• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

No

• No

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • NO!

Votes: 52 71.2%

• Total voters

cryuel

I can see a number of shiny Arceus with non-Japanese names on the GTS. So what's the deal with them?

It can very well be legitimate, as a game can still be played in English/French/German/etc. despite being a Japanese game in terms of localisation. I would think that this is the answer to your question.

devilmonkey

ROWROWFightDaPOWAH
Two questions about hacked Pokemon:
1) All moral problems aside, what is really wrong with hacked Pokemon in Gen 6?
I know what's wrong with pokemon with hacked stars or abilities, but I'm talking about pokemon that are just hacked for shiny, IV, and/or Egg Moves? I know that, once upon a time ago, hacked pokemon could corrupt your save file. I also know from experience that attempting to transfer over old hacked Pokemon didn't work (goodbye old Darkrai. You served me well.)
But what's wrong with them now? If I hack for a pokemon that I could have bred for/soft reset for, but just didn't want to waste the time, what problems might I face later?

2) Is there an in-game way to test for a hack?
- I think I remember reading somewhere that VGC can check for hacks. Is that true? If so, could I then register for a battle competition with potentially hacked pokemon and see whether it gives a "Certain Pokemon in your party cannot be used" message?

If Mewtwo is put to sleep and then mega-evolves to Y, would it wake up instantly? I would imagine so, just verifying.
Yes, it'd wake up instantly.

Archsage

Shiny Hunting!
1) All moral problems aside, what is really wrong with hacked Pokemon in Gen 6?
I know what's wrong with pokemon with hacked stars or abilities, but I'm talking about pokemon that are just hacked for shiny, IV, and/or Egg Moves? I know that, once upon a time ago, hacked pokemon could corrupt your save file. I also know from experience that attempting to transfer over old hacked Pokemon didn't work (goodbye old Darkrai. You served me well.)
But what's wrong with them now? If I hack for a pokemon that I could have bred for/soft reset for, but just didn't want to waste the time, what problems might I face later?

If what you hack is completely legal in terms of moves, stats, abilities, and everything else, then the major problem is that trading/battling online with hacks, technically legal or not, is a jerk thing to do. Even if it's the same as something you could have bred, by hacking you have lowered the value of every other shiny/iv bred/whatever of that species. You've also invalidated the hard work someone else put in to get what they wanted because you didn't want to spend that time. And a lot of people enjoy knowing their Pokémon is legitimate, so there's no chance of any kind of problems with illegal stats or something.

So if it's only going to be used in-game and not traded, that's your business, but the moment you trade it, you've scammed someone, and when you battle with it online, you're being rude to people who work hard to get whatever it is.

Those are really the only issues as far as I can see, from a technical standpoint it can't harm your game.

devilmonkey

ROWROWFightDaPOWAH
@Archsage:
1) All moral problems aside...
The moral and ethical side of hacking wasn't my question. That aspect of the conversation is like talking religion, usually goes nowhere.

What I'm asking is, what are the in-game issues one would face with "hacked" Pokemon? Has anyone tried one of the Battle Competitions with, say, a hacked shiny Rayquaza and been booted out? Does anyone know the procedure at in-person events? I know that, when I went to an old VGC in-person event, they had us out our game cartridges into this battle box thing with their own connected DSs that, supposedly, went through your party and made sure everything was on the up-and-up. Is that still happening?

Archsage

Shiny Hunting!
@Archsage:

The moral and ethical side of hacking wasn't my question. That aspect of the conversation is like talking religion, usually goes nowhere.

What I'm asking is, what are the in-game issues one would face with "hacked" Pokemon? Has anyone tried one of the Battle Competitions with, say, a hacked shiny Rayquaza and been booted out? Does anyone know the procedure at in-person events? I know that, when I went to an old VGC in-person event, they had us out our game cartridges into this battle box thing with their own connected DSs that, supposedly, went through your party and made sure everything was on the up-and-up. Is that still happening?

My mistake, I must not have read carefully enough. In answer to your question, the answer appears to be no, or at least that the checkers are not very good, as they don't catch more obvious hacks, so something made to look legititmate might slip by. There was an incident a while ago where a VGC player (high in the rankings, national or international I believe?) used a Aegislash that was in a Dream Ball in a competition. The judges didn't catch it. Players did however. I'll see if I can't find you an article on it.
Edit: Here. http://www.idigitaltimes.com/pokemo...al-championships-2014-not-likely-video-375242
So if Rizzo was telling the truth that he did not hack and must have bred from hacked parents, then the checkers will not catch hacks obtained in-game, though it doesn't tell us anything about using an outside modifier.

I would guess, however, that if the check involves a person looking at the Pokémon summary (as I have heard of), then a legal-looking hack would be indistinguishable from a non-hack. If it involves software, Pokémon Bank's hack check could be equivalent to it.

Edit 2: More googling turns up this account of a VGC experience and the issues in the hack-checking there. This is from July 2014, so it's the most recent until this summer's major VGC tournaments. The hack check appears to be painfully poor here...
https://pokemoms.wordpress.com/2014/07/17/how-cheating-happens-in-the-pokemon-vgc/

Last edited:
Hacking does not affect your game at all. Well certainly not for simple things like changing the IVs or the ball a Pokémon is in. In older Gens certain things that the affected the PID like changing the IVs or Nature were easily detected on the site that no longer exists. They were no longer tied together from V onwards. Shininess, gender and ability (I think...) are still tied to the PID though so changing those could still cause a problem, I'm not too sure (if anyone can clarify feel free...).

Hack checks online and even at VGC are incredibly poor anyway. Unless it's something obvious, it's easily overlooked. I was so excited when it was anounced that checks online would take place but sadly they let so much slip though. I had a lvl 100, shiny Trevenant in a Love Ball on WT yesterday ¬_¬

Well, that depends in large measure on what you want your Gyarados to do, but generally it can use Attack more than Special Attack. Adamant is good, but I've also seen people mention Jolly for Speed, and sometimes Careful for Special Defense if you want extra bulk.

Hope this helps!

Which is better

So am playing Pokemon emerald right now and I have two favorite electic type
Raichu and Manetic I want to use one of them for the elite 4, so which one do you guys think is better ;026; or ;310;

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
So am playing Pokemon emerald right now and I have two favorite electic type
Raichu and Manetic I want to use one of them for the elite 4, so which one do you guys think is better ;026; or ;310;

Manectric is probably the better one as it is found earlier and does not need an item to evolve. Catching Pikachu can be a bit annoying as you are at the mercy of the pre-Gen 6 luck based Safari Zone mechanics in catching it, being a rare Pokemon itself does not make things any easier especially with the 500 step limit of the Safari Zone.

Last edited:

Coakie

Anyone know why I can't battle with my Dragonite online?

So I have this really old Dragonite from Soul Silver and I can't use her in any online battles or against my friends or anything.

She's has like 2 pages of ribbons and really good stats (I think) and I can't use her which is really annoying.

I haven't used any hacks or action replay or anything like that ever

Stats:
330 attack
265 defense
267 sp. atk
254 sp. def
211 speed

Knows Fire Punch, Sky drop, thunder punch, and Outrage and is Bold nature (>_>)

Anyone know why I can't use my dragonite??

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
^If you're playing ORAS Rated Battles, then its because pre-Gen 6 Pokemon are banned from it. For...Whatever reason.

Although they shouldn't be banned from local and friend matches 0_o I'm not sure whats going on there.

Coakie

^If you're playing ORAS Rated Battles, then its because pre-Gen 6 Pokemon are banned from it. For...Whatever reason.

Although they shouldn't be banned from local and friend matches 0_o I'm not sure whats going on there.

My Lugia and Salamence from XD work just fine on online matches.
They don't have the little blue hexagon thing either

devilmonkey

ROWROWFightDaPOWAH
Emperor Empoleon is talking about Rated Battles, those are battles that go through Nintendo. Battles through PSS aren't rated, so shouldn't be affected by a pre-Gen 6 pokemon.

If you can't even use the Dragonite for casual battles, then I have no idea what could be wrong. I've battled with Pokemon going as far back as Ruby and Sapphire (the oldest Pokemon that can be transferred up to ORAS). Are you sure it's the Dragonite and not just your 3DS? Make sure you have the latest System Update. Also, make sure that, if you are using PSS for these battles, your "rules" are set correctly. I once couldn't battle someone and we couldn't figure out why until he realized one of his rules prevented his team with two Leftovers holders from battling.

SkyTheAbsol

Dark-Type Fanatic
So I have this really old Dragonite from Soul Silver and I can't use her in any online battles or against my friends or anything.

She's has like 2 pages of ribbons and really good stats (I think) and I can't use her which is really annoying.

I haven't used any hacks or action replay or anything like that ever

Stats:
330 attack
265 defense
267 sp. atk
254 sp. def
211 speed

Knows Fire Punch, Sky drop, thunder punch, and Outrage and is Bold nature (>_>)

Anyone know why I can't use my dragonite??

Is... Sky Drop maybe still banned on online play? I think that used to be a thing?

Lord Fighting

Bank Ball Collector
Does drayden just have a really weird beard that takes up half his face or is it meant to be something else?

Coakie

Emperor Empoleon is talking about Rated Battles, those are battles that go through Nintendo. Battles through PSS aren't rated, so shouldn't be affected by a pre-Gen 6 pokemon.

If you can't even use the Dragonite for casual battles, then I have no idea what could be wrong. I've battled with Pokemon going as far back as Ruby and Sapphire (the oldest Pokemon that can be transferred up to ORAS). Are you sure it's the Dragonite and not just your 3DS? Make sure you have the latest System Update. Also, make sure that, if you are using PSS for these battles, your "rules" are set correctly. I once couldn't battle someone and we couldn't figure out why until he realized one of his rules prevented his team with two Leftovers holders from battling.

I can't even use my dragonite in "casual battles" against my friends. And I can use my Salamence and Lugia just fine online.

I removed sky dropped, just tried my friend's DS, and it isn't holding any items.