• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

No

• No

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • NO!

Votes: 52 71.2%

• Total voters
This question is more for shiny hunters and I was wondering, if I hatch and obtain shinies from my brothers game and transfer it over to mine, would the shinies still be considered as my own Pokémon? It's a strange question, but the reason I ask is because I got my own strict rule of not counting any shinies traded from others as anything special, since I did not obtain it myself and the 'OT' would not state my own IGN.

Nanu

Sadman
This question is more for shiny hunters and I was wondering, if I hatch and obtain shinies from my brothers game and transfer it over to mine, would the shinies still be considered as my own Pokémon? It's a strange question, but the reason I ask is because I got my own strict rule of not counting any shinies traded from others as anything special, since I did not obtain it myself and the 'OT' would not state my own IGN.

I believe the OT would still be your brother's if you're transferring Pokemon over from his game. The ones I transferred from my XY game through Poke Bank still have the OT of that trainer. You did get the shinies yourself though, so the OT doesn't really matter. They're still technically "yours" since you did all the work. Although I guess it can't be helped if that's your own personal rule. (I would still consider them yours honestly.)

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Do most people get their specialbattle items through using thief and pick up? I lack good items for online battles like focus sash, the orbs, the vests, etc. Does anyone have any good advice for obtaining those besides trading? I like to do things within the game first if possible.

thesukh03

I believe the OT would still be your brother's if you're transferring Pokemon over from his game. The ones I transferred from my XY game through Poke Bank still have the OT of that trainer. You did get the shinies yourself though, so the OT doesn't really matter. They're still technically "yours" since you did all the work. Although I guess it can't be helped if that's your own personal rule. (I would still consider them yours honestly.)

EDIT: Didn't realise I made an alt that I posted through, this is still the same poster you've quoted.

I think I completely agree with you. I did after all still go through the tedious effort of hatching tons of eggs just to get the shiny, regardless of who's game it was on. Its just that I kind of saw the Pokemon I would obtain from my brothers game being the same as those I would get from say the GTS or Wonder Trade, in a sense that I didn't earn it myself since it was from another game even though I still caught/hatched it myself. I guess it's more relatable to say transferring my own shinies from say X/Y/OR/AS to S/M

Last edited:

BCVM22

This question is more for shiny hunters and I was wondering, if I hatch and obtain shinies from my brothers game and transfer it over to mine, would the shinies still be considered as my own Pokémon?

To people? Yes. You clearly did all the work. To the game? No, for what little that matters. The OT would be your brother's player name.

gliscor&yanmega

Do most people get their specialbattle items through using thief and pick up? I lack good items for online battles like focus sash, the orbs, the vests, etc. Does anyone have any good advice for obtaining those besides trading? I like to do things within the game first if possible.
Not sure how most people do it, but if you want to get them without trading or BP(You will have to do one eventually) then you can check on serebii for locations and other details. Don't think there is much for Pick Up though, so better to look at the held item page for SM. Also, leading with something that has Compound Eyes increases held item chance.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Not sure how most people do it, but if you want to get them without trading or BP(You will have to do one eventually) then you can check on serebii for locations and other details. Don't think there is much for Pick Up though, so better to look at the held item page for SM. Also, leading with something that has Compound Eyes increases held item chance.

thankyou! especially thankyou wow with your comment, I just looked up abilities with effects that are outside of battle, and there are quite a few I didn't know about! Like suction cups making fishing bites more common, static making electric pokemon appear more often, etc. wow!

Nanu

Sadman
I think I completely agree with you. I did after all still go through the tedious effort of hatching tons of eggs just to get the shiny, regardless of who's game it was on. Its just that I kind of saw the Pokemon I would obtain from my brothers game being the same as those I would get from say the GTS or Wonder Trade, in a sense that I didn't earn it myself since it was from another game even though I still caught/hatched it myself. I guess it's more relatable to say transferring my own shinies from say X/Y/OR/AS to S/M

I can understand that on a certain level. I've taken up the habit of naming all my trainers the same thing throughout the different versions so I'm not as bothered.

For the BP thing, right now I'm trying the Poke Bank method where you shove a bunch of fodder Pokemon into the boxes. The longer the Pokemon stays in there, the more Poke Miles you earn, which can then be converted over to Battle Points (10 Miles=1 BP). It's not super efficient, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to have it going while I do other things.

Hasty

Moonside
From where does Serebii get the info on the events? I checked Pokemon.com and PGL and couldn't find anything about the Mewtwo Mega Stones.

gliscor&yanmega

From where does Serebii get the info on the events? I checked Pokemon.com and PGL and couldn't find anything about the Mewtwo Mega Stones.
For the Mewtwo Mega Stones, possibly from Pokemon Japan twitter(They have something related to it at least).

tcadonau

Pokemon player from back in the day getting back in.

Hey everyone, Happy to be apart of this forum. I am a player from back when I was a kid. With sun and moon out and a hit from nostalgia I am back at playing the virtual consul pokemon blue on my 3ds. I have a few questions

I have figured out that to use my time efficiently I could play pokemon alpha sapphire and Y and then either sun or moon to catch up on the pokemon except a handful. has anyone else tried to catch up this way or do most people just grab the latest generation and work from there?

Hasty

Moonside
For the Mewtwo Mega Stones, possibly from Pokemon Japan twitter(They have something related to it at least).
Oh, I see. Thanks.
I checked and yes you're right the Japanese twitter mentions it and links to the official Japanese Pokemon website. The international Pokemon website and twitter put the info out as well now.

Hey everyone, Happy to be apart of this forum. I am a player from back when I was a kid. With sun and moon out and a hit from nostalgia I am back at playing the virtual consul pokemon blue on my 3ds. I have a few questions

I have figured out that to use my time efficiently I could play pokemon alpha sapphire and Y and then either sun or moon to catch up on the pokemon except a handful. has anyone else tried to catch up this way or do most people just grab the latest generation and work from there?
I think most people just grab a game of the latest generation, and I would suggest you the same. The latest games always have the most up-to-date content with new Pokemon, forms, mechanics, quality of life changes, etc. If you like what you see, you can go back to older titles.

Last edited:

AmethystLeslie

Oh, I see. Thanks.
I checked and yes you're right the Japanese twitter mentions it and links to the official Japanese Pokemon website. The international Pokemon website and twitter put the info out as well now.

I think most people just grab a game of the latest generation, and I would suggest you the same. The latest games always have the most up-to-date content with new Pokemon, forms, mechanics, quality of life changes, etc. If you like what you see, you can go back to older titles.

That's what I did when i got started, played the latest games (for me it was X at the time), and went back to older titles. At least with XYORAS, you still have some online features with little signs of it stopping.

Hasty

Moonside
Do the Jap 6th gen games have more fonts to use for writing the trainer's name than en regions?
Yes, approximately (more symbols but not more fonts). There is no difference in the games themselves no matter if it was bought in Japan, America, Europe or elsewhere since XY. Everyone can set the language of the game to Japanese, so people in Japan don't necessarily have more symbols to use than people from other regions... But, yes, if someone chose the Japanese language at the beginning of XY/ORAS/SM, they do have more symbols to use than others. The Japanese, Korean and both Chinese language sets include the Latin alphabet while the Japanese language also naturally has two different sets of "letters." The Japanese language set also has fullwidth Latin letters instead of the common halfwidth, that's why it may look different.

magtect

HGSS move tutor essentials

So I've been doing ALOT of breeding in sun and moon and I realize I hit the gold mine when I booted up my old HGSS. A bunch of apricot ball pokemon that I can transfer and breed.

Now one of the things I noticed when breeding some of the pokemon in sun and moon is that alot of their movesets are actually from move tutors from other games, namely HGSS. One instance being gunk shot, I've like never seen this move before but it's a really powerful poison move.

I was wondering if there are specific pokemon that are commonly bred on HGSS for the sole purpose of move tutors? And also if you move tutor it can you breed it as an egg move?

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Sucker Punch springs immediately to mind. Also of note is the fact that Defog isn't considered an HM move in HG/SS, so Pokémon that learn that move in D/P/P and are then traded to HG/SS can be transferred on without running afoul of the "no HMs" rule.

Gunk Shot has been a tutor move in all subsequent games (that have move tutors like that to begin with, anyway), so you don't need to go that far back for that one. And no, tutor moves can't be bred onto something unless they're also Egg moves or level-up moves for it.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Sucker Punch and Defog are actually the only relevant cases where you need to breed something in a Gen 4 game, though some Pokemon can get around Defog since it's now an egg move for a fair amount of them. That being said this doesn't need a thread to itself so I'm moving this to the questions thread in case you have further questions.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I bought a copy of SS online through ebay and it said was used and it was a great deal. It looks like it's a fake or something with the sticker and everything, although it plays normally and what not.

Do you know if there will be any way I can trade my pokemon from that game or are they doomed to stay there forever?