• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Pokédex Completion Thread

The Pokédex Completion Thread

Basically, this is a thread in which to share and record details about catching 'em all. This isn't a dedicated trade thread or anything, but rather somewhere to share your progress and experiences with filling in the 'Dex, as well as asking questions and helping others with things, like sharing tips and tricks.

Topics can include, but aren't limited to, completing Regional Dexes in games past and present, managing to conquer the National Dex, or even managing to net yourself a LiveDex!

So I guess I'll start by sharing a bit of my experience. Never completed any Pokedexes at all, at least in the sense of capturing them all. Always relied on sightings and the like. I just never felt encouraged to gather up all the Pokemon from online trading and local trading, y'know? But in Gen VI, I realised how accessible Pokemon were in that gen, and now, I've got a nearly complete LiveDex, thanks to the GTS and XYORAS's huge Pokemon selections, only missing the Sinnoh & Unova Mythicals (sans Darkrai & Phione) and Volcanion, for obvious reasons. And since they're all upcoming events, my LiveDex will be complete most likely for December. To be honest, I kinda feel stupidly proud of it because I've done what I've always wanted to do with these games, and I'm really excited for Sun & Moon to introduce more Pokemon to collect!

Pokedexes Completed:

The Kalos Dexes (Pokemon X)
The Hoenn Dex (Pokemon Alpha Sapphire)
The National Dex* (Generation VI)

*excluding certain Pokemon the game doesn't consider necessary due to event status

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I have managed to complete fully my Pokemon X and Alpha Sapphire dexes, events included. And I'm extremely close to completing my Platinum dex

SmartD

I managed to complete the Pokedex on Diamond, Platinum, Heartgold, and Black. I'm still waiting for Keldeo, Genesect, and Volcanion for my X and Alpha Sapphire games because I've lost Keldo and Genesect when my previous Black 2 game got chewed up by the dog and Volcanion is the only Pokemon that hasn't been released yet. It's a good thing Keldeo and Genesect events are coming out later this year.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Has anyone ever managed to legitimately get all 386 Pokemon in the Gen III games?

TheEmeraldKnight

Lookin' for Shinies
I have been able to compete my pokedex since Platinum. I was 4 pokemon short in Emerald :/
I also keep one of every species in my Pokemon Bank. I've been doing that since Platinum and that is why I have been able to complete all of my dexs so easily

Last edited:

Boulderash

Remorseless Wanderer
I've already complete the dex, minus events, in gen 6. Currently working on a living dex. I've started by going through my bank and gen 6 games an putting things in designated boxes going gen by gen. Just picked through the gen 4 pokes and will start 5 before long.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Has anyone ever managed to legitimately get all 386 Pokemon in the Gen III games?

I did it in Sapphire. Took over 2 years but it was worth it. Ever since then I've made a habit of completing the Pokedex in every generation - I have a full National Dex in Diamond, Black, and X (well, excluding Volcanion of course). I never have managed to complete a living dex though.

Out of curiousity, do forms matter to anyone? I've got all the forms that show up different in box (so including drastic gender differences and seasonal forms, Vivillon patterns, Florges colours) in my LiveDex except those that'd be unrealistic to obtain (like all Arceus forms, all Genesect Drives) or those where it's impossible to bank them and/or you can't have more than one at once (BW Kyurem, Cosplay Pikachu).

Vroomer

I completed the National Dex in OR several months ago.

Reset Y and went for a better Yveltal. Got one and shifted gears to focus on a Living Dex in my Bank. Completed my Living Dex, minus Event Pokes, 2 weeks ago. Just need to shift them through AS and X to get Shiny and Oval charms on those games.

Think I'll go for my "Living Wonder non-English foreign only Dex" next.. Ha!

Laurelai

I completed my first dex in Platinum, and have carried over the complete dex in each game. I missed the Genesect event when it was live, but had an extra Darkrai and traded for it. As for forms, I'm a bit spotty on those. In my living dex (which is arranged in numerical order, all evolutions present yeesh!) I do have all the vivillon forms, but not all the forms of Deerling or Sawsbuck. I once had it in my head to collect all the Unown forms, but haven't done so. Now I'm just waiting for Volcanion......

Boulderash

Remorseless Wanderer
Just about done with my Living dex. Only need two non event mons for it. Groudon and Articuno. The first I'll get from OR and the second from the birds event.

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
Thanks to GTS I have completed the entire pokedex since Gen IV with the exception of some event only mons in gen V like genesect and meloetta.

Once pokebank came out I realized how important it was to get a living dex for all my games and I started importing all my mons from white and earlier from platinum. My dexes from those games were already complete so it went pretty quickly, however I had a lot of breeding and evolving to do in order to make a living dex. I never heard anyone call it a living dex before when I was doing it at the time it just seemed like it made sense to do it that way with pokebank.

I forgot about Volcanion and so I did a bunch of wondertrading when the event came out hoping to get lucky. I got lucky twice, but unfortunately they were hacks, so I still need a legit Volcanion for my living dex, however the hacks technically did complete my living dex 721/721 on Alpha Sapphire.

I have a trade partner who currently has a legit Volcanion and I am determined to soft reset for a shiny Zekrom so that I can trade him for the legit Volcanion.

Aetius

Hmm, I believe that I've compleated the dèx for the first time in XY and ORAS.
It was manly thanks to the GTS and some kind friends here on Serebii.
It was really rewarding in the end! :D

TakenGrace

Champion Sami
I completed my Pokedex in Omega Ruby Alpha Sapphire which is the first time I've completed my Pokedex since generation 3. The fact that all the Pokemon where accessible like you say. It made it a lot more fun to find all of them. Especially the legendaries it added an extra challenge in the game

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I complete the national pokedex for Alpha Sapphire, Y and White 2. I complete it for the shiny charm which is worth more than a diploma in my opinion.

Nyter

Island Challenger
I have not yet completed any pokedexes BUT I am waiting for Manaphy to be released as that is the only previously released event pokemon I am missing from my roster... then I would have to transfer all my Pokemon to my X and Y and AlphaSapphire and OmegaRuby versions for me to complete those Pokedexes.

I am however wondering If I should get the Red/Blue/Yellow re released versions for Sun and Moon? I own the originals can still play them

Ace Trainer Alex

wants to fight!
In my Alpha Sapphire, I have completed both the National Dex and a Living Dex. Though I question the legitimacy of some of the event legends (as I got them from an old friend I had back in first semester), so the whole events through the year thing puts some peace into my mind.

Nyter

Island Challenger
In my Alpha Sapphire, I have completed both the National Dex and a Living Dex. Though I question the legitimacy of some of the event legends (as I got them from an old friend I had back in first semester), so the whole events through the year thing puts some peace into my mind.

You have no idea how patient I am for this 20th anniversary Manaphy event to come up. THAT is the only Pokémon I need to complete my dex in X,Y,AlphaSapphire, and OmegaRuby. I have waited since 2008 for this.

Hokker

I completed the dex in X Y and was 2 shy in BW. I now am working on doing the whole dex (every legendary, every evolution and form) in both of my pokemon banks. I just transfer all the boxes down to my game and *POOF* as soon as I beat the elite 4 I have the shiny charm. My daughter and I have been working on doing the same thing in BW so we can get the shiny charm easier.