• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Pokémon Company and TV Tokyo will upload the Pokémon anime episode every week to YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I have mixed feelings about this. Are the episodes going to be free or will we need to pay to watch them like other tv shows and movies on YouTube?

Xuxuba

Honestly, i am surprised more animes don't do this, since they can get money from this. Usually, they just chose either Crunchyroll or Netflix to stream their show, which i suppose is more lucrative. Unless they would get a crazy load of views on youtube i guess.

If only they allowed fans to add subtitles, then the western fans wouldn't have to watch on other sites aswell and they would gain more views. Japanese people already have it on their television. Western people only have the dubbed version and not everyone is a fan of it.

Well, at least we can still watch it without subs.

Konja7

Honestly, i am surprised more animes don't do this, since they can get money from this. Usually, they just chose either Crunchyroll or Netflix to stream their show, which i suppose is more lucrative. Unless they would get a crazy load of views on youtube i guess.

If only they allowed fans to add subtitles, then the western fans wouldn't have to watch on other sites aswell and they would gain more views. Japanese people already have it on their television. Western people only have the dubbed version and not everyone is a fan of it.

They don't really have many benefits in that western people could look it legally or not (not to mention that they left that aspect to the dub).

The biggest profit for anime comes from the merchandise sales. The main buyers of anime merchandise is usually Japanese people.

Even when the anime is popular outside Japan, western people usually don't buy as much anime merchandise as Japanese people (not even close).

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
They don't really have many benefits in that western people could look it legally or not (not to mention that they left that aspect to the dub).

The biggest profit for anime comes from the merchandise sales. The main buyers of anime merchandise is usually Japanese people.

Even when the anime is popular outside Japan, western people usually don't buy as much anime merchandise as Japanese people (not even close).
That's because us Westerners have to pay more due to shipping costs and import taxes and stuff, or for America specifically, that they basically put all the cool stuff in NYC and you have to go there to get it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
It's a nice gesture for sure, but since I watch the episodes live anyway, I probably won't take advantage of this. It's great that fans outside of Japan will have a way to view the Japanese episodes for free legally, however. It's been a long time coming.

Xuxuba

Most of the merch is usually not just centered around the anime, but rather it is centered around the entire franchise. They are usually plushies of species that might aswell not even be related to a specific character from the tv show.
It is not that most of the anime's profit comes from the anime's merch per se, but rather that the anime helps to advertise the species that are eventually sold as merch (not necessarily centered around the anime), which in turn is responsible for a lot of the money the Pokémon Company makes. At the end of the day, the anime is just a big commercial for the other products.

While i agree with you that Japan is the country that sells merch the most, that doesn't mean that all of the western countries combined have a insignificant amount of merchandise sales. I still see a lot of people buying and playing with pokémon products where i live and we are just one of the many western countries.

That is beyond the point though. If there is a way for them to increase their views on youtube, i don't know why they shouldn't do it. More views equals to more money and more advertisement. Even if the views are from western countries, the Youtube algorithm doesn't really care.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
So they will do it ever week? Fantastic news. I'm really happy. Will subscribe to the channel and give views/like to the episodes just out of support.

If I recall Tsubaraya lets people add subtitles to the Ultraman episodes they uploaded. Dunno if they changed though

Konja7

Most of the merch is usually not just centered around the anime, but rather it is centered around the entire franchise. They are usually plushies of species that might aswell not even be related to a specific character from the tv show.
It is not that most of the anime's profit comes from the anime's merch per se, but rather that the anime helps to advertise the species that are eventually sold as merch (not necessarily centered around the anime), which in turn is responsible for a lot of the money the Pokémon Company makes. At the end of the day, the anime is just a big commercial for the other products.

While i agree with you that Japan is the country that sells merch the most, that doesn't mean that all of the western countries combined have a insignificant amount of merchandise sales. I still see a lot of people buying and playing with pokémon products where i live and we are just one of the many western countries.

That is beyond the point though. If there is a way for them to increase their views on youtube, i don't know why they shouldn't do it. More views equals to more money and more advertisement. Even if the views are from western countries, the Youtube algorithm doesn't really care.

I know that the anime is a big commercial for products. I was trying to say that. Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

In the case of Pokemon anime, they create anime for Japanese audience, while the dub is for other countries. That's why the episode in youtube doesn't have subtitles even now.

I don't think they are interested to win money using youtube, but they want to use youtube to promote other things. So, the viewers are "important", but they want the viewers to buy merchandise.

PS: When I was speaking about anime merchandise selling the most in Japan, I wasn't including video games, since these are big sellers outside Japan (curiously, there are some japanese video games that are bigger sellers outside Japan).

Last edited:

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
It's cool, but I usually watch the episodes once and be done with them, raw or sub.

But it's a good thing for them to upload the episodes instead of having some fans uploading the episodes and get terminated on YouTube because of the copyrights, like what happened in the last series.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I'm just happy I no longer have to watch them semi-legally.

Status
Not open for further replies.