• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

No

• No

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • NO!

Votes: 52 71.2%

• Total voters

Akashin

So I'm confused on this question, is Delphox Mahoxy or Mafoxy? I'm trying to put the Japanese Pokemon names in Romanized form in Alphabetical Order but I'm not sure which spelling is correct for Delphox's Latin Lettered Japanese name.

Besides what BCVM22 said, it's worth noting that the フ in Delphox's name means 'fu' (though I did see mention of it meaning 'hu' as well), and when combined with ォ creates 'fo', leading me to believe Mafoxy seems more correct. With that said, I'm sure people far more knowledgeable of the language than I am were behind the idea that it's Mahoxy. Nevertheless, make of that what you will.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
フ is, indeed "fu". I've never heard of it being used as "hu" though.

Also マフォクシー is indeed "Mafoxy" (though it's spelled as something like "Mafokushii").

The world play combining "Mahou" and "Fox" is very clear as フ is part of the "Hagyo" family

Rune Knight

How do pokémon know when they're going to be called out? I recall that there was a particular episode of B&W anime where Lenora used roar on Ash's Tepig, switching it out for Oshawott who was still sleeping likely because Ash did not plan on using Oshawott for that particular battle.

So how do pokémon know when they're meant to be on standby? I mean they can't be on alert all the time or can they? It's just a fun in-universe thing to think about.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
How do pokémon know when they're going to be called out? I recall that there was a particular episode of B&W anime where Lenora used roar on Ash's Tepig, switching it out for Oshawott who was still sleeping likely because Ash did not plan on using Oshawott for that particular battle.

So how do pokémon know when they're meant to be on standby? I mean they can't be on alert all the time or can they? It's just a fun in-universe thing to think about.
I’m thinking it’s the same mysterious force that cause Metronome to randomly make things happen and Assist choose a random move from a Trainer’s Pokemon team.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
フ is, indeed "fu". I've never heard of it being used as "hu" though.

Also マフォクシー is indeed "Mafoxy" (though it's spelled as something like "Mafokushii").

The world play combining "Mahou" and "Fox" is very clear as フ is part of the "Hagyo" family
The "hu" pronunciation is probably from a translation chain with Korean.

You white out and go back and Lysandre I guess, being the procrastinator and having the Dory short-term memory loss he has challenges you again and is not one step closer to rewriting humanity... how convenient
Doesn't Lysandre's plan differ between versions? I thought in X his plan was to make Team Flare immortal while I know in Y it's to kill everyone who isn't Team Flare.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The "hu" pronunciation is probably from a translation chain with Korean.

Not familiar que Korean language but I wouldn't doubt that's indeed the case.

Doesn't Lysandre's plan differ between versions? I thought in X his plan was to make Team Flare immortal while I know in Y it's to kill everyone who isn't Team Flare.

Yup, that was pretty much it.

Akashin

His claim at the end of using what little power remains of the Ultimate Weapon differs between versions, but I don't believe the initially stated intent of using it to reduce population does. Forcing immortality on humanity is the exact opposite of what Lysandre wants, regardless of version.

Rune Knight

I have even more fun questions which I hope is not a problem. Feel free to delete this if it is.

1. Do pokémon instinctively know what a pokéball is?

2. How is a pokémon officially released by its trainer?

I recall an episode of the anime where Dawn tried to catch Ash's Pikachu, but it didn't work since it already had a trainer, so even though they were separated for a while it still officially belonged to Ash.

Last edited:

Orphalesion

Wait, I thougth Lysandre wanted to kill everybody who isn't team Flare And make himself and Team Flare immortal in both X and Y.
I played Y and I sure remember him prattling on about eternal youth all the time, like when he uses that in his attempt to get Diantha on his side, telling her that if she stayed young forever she'd always be a star and get the best roles, and she dismisses him saying she's looking forward to play different types of roles as she ages.

Akashin

I have even more fun questions which I hope is not a problem. Feel free to delete this if it is.

1. Do pokémon instinctively know what a pokéball is?

2. How is a pokémon officially released by its trainer?

I recall an episode of the anime where Dawn tried to catch Ash's Pikachu, but it didn't work since it already had a trainer, so even though they were separated for a while it still officially belonged to Ash.

Regarding releasing Pokemon, my best guess for the way it works is that the pokeball they belong to needs to be destroyed. I like the anime's depiction of why catching owned Pokemon fails, and my idea has always been that once a Pokemon is caught it is linked to its pokeball (which I assume is linked to the Trainer via their Trainer ID), and that they're not truly free until that link is broken.

As for whether or not they know what a pokeball is, it's up in the air, but I suspect at least the smarter Pokemon do. I can't imagine Legendaries challenge you without knowing that being captured is the end result, at least not the ones where you're forced to capture them.

Rune Knight

Regarding releasing Pokemon, my best guess for the way it works is that the pokeball they belong to needs to be destroyed. I like the anime's depiction of why catching owned Pokemon fails, and my idea has always been that once a Pokemon is caught it is linked to its pokeball (which I assume is linked to the Trainer via their Trainer ID), and that they're not truly free until that link is broken.

As for whether or not they know what a pokeball is, it's up in the air, but I suspect at least the smarter Pokemon do. I can't imagine Legendaries challenge you without knowing that being captured is the end result, at least not the ones where you're forced to capture them.

I like this idea. I think that it's the most feasible.

There was another episode in XY where they were at the Pokeball Factory and TR managed to separate Pikachu from the others. Meowth constantly kept trying to capture Pikachu with different pokeballs but wasn't able to land one.

Would it have even worked in the first place?

The problem with this is how Paul was releasing Pokemon. He never destroyed the Starlys' or Chimchar's pokeballs, yet they were still released.

Rune Knight

The problem with this is how Paul was releasing Pokemon. He never destroyed the Starlys' or Chimchar's pokeballs, yet they were still released.

One could say it happened offscreen is what I'm thinking. I think further evidence is that when trading, they don't trade pokeballs, instead they just transfer the pokemon that are in them into the ones that they already own.

But wait, would this mean that if someone managed to get a hold a trainer's pokeball they'd gain ownership over that pokemon?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Rune Knight said:
I think further evidence is that when trading, they don't trade pokeballs, instead they just transfer the pokemon that are in them into the ones that they already own.

The anime is inconsistent with that since the Monster Balls (Poke Balls) during the trade in EP015 were physically swapped with each other when placed on the trade machine, and there might've been other instances of that in several of the older episodes that I don't remember fully.

In any case, I really dislike the blue light release method that was invented in the DP saga, because it simply called into question whether or not Satoshi's (Ash's) old released Pokemon were legitimately released or not.

Rune Knight

The anime is inconsistent with that since the Monster Balls (Poke Balls) during the trade in EP015 were physically swapped with each other when placed on the trade machine, and there might've been other instances of that in several of the older episodes that I don't remember fully.

In any case, I really dislike the blue light release method that was invented in the DP saga, because it simply called into question whether or not Satoshi's (Ash's) old released Pokemon were legitimately released or not.

Sorry, what's the blue light release method?

Rune Knight

I was referring to when Shinji (Paul) would release Pokemon in the DP saga: a blue light would surround the Pokemon that he was releasing when he'd send them out of their Monster Balls (Poke Balls) for the last time.

Ah okay, not as familiar with the DP series.

Probably just some temporary re-write since I don't recall it happening when Ash said goodbye to Greninja.

Akashin

It is entirely possible that the method of release is somehow 'breaking' the link between the Pokemon and the pokeball, as this situation would indicate. It doesn't contradict the overarching idea that so long as a Pokemon is 'owned', it is tied to a given pokeball, and others would therefore fail against it (excusing situations like the balls in Mewtwo Strikes Back, which by design circumvent that).

Ah okay, not as familiar with the DP series.

Probably just some temporary re-write since I don't recall it happening when Ash said goodbye to Greninja.

In Greninja's case, wasn't there a scene showing that Ash still had its pokeball? In any event, I don't think Greninja is any more released than Charizard was; it's just not in a fixed location to be called upon from. It was ceremonially released, but it is still owned by Ash and in theory could reunite with and rejoin him.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
In Greninja's case, wasn't there a scene showing that Ash still had its pokeball?

The scene would be in the first episode of the Sun and Moon series. There's a flashback showing how Ash, his mom Delia and the family's Mr. Mime got into Alola. There it shows them winning tickets for the trip and then Ash leaving five pokéballs with Oak. People assume those are the Kalos team's pokéballs though there wasn't neither confirmation nor denial of that being the case.