• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Pokemon Anime Opposite Opinions Game Thread

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I know I'm bumping this but honestly I like the thread, plus it probably only died because the last guy to post got the pink slip so we can't really respond to him (and also I have no clue how to argue against what he posted).

I think there would still need to be a balancing measure in the anime as some pokemon species just have small movepools and this puts them at a massive disadvantage against an equally or even slightly less strong pokemon with access to a bigger variety of attacks. Maybe instead of pokemon only being able to know four moves, it could have just been a rule for official battles in the anime that you're only allowed to use up to four moves in the same battle, and using 5 would be a foul or something. That way trainers would need to plan out their movesets beforehand, and there would still be somewhat of a balance.

I know my opinion on this isn't really the opposite because I agree that forgetting older attacks is ridiculous. It's super weird that Pikachu just doesn't know how to use Volt Tackle or Electro Ball anymore lol

Opinion: Iris's starter should have been Axew, and she should have caught another dragon instead of having Excadrill. Being a non dragon, Excadrill contributed very little to her goal of being a master of dragon types, and he was arguably a plot hole because she was too young to be a trainer back when they competed in the village.

Please don't crucify me too painfully, thanks.

I think Excadrill's backstory was supposed to tie into her "wild girl who's attached to nature" trait. I'd assume that, in universe, she was more concerned with befriending and playing with the wild Pokémon before her dream of becoming a Dragon Master. It makes sense as that's the main priority of most kids. Excadrill serves as a reminder of her background of what lead to her ambition to become a DM.

Opinion: I can't find anything likeable about Lillie or her character arc. All but 1 of her episodes had me disengaged.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Opinion: I can't find anything likeable about Lillie or her character arc. All but 1 of her episodes had me disengaged.
There are plenty of likable things about Lillie. Her determination to overcome her fear of touching Pokémon was admirable, especially if you are familiar with just how hard it is to overcome psychological trauma. She has a vast amount of knowledge, but she doesn't come off as an annoying know-it-all. Instead, she sometimes uses her knowledge in clever ways, such as in the Alolan Sandshrew episode.

Opinion: Mallow is not a useless character or a load. She serves as sort of the Team Mom, and she has also actively made steps toward achieving her goal (which is more than can be said for some of the other characters, such as Sophocles).

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
There are plenty of likable things about Lillie. Her determination to overcome her fear of touching Pokémon was admirable, especially if you are familiar with just how hard it is to overcome psychological trauma. She has a vast amount of knowledge, but she doesn't come off as an annoying know-it-all. Instead, she sometimes uses her knowledge in clever ways, such as in the Alolan Sandshrew episode.

Opinion: Mallow is not a useless character or a load. She serves as sort of the Team Mom, and she has also actively made steps toward achieving her goal (which is more than can be said for some of the other characters, such as Sophocles).

I have personally worked with people with psychological trauma and I indeed can say Lillie's determined outlook on it is impressive. However, I think the "afraid to touch Pokémon" plot is unnecessary and would've preferred her in game story with maybe Silvally having a minor role in that. Here knowledge isn't that important to her overall character so I'm neutral on that.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
I have personally worked with people with psychological trauma and I indeed can say Lillie's determined outlook on it is impressive. However, I think the "afraid to touch Pokémon" plot is unnecessary and would've preferred her in game story with maybe Silvally having a minor role in that. Here knowledge isn't that important to her overall character so I'm neutral on that.
That would of just made her bland since a lot of the fans of the games watch the anime. We already had 32 + hours of game Lillie only to watch a full season of it? Pokémon finally tackled something human again (mental trauma) and gave it to an interesting character. I love when Pokémon tackles everyday things like Dawn’s depression or Iris dropping out of school. It’s makes the characters feel more human.

That’s because her goal isn’t exactly mission impossible. Running a successful restaurant can be hard sure but it’s not the most hardest thing in the universe. Also she’s only gotten about 3 episodes dedicated to achieving said goal. That’s small and considering Soph’s goal is to be an astronaut; I don’t think the goals are comparable.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Since the previous poster didn't give an opinion for anyone to counter, I will give another opinion:

For the SM series, the writers should have drastically decreased the TRio's appearances and used Team Skull more often instead. The TRio hasn't really actively contributed to the SM series at all. Sure, some of their scenes are funny, and yes, they've been the focus of a few episodes, but they could have easily been replaced with Team Skull, who, as one of the villainous organizations of Alola, should be getting far more spotlight than they are, especially since the Aether Foundation isn't the villainous organization it was in the games.

I would argue that the TRio should have been scrapped altogether, but since it seems the writers are going to use some of the Rainbow Rocket arc for the anime, the TRio may actually serve a purpose after all, so I suppose they have a reason to stay.

Genaller

Silver Soul
@Satomine Night best I’ve got for you as to why TRio shouldn’t have a drastically decreased role is because they’re iconic and popular amongst the Japanese’s fandom and hence the writers end up spending less effort in utilizing already fleshed out characters over newer characters like Team Skull that they’d have to take time fleshing out; time that could be used to make a quality series in other ways. Honestly it’s difficult to answer this opinion until the series is over.

Anyways I’d like to re-start this thread, so here’s an opinion: Clemont hardly did anything after his gym battle with Ash.

Note: Yoy don’t have to agree with the opinions you state or even with the positions you take when refuting an opinion; the intended goal of this thread is to foster discussion and in particular to challenge yourself by considering viewpoints you normally wouldn’t agree with. All rules stated by the thread starter still apply.