• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

No

• No

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • NO!

Votes: 52 71.2%

• Total voters

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
This isn't actually true. Hacking a game can't magically make stuff appear that doesn't otherwise exist within the game. Yes, you can get Pokemn with illegal abilities. But you can't MAKE UP YOUR OWN ABILITY and give it to a Pokemon. In a similar fashion, if a Pokemon didn't have a shiny sprite programmed into the game, there'd be nothing to hack. It'd be a code that did nothing. Might freeze the game but power off and back on and all would be fine.

That being said, I'd guess (I'm not a game researcher myself so this is just theory) that a Pokemon's data structure REQUIRES a shiny sprite as part of it.

That's a good point. I don't know much about hacking the DS games - my knowledge of hacking hallows back to the days of Red and Blue, when screwing around with the coding and trying to create something that doesn't exist would REALLY bug up your game and make strange and funny things happen, and sometimes render it completely unplayable. I have no idea if that's how it works with DS games (I assume it doesn't do that, according to what you said). I was just theorizing.

I also think that you're probably right about the data structure - I would also be willing to bet that the game requires a shiny sprite for every Pokémon.

cmats4020

BCVM22

Yes, when they became known a month ago. The discussion entailed explaining that these were trademarked names but weren't attached to products yet, some random speculation occurred and then mercifully people moved on until we actually get something to discuss.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
This isn't actually true. Hacking a game can't magically make stuff appear that doesn't otherwise exist within the game. Yes, you can get Pokemn with illegal abilities. But you can't MAKE UP YOUR OWN ABILITY and give it to a Pokemon. In a similar fashion, if a Pokemon didn't have a shiny sprite programmed into the game, there'd be nothing to hack. It'd be a code that did nothing. Might freeze the game but power off and back on and all would be fine.

That being said, I'd guess (I'm not a game researcher myself so this is just theory) that a Pokemon's data structure REQUIRES a shiny sprite as part of it.

Well, what you said technically is possible, albeit only by editing pre-existant Abilities and Sprites.

But, actually, a Pokémon doesn't need a seperate Shiny Sprite, as it could be a simple copy of the original sprite, it however does need to exist.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
It could be a gimmick that would relate to something like a movie in pokemon X and Y.
Just like how we got the crown beast for pokemon Black and White.

.....except that Japan of all places didn't get the Shiny Creation Trio event, so it is extremely unlikely that the Shiny Creation Trio will actually do something in X/Y.

Also, the Crown Beasts are distributed in a Wi-Fi event, so that everyone can enjoy the in-game event. The Creation Trio dragons are distributed in an in-store event, implying that it is not that important because there's no in-game event that requires them in X/Y.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Also, the Crown Beasts are distributed in a Wi-Fi event, so that everyone can enjoy the in-game event. The Creation Trio dragons are distributed in an in-store event, implying that it is not that important because there's no in-game event that requires them in X/Y.

Whoa, wait. It was? Man, I'm so behind. After double checking the event database, though, America did have the event as an in-store distribution earlier for each of the events, so I can see where some of that thought is coming from. But like you said, since Japan doesn't have the event, they're almost guaranteed to not do anything in X/Y. They would have advertised it as such if that was the case.

Forbidden Snowflake

take it out on me
Is there any other way to transfer through-generations, a way which might leave the pokemon in the pokeball it's been originally caught in?

AceTrainerBen

Sorry to repost, but can someone please help me with my question, thank you.

Basically do ev berries only work in multiples of 10?

say I had 16 evs in one stat for example... would the first bring it to 6 then the second to 0?

Thanks ;)

Last edited:

AceTrainerBen

Thank you, very much

I take it you mean the second part of my post is right?

:)

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Thx. Transferred pokes from 3rd gen to 4th one are received in the future game in the same pokeball they had been caught in or it changes into some default option?

Transfers via Pal Park maintain their original Poké Ball types, I believe.

Is there any other way to transfer through-generations, a way which might leave the pokemon in the pokeball it's been originally caught in?

I believe transfers via Poké Transfer also maintain the original ball types.

I can confirm this. I caught a Meowth in Leaf Green, and it still has the Repeat ball I caught it in, when I check the Pokémon in White.

Myrrh

If a Pokemon attacks an opponent with No Guard, but then that opponent switches out during the attack, would the attack keep No Guard accuracy, or would the accuracy be re-calculated?

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
If a Pokemon attacks an opponent with No Guard, but then that opponent switches out during the attack, would the attack keep No Guard accuracy, or would the accuracy be re-calculated?

The accuracy would be calculated, without No Guard factoring in.

You can't switch "during" an move; you can switch as a result of a move, but switching manually always takes precedence over moves.

Myrrh

The accuracy would be calculated, without No Guard factoring in.

You can't switch "during" an move; you can switch as a result of a move, but switching manually always takes precedence over moves.

Yeah, what I meant was two Pokemon are in battle (A and B).
A has whatever ability and B has No Guard
A selects an attack that can miss, B decides to switch, Pokemon C will take Pokemon A's attack instead.
Is Pokemon C guaranteed to be hit? (Assuming types or whatever does't prevent anything)

And you already said it wouldn't, so yeah.

EDIT: Misread "without" as "with" from the post I quoted, my bad.

Last edited: