• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Pokemon Anime Versus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Well he did stand above the other competitors in the end =P.
Obviously he did, but not by such a notable margin. Let's put Tobias/Alain out of the equation. Didn't Virgil dominate the Unova League better?

There are weaker trainers who'll be eliminated quickly, just like in any another league.
Obviously weak trainers compared to Alain, Ash and Sawyer. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they're weak. Remember the Furfrou guy. I think that the point of the Furfrou guy was to show that how difficult it was to collect 8 badges in Kalos.

Except he absolutely can. He's a gym leader. His purpose is to test the challenger to an appropriate standard. Yes, Wulfric did self-nerf when he abandoned a devastating strategy. Heck, if he really wanted to go all out, he'd have employed both the Ice Body Avalugg + Mega Abomasnow.
Aren't the purpose of the Gym leaders are to bring out the best in the challengers? The purpose of the whole Gym quest in a region is to see that whether you are of that standard of competing in the League or not. So it isn't fair to assume that a Gym leader would go easy on a challenger.

And Wulfric didn't comparatively nerf himself in the rematch as he used Mega Abomasnow instead of Ice Body Avulugg. While it's true that he didn't use both Mega Abomasnow and Ice Body Avulugg, compared to the initial match he didn't nerf himself. The Flare arc makes it clear that Mega Abomasnow was Wulfric's best Pokemon.

Okay, you're trying to justify two rookies making it to the top 8. You're trying to justify that somehow BB-OS explosion couldn't "logically" be less powerful than IB-SB even though visually the latter was more stunning. My whole point here is proving that your blanket statement that "KL power levels far exceed anything else" is just untrue.
I'm just trying to point out that it was not only MC-X who was the only extremely powerful Pokemon trainer in the League like you said earlier, Ash-Greninja and Mega Sceptile were also in a different level compared to the others. I've given by explanations above why Ash-Greninja and Mega Sceptile were capable of sweeping(3-0ing) trainers until the quarterfinals. This shows that you need a solid group effort from your Pokemon to take them out. The power level of Ash-Greninja and Mega Sceptile were also very high, and that was my point.
- The Kalos and Peak Hoenn teams are roughly equal
, Therefore
- Sawyer would beat Tyson 5-6

How are the peak Hoeen team and the Kalos team roughly equal? Ash-Greninja>Sceptile, Alain Pikachu>Brandon Pikachu. If you're going to say that the rest of the peak Hoenn team is better, then I can say that Ash-Greninja even after being at poor health after battling Sceptile can easily maul through Tier 2's like Swellow, Glalie. XY showed us that what high level Pokemon can do to decent Pokemon. We all know what Ash-Greninja did to Heidayu's Bisharp and Sawyer's Base Sceptile and what Mega Sceptile did to Tierno's Pokemon. You can throw as many Bisharps and Base Sceptiles at Ash-Greninja and as many Blastoises and Raichus at Mega Sceptile but nothing is going to happen. You need solid Tier 1 Pokemon like Sceptile(Ash's) and Pikachu do massive damage, Tier 2s aren't doing jack.

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul
Adorable.

Notice I never mentioned Sawyer anywhere.

Not kidding. It would actually be helpful for me to explain some of the terms considering I have a final on the subject in 2 days so please ask away what you want explained (assuming you were using the word "jargon" properly).

Well 1 stream of reasoning you used in our initial debate was Brock's line -> in support of Hoenn league was grueling -> in support of Tyson > Sawyer. If you currently do not believe that the HL format/quality is a relevant premise in support of the conclusion "Tyson > Sawyer", then you and I have no qualms concerning the Brock statement.

345a-g: when I say Peak I mean all Pokémon are at their best. For both teams I would be using Peakachu as per my progression map. If I tiered the teams relative to eachother, it would go:

- High Tier 0
Ash-Greninja

- Low Tier 0
Peakachu

- Mid Tier 1
Sceptile

- High Tier 2
Swellow

- Mid Tier 2
Glalie

- Low Tier 2
Hawlucha

- High Tier 3
Torkoal, Taloneflame, Goodra

- Mid Tier 3
Corphish

- Low Tier 3
Noivern

Define: Low Tier 0 = 0. add 1 for each lower sub tier and subtract 1 for each higher sub tier (e.g. Sceptile would be a 2 while A-G would be a -2). add up the values for each team and we get 26 for Hoenn and 27 for Kalos which actually puts Hoenn minutely ahead overall though out of respect for A-G's status as Ash's strongest (until Z-move Peakachu is a thing antways) I'd say an actual match would result in a "Draw" by which I mean it's too close to tell who'd win. Do you disagree with any of my relative placements or rather the methadology I'm using to draw this conclusion? Of course due to a concept I explained several pages ago (when discussing A-G vs Heracross+Torkoal+Gible+Sceptile) only tier 2 and above Pokémon can potentially damage A-G and only tier 1 and above Pokémon can give a good fight.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
345a-g: when I say Peak I mean all Pokémon are at their best. For both teams I would be using Peakachu as per my progression map. If I tiered the teams relative to eachother, it would go:

- High Tier 0
Ash-Greninja

- Low Tier 0
Peakachu

- Mid Tier 1
Sceptile

- High Tier 2
Swellow

- Mid Tier 2
Glalie

- Low Tier 2
Hawlucha

- High Tier 3
Torkoal, Taloneflame, Goodra

- Mid Tier 3
Corphish

- Low Tier 3
Noivern

Define: Low Tier 0 = 0. add 1 for each lower sub tier and subtract 1 for each higher sub tier (e.g. Sceptile would be a 2 while A-G would be a -2). add up the values for each team and we get 26 for Hoenn and 27 for Kalos which actually puts Hoenn minutely ahead overall though out of respect for A-G's status as Ash's strongest (until Z-move Peakachu is a thing antways) I'd say an actual match would result in a "Draw" by which I mean it's too close to tell who'd win. Do you disagree with any of my relative placements or rather the methadology I'm using to draw this conclusion? Of course due to a concept I explained several pages ago (when discussing A-G vs Heracross+Torkoal+Gible+Sceptile) only tier 2 and above Pokémon can potentially damage A-G and only tier 1 and above Pokémon can give a good fight.
Well the point where I disagree is that tier 2 Pokemon doing damage to Ash-Greninja. Seeing how Ash-Greninja easily KO'd Heidayu's Bisharp(who was steamrolling 3 Pokemon at once) and Sawyer's Base Sceptile(who was dominating Base Greninja), I can't see how Tier 2s can do anything. I do believe that solid Tier 1 Pokemon like Sceptile+BF Pikachu can probably chip damage to bring it down, but Tier 2s aren't doing jack. You do rate Ash-Greninja as Champion Ace level, right? So, Tier 2 Pokemon doing damage doesn't seem plausible.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Well the point where I disagree is that tier 2 Pokemon doing damage to Ash-Greninja. Seeing how Ash-Greninja easily KO'd Heidayu's Bisharp(who was steamrolling 3 Pokemon at once) and Sawyer's Base Sceptile(who was dominating Base Greninja), I can't see how Tier 2s can do anything. I do believe that solid Tier 1 Pokemon like Sceptile+BF Pikachu can probably chip damage to bring it down, but Tier 2s aren't doing jack. You do rate Ash-Greninja as Champion Ace level, right? So, Tier 2 Pokemon doing damage doesn't seem plausible.

High Tier 2s like Heracross, Swellow and Bulbasaur should be able to land a solid hit or 2 before falling while Low/Mid Tier 2s would need some unconventional method to be able to plausibly (not guaranteed) damage A-G. Peakachu (upper E4 Ace lvl) due to type advantage would give A-G a high diff match and from there Sceptile wins with minimal damage. Then Sceptile+Glalie+a bit of Swellow (if required) deal with the Kalos team's Peakachu.

The hoenn league was tight but no one was really that good. Imagine what would happen during Ash vs Paul he had Monferno instead of Infernape (who carried). Ash would have been sh*t on.

Now apply that to the Hoenn League, and have Sceptile replace Grovyle, Ash would comfortably beat Tyson. Not even counting Regice Pikachu replacing floppachu or Registeel Torkoal replacing that immobile turtle in the HL

Genaller

Silver Soul
The hoenn league was tight but no one was really that good. Imagine what would happen during Ash vs Paul he had Monferno instead of Infernape (who carried). Ash would have been sh*t on.

Now apply that to the Hoenn League, and have Sceptile replace Grovyle, Ash would comfortably beat Tyson. Not even counting Regice Pikachu replacing floppachu or Registeel Torkoal replacing that immobile turtle in the HL

I completely agree with your assessment. The Hoenn team at tveir peak should comfortably win 6-3/6-4 depending on battle order.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
High Tier 2s like Heracross, Swellow and Bulbasaur should be able to land a solid hit or 2 before falling while Low/Mid Tier 2s would need some unconventional method to be able to plausibly (not guaranteed) damage A-G. Peakachu (upper E4 Ace lvl) due to type advantage would give A-G a high diff match and from there Sceptile wins with minimal damage. Then Sceptile+Glalie+a bit of Swellow (if required) deal with the Kalos team's Peakachu.

So precisely where do you put Sawyer's Base Sceptile and Heidayu's Bisharp? They pretty much got OHKO'd after transformation without doing any damage. I think Tierno's Blastoise was a solid Tier 2 as well and we saw what Sawyer's Base Sceptile did to it. But I do agree that solid Tier 1 Pokemon like Ash's Sceptile will obviously put up a tough fight against Ash-Greninja.

Genaller

Silver Soul
So precisely where do you put Sawyer's Base Sceptile and Heidayu's Bisharp? They pretty much got OHKO'd after transformation without doing any damage. I think Tierno's Blastoise was a solid Tier 2 as well and we saw what Sawyer's Base Sceptile did to it. But I do agree that solid Tier 1 Pokemon like Ash's Sceptile will obviously put up a tough fight against Ash-Greninja.

atleast Mid tier 2 and High Tier 2 respectively when they fought A-G. Sawyer's Base Sceptile would be a Low/Mid Tier 1 at the league. For Bisharp, while it didn't receive a hit before getting OHKed by A-G it likely did accumulate significant fatigue from holding off 3 Pokémon making it more susceptible to damage. A good example of this is Pikachu vs Tyrunt. Pikachu also wasn't hit once during the match but fell in exhaustion afterwards making it clear that even a single hit at that point would have been fatal (far more so than potentially getting hit at the beginning of the battle). Essentially the more tiered a Pokémon gets, the greater the aggregate damage it will receive per hit. No way around the Sceptile example though. Frogadier itself could be considered tier 2 worthy so Greninja (who didn't have to change its general fighting style) should at the very least be mid tier 2 when it evolved making Sawyer's Sceptile also atleast Mid Tier 2 for having Greninja on the ropes regardless of type advantage.

Then again if we take into account how strong Greninja got from then till the league in addition to the added boost of the A-G form from mastering it, I guess it wouldn't be unreasonable to assert that A-G could OHK all or most tier 2 Pokémon. The only counter point is that A-G hit Abamasnow multiple times (after Greninja hit it multiple times) before Wulfric used ME. Abamasnow had previously lost to Hawlucha in 3 moves (though the equivalent of 15 neutral moves when taking SE and STAB into account). In post #160 of this thread I explained that Greninja/A-G beat Abamasnow/MA in the equivalent of 8.5 neutral moves though I'm not sure if the "attack flurry" assumption I made is valid. Another possible explanation is that Abamasnow can alter the degree to which it can brace itself for an attack thereby altering the amount of damage it takes per hit. We know that Wulfric was specifically going all-out with Abamasnow due to Clemont's statement though it's unclear if my explanation is actually the case. Do you think either of my 2 explanations make sense or how would you explain the Abamasnow case?

Navin

MALDREAD
Obviously he did, but not by such a notable margin. Let's put Tobias/Alain out of the equation. Didn't Virgil dominate the Unova League better?

Helps when you draw an idiot like Cameron for the semifinals.

Obviously weak trainers compared to Alain, Ash and Sawyer. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they're weak. Remember the Furfrou guy. I think that the point of the Furfrou guy was to show that how difficult it was to collect 8 badges in Kalos.

There are people like that for every league. The two other rookies from Pallet who set out at the same time as Ash and Gary quit being trainers - goes to show how difficult it was collect 8 badges for the Indigo Plateau.

Aren't the purpose of the Gym leaders are to bring out the best in the challengers? The purpose of the whole Gym quest in a region is to see that whether you are of that standard of competing in the League or not. So it isn't fair to assume that a Gym leader would go easy on a challenger.

Like any other gym leader. That standard is logically a range too.

And Wulfric didn't comparatively nerf himself in the rematch as he used Mega Abomasnow instead of Ice Body Avulugg. While it's true that he didn't use both Mega Abomasnow and Ice Body Avulugg, compared to the initial match he didn't nerf himself. The Flare arc makes it clear that Mega Abomasnow was Wulfric's best Pokemon.

He waited till he was down to Abomasnow, and after Abomasnow had taken a bunch of hits, to then Mega Evolve. He certainly wasn't going all-out, that much is clear.

I'm just trying to point out that it was not only MC-X who was the only extremely powerful Pokemon trainer in the League like you said earlier, Ash-Greninja and Mega Sceptile were also in a different level compared to the others. I've given by explanations above why Ash-Greninja and Mega Sceptile were capable of sweeping(3-0ing) trainers until the quarterfinals. This shows that you need a solid group effort from your Pokemon to take them out. The power level of Ash-Greninja and Mega Sceptile were also very high, and that was my point.

You can't exactly assume that just because the writers screwed over Tierno by giving him 2 Pokemon that were hard-countered by M-Sceptile, but whatever. Then just say "MCX, A-G, and maybe M-S" will require more than one Pokemon to bring down. Don't try to downplay the HL and other leagues with a dumb blanket statement that they lacked "KL power."

How are the peak Hoeen team and the Kalos team roughly equal?

They are. Get out of the fanboy gutter.

Well 1 stream of reasoning you used in our initial debate was Brock's line -> in support of Hoenn league was grueling -> in support of Tyson > Sawyer. If you currently do not believe that the HL format/quality is a relevant premise in support of the conclusion "Tyson > Sawyer", then you and I have no qualms concerning the Brock statement.

That is what I'm saying. That's independent of Sawyer or any other character.

Genaller

Silver Soul
That is what I'm saying. That's independent of Sawyer or any other character.

As long as you're not using that in support of why Tyson > Char X then we have no issue. Honestly now I'm confused as to why you bothered bringing up the point back then in a Tyson vs Sawyer discussion since it's irrelevant.

atleast Mid tier 2 and High Tier 2 respectively when they fought A-G. Sawyer's Base Sceptile would be a Low/Mid Tier 1 at the league. For Bisharp, while it didn't receive a hit before getting OHKed by A-G it likely did accumulate significant fatigue from holding off 3 Pokémon making it more susceptible to damage. A good example of this is Pikachu vs Tyrunt. Pikachu also wasn't hit once during the match but fell in exhaustion afterwards making it clear that even a single hit at that point would have been fatal (far more so than potentially getting hit at the beginning of the battle). Essentially the more tiered a Pokémon gets, the greater the aggregate damage it will receive per hit. No way around the Sceptile example though. Frogadier itself could be considered tier 2 worthy so Greninja (who didn't have to change its general fighting style) should at the very least be mid tier 2 when it evolved making Sawyer's Sceptile also atleast Mid Tier 2 for having Greninja on the ropes regardless of type advantage.

Then again if we take into account how strong Greninja got from then till the league in addition to the added boost of the A-G form from mastering it, I guess it wouldn't be unreasonable to assert that A-G could OHK all or most tier 2 Pokémon. The only counter point is that A-G hit Abamasnow multiple times (after Greninja hit it multiple times) before Wulfric used ME. Abamasnow had previously lost to Hawlucha in 3 moves (though the equivalent of 15 neutral moves when taking SE and STAB into account). In post #160 of this thread I explained that Greninja/A-G beat Abamasnow/MA in the equivalent of 8.5 neutral moves though I'm not sure if the "attack flurry" assumption I made is valid. Another possible explanation is that Abamasnow can alter the degree to which it can brace itself for an attack thereby altering the amount of damage it takes per hit. We know that Wulfric was specifically going all-out with Abamasnow due to Clemont's statement though it's unclear if my explanation is actually the case. Do you think either of my 2 explanations make sense or how would you explain the Abamasnow case?

Haha I think you put much more thought into this than the writers do :p

Abamasnow is probably just an outlier since the writers want to hide wulfric's ace for the first match so they just nerfed him. The rest of Greninja's performances are consistent with him being able to destroy tier 2s imo.

Navin

MALDREAD
As long as you're not using that in support of why Tyson > Char X then we have no issue. Honestly now I'm confused as to why you bothered bringing up the point back then in a Tyson vs Sawyer discussion since it's irrelevant.

Umm, it's a statement that improves a character's profile. So yes, indirectly, it can be used to support X character in whatever context. Lol.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Umm, it's a statement that improves a character's profile. So yes, indirectly, it can be used to support X character in whatever context. Lol.

True and my argument above was to show that said indirect support was indadequate/unreasonable (fails the G condition) with respect to the topic at hand. That's all :).

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
While I understand your point about stamina drain rather clearly, are you sure that Heidayu's Bisharp was just High Tier 2? I mean it was steamrolling 3 Pokemon at once(Pikachu+Frogadier+Sanpei's Greninja) single handedly. While Pikachu at that point was probably nerfed and Sanpei's Greninja was rather average, Frogadier is still a solid Tier 2. So if Bisharp was dominating those three at once, I would rather put Bisharp at low tier 1.

Regarding Sawyer's Base Sceptile, it was dominating Base Greninja pretty decisively, so I think rating it as a High Tier 2 would be correct. Frogadier was a solid Tier 2 so Base Greninja should be up there at that point of time. The dominating was probably because Sawyer figured out Greninja's battling style.

Stamina drain taken into account. But that time it was Water-veil Ash-Greninja, not full-form. In full-form probably Ash-Greninja can KO those Pokemon easily without stamina drain.

Well regarding the Abomasnow case, I would like to point out that while Ash-Greninja didn't KO it instantly, Abomasnow couldn't land a single hit and was getting pummeled like a ragdoll. If Wulfric didn't use Mega Evolution, then Abomasnow would have been surely KO'd without landing a hit. So Ash-Greninja not KOing it instantly wouldn't have mattered anyway, as Abomasnow would have been KO'd without doing any damage at all.

Helps when you draw an idiot like Cameron for the semifinals.
Being idiot=/=being a bad trainer. Cameron still beat Ash with 5 Pokemon, and that's a feat.
There are people like that for every league. The two other rookies from Pallet who set out at the same time as Ash and Gary quit being trainers - goes to show how difficult it was collect 8 badges for the Indigo Plateau.
Yeah but my point was that the earlier round trainers in the KL weren't jobbers as you make it sound like as they had to pass the tough test of collecting 8 badges.

Like any other gym leader. That standard is logically a range too.
Yeah, so the gym challenges proves your standard, that's the purpose of it.

He waited till he was down to Abomasnow, and after Abomasnow had taken a bunch of hits, to then Mega Evolve. He certainly wasn't going all-out, that much is clear.
Well Wulfric was surprised to see Ash-Greninja's power and then he decided to Mega Evolve Abomasnow in response. This gives us a feeling that Wulfric only uses Mega Abomasnow when his challengers are exceptionally strong.

You can't exactly assume that just because the writers screwed over Tierno by giving him 2 Pokemon that were hard-countered by M-Sceptile, but whatever. Then just say "MCX, A-G, and maybe M-S" will require more than one Pokemon to bring down. Don't try to downplay the HL and other leagues with a dumb blanket statement that they lacked "KL power."
Well the point of the Tierno battle was to demonstrate Mega Sceptile's strength and establish it as a strong opponent for Ash and Ash-Greninja for the semifinals. So why would the writers want to screw Tierno? It's true that Mega Sceptile had a type advantage, but it isn't always easy to defeat opponents with that kind of dominance. Mega Sceptile didn't have a scratch at the end of the battle. So it isn't illogical to assume that Ash-Greninja and Mega Sceptile were capable of sweeping the League until the quarterfinals(as Tierno the quarterfinalist should be logically stronger than the previous round trainers). I don't know why you're trying to lowball here.

My point is that MC-X apart, Ash-Greninja and Mega Sceptile were also in in a different level and the Hoenn League did lack the power displayed by these two.

Genaller

Silver Soul
345a-g: when I say Frogadier is t-2 I mean low t-2. The evolution raised Greninja up to mid t-2. Sawyer's Sceptile is also around mid t-2 as of XYZ 13. I attribute the dominating to factors like type advantage and Sawyer being familiar with Ash's battle style by this point. By the league both Pokémon were around low/mid t-1 with MS being low/mid t-0 and A-G being high t-0. As a rule I usually reserve t-1 and above positions for Pokémon with really impressive/consistent feats. To give you an example I would consider Pokémon like Ash's Snorlax and Gary's Blastoise to be low t-1 and I don't think A-G is taking out Pokémon on that lvl without taking decent damage itself.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
345a-g: when I say Frogadier is t-2 I mean low t-2. The evolution raised Greninja up to mid t-2. Sawyer's Sceptile is also around mid t-2 as of XYZ 13. I attribute the dominating to factors like type advantage and Sawyer being familiar with Ash's battle style by this point. By the league both Pokémon were around low/mid t-1 with MS being low/mid t-0 and A-G being high t-0. As a rule I usually reserve t-1 and above positions for Pokémon with really impressive/consistent feats. To give you an example I would consider Pokémon like Ash's Snorlax and Gary's Blastoise to be low t-1 and I don't think A-G is taking out Pokémon on that lvl without taking decent damage itself.

Well but regarding High Tier 2's what will you say? Well Heidayu's Bisharp being at least High Tier 2 is plausible. While the stamina drain did play a significant part there, Ash-Greninja was in Water-veil form then. Considering the amount of rise in power from Water-veil Ash-Greninja to Full form Ash-Greninja, isn't it plausible to assume that Ash-Greninja could KO High Tier 2's like Heidayu's Bisharp easily?

Genaller

Silver Soul
Well but regarding High Tier 2's what will you say? Well Heidayu's Bisharp being at least High Tier 2 is plausible. While the stamina drain did play a significant part there, Ash-Greninja was in Water-veil form then. Considering the amount of rise in power from Water-veil Ash-Greninja to Full form Ash-Greninja, isn't it plausible to assume that Ash-Greninja could KO High Tier 2's like Heidayu's Bisharp easily?

Like I said it wouldn't be unreasonable to say that A-G could OHK all or most t-2s as long as we can properly account for the Abamasnow case.

Navin

MALDREAD
True and my argument above was to show that said indirect support was indadequate/unreasonable (fails the G condition) with respect to the topic at hand. That's all :).

I don't understand why you're overcomplicating this by shoehorning various assumptions into a logic reasoning theory.

So why would the writers want to screw Tierno?

Why did they have him battle with a type-disadvantage and relatively immobile Blastoise (even with the dancing gimmick it's still a Blastoise) and a Raichu whose Electric-type attacks were all nullified by Lightning Rod? If they wanted to show M-Sceptile to be so powerful, it'd have beaten a Mega Glalie or of that ilk.

but it isn't always easy to defeat opponents with that kind of dominance.

It beat two Pokemon in match-ups where it had the advantage. That's not something groundbreaking in the anime.

My point is that MC-X apart, Ash-Greninja and Mega Sceptile were also in in a different level and the Hoenn League did lack the power displayed by these two.

Even that's not true (case in point, Glalie v Sceptile).

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Like I said it wouldn't be unreasonable to say that A-G could OHK all or most t-2s as long as we can properly account for the Abamasnow case.
Well Abomasnow wasn't one-shot, by still was pummeled mercilessly and couldn't even land a single hit then. If Wulfric didn't use Mega Evolution, Ash-Greninja would have in all probability KO'd Abomasnow without taking any damage if not for the ME. Is there that much of a difference in OHKO'ing a Pokemon and defeating it in multiple hits without taking any damage? Probably not.
Why did they have him battle with a type-disadvantage and relatively immobile Blastoise (even with the dancing gimmick it's still a Blastoise) and a Raichu whose Electric-type attacks were all nullified by Lightning Rod? If they wanted to show M-Sceptile to be so powerful, it'd have beaten a Mega Glalie or of that ilk.
Since when did type advantages become so pivotal in the anime? If that was the case then Mega Sceptile shouldn't have been taken out by the Large Water Shuriken. Mega Sceptile did show sheer dominance against those two Pokemon. Blastoise still had a super-effective move in Ice Beam but couldn't so anything as Sceptile was just too fast. And could Raichu's Thunder have done anything significant? Pikachu's Thunderbolt didn't do anything to Base Sceptile, it just smashed it away with its hands. So I doubt Raichu's Thunder would've done jack even without Lighting Rod.

It beat two Pokemon in match-ups where it had the advantage. That's not something groundbreaking in the anime.
Really? With that kind of dominance(without even recieving a scratch)? Swellow had a clear cut type advantage over Hariyama and Donphan and yet took loads of damage from them which then lead it to be easily revenge kill by Metagross afterwards. So type advantages doesn't always guarantee you easy wins.

Even that's not true (case in point, Glalie v Sceptile).
Well you always keep referring to the Glalie vs Sceptile explosion. Let me tell you then- Ash-Greninja OHKO's Titus's Altaria in the opening rounds of the KL, while in the HL, the League Champion Tyson's ace Meowth has a tough time beating a Persian in the qualifying rounds. Seriously, no power difference here?

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul
I don't understand why you're overcomplicating this by shoehorning various assumptions into a logic reasoning theory.

All I'm doing is expanding out your point regarding Brock's line and arguing why it doesn't provide good grounds for the conclusion we're debating. I don't make the rules on logic and rationality. I just implement them and by those rules your statement concerning Brock's line is either irrelevant or inadequate as a premise for the conclusion concerning Tyson's strength relative to Sawyer's (not to mention that the weight that such a statement should be given when discerning Tyson's ability is very ambiguous). Deal with it. My argument for why your statement isn't a reasonable premise has zero assumptions. My first step is inductive and all following steps are deductive. Besides as a scientist you should understand inductive reasoning as well as the problem of induction. If you don't understand any aspect of my argument then tell me specifically what you want explained and I'll explain it as clearly as I can.

EDIT: While you didn't state what I've claimed you did directly. Those statements are implicit premises that are required for your argument to even begin to be relevant to the topic at hand. If I'm wrong about the implicit premises of your argument, then your argument is irrelevant. If I'm right about them, then your argument is unreasonable/inadequate. Either way your argument isn't cogent with respect to the topic "Sawyer vs Tyson".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.