• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

No

• No

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • NO!

Votes: 52 71.2%

• Total voters

DatsRight

This is probably a rather newbish question, but is there any benefit to a Pokemon with all Physical type attacks having a good Special Attack stat, or should I just devote it's EVs to the standard Attack stat?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
This is probably a rather newbish question, but is there any benefit to a Pokemon with all Physical type attacks having a good Special Attack stat, or should I just devote it's EVs to the standard Attack stat?
Not that I know of.

I think lower Attack will make Pokemon less susceptible to confusion and Foul Play damage. (I don't think it's that major though.)

cocomonpetitcoq

If you really don't plan on using any special move, then yes you don't need to have a good special attack and you can try to max out your attack instead.

slim95

Hey!
Pokemon white breeding question here. So after beating the game, i decided to get a larvitar. So long story short, i bred tons of pupitars, larvitars and dittos to get a larvitar with near perfect IVs.
So now the situation is, i have 2 female larvitars. 1 with all IVs in the range of 29-31, except for special attack, which is 0. and the other one with all IVs between 29-31, except for speed, which again is 0.
so i thought i should get some advice. should i continue experimenting and breed them a few more times or should i just keep one of these? Also, if i choose to keep one of these, which one would be a better choice?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Hey!
Pokemon white breeding question here. So after beating the game, i decided to get a larvitar. So long story short, i bred tons of pupitars, larvitars and dittos to get a larvitar with near perfect IVs.
So now the situation is, i have 2 female larvitars. 1 with all IVs in the range of 29-31, except for special attack, which is 0. and the other one with all IVs between 29-31, except for speed, which again is 0.
so i thought i should get some advice. should i continue experimenting and breed them a few more times or should i just keep one of these? Also, if i choose to keep one of these, which one would be a better choice?

What are their natures?

The one with 0 Special Attack is the better one with the information you have given, as Tyranitar's Attack is much better.

AmethystLeslie

Breed the Sp Atk one, until you get a Jolly/Adamant nature

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
As neither have very good natures I'd recommend you put a Destiny Knot on one and a Power item on the other and breeding them together until you get one with the nature you're looking for. Support Tyranitar generally wants a Relaxed nature, while Choice Band sets usually want Adamant. Choice Scarf and Dragon Dance sets want Jolly. Once you get one with the right nature, put an Everstone on it and breed it with the Larvitar holding the Destiny Knot until you get a Larvitar with the proper nature missing the IV that you don't need (for most cases this is Sp. Atk, if using a set that uses Ice Beam or Fire Blast then Speed would be the least important IV).

AmethystLeslie

As neither have very good natures I'd recommend you put a Destiny Knot on one and a Power item on the other and breeding them together until you get one with the nature you're looking for. Support Tyranitar generally wants a Relaxed nature, while Choice Band sets usually want Adamant. Choice Scarf and Dragon Dance sets want Jolly. Once you get one with the right nature, put an Everstone on it and breed it with the Larvitar holding the Destiny Knot until you get a Larvitar with the proper nature missing the IV that you don't need (for most cases this is Sp. Atk, if using a set that uses Ice Beam or Fire Blast then Speed would be the least important IV).

That won't help because Destiny Knot wouldn't gain its breeding effect until Gen 6. They're breeding in Gen 5. Also, in BW, Everstone has a 50% chance to pass down the nature of the holder.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Breed the Sp Atk one, until you get a Jolly/Adamant nature
I think it would depend on how perfect they would want one.

Lax isn't great, but it doesn't do anything too detrimental.

If he was going a more competitive route, than I would agree that he should get a better nature.

That said, Lax does nothing to capitalize on Tyranitar's strengths.

In competitive play, why do people use curse instead of bulk up?

Curse raises attack and defense but lowers speed, Bulk up raises attack and defense. Why do so many people use curse in competitive play instead of bulk up? I'm talking about pokemon who can learn bulk up but use curse instead. I'm sure theres a legitimate reason, and if not, can we discuss it?
BTW its been like 3 years since I've made a thread so sorry if I don't know the norms/which subforum to put this in

AmethystLeslie

If I had to guess, it could be something to do with availability. Most pokemon than can learn Curse can't learn Bulk Up, and vice versa.

Hell, from looking things up, the only pokemon that have both options are the Torchic, Slakoth, Tepig, and Chespin families, but those pokemon i just mentioned only get Curse via breeding, while Combusken, Blaziken and the entire Chespin family actually get Bulk Up by levelup.

Also, Trick Room and Gyro Ball are things that exist. The slower they are, they harder they fall.

Edit: After understanding your question more, I'd like to know which Pokemon you're talking about that run Curse instead of Bulk Up (if they can learn Bulk Up), because every pokemon I listed than can learn both are better off attempting to outspeed.

Last edited:

KillerDraco

Curse is a niche move, and nothing that uses Curse (viably) has access to Bulk Up. For example, the most common users of Curse, such as Snorlax, Tyranitar, Swampert, and Ferrothorn, do not have access to Bulk Up.

Slakoth / occasionally blaziken is the main thing I see. I did forget about trick room, thanks for reminding me, that could possibly be why.

KillerDraco

Slakoth / occasionally blaziken is the main thing I see. I did forget about trick room, thanks for reminding me, that could possibly be why.

Neither of those are viable. Blaziken wants its speed to go up, hence its Speed Boost ability. I'm assuming you mean Slaking, given Slakoth isn't useful in the Little Cup. But setting up period isn't viable for Slaking given Truant's loafing turns mean that you're easily phased out/set up on/outright KO'ed. Slaking generally uses Choice Items if it's being used at all, for a more hit-and-run approach to try and downplay the loafing turns. That's more of a case of bad players than Curse actually being a good idea.

Forbidden Snowflake

take it out on me
Could Axew be encountered in Connecting cave in a lower level than 8? i just received one that was originally caught at lev 2.

AmethystLeslie

Bulbapedia tells me no lower than 8.

Did you get it from Wonder Trade, or caught it? Anything else fishy? We have a Hack Check Thread in the Trade Forum.

AmethystLeslie

Gonna call that hacked. Level 2 Axew cannot be found in Connecting Cave.