• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

the pokemon fanchise "Copies"

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it just me, or are yu-gi-oh, digimon, and so many other things are copying pokemon? all they do is just take the idea of pokemon, use different creatures twist the stories, and call it their own. But its the same thing= little monsters, "gotta get em all"

it just annoys me. Seen anything like that lateley? got issues?

Killer_Squirtle

Follow my lead!
the idea of battle monsters is a good idea, Pokemon doesn't have a monopoly on that idea. Some things are rip-offs of the pokemon franchise though.
Spectrobes for one I personally think is a rip off.
Digimon, not so much.
Yu-gi-oh, sorta-kinda-nota-reallya
Dinosaur king TOTAL RIP OFF!

BCVM22

Digimon, Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh share nothing but the concept of "monsters."

The question of whether one series "copies" off of another confines itself to schoolyards and the minds of sixth graders for a reason - because by the time you've grown older than that, you realize how foolish it is to believe such things.

Burning Orphanage

Liscensed Pedophile
Digimon was released as a Tamagotchi styled virtual pet. Yu-Gi-Oh is almost completely unrelated ignoring the fact they both consist of kids using monsters to duke it out, a concept that's far older then the Pokemon franchise.

So yeah, this topic is relatively worthless.

Last edited:

Dragard

I wasn't even there.
Last time I heard that the creator of Pokemon actually got his ideas of monster capturing and stuff from Dragon Quest.

i think pokemon and yugioh are related because they both use the "cards" and the "monsters". but otherwise not that related, i know.

BCVM22

i think pokemon and yugioh are related because they both use the "cards" and the "monsters".

Shared mediums doesn't make them related at all. Hey, let's contend that every franchise to have a trading card game is "related" just because of that.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Then I guess Pokémon are a rip off of monsters from Final Fantasy (or some even older RPG). This is a stoopid thread, no one copied anything! There is no such thing as an original idea, end of story!

dpdude

teehee
in my opinion, bakugan copied yugioh and pokemon, since they use cards and balls and monsters.

Dante Falls

Doppelgänger
Pokémon started out in Feb of 1996 as a Game Boy RPG.
Yugioh started out in Dec of 1996 as a Manga.
Digimon started out in June of 1997 as a Tamagotchi-esque thing.

Then the respective franchises branched out into trading cards, anime, manga, games, etc.

Zazie

So 1991
No mention of Megami Tensei?

This. Unless I am mistaken the Megami Tensei series is the original monster battling RPG not pokemon.

Anyway having the similarity of battling things does not make something a "copy" of something else. Some of the things mentioned may have taken inspiration from pokemon but there is a difference between inspired by and copied. Copying implies it is essentially the same thing, in this case minus the intellectual properties which isn't usually the case.

Nagaru

Safety and Seizures
Yu-Gi-Oh! didn't even had monsters originally. It began as a much less marketable story about a kid with a magical artifact that gave him the power to cast illusions and play life-risking games inside the minds of his victims. Then came an episode about a card game, it was popular, and the ball rolled downhill forever and ever...

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
Let me tell you pokemon rip offs

DINOSAUR KING> TOTAL RIP OFF its so much of a rip off the person who voices ash in pokemon is the same guy who voices the main character (max) in dinosaur king. They also have a trio of bad people working for a head guy and the leader of the trio is voiced by the same person who voices jessie in pokemon. The little machine looks like a pokenav and its a rip of yugioh too because of summoning dinosaur monsters from cards is just too much yugioh
SPECTROBES RIP OFF

Kim62

Hello
Everything's stoling these days, a fax machine is just a waffle iron taped to a phone.
- From Abraham Simpson.

Any ways, the concept of monsters fighting each other isn't new.
Besides, it's better to have many things of one thing then to have only one thing of one thing or something.

~Magic Thunderbolt~

It's Follow the Leader - if a certain franchise hits, there will be a lot of imitators, which are not necessarily as good as the first.

BCVM22

Digimon... yes

Not in the slightest. They share nothing except the concept of a vast multitude of creatures.

Let me tell you pokemon rip offs

Oh, please do.

its so much of a rip off the person who voices ash in pokemon is the same guy who voices the main character (max) in dinosaur king.

Holy crap! You mean voice actors work on multiple productions? Ash's original voice actor voices April in the just-ended Ninja Turtles series. ZOMG TMNT rips off Pokémon!

They also have a trio of bad people working for a head guy and the leader of the trio is voiced by the same person who voices jessie in pokemon.

Oh, well, talk about incontrovertible evidence. We all know Pokémon is the only series ever to have a head villain with a trio of underlings.

For pity's ****ing sake, people, stop the insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.