• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

No

• No

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • NO!

Votes: 52 71.2%

• Total voters

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Cubone was created before breeding existed. Just like Kangaskhan, their are obvious issues that pop up when you breed it that the designers never thought would be a problem when they first created the Pokemon. In cases like this we simply have to admit that what we see in the games is not a perfect reflection of how the actual Pokemon world would work, as gameplay limitations have to be taken into account.

Plus the Pokedex tends to make up stuff like Garchomp being able to fly. It doesn't make sense for all Cubone mothers to die from childbirth when Pokemon only lay one egg at a time, otherwise there'd be no way to sustain a Cubone population.

What are the chances of coming across a rare Poke Finder Pokemon?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Plus the Pokedex tends to make up stuff like Garchomp being able to fly. It doesn't make sense for all Cubone mothers to die from childbirth when Pokemon only lay one egg at a time, otherwise there'd be no way to sustain a Cubone population.

Who says that Garchomp can't fly? Just look at its appearances in the anime, and you can see that it clearly can fly. I wouldn't doubt Pokedex description unless there's a clear reason to, such as something as absurd as Magcargo being hotter than the Sun. The reason you bring up isn't necessarily that major of a reason to doubt the Pokedex description on Cubone. The Pokemon world is so different from the real world, you really can't say it be impossible to sustain a population by any means. Besides, when it comes to Cubone, we have two forms of proof. The skull on its head itself, and the Pokemon Tower story in Kanto games. We really can't deny that there is truth to that Pokedex description.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
How many years apart in the timeline are Gen I and VII?

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
How many years apart in the timeline are Gen I and VII?

Actual Dates? We don't know. As the the nearest we have to official time line is kinda thrown out of the window as, Wally kinda ruins this.

Red is about 11 in RBY/FRLG, and appears to be at least 20 and maybe 30 in Sun and Moon. We can make a guess that it's between 10 and 20 years.

The "official" time line we had RSE (and by extension ORAS) at the same time as RBY/FRLG. But with SM Wally looking almost exactly like his ORAS form, by going of the old time line he would be 20 to 30 like Red and Blue, but he doesn't look 20. (Cynthia get way with it, as she is at least 20, and it's at least 6 years later)

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Actual Dates? We don't know. As the the nearest we have to official time line is kinda thrown out of the window as, Wally kinda ruins this.

Red is about 11 in RBY/FRLG, and appears to be at least 20 and maybe 30 in Sun and Moon. We can make a guess that it's between 10 and 20 years.

The "official" time line we had RSE (and by extension ORAS) at the same time as RBY/FRLG. But with SM Wally looking almost exactly like his ORAS form, by going of the old time line he would be 20 to 30 like Red and Blue, but he doesn't look 20. (Cynthia get way with it, as she is at least 20, and it's at least 6 years later)

I really don't think we can take Wally's age as an indication of anything. Odds are they just didn't want to put the work in to redesign him, especially because they just had for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. It's the same as how Red and Blue seem to have aged so much between Gen I and Gen VII, and yet in Gen V's Pokemon World Tournament, they look exactly like they do in Gen I.

ben_saint

PKMN MSTR
Anyone know the math behind Affection benefits?

Specifically I'm wondering, what exactly are the chances of a pokemon with 3 or more affection hearts surviving a fatal blow with 1 hp. Bulbapedia and Serebii both say the chance goes up as Affection goes up, but I can't seem to find out what the actual formula is for determining the chance anywhere. Surely somebody must've looked into this before me?

Well, if anyone has any links or info on what the specific formulas are for determining the chances of Affection effects, I'd be really grateful.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
If a Cubone's parents are alive, why does it still have a skull? And how does it have a skull?
That's one of the oversights in Pokemon.

Personally, I use the headcanon that Cubone in an egg transports to the Marowak graveyard (mentioned in Pokedex entries), and then is born with a skull and bone.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
That's one of the oversights in Pokemon.

Personally, I use the headcanon that Cubone in an egg transports to the Marowak graveyard (mentioned in Pokedex entries), and then is born with a skull and bone.

Maybe it's the skull of one of their ancestors, passed down on the generations

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Maybe it's the skull of one of their ancestors, passed down on the generations

Assuming that the skull fuses to its head when it evolves, as is implied by Marowak's design, that seems unlikely.

Xenomata

MS Paint Sableye

Assuming that R/B/G/Y/FR/LG is year 1 of the pokemon world...

R/S/E happen at the same time as FR/LG

D/P/Pt and G/S/C/HG/SS happen 3 years ahead of year 1, with D/P/Pt happening a little later than HG/SS, making it year 4

B2/W2 happen 2 years ahead of B/W, which is the problem child, as they definitely happen ahead of year 4, but it is never specified how far ahead they are.

X/Y happen 2 years after B/W as well, so that happened at the same time as B2/W2.

Sun and Moon is not clear in how far ahead it is compared to any game, making the closest link we have Red and Blue.

So we have the confirmed passing of a minimum of 5 years, with an unknown gap of time between D/P/Pt and B/W. If Red and Blue are 10 years old in R/B/G/Y/FR/LG, and we apply some anime logic, in which 18 year olds usually have the appearance of early 20s to mid 20s, then I'd place their age around 18 or 19 in S/M, which would put about 4 years in the unknown time gaps.

...I didn't help did I?

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Assuming that R/B/G/Y/FR/LG is year 1 of the pokemon world...

R/S/E happen at the same time as FR/LG

D/P/Pt and G/S/C/HG/SS happen 3 years ahead of year 1, with D/P/Pt happening a little later than HG/SS, making it year 4

B2/W2 happen 2 years ahead of B/W, which is the problem child, as they definitely happen ahead of year 4, but it is never specified how far ahead they are.

X/Y happen 2 years after B/W as well, so that happened at the same time as B2/W2.

Sun and Moon is not clear in how far ahead it is compared to any game, making the closest link we have Red and Blue.

So we have the confirmed passing of a minimum of 5 years, with an unknown gap of time between D/P/Pt and G/S/C/HG/SS. If Red and Blue are 10 years old in R/B/G/Y/FR/LG, and we apply some anime logic, in which 18 year olds usually have the appearance of early 20s to mid 20s, then I'd place their age around 18 or 19 in S/M, which would put about 4 years in the unknown time gaps.

...I didn't help did I?

To add to analysis, we do have one hint for how long there is between Diamond/Pearl (or at least Platinum) and Black/White, as we see the character Caitlin in both, as she appears in the Battle Castle in the Sinnoh Battle Frontier and as a member of the Unova Elite Four. In Platinum she looks to be a child, perhaps the age of a playable character, while in Black and White she has visibly aged to an adult, so there's probably somewhere between 5-10 years between the games. It's not super helpful, but it is worth noting when analyzing the timeline.

Xenomata

MS Paint Sableye
To add to analysis, we do have one hint for how long there is between Diamond/Pearl (or at least Platinum) and Black/White, as we see the character Caitlin in both, as she appears in the Battle Castle in the Sinnoh Battle Frontier and as a member of the Unova Elite Four. In Platinum she looks to be a child, perhaps the age of a playable character, while in Black and White she has visibly aged to an adult, so there's probably somewhere between 5-10 years between the games. It's not super helpful, but it is worth noting when analyzing the timeline.

Caitlin appears to be 14 in D/P/Pt, while her age in B/W is anywhere between 17-27. I'd put it to be 18 just to put her at a "legal" age of adulthood.

My source for all this, Bulbapedia, also lists Red's age during B2/W2 anywhere between 19-29. Since he still appears quite young, I'd say he is more in the younger ballpark. It also says he is anywhere between 21-31 in S/M, which would put a 2 year time gap between B2/W2 and S/M.

AmethystLeslie

I always thought Caitlin didn't look anything below 20.

Houka

Don't we love japan screwed time frames? Anime tend to have older people looking like teens most of the time, when the older seem more toward 50's or so. So it become hard to place age on some of these due to that issue. Also keep in mind that adult hood in Japan is younger then here (16 I think).

Forbidden Snowflake

take it out on me
Could the eternal floette be obtained through the xy storyline?

AmethystLeslie

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Caitlin appears to be 14 in D/P/Pt, while her age in B/W is anywhere between 17-27. I'd put it to be 18 just to put her at a "legal" age of adulthood.

My source for all this, Bulbapedia, also lists Red's age during B2/W2 anywhere between 19-29. Since he still appears quite young, I'd say he is more in the younger ballpark. It also says he is anywhere between 21-31 in S/M, which would put a 2 year time gap between B2/W2 and S/M.

I looked over those Bulbapedia pages, and with the exception of Caitlin's age in Platinum, they don't list any sources on any of those names. I'd like to know how they came up with those numbers.