• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

No

• No

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • NO!

Votes: 52 71.2%

• Total voters

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
EV-training can begin at any time, as long as it hasn't obtained any EXP from battling, or if it has, you've reduced the points to zero with the EV-reducing Berries. (EXP through the Day Care Center, Rare Candies, or the Pokéwalker don't contribute any points, so they're okay to use.)

A common mistake people make is that they think EV-training begins when they want it to begin. No, the game doesn't read your mind--the moment the Pokémon gets EXP from battling, it gets Effort Points, whether you want it to or not.

Some Wi-Fi battling indeed bring your Pokémon up to Level 100. Some people use this as testing grounds to determine precise IVs.

crash!201

Logic Trainer
ok so im not sure if this question belongs ere but im just gonna go with it. i was thinking about getting eathe of the black or white japanese versions. only thing is itd be my first japanese buy and im alittle unsure how it would work out. any suggestions?

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
I have looked at several videos and guides on how to ev train, and I often in these guides see people training pokemon that have already evolved. Should you ev train before or after a pokemon has fully evolved? I would think you should start at lv. 1 so they can get as many level ups as possible.
It doesn't matter when you start or at which evolution stage the Pokémon is at. I personally prefer to train evolved Pokémon at higher levels if possible because they can defeat the opponents which give them the required EVs much more easily, but you might like to do it at lower levels to just have it done with quickly. Just remember that if you're breeding, training at higher levels isn't always an option.

Also, do certain wifi battles automatically put your pokemon at lv 100? I heard someone mention that before.

Yes, but they do not stay that way. They will revert once the battle is done.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
ok so im not sure if this question belongs ere but im just gonna go with it. i was thinking about getting eathe of the black or white japanese versions. only thing is itd be my first japanese buy and im alittle unsure how it would work out. any suggestions?

Play Asia is probably your best bet.

It's very reliable and efficient.

Good question, should be in the questions thread; Not sure I'm guessing Serebii assumed that he can learn it because he knows the Rock Head ability and no one has noticed it to correct him :/ or maybe he can and I just don't know how...but good catch if he can't

Charaligatr

The Secret Rascal
It can learn it via move tutor in FRLG, Emerald and XD.

Mystery solved.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
thanks a bunch. but 1 more question. is the japanese thing generaly a huge isue. cuz like im pretty rusty..like onlly know a few words..

That kinda depends on you. I wouldn't want to play in Japanese because I don't understand any of it, and I'd rather wait to enjoy it fully. It's definitely possible to play the game, but it's annoying too, so you may not like it =/

crash!201

Logic Trainer
That kinda depends on you. I wouldn't want to play in Japanese because I don't understand any of it, and I'd rather wait to enjoy it fully. It's definitely possible to play the game, but it's annoying too, so you may not like it =/

thanks again!! yeah i think ill just wait.

Crazy_Possum

If I use a "Power" item, such as the Power Band, will my Pokemon's speed be decreased only in the context of the battle, or will the stat not increase as much when I level up?

Ryuken

Steel User
The stat is the one that is not going to increase

Crazy_Possum

Ok. So, is there a catch to the Power Anklet? It says it lowers and raises speed.

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
^ It raises Speed indirectly; at the end of each battle, you will be provided with an additional 4 EVs allocated to the Spe stat, which equates to a single stat point by the time you have reached Lv 100. During the battle, your Spe is temporarily reduced.

Edit: Goddamn Ninjas.

Crazy_Possum

Thanks ninjas and Blue Rabbits!

Ryuken

Steel User
Is there a pokemon with decent speed and high defense/sp defense?

Profesco

gone gently
Is there a pokemon with decent speed and high defense/sp defense?

Uxie fits the bill perfectly. 130 in both defenses, and 95 speed. Lugia also works if you're looking at the big leagues.