• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

No

• No

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • NO!

Votes: 52 71.2%

• Total voters

RedJirachi

Veteran member
If a Pokemon gets paralysis while using a multi-attack thanks to Static, how does that affect the rest of the move?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
If a Pokemon gets paralysis while using a multi-attack thanks to Static, how does that affect the rest of the move?
Unless I'm missing something, I don't think it affects the duration of the move.

Eeveon1316

Not entirely sure if this is the right place to ask, but are there any hidden abilities that are available ONLY via virtual console transfer from the gen 1 and gen 2 games? Could anyone maybe point me toward a list of which abilities are exclusive to which VC game? I've been trying to Google it, but I just keep getting movesets and tutorials about natures.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Not entirely sure if this is the right place to ask, but are there any hidden abilities that are available ONLY via virtual console transfer from the gen 1 and gen 2 games? Could anyone maybe point me toward a list of which abilities are exclusive to which VC game? I've been trying to Google it, but I just keep getting movesets and tutorials about natures.
Most of the HA Pokémon where released as part of Gen 5's Dream World, which shut down over 5 years ago, so many of them were only available as children of those Gen 5 Pokémon. From Bulbasaur to Celebi, only 15 Pokémon that HAS a hidden Ability had not been released until the the Virtual console release and Bank update. They are Legendary Bird Trio, All 9 Johto starters and The Legendary Beast Trio. Please note Pokemon such as the Kanto Starters where event Pokémon only, and arguably could be added to that list.

Hidden abilities are locked to a particular Pokémon, for example all HA Kanto Vulpix have Drought. You can't give a Chamander Drought, it can only have Blaze or it's HA Solar Power.

As for a list of which Pokemon that are exclusive, We have two:

https://www.serebii.net/rb/exclusives.shtml
https://www.serebii.net/gs/exclusives.shtml

When Transferred they will be using their HA if the Species has a HA. If a evolution has a HA but a member of it's line doesn't, they evolution will get their respective HA, not a Standard ability. For example: Kakuna does not have a HA, but the Beedrill that evovlved from a Gen 1 Kakuna will have Sniper.

Eeveon1316

Most of the HA Pokémon where released as part of Gen 5's Dream World, which shut down over 5 years ago, so many of them were only available as children of those Gen 5 Pokémon. From Bulbasaur to Celebi, only 15 Pokémon that HAS a hidden Ability had not been released until the the Virtual console release and Bank update. They are Legendary Bird Trio, All 9 Johto starters and The Legendary Beast Trio. Please note Pokemon such as the Kanto Starters where event Pokémon only, and arguably could be added to that list.

Hidden abilities are locked to a particular Pokémon, for example all HA Kanto Vulpix have Drought. You can't give a Chamander Drought, it can only have Blaze or it's HA Solar Power.

As for a list of which Pokemon that are exclusive, We have two:

https://www.serebii.net/rb/exclusives.shtml
https://www.serebii.net/gs/exclusives.shtml

When Transferred they will be using their HA if the Species has a HA. If a evolution has a HA but a member of it's line doesn't, they evolution will get their respective HA, not a Standard ability. For example: Kakuna does not have a HA, but the Beedrill that evovlved from a Gen 1 Kakuna will have Sniper.

I remember Dream World. I think I still have a box in my Pokémon Bank labelled DWF.

What I'm specifically interested in is HA Pokémon that are available via transfer from VC, but not by any other current means. Meaning they don't appear in the Hidden Grottos, can't be caught in Dream Radar, can't be encountered in SOS Battles, and aren't available with their HA through any other regular gameplay. (I would count Friend Safari, but that depends on finding someone with the right Pokémon and it's nearly unusable anymore since everyone has moved on to Gen 7.)

Sounds like the legendary birds from both generations, the legendary beasts, and the starters are the Pokémon of interest. Basically I'm trying to decide if I need to buy more than one of the VC games from each generation. I seem to recall Yellow would let you get all three Kanto starters. Can you get the other Johto starters in Gold and Silver without resetting the game? Is Crystal expected to come to 3DS anytime soon?

Forbidden Snowflake

take it out on me
Do USUM offer any new features to do unvoiced chats more conveniently with other players?

BCVM22

I seem to recall Yellow would let you get all three Kanto starters.

Because Yellow was a quick repurposing of the existing Red/Green/Blue template meant to loosely emulate the anime, where Ash started with a Pikachu and then came by the three designated starters later on. So the answer to your next question is...

Can you get the other Johto starters in Gold and Silver without resetting the game?

...no. As breeding does exist in Generation II, you could obtain bred babies of the other two starters in trade, but you'd need someone locally for that. If you want all three starters solely working alone, you'd have to buy a second Virtual Console game, start a new file, and do so repeatedly until you had the starters you needed.

Is Crystal expected to come to 3DS anytime soon?

The answer to this question is also no.

Last edited:

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
I remember Dream World. I think I still have a box in my Pokémon Bank labelled DWF.

What I'm specifically interested in is HA Pokémon that are available via transfer from VC, but not by any other current means. Meaning they don't appear in the Hidden Grottos, can't be caught in Dream Radar, can't be encountered in SOS Battles, and aren't available with their HA through any other regular gameplay. (I would count Friend Safari, but that depends on finding someone with the right Pokémon and it's nearly unusable anymore since everyone has moved on to Gen 7.)

Sounds like the legendary birds from both generations, the legendary beasts, and the starters are the Pokémon of interest. Basically I'm trying to decide if I need to buy more than one of the VC games from each generation. I seem to recall Yellow would let you get all three Kanto starters. Can you get the other Johto starters in Gold and Silver without resetting the game? Is Crystal expected to come to 3DS anytime soon?

To obtain all Pokémon from Gen 1 & 2, you'll need Red, Blue, Gold and Silver, possibly spread across two 3DSes. And No, you need to at least one reset of Gold or Silver to get all the Johto starters. We have no idea if or when Crystal is going to appear on the 3DS eShop. If we knew, it would be on the main site.

You may need to your own research with Pokedex. At least, Bulbapedia as three lists on where you can obtain each HA:
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/...with_released_Hidden_Abilities_(Generation_V)
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/...ith_released_Hidden_Abilities_(Generation_VI)

RedJirachi

Veteran member
How will EXP be divided in Gen 4 if two Pokemon are holding an EXP share?

AmethystLeslie

To go back to obtaining Gen 2 starters, there is a glitch you can do that you can obtain all three starters around the beginning of the game. The glitch's effect is that it won't recognize the other 2 starters as "owned" or "seen" (the one starter that neither you or your rival have), but you do have them.

I doubt it if they can be migrated since they were obtained via a glitch, so i evolved mine to be safe, and bred them with a Ditto, so the Dex actually registers it. This is not the most legit way to obtain all 3 starters, but you do legally own them, and an option that exists if you REALLY don't want to reset the game to have the last one.

Eeveon1316

To obtain all Pokémon from Gen 1 & 2, you'll need Red, Blue, Gold and Silver, possibly spread across two 3DSes. And No, you need to at least one reset of Gold or Silver to get all the Johto starters. We have no idea if or when Crystal is going to appear on the 3DS eShop. If we knew, it would be on the main site.

You may need to your own research with Pokedex. At least, Bulbapedia as three lists on where you can obtain each HA:
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/...with_released_Hidden_Abilities_(Generation_V)
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/...ith_released_Hidden_Abilities_(Generation_VI)

Yeah, I have a living dex. I don't need every Pokémon. I'm just trying to figure out which hidden abilities are only available through transfer from the VC games and no other current way.

To go back to obtaining Gen 2 starters, there is a glitch you can do that you can obtain all three starters around the beginning of the game. The glitch's effect is that it won't recognize the other 2 starters as "owned" or "seen" (the one starter that neither you or your rival have), but you do have them.

I doubt it if they can be migrated since they were obtained via a glitch, so i evolved mine to be safe, and bred them with a Ditto, so the Dex actually registers it. This is not the most legit way to obtain all 3 starters, but you do legally own them, and an option that exists if you REALLY don't want to reset the game to have the last one.

I'm not strictly opposed to do doing that, but do you have to reach a certain point in-game before you can use the PokéTransporter? I'm thinking I'll just clear the game, bank everything I care about, then reset, get the next starter, get to the first Pokémon center, bank it, and reset again for the third starter.

Last edited:

MiloticTwins

A Tail of Greninja?

Please take a look at this part of Greninja circled around the red stroke by clicking on a link below:
Is_This_a_Tail_of_Greninja.jpg
So, is this Greninja's tail or what? What do you guys think?

BCVM22

Yes, it's a tail. Some species of frog have small vestigial tails as remnants from their development through the tadpole phase.

shadowF

Hey everyone, so I am thinking of getting Pokemon Ultra Sun but I already have Pokemon Sun. So I am thinking of trading Pokemon Sun for Pokemon Moon and then getting Pokemon Ultra Sun so I can get all the exclusives. Does anyone know the best place to trade Pokemon Sun for Pokemon Moon? Like any game stores or something?

BCVM22

Do trading from the ultras to s/m require migration or normal method?

You can trade normally between the two.

Does anyone know the best place to trade Pokemon Sun for Pokemon Moon? Like any game stores or something?

No store will let you do a 1:1 trade like that - it doesn't work that way. The closest you can come is trading in your used game for store credit and then putting that towards a different purchase.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Question about the cloth item "Hero Cap" (aka Alolan Ash's cap):

Serebii lists it as a Ultra Sun exclusive but can we get it on Ultra Moon? Tried to see if I could get it earlier via Festival Plaza but the avatars keep telling "it's not easy to get this item".

Does anyone here with Ultra Moon tried getting this item?

Thanks in advance!

Forbidden Snowflake

take it out on me
You can trade normally between the two.

No store will let you do a 1:1 trade like that - it doesn't work that way. The closest you can come is trading in your used game for store credit and then putting that towards a different purchase.

TA
How many letters could be used for the player's name on usum?