenes more interesting to watch and not just a pointless waste of time?

I'm asking for the bare minimum, and I'm not even getting that.

It's not like Gou has a Partner Pokemon he's not using that could possibly battle a Sentret.

Man this is probably the most rough first ten episodes to a saga we've ever gotten. Dull episode after dull episode. It's gonna be miserable if it's just this three years later and Ash still only has Pikachu. God

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Back in Sun and Moon I remember wishing the companions would catch more Pokemon.

I must have missed when the finger on the monkey's paw curled.
I feel the same way about having wished traveling would return. This series is basically Pokémon: Mankey’s Paw.

Animac

Yep, i was very optimistic with SM because i saw early on what they were trying to do. But i'm having a difficult time trying to defend this series. I'm not hating it, i can enjoy the episodes, but I totally see how this is very boring for a lot of people. And Go's ability to insta catch everything was not the best decision

k6666

Pikachu Fan
Boring episode really, after SM fun filler we back with this basic help cotd / potd style again
Who need an entire episode focus on someone granpa who will never appeared again? Pls stop this, but next episode will be same, and it's irritating to see ash like he never visit eutrack city before like you visit this city multiple times during OS

Go catch Pokemon to easy that make me don't take his goal seriously tbh, as long he didn't focus on his pokemon, i consider every episode of this style filler because nothing exciting happen

This series has potential to be greatest but because the style is episodic they back to old formula style again, which make it worse
If this continues to 20 episode i think will skip all the filler like episode and only watching when the plot move
1/10 such a boring and wasted potential episode

Leonhart

Imagineer
The episode was fine. It covered everything that the preview implied it would, and I absolutely loved Hinoarashi and Hoho. The fake Houou subplot wasn't as interesting despite the callbacks to Satoshi seeing Houou in the first episode, though. I just find everything related to Houou to sort of be a waste of time since we never get any form of resolution about the species.

CupidKirby

We got a reanimated flashback to OS001 with Ash meeting Ho-Oh yet people are still complaining about continuity.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

This episode was fine if a little boring. The animation seemed a lot better for this episode for some reason. I did like the grandpa character but agree that there needs to be more variety in how Gou catches Pokemon. The episodic formula isn't the best but I can live with it as long as this series doesn't ride too long on it.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Not gonna lie, whenever Go's Rotom Phone says "Nice" or "Great", I find it to be really cringe and not needed. That's my criticism regarding Go's captures, even if they're too easy/boring.

That aside, I liked the continuity nod to episode 1, as well as Jiei shooting Ash down regarding his Ho-Oh sighting
Ash: "Ho-Oh does exist, I met it in episode 1."
Jiei: "Sure you did son."
Me: "So by your logic old man, Brock, May, Max, Brandon and Scott were also seeing things when they saw Ho-Oh in AG."
(Also me: "I wasn't expecting to mention Brandon/Battle Pyramid two episodes in a row.")

Ho-Oh with the troll strat though. "That Pikachu kid has seen me too many times, I'm going to wait till he sods off to appear before the bloke who is worthy of my presence."

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
We got a reanimated flashback to OS001 with Ash meeting Ho-Oh yet people are still complaining about continuity.
It's the most expendable kind of continuity, though. And ironically, Ash forgot what the Bell Tower even is for and even implied this was his first time in its city!

Hell, I still remember the Espeon girl (Sakura) who got two focus episodes!

Arroz Nero

Poke-noob
I also think they should spice up how Go makes some captures, the writers don't have to make every catch difficult but also they don't have to make everything so easy. These two pokemon were messing with us, oh well throw a pokeball BOOM, catch them in one go and problem solved, with those two It would make sense they put up a fight, specially that Misdreavus, but they didn't, and It felt...weird, that was a weird capture... I don't know why, so uncomfortable...

Anyway, about the Rotom voice actress, how does she act so bad and still gets the money and role? Is it because she looks kind of Gaijin? She won a prize? Its her last wish before dying and they gave her the role? Was it connections? Or do they said to her to do it bad on purpose? I'm really curious...

Leonhart

Imagineer
Arroz Nero said:
I also think they should spice up how Go makes some captures, the writers don't have to make every catch difficult but also they don't have to make everything so easy. These two pokemon were messing with us, oh well throw a pokeball BOOM, catch them in one go and problem solved, with those two It would make sense they put up a fight, specially that Misdreavus, but they didn't, and It felt...weird, that was a weird capture... I don't know why, so uncomfortable...

I assumed that Gou's captures have been easy so far because many of the Pokemon that he's captured are common Pokemon that aren't particularly difficult to catch. Maybe in the future Gou will have more trouble if he goes after a Pokemon that's much bigger and tougher than the ones he's caught so far, but I personally thought that his captures of the Jouto Pokemon here were fine.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Well, that was a dreadful episode where once again nothing happens

What the heck was with the circus music when they entered the Bell Tower?

Who knew all it took to see Ho-oh is a dusty old feather and shouting from a tall place.

...God, I really wish Ho-oh played a slightly bigger role, or SOMETHING.
Remember when the legend of Ho-Oh actually had depth and wasn't just "Go Here And Wave A Feather To See Ho-Oh"?

And I wouldn't call a callback to the first episode as continuity since it's basically set in stone

Continuity would be Ash remembering the Johto region

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Ho-Oh with the troll strat though. "That Pikachu kid has seen me too many times, I'm going to wait till he sods off to appear before the bloke who is worthy of my presence."

Nah, I prefer the idea that Ho-Oh is bitter that Ash seemed to sideline him for Tapu Koko and ended up getting Poipole/Naganadel as his first legendary. Big Fire Flying Chicken is just jealous his chosen one is ignoring it.

pancakemonster

Alola...home...
I went into this episode knowing Go's catches would be completely hassle-free, and even then was speechless when, after creating all those illusions and being clearly antagonistic to the whole crew, Stantler and Misdreavous just stand there as Go throws two pokeballs at once and catches them, as the Pokedex strokes his ego.

Like ok, the Pokemon don't need to be weakened...won't break out of the ball...love him unconditionally after being caught...but couldn't they at least, I don't know...move when they see the pokeballs coming?

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
So now we know that Go can just catch whatever pokémon is threatening them, which completely robs the series of any tension going forward

"Oh no, all these pokémon are rampaging!"
*Go effortlessly nabs all of them*
"GREAT!" "NICE!" "EXCELLENT!"
"So what do we do with the other twenty minutes of the episode?"
"Uhhh...have Scorbunny kick Ash?"
"BRILLIANT."

And since this series doesn't have an end goal, they can keep doing this for as long as they need to...

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Honestly though there was nothing in the dialogue to indicate ash hadnt been here before, he just didn't mention it, just like he didn't immediately mention he has seen Ho-Oh till the old man said it doesn't exist. He wasn't *surprised* by the bell tower. I get it people are tired of continuity not being referenced but it shouldn't be referenced every damn time. People wanted Morty in this episode, how? The plot literally didn't require him. I mean c'mon now.