• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Pokédex Completion Thread

BlackRayquaza98

Gen 3 Enthusiast
I have an almost-Living Dex except Mew, Shaymin & Diancie on Bank right now ready to transfer over to Sun, which I am quite proud of since the majority are Pokémon which I have collected by myself, a lot of which were transferred all the way over from Gen III upwards. On Sun I have got all of the new ones except for a Cosmog, Lunala and Type: Null, but I will be picking up Moon soon so I can get the last 3.

Right now I am working on getting a Living Dex on my Sapphire GBA cart, which is actually impossible since I have no way of getting the 4 mythicals without cheating or finding an old cart on eBay which has them on, which is extremely unlikely as you would imagine. It is going to be an incredible task though, as for example, in order for me to get Entei, Raikou and Suicune I need to beat FireRed or LeafGreen 3 times. Oh, and to get the Johto starters I've gotta beat Emerald 3 times, AND complete the Hoenn Dex each time. It is going to take me a while to say the least.

Hyokaze

Right now I am working on getting a Living Dex on my Sapphire GBA cart, which is actually impossible since I have no way of getting the 4 mythicals without cheating or finding an old cart on eBay which has them on, which is extremely unlikely as you would imagine. It is going to be an incredible task though, as for example, in order for me to get Entei, Raikou and Suicune I need to beat FireRed or LeafGreen 3 times. Oh, and to get the Johto starters I've gotta beat Emerald 3 times, AND complete the Hoenn Dex each time. It is going to take me a while to say the least.

Besides the Pomeg glitch where you can get any Pokemon (Internal cheating for the Mythical), there may be eReader cards for the other official events (I could only find the Eon ticket). Also if you have a Gamecube/Wii you could get the three beasts and Johto Starters with Colosseum. There's also the Bonus Disk, and EU Pokemon Channel for Celebi and Jirachi. But in all honesty a GS is pretty much the cheapest route.

Typically I'm against cheating, but in cases like these where content is literally unobtainable now and likely forevermore, it's easy for me to say just go for it given the options.

Update: Completed the Living Dex and Shiny Living Dex again.
Right now there is 63 of the new Pokemon that can be shiny and after a little over a month of trading on the GTS. I finished it yesterday, looking forward to when the rest of the Shiny Legends/UB's/Mythical's become available.

Last edited:

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
As it stands, I have a completed living dex and have it stored on bank (credit for XY and ORAS along with the certificates). I also completed the Alola dex but I still need to finish the living version of it. Feels good to have the living dex completed though, it was a challenge that took a while to say the least.

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
The Alola Dex is the only regional Dex that I've completed and I have a living dex of all the Gen VII Pokémon. Completing that motivated me to fill out the rest of the Pokédex too, so I'm gathering whatever I can while I'm replaying Alpha Sapphire. I'll probably come back to X too and do the same.

Nockturne

How are people handling Alolan variants when it comes to a living dex?

I figure I should probably factor them in since they are basically new Pokemon in all but name, but since the living dex is in order of the National Dex, I can't decide if I should mix them in with my Kanto Pokemon in the box or have them in with the Alolan lot according to where they fall in the Alola dex. So Alolan Rattata/Alolan Raticate would be after Gumshoos, followed by Alolan Raichu then Grubbin. And if I did put them along side their Kanto counterparts, should the order be for example "Sandshrew, Sandslash, Alolan Sandshrew, Alolan Sandslash" or would it be "Sandshrew, Alolan Sandshrew, Sandslash, Alolan Sandslash"

I guess it doesn't really matter but I'm just interested how you guys were thinking of doing it when Bank updates.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
How are people handling Alolan variants when it comes to a living dex?

I figure I should probably factor them in since they are basically new Pokemon in all but name, but since the living dex is in order of the National Dex, I can't decide if I should mix them in with my Kanto Pokemon in the box or have them in with the Alolan lot according to where they fall in the Alola dex. So Alolan Rattata/Alolan Raticate would be after Gumshoos, followed by Alolan Raichu then Grubbin. And if I did put them along side their Kanto counterparts, should the order be for example "Sandshrew, Sandslash, Alolan Sandshrew, Alolan Sandslash" or would it be "Sandshrew, Alolan Sandshrew, Sandslash, Alolan Sandslash"

I guess it doesn't really matter but I'm just interested how you guys were thinking of doing it when Bank updates.

I set up a separate box just for Alolan forms at the end of my living dex. I don't want them to throw off the order of the national dex since I name my boxes 001-030, 031-060, etc. I already had a box set up for alternate forms for the same purpose. Alolan forms just come after that.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
I set up a separate box just for Alolan forms at the end of my living dex. I don't want them to throw off the order of the national dex since I name my boxes 001-030, 031-060, etc. I already had a box set up for alternate forms for the same purpose. Alolan forms just come after that.

This is what I'm doing as well. Same with the unown, and other forms

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Sun is actually the first game I completed the Dex for.
I have ALL the Pokemon throughout the games. I've just been too lazy to transfer them.

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress
I completed the Sun and Moon dexes and got my Shiny Charms in both. Now I'm waiting for the Poke Bank update for the National Dex and the mass migration of my XYORAS Pokemon to Alola. I have also completed the National Dexes in XYORAS too, the first time I ever completed them since the original Red and Blue.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
This is what I'm doing as well. Same with the unown, and other forms

I forgot I have boxes for all the Unown forms and Vivillon forms as well. The Unown box is currently in with the general boxes in Bank and my Vivillion collection is in one of my games at the moment.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I've completed the National Dex on all my Gen 1, 3, 4 and 5 games. It took ages in R/B/Y in particular cuz I needed to trade alot, but it was a much simpler task in B/W cuz of Wi-Fi trading hee hee. I still need Volcanion on my X, Y and Alpha Sapphire games however. Once I have one, I'll have finished my Dex in the Gen 6 games. :3

_LightMeww_

I haven't finished any of my Pokedexes except in Platinum and even then I didn't have the mythical Pokemon like Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, etc registered, so said Pokedex still feels incomplete to me.

i finish my living dex of all 801 pokemon with the pokemon bank update with just owning sun. all legit. gotta love shinys/GBC

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
My Alola Dex in Moon is complete minus Marshadow. I think I'm pretty close to completing a living Dex in Bank including all the Mythical Pokemon bar Marshadow.

..CRIS..

I've been playing since 96. and so far I've completed gen 1, 2, 3, and 4 dex. I took a break after gen 5. since the release of gen 5 I've played casually. for gen 7 im 40 away of completing that dex. its just that darn GTS people ask for ridiculous trades lol

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I completed my Alola Dex in Pokémon Moon about two months ago. The GTS was my best friend. I also had help from friends. Some of my friends helped me with trades. It was my first Dex completion since Pokémon Leaf Green.

Bill the Typhlosion

I've been thinking lately about Pokédex challenges that can be completed in a single game without trading or transferring. Although I've completed a few Pokédexes properly in the past, I still find single-player challenges really fun and satisfying for some reason.

All Johto games: Complete the Unown Dex / Unown Report
All Sinnoh games: See every Pokémon in the Sinnoh Dex
Black 2 and White 2: Complete the Habitat List in all areas
Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire: Complete the DexNav in all areas
Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee: See every Pokémon in the Kanto Dex (I managed this by catching everything I could, then seeing the missing ones in trainer battles. It may also be possible to see every Pokémon in trainer battles alone, but I'm not sure.)

I've completed all these challenges at one point or another except for the Gen 2 Unown Dex and the Habitat List.

In Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, it's also theoretically possible to see every Pokémon in the Hoenn Dex if you can find Secret Base codes for the missing starter line, Latias/Latios, Kyogre/Groudon, and Jirachi (optional). So far I've found codes for Blaziken, Latias, Kyogre and Jirachi, but I'm having difficulty finding codes for Torchic and Combusken as most players use fully-evolved Pokémon in their Bases. Whether this counts as a single-player challenge is debateable, as you're relying on other players to an extent.

I love the fact that Diamond, Pearl and Platinum not only make it possible to see every Pokémon, but also recognize the achievement by giving you a diploma. I hope this feature returns in the Sinnoh remakes if they happen, and in fact, I think it ought to be a feature of every game. There should be two diplomas, one for seeing them all (which you can do on your own) and one for catching them all (which requires teamwork).

Edit: Oops sorry, I didn't realize this thread was so old!

Last edited: