1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Poke Radar

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation IV Discussion' started by Aquarelle, Jul 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquarelle

Aquarelle Moderator Staff Member Moderator

One item in the Sinnoh games was the Poke Radar, which was useful for finding exclusive Pokemon, creating chains, and finding shinies.

Did you like using the Poke Radar? What were your longest chains? Did you find any shiny Pokemon with it?

I used the radar a few times to try it out and see which Pokemon I would find. I’d have to check my games to see what my best chains were, but I know they weren’t too long. Machop was my best chain on Platinum IIRC.
    Overall, though, I didn’t put a lot of time into the Poke Radar. I wasn’t too concerned with getting shinies and I just traded/transferred the radar exclusive Pokemon from other games.

2. Kalosian

Kalosian Never Say Forever

I thought the Poke Radar was a pretty good way to find Pokemon that couldn't be found otherwise. Using it wasn't always easy though, and I usually got frustrated or bored if I didn't find the Pokemon I was looking for rather quickly. Being forced to walk 50 steps to reset it was a bit annoying, and I didn't always use Repels while using it which meant random wild Pokemon often destryed my attempts at finding what I was looking for. I used it mostly for Pokedex purposes. I caught most of the Pokemon that were exclusive to it, though I believe I might have skipped out on most/all of the ones that had a really low chance of appearing. I am pretty sure there were some Pokemon that only had a 2% chance of appearing, but I didn't feel like looking it up right now. I believe I traded over these Pokemon from another game, or sent over them from 3rd Gen instead of catching them with the Poke Radar. I also remember that I found the Poke Radar useful while trying to catch Ditto in D/P, though I never did that in Platinum since I just sent over some of my best Ditto from Emerald instead.

As for chaining and trying to obtain shinies, I never did it that much. I'm not very interested in shinies and I have never hunted for them actively (outside of RNGing, but that's not really the same thing). That said, I do believe I tried to chain a few times just for fun, pretty sure the highest I managed to get was a chain of 24 for Starly in Pearl. I never found any shinies with the Poke Radar (and I have barely found any random shinies in 4th Gen to begin with). Might go back and check what my highest chains on all of my 4th Gen games were at a later point if I feel like it.

Overall, the Poke Radar was a neat feature, but it wasn't that useful for me personally. I caught all the Pokemon that were exclusive to it, then I practically stopped using it. It just didn't interest me much outside of that. I haven't really missed it much in most games past D/P/P, and its return in X/Y didn't do much for me since it didn't allow for finding any exclusive Pokemon there. That said, the basic concept of it was great, and I see it as a very basic precursor to the DexNav in OR/AS.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  3. Hunter Zolomon

Hunter Zolomon Well-Known Member

I'm so bad with the Poke Radar. In Gen 4 I never found any shinies with it. :p

MockingJ likes this.
  4. Lunala

Lunala Banned

I failed at finding shinies with the Poke Radar every time I tried, which wasn't often as I never had the patience to use it to look for shinies. Mostly it was used to fill the Pokedex.

MockingJ likes this.
  5. Alexander18

Alexander18 Banned

Same here. Poke Radar is impossible to do. It is kind of pointless for me to use in my opinion.

6. Pikachu979

Pikachu979 Sinnoh Champion

I loved the poke radar, I can't remember my longest chain but i did catch 3 Shiny pokemon 1 Swablu, Trapinch, and a ralts.

MockingJ likes this.
  7. In my first Platinum playthrough, I didn't use it at all.
    In my second, I tried it for a bit, but got bored with after a few minutes.

I think what deterred me was having to walk 50 steps to charge it up was way to tedious. Also, I wasn't one to buy a whole bunch of repels for just that purpose.

But that doesn't automatically mean I hated it. It's because at the time, I wasn't one to stick with the games for too much longer after beating the Pokemon league.

8. Aquarelle

I checked my main Platinum to see what my best chains were:

1. Machop 19
    2. Budew 12
    3. Happiny 9

I remember the Machop chain - I was looking for one with a certain Nature for breeding purposes and figured that I could find a bunch of them and learn how to use the Poke Radar at the same time. Once the chain broke, though, I realized I didn't have the patience or desire to continue using the radar.

Don't remember the Budew or Happiny chains, but they were longer than I thought they'd be. I was expecting to see a chain of like, 3, when I checked my Poketch.

I'm sure my best chains on Pearl were lower, but I haven't checked in a long time.

9. Kalosian

Kalosian Never Say Forever

Decided to check the highest chains I got on all of my games today, and they were the following:

Pearl:
    1. Starly - 24
    2. Geodude - 14
    3. Ponyta - 11

Diamond:
    1. Ditto - 13
    2. Togepi - 9
    3. Pachirisu - 7

Platinum #1:
    1. Buizel - 13
    2. Bidoof - 9
    3. Floatzel - 9
    (the last two are technically a tie but this is how the game ranked them)

Platinum #2:
    1. Budew - 5
    2. Meditite - 4
    3. Starly - 4
    (same here)

The highest I ever got was the one for Starly on Pearl, just as I thought. There are several I don't remember though, the most notable one being Pachirisu on Diamond. I don't remember why I was chaining for it out of all Pokemon. It's an ancient mystery of a long forgotten past. Pretty sure the Togepi and Ditto chains were for breeding purposes. All the others were likely just for fun or out of boredom, maybe a combination of both.

10. Aquarelle

Cool, I found out that I also have a 5-4-4 record on my Pearl:

1. Starly 5
    2. Floatzel 4
    3. Pachirisu 4

They're smaller than my Platinum's chains, as expected, though I thought the longest would've been a bit higher (maybe 7 or so).

I remember the Floatzel chain - I did it on Route 218 near Canalave. Why I chose Floatzel, though, I don't remember.
    Have no memory of the Starly or Pachirisu chains.

11. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

I used to chain for Shiny Pokemon on it in 2007. Back then, it was the most useful method for Shiny hunting, so I tried the Radar, but I didn't have much patience for it.

MockingJ likes this.
  12. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

In my current Platinum game, my longest chains happen to have Ponyta (40), Snover (41), and Bagon (29). Sadly, I have yet to find any shinies using this method. Guess I just don't have the patience for that.

13. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

I liked using the Poke Radar in the D/P/Pt games cuz it made finding shinies easier hee hee. I used to chain for hours back when I played Platinum and I always got excited whenever I would find a patch of sparkly grass. :D

MockingJ likes this.
  14. Wednesdayz

Wednesdayz Banned

Lol, same. In fact when I played Diamond in Japanese, I didn't even know how to use the Radar and I didn't find out how till I played Diamond in English.

15. Elite4woolfy

Elite4woolfy ✽✽✽✽✽✽

I'm terrible with the Poke Radar. I prefer Masuda Method instead.

16. WolfeyStar

WolfeyStar Ganbaruby!

I'm somehow pretty good with the PokeRadar. It's a pretty easy item to use when you understand the mechanics behind it. The best part about it is seeing that sparkly grass after hours of chaining!

Occasionally I break out Pearl just for chaining. It's a pretty fun item, despite how frustrating it can be at the same time.

MockingJ likes this.
  17. ZilverLox

ZilverLox Banned

Me too. The Radar in the Sinnoh games just seemed like more trouble than it was worth, when it came to Shiny hunting at least.

18. xerxes

xerxes ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ

I thought the Pokéradar was the best new thing introduced in D/P! I found it fun and it was what really got me into shiny hunting. I filled my Pearl and Platinum games with three boxes worth of shinies.

19. Alloutℯ

Alloutℯ Banned

I hardly used mine except for when I went looking for some of the rare Pokemon that could only appear when you use the Radar. I was so bad at chaining though.

20. Nope, nope, nope just no. No x1000. Chaining was way too tedious. Hated it.

MockingJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.