1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Pokémon Company and TV Tokyo will upload the Pokémon anime episode every week to YouTube

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Kazuniya, Nov 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazuniya

Kazuniya Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  2. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

At least it'll make it easier for good quality subs to exist and give people an easier source to cite when they need to correct a misconception

3. Bortgreen

Bortgreen The incredible world of PokéMon!

This is great!
    The dub could do that too, but I think they prefer to market Pokémon TV

4. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

I have mixed feelings about this. Are the episodes going to be free or will we need to pay to watch them like other tv shows and movies on YouTube?

5. Kazuniya

For free, it seems. Episode 1 of Pocket Monsters is already uploaded.

6. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

Well then I think it is a great way to catch up with the anime when you don’t have cable and are on a budget. If you had to pay $4.99 for one season alone then I’d be upset at that.

7. Konja7

Konja7 Well-Known Member

It isn't a standard practice at all.

There are some online anime, but these are usually exclusively online and they don't use youtube.

PS: I can't see the video. So, maybe these episodes are exclusive for Japan.

8. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

Honestly, i am surprised more animes don't do this, since they can get money from this. Usually, they just chose either Crunchyroll or Netflix to stream their show, which i suppose is more lucrative. Unless they would get a crazy load of views on youtube i guess.

If only they allowed fans to add subtitles, then the western fans wouldn't have to watch on other sites aswell and they would gain more views. Japanese people already have it on their television. Western people only have the dubbed version and not everyone is a fan of it.

Well, at least we can still watch it without subs.

Spider-Phoenix, Jolepo and Kazuniya like this.
  9. Kazuniya

I can watch it just fine, and I live in Europe. Weird.

10. Konja7

Konja7 Well-Known Member

They don't really have many benefits in that western people could look it legally or not (not to mention that they left that aspect to the dub).

The biggest profit for anime comes from the merchandise sales. The main buyers of anime merchandise is usually Japanese people.

Even when the anime is popular outside Japan, western people usually don't buy as much anime merchandise as Japanese people (not even close).

Twilight-Kun and Sham like this.
  11. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Kanae, Keeper of the Gates Emblazoned

That's because us Westerners have to pay more due to shipping costs and import taxes and stuff, or for America specifically, that they basically put all the cool stuff in NYC and you have to go there to get it.

12. Leonhart

Leonhart Well-Known Member

It's a nice gesture for sure, but since I watch the episodes live anyway, I probably won't take advantage of this. It's great that fans outside of Japan will have a way to view the Japanese episodes for free legally, however. It's been a long time coming.

FlygontheRavager likes this.
  13. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

Most of the merch is usually not just centered around the anime, but rather it is centered around the entire franchise. They are usually plushies of species that might aswell not even be related to a specific character from the tv show.
    It is not that most of the anime's profit comes from the anime's merch per se, but rather that the anime helps to advertise the species that are eventually sold as merch (not necessarily centered around the anime), which in turn is responsible for a lot of the money the Pokémon Company makes. At the end of the day, the anime is just a big commercial for the other products.

While i agree with you that Japan is the country that sells merch the most, that doesn't mean that all of the western countries combined have a insignificant amount of merchandise sales. I still see a lot of people buying and playing with pokémon products where i live and we are just one of the many western countries.

That is beyond the point though. If there is a way for them to increase their views on youtube, i don't know why they shouldn't do it. More views equals to more money and more advertisement. Even if the views are from western countries, the Youtube algorithm doesn't really care.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  14. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix Go, Go Power Rangers

So they will do it ever week? Fantastic news. I'm really happy. Will subscribe to the channel and give views/like to the episodes just out of support.

If I recall Tsubaraya lets people add subtitles to the Ultraman episodes they uploaded. Dunno if they changed though

Xuxuba and TheWanderingMist like this.
  15. Konja7

Konja7 Well-Known Member

I know that the anime is a big commercial for products. I was trying to say that. Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

In the case of Pokemon anime, they create anime for Japanese audience, while the dub is for other countries. That's why the episode in youtube doesn't have subtitles even now.

I don't think they are interested to win money using youtube, but they want to use youtube to promote other things. So, the viewers are "important", but they want the viewers to buy merchandise.

PS: When I was speaking about anime merchandise selling the most in Japan, I wasn't including video games, since these are big sellers outside Japan (curiously, there are some japanese video games that are bigger sellers outside Japan).

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  16. Henry's Journey

Henry's Journey Well-Known Member

Let's stream and watch, episode 1 has now over 1.2 million views!

Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  17. AznKei

AznKei Badass girls saving their boyfriends. XD

It's cool, but I usually watch the episodes once and be done with them, raw or sub.

But it's a good thing for them to upload the episodes instead of having some fans uploading the episodes and get terminated on YouTube because of the copyrights, like what happened in the last series.

18. Bortgreen

Bortgreen The incredible world of PokéMon!

How many hours after airing do they upload the episode? It might be useful before subs

KenzeyEevee and Spider-Phoenix like this.
  19. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Kanae, Keeper of the Gates Emblazoned

I'm just happy I no longer have to watch them semi-legally.

20. Shadao

Shadao Champion GETTO DA ZE!

And it's gone. At least region-blocked in the USA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.