1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Pokemon Questions Thread Again!

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Profesco, Aug 7, 2010.

?

No

1. No

24 vote(s)
    55.8%
  2. NO!

27 vote(s)
    62.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Fayh

Fayh Well-Known Member

This is highly subjective.
    Many people will argue that the latest game will always have the "best" gameplay and mechanics.

I disagree though. I definitely prefer ORAS to Sun/Moon.
    In my opinion, ORAS had a way better story.
    The NPCs in Sun/Moon were very unlikeable to me. By the end of the game, I got SO annoyed by the endless boring cutscenes that kept dragging on and on that I was close to just shutting the game off and never touching it again.

Sun/Moon are also very easy. It's impossible to do any discovering on your own because the map and NPCs will take your hand and guide you through the whole game. It's quite frustrating.

Also, Alola in Sun/Moon didn't really feel like a "proper" Pokémon region to me. There were only very few towns and I felt like I had seen everything within a few hours.
    Hoenn in ORAS is definitely the more refined and diverse region and it feels a lot more complete.

The trial mechanic in Sun/Moon is a fun gimmick but if you want to get the "real" Pokémon feeling, I feel like you should play a game that has gyms.

In my opinion:
    Get Sun/Moon if you want:
    - a very easy game
    - the latest Pokémon
    - the latest online events
    - the "best" graphics
    - trainer customization

Get ORAS if you want:
    - the "typical Pokémon game feeling" to judge whether you like the usual gameplay of Pokémon games in general
    - to catch many legendaries
    - to play a classic plot (since it's a remake with some elements from one of the best games in the Pokémon franchise: Emerald)
    - a "proper" region with beautifully designed towns

In the end though, I honestly recommend getting a game of both generations.

And if I were 100% honest, I'd say get one game for every single generation of Pokémon (Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, SS or HG, B or W, B2 or W2, X or Y, OR or AS and Sun or Moon) but I guess that's not an option for you right now. ;)

2. AmethystLeslie

AmethystLeslie Well-Known Member

Like I said, I've never seen one from an illegal region, like a Zekrom from Sinnoh. I have no idea if the hacking software people use allows them to do that.

Pokeballs, i can understand, like if a mod of the game allows them to get any pokemon with any ball, cuz they're in the games' files. You may have to ask an actual hacker if it's possible for a pokemon to come from an illegal region.

3. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

most people are probably using PKSM, which is, among other things, a complete hex editor

I doubt most people are aware of what region corresponds to what value on bytes 0xDA and 0xDB, and chances are those values will never be changed

4. Forbidden Snowflake

Forbidden Snowflake take it out on me

I meant for language region; that it would have the GER sign when it's not really from a German game for instance

5. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

6. AmethystLeslie

Oh, that's legal and legit. The game never cares if, for example, a Japanese copy is playing in English, since you get to choose your language at the start of the game.

7. Forbidden Snowflake

Forbidden Snowflake take it out on me

If a Jap game is played in English, which region would it appear to come from for someone else if he/she receives mons from that player?

8. AmethystLeslie

The pokemon would be English, even if they get on Wonder Trade with someone from Japan, or an American, or anybody that has a Japanese game.

9. I Pink Elephant

I Pink Elephant Shiny Hunter

What are the chances of finding an Eon Ticket via Streetpass nowadays in ORSA? Long story short I did have the Eon ticket on both games thanks to a past code, and then my brothers dog decided to chew up OR. I have only just managed to replace it, but now I have no Eon Ticket, so Streetpass is my only change.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  10. Mr. Reloaded

Mr. Reloaded At this point, who knows?

It's gonna be tough given how old the game is, especially depending on where you live. Your best bet would be to wander around a mall in hopes you get something.

11. Nutter t.KK

Nutter t.KK can Mega Evolve!

The good news is that some players are still sharing them when they go out. (Such as myself.) The issue is that many Streetpass relays are being removed. But If you can find one, you visit it every few days and make sure you look in to a few Streetpass groups in your area. As you live in the UK, GAME should be still offering Streetpass relay points, so you may find a few new streetpasses there.

If you have a Eon ticket on one game, and two 3DSes, you should try getting the games to street pass between themselves. This is what I did, as I managed to get my 2DS's AS a eon ticket without leaving the house.

12. I Pink Elephant

I never thought of that! Just tried it with my old 3DS, and it worked! Thank you so much! If I manage to get a shiny Latias, I will name it Nutter :p

13. I Pink Elephant

OK, a weird thing has happened since I did the Eon Ticket thing yesterday. Basically, I cannot use the portals to find any Legendary Pokemon. I go up to them and all it says is something like 'There is a mysterious portal...' and thats it! I was hunt for Mesprit when it happened, but its happening for them all. I have defeated the E4 again to no avail. Have I bugged the game out somehow? :(

Edit: Panic over, they are back now... but where did they go? :eek:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  14. dirkac

dirkac I smash your Boxes.

The portals appear but don't give anything if certain prerequisites have not been met.

For instance, Mesprit iirc only appears during certain times of the day. The portal will always be there, but Mesprit will not come out of the portal unless it is those specific times of day.

15. Houka

Houka Well-Known Member

I have two question today.

1. Is Magearna available anymore, I've never use the AR system and have no idea if they expire.

2. How does teh trading forums work I've tried and got no response so I assume I did something wrong can any give me some kinda of ground in that area on how it works.

16. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

http://www.serebii.net/events/dex/801.shtml

There is no listed end date for the American and European QR codes for the event.

The trading forums work like any other part of the forum. If you request a trade in an appropriate thread and no one bites, there's not really anything you can do but be patient. Rather than double-posting, you could re-submit your request by deleting and re-posting your original request after enough time has passed.

17. Houka

Houka Well-Known Member

If that's the case then what is the Pokemon families thread are for? That's kinda where I posted thinking that is likely where to ask for said Pokemon.

18. AmethystLeslie

Just for offering or requesting pokemon of their respective families.

19. Pidgeyote

Pidgeyote Pokemon Master

Its been a few days, when are they going to release more info about ultrasun and ultramoon?

20. Nutter t.KK

Nutter t.KK can Mega Evolve!

We don't actually know when exactly.

Nintendo has announced a "Nintendo Direct" like event tomorrow and it being followed by series of Treehouse videos. We don't know which games are being shown when, however Pokémon USUM could be shown during the time.