• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Pokemon franchise coming to an end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

growlithe_master

<-- Ain't it cute?
it isnt whether or not nintendo will drop it, they have plenty of other big franchises, its whether gamefreak is gonna drop it. personally, ive never heard of a single game made by gamefreak other than pokemon. why would they stop their biggest franchise BY FAR?

im gonna count how many times i get bashed for this post. im guessing around 20 times.

CharizardBlastoise

Squirtle Power!
Its not going to last forever, but its not ending any time soon either.

Tyrant Tar

1. Mewtwo has a MUCH lower base stat than Arceus.

2. In addition to the first one, Arceus is THE strongest Pokemon ever so far.

Stats aren't everything. And being "the strongest" known hardly qualifies one for being god.

3. Just because he's called the Alpha Pokemon doesn't mean he still isn't the creator of the universe.

And just because he's the Alpha Pokemon doesn't mean he is the creator of the universe.

4. He IS the god Pokemon. Deal with it.

Arceus is NOT the sole, Abrahamic-esque god Pokemon. Deal with it.

Its pretty much my idea of [the stereotypical] heaven. Pillars, high up in the clouds, its pretty much gold the golden stairs that appear from nowhere and lead into the sky [they're just not golden], in another dimension. some of my friends also get the same image when they think of what heaven might look like. All its lacking is space and clouds, really.

Hall of Origin
Heaven
Not only is Arceus's pad lacking clouds, angels, golden light, and the golden gate, why the hell would Japanese game makers (who've already gotten in trouble for supposed racism) base a divine being on a foreign religion's stereotypical view of the afterlife?

Whether or not the myths and stories concerning Arceus are true, it alone is hardly reason to stop an insanely successful franchise.

Vernikova

Champion
Well, as some people have already pointed out, Arceus isn't the God Pokémon but it's the Alpha Pokémon.

That's beside the point though. The Pokémon franchise isn't coming to an end anytime soon. The main reason for this is because the franchise continues to make money. Nintendo and GameFreak sees that it continues to make all of this money so more games are made.

In my opinion, a Pokémon being named as the God Pokémon, if there was one to be created, wouldn't signify the franchise ending. For example, the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise had God cards created a few years back but the franchise continues today. So as you can see, the franchise certainly isn't ending just yet.

BCVM22

The Omega Pokemon

'Cept that the "Alpha Pokémon" is said in myth to be a creator deity of some sort (Alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet) and thus it would at least be implied that an "Omega Pokémon" (last letter) was some sort of final destroyer.

You can imagine why they might want to stay away from such implications.

Carbon

What is this I don't
That would be so dang cool.

Something with teeth, methinks.

Named, Ragnarook.

Carbon

What is this I don't
I understand, but one must also comprehend the vast potential of awesome it might contain.

However unlikely an event of this ilk might be.

Last edited:

L Lawliet

what if they make a Pokemon that gave life to all Pokemon, like Arceus created the world, and some OMEGA (lol) Pokemon gave life to the pokemon 493

Rys

Postcount melting!
Who says that the story has to be on a larger scale each time a new game is released? Why can't the game go back to earning the eight badges, pwning some guys that get their kicks from stealing Dig TMs and catching a few pokemon with imaginative names. Or if the story must get larger, why not make Arceus the God Pokemon of Sinnoh?

BCVM22

why not make Arceus the God Pokemon of Sinnoh?

If you really have to ask why they'd never actually call anything the "God Pokémon" under any circumstances, then you haven't really thought about it that much.

Grass Guardian

Rags to Riches
Seriousy, if a Nintendo employee was to suggest to his boss that they stopped making Pokemon because of Arceus, he would be fired, laughed at, and pelted with large rocks.

Lol! That made me laugh. I could totally see something like that on Family Guy.

Stats aren't everything.

Stats make up much more than you might think. Stats are the reason so many people breed for IVs and EV train. They want those good stats!

And being "the strongest" known hardly qualifies one for being god

Uhh... yeah it kind of does. Isn't "God" always described as being "all knowing and powerful?"

And just because he's the Alpha Pokemon doesn't mean he is the creator of the universe.

Arceus dex entry:
Diamond: Its is described in mythology as the pokemon that shaped the universe.
Pearl: It is told in mythology that this pokemon was born before the universe even existed.
Platinum: It is said to have emerged from an egg in a place where there was nothing, the shaped the world.

Arceus is NOT the sole, Abrahamic-esque god Pokemon. Deal with it.

In the pokemon world, he is.

Hall of Origin
Heaven
Not only is Arceus's pad lacking clouds, angels, golden light, and the golden gate, why the hell would Japanese game makers (who've already gotten in trouble for supposed racism) base a divine being on a foreign religion's stereotypical view of the afterlife?

You kind of just made my point for me. You're right. Game Freak would get in big trouble for doing that, hence why they opted to call Arceus the "alpha" instead of "god" and they made his world different from what heaven is believed to be like. If they made Arceus' home like "heaven," it would strike too close to home and people would get mad. For legal reasons (And legal reasons alone) Game Freak can't make Arceus' home like that 'cause you know that someone would get all butt-hurt about it.

On topic: As many have said before me, Pokemon isn't ending anytime soon. I'd say we still got another three or so generations to go before its even considered. Unless someone really important dies (like the creator!) it's going to be around for a while.

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Uhh... yeah it kind of does. Isn't "God" always described as being "all knowing and powerful?"

That entirely depends on which god you're talking about.

Again, no.

Here's the problem. You're associating "created the universe" with "rules the universe", and the two don't have to have anything to do with each other. There's many belief systems out there, and many of them--the Pokémon world included--are polytheistic. A god rules something, another god rules something else, and so on, but they're all gods. And heck, Oranos, who I mentioned earlier? He created the universe but he wasn't even considered a god. He was a titan, and got his butt whupped by Zeus, who took over the pantheon and lorded over those who *were* gods. So creating the universe didn't make Oranos all powerful.

To say nothing of Atem--he created the universe and he's best known nowadays for getting a Yu-Gi-Oh character named after him (and, um, HOW he created it. Look it up). Even in Egypt at the time he was considered pretty minor.

Heck, how many gods of the sea have we had so far? Lugia/the current, Kyogre, and Manaphy...and that's just the SEA. That's one ASPECT of the planet in the series.

randomspot555

Arceus dex entry:
Diamond: Its is described in mythology as the pokemon that shaped the universe.
Pearl: It is told in mythology that this pokemon was born before the universe even existed.
Platinum: It is said to have emerged from an egg in a place where there was nothing, the shaped the world.

"in mythology"
"in mythology"
"It is said"

AS in, not a fact.

That's only because you're inserting your personal, western beliefs into Pokemon. As previously pointed out in one of those dumb omgzers Arceus is teh GOD and mew is JESUS!!!! threads, someone made a fine post outlining Shinto, the indigenous religion in Japan, and something that makes much more sense in the context of Pokemon, than the Abrahamic God of Judeo-Christian fame.

You kind of just made my point for me. You're right. Game Freak would get in big trouble for doing that, hence why they opted to call Arceus the "alpha" instead of "god" and they made his world different from what heaven is believed to be like. If they made Arceus' home like "heaven," it would strike too close to home and people would get mad. For legal reasons (And legal reasons alone) Game Freak can't make Arceus' home like that 'cause you know that someone would get all butt-hurt about it.

On topic: As many have said before me, Pokemon isn't ending anytime soon. I'd say we still got another three or so generations to go before its even considered. Unless someone really important dies (like the creator!) it's going to be around for a while.
[/QUOTE]

Umbreon-dana

Phat Philanthropist
-Lives in an alternate, heavenlike dimension in the sky

Excuse me, but doesn't he live on a floating block above a temple on top of a mountain?

Back on topic, just because GameFreak made a "god Pokemon", or well, four god Pokemon (according to sources in all media, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and Arceus are all gods), doesn't mean that Pokemon is going to end. In fact, the only way that Pokemon is going to end is if the entire company dies at once. And that's not even certain.

As previously pointed out in one of those dumb omgzers Arceus is teh GOD and mew is JESUS!!!! threads, someone made a fine post outlining Shinto, the indigenous religion in Japan, and something that makes much more sense in the context of Pokemon, than the Abrahamic God of Judeo-Christian fame.
HOLY-

I think that was me. *goes off to find the post*

FOUND IT!

Shinto is the native religion of Japan and was once its state religion. It is a type of polytheism, and involves the worship of kami , or spirits. Some kami are local and can be regarded as the spiritual being/spirit or genius of a particular place, but others represent major natural objects and processes: for example, Amaterasu, the Sun goddess, or Mount Fuji. Shinto is an animistic belief system. The word Shinto, from the original Chinese Shendao, combines two kanji: "shin" (loanwords usually retain their Chinese pronunciation, hence shin not kami), meaning gods or spirits; and "to" , meaning a philosophical way or path (originally from the Chinese word dao). As such, Shinto is commonly translated as "The Way of the Gods." Some differences exist between koshinto (the ancient Shinto) and the many types of Shinto taught and practiced today, showing the influences of Buddhism when it was introduced into Japan in the sixth century.

The Japanese follow the beliefs of Shintoism and Buddhism. NOT Christianity, so no, Arceus is not god, but rather the creation spirit.

Last edited:

Murra Myrrh

First 5th Gen Shiny!
And now we are arguing the religion of...pokemon...OK.

Well, even though Arceus seems to be the 'god' of all Pokémon, that surely does not mean it is the end to the Pokémon franchise. I suspect that they will start to mimic other religions and myth, keep running as far as they can before they die. How much land does a man need?

Grass Guardian has a good point and probably has the strongest argument out of everyone here. And indeed, if they did make Arceus too much like the religious image they were aiming for, people would just go MAD. I personally wouldn't, but I know WAY too many people who would.
And as another note; most of the famous games, movies and books are based in religion. I mean, look at the Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings and Halo. I can keep the list going but I fear getting off topic. JUST because Pokémon is now starting to mimic Christian faith does NOT mean it's going to end now or soon. It will end, sure, as does everything, but it wont today, or tomorrow, so I don't see why everyone is getting all fussy about this. All you can do is sit back and relax and when it does finally end, just remember all the good times. And just because its going to be old does NOT mean you can't play it over and over again just to enjoy it. Heck, I still play the original Doom games for fun.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Question. Pokemon Platinum is the first Pokemon game to actually hit the almost 1,000,000 mark. HGSS I can see it surpassing that mark by a long shot. If they see that they can make that much money and more in just under a month why the hell stop there? Gamefreak right now is focusing on Pokemon and Pokemon alone. If your company depends on a series which is basically your money maker why stop.

Mankanshoku Mako

Creator of the universe doesn't automatically equate with "all powerful god". Besides, we've had tons of "god pokemon" before. I think gen 1 was the only games that didn't (the Birds aren't gods in gameverse).

Every ledendary is a god somehow. Only mew and arceus are in the "supreme ruler of all" status.

randomspot555

I personally wouldn't, but I know WAY too many people who would.

And how many of those are playing the games?

Pokémon is now starting to mimic Christian faith

It isn't.

Heck, I still play the original Doom games for fun.

Every summer I run through Doom II and try to find some new mods. One of the very few games that aged well, as far as I'm concerned.

Question. Pokemon Platinum is the first Pokemon game to actually hit the almost 1,000,000 mark. HGSS I can see it surpassing that mark by a long shot.

I remember hearing that FR/LG sales were lower than R/S. But maybe that's because FR/LG had to compete with Emerald. If Plat is given a good year or so to sell, maybe HG/SS won't "suffer" the same fate.

I mean either way, they'll sell tons. The only question is what strategy, as far as releasing and promoting the games, will net more sales.

If your company depends on a series which is basically your money maker why stop.

You don't want to release products too close together. You want to give it time, to promote and to sell, let it have the spotlight. Then shift the spotlight to the new releases, but keep the old ones in stock. Then abandon it completely by Gen 5, similarly to how GBA games can't be found anywhere except on used online stores, or $45 at Gamestop used (no, I'm not kidding).

Every ledendary is a god somehow. Only mew and arceus are in the "supreme ruler of all" status.

They aren't really. Only the Sinnoh are depicted as such, as Umbreon-dana wrote about. It's more so that Gen I's legends only had a very loose connection to the plot, whereas Gen III and IV (and a lesser extent, Gen 2) feature legendary Pokemon as plot devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.