• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

No

• No

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • NO!

Votes: 52 71.2%

• Total voters

Forbidden Snowflake

take it out on me
alright.
is quick claw a single use item?

AmethystLeslie

No, it is not.

DHooley87

Hi all!
OP here getting back on topic.
I still haven't worked out the equation and also my info about base hp stat was wrong too.
I'm trying to write a walkthrough and game guides and I feel as an aspiring pokemon master the IV formula should be understood regardless of more efficient online calculators.

AceTrainerBen gave a nice response and mentioned that a calculator that provides a value range rather than a single value is better. I'm not understanding why, I would think I would want a single value (31 is the best).

Bulbapedias IV formula for just HP IV's:

HP= [(2 x Base + IV + [ EV/4 ]) x Level /100] + Level + 10

Really not that complicated math but a last part I still can't work out. Gonna use an Onix I got from Rock Tunnel in FireRed recently as an example, no EV's from battling yet so that part of the equation can be removed and my Onix's lonely nature is not one that affects HP so everything is good there.

Lv15 and 39HP
Verified Onix's always have a base HP stat of 35.

Since solving for IV going to change IV to variable x.
So here we go simplifying what's inside the parentheses first:
2 times base plus x...... Base is 35 so this comes out to 70+x.
Level which is 15 is just outside the parentheses and can now be multiplied into the parentheses: 15 times 70 plus 15 times x. Doing this eliminates the parenthes from the equation and I now have:

HP= [1050+15x/100] + Level + 10
Now changing HP to it's real value 39 and adding Level + 10:

39=[1050+15x/100]+25
Subtracting 25 from the right side of the equation:
14=[1050+15x/100]

Now I should note it is both 1050 and 15x that are to be divided by 100. If this was written freehand the division slash would be written under both.
This is where my math skills kind of suck now but an online equation solver from this point gives x=70/3!
So my Onix's HP IV is 23.33, 23 out of 31!

If anyone can help me with that last bit of math I would greatly appreciate it or I will figure it out eventually!

Cheers!
Mr. Dave

Another thing!

Here is a quote from Bulbapedia's IV page:

In Generation III, the IV system was completely overhauled; now, IVs range from 0-31 rather than 0-15, with HP and Special Defense getting their own independent IVs.

I have been reading about IV's a lot and no place else except this quote have I seen that special defense has it's own formula. There is only the two formulas from Bulbapedia, the HP one and the Other stat one. I'm not even sure if Bulbapedia means to use the HP formula for special defense or what..

Or does it mean that HP and Sp.Def. have unique IV values while Atk, Def, Sp.Atk. and Spd all have the same IV value?
That's not right, right?

Oh jeez wrong thread... Or something!?!? I thought I was OP but this thread is 967 pages!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacster4

Need help countering a friends team.

A friend of mine is using a "dragon type" team and I'm trying to find out a good counter too it.

He uses:

Aerodactyl (which is just a sunny day set up for charizard)

Dragonite

Charizard

Altaria

Salamence

Kingdra

Another thing to note is we play on B&W so we can't use anything newer and we banned Garchomp, a bunch of B&W pokemons and all legendaries from use.

Smokin' weedle

M
A friend of mine is using a "dragon type" team and I'm trying to find out a good counter too it.

He uses:

Dragonite

Charizard

Altaria

Salamence

Kingdra

Another thing to note is we play on B&W so we can't use anything newer and we banned Garchomp, a bunch of B&W pokemons and all legendaries from use.
The good thing about a dragon type team, especially this one is ice weakness. Three of these have a 4x weakness. Dragonite, salamance and altaria all won't take any ice type attack too nicely. Kindra and charizard both have a electric type weakness. Most of these will also take heavy damage from stealth rock, so that's a thought. And finally, if you take away charizards sun, and put rain there he is worthless. So try with:
Politoad: politoad sets up rain upon the swap, which is much better than sunny day, considering you can always use it.

Skarmory: sturdy skarmory can set up stealth rock, so lead with him, and gets as much damage on his team.

2 ice types: mainly for those 4x weaknesses. Perhaps an skill link cloyster, who takes less damage from fire type attacks.

An electric type: to deal with kingdra, jolteon or magnezone would do great.

A water type: helps get rid of Aerodactyl and charizard. Gastrodon can hold out against electric type attacks, which will be usefull

I hope this will help

AmethystLeslie

Kindra and charizard both have a electric type weakness.

Kingdra takes x1 damage from Electric, since Dragon resists it. It's only weak to Dragon-type moves.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan

He uses:

Dragonite

Charizard

Altaria

Salamence

Kingdra

If you can get your hands on one, Multiscale Dragonite can take a single hit from anything on his team, boost with Dragon Dance, then outspeed and OHKO everything on his team with Outrage. However, if his Salamence has Intimidate and he switches it in before his Dragonite, then his Dragonite will easily survive and can revengekill you if your Multiscale was broken as you set up Dragon Dance. Your Dragonite also needs an Adamant nature to guarantee the OHKO through Multiscale (although Jolly works if you can keep Stealth Rock up, that's easier said than done against Aerodactyl, one of the fastest Taunters in the game). In addition, if his Salamence is Scarfed it can outspeed and revengekill you at +1.

It would seem a little odd to sweep him with one of his own Pokemon, though, wouldn't it?

EDIT: I also just realized you don't outspeed Aerodactyl at +1 without a Jolly nature, so you'd kind of need to decide between OHKOing Multiscale Dragonite and outpacing Aerodactyl after Dragon Dance.

EDIT2: Oh yeah, there's another option.

http://www.smogon.com/dex/media/sprites/bw/cloyster.gif
Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Adamant - Skill Link
252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 Defence
-Shell Smash
-Rock Blast
-Icicle Spear
-Razor Shell / Ice Shard

Outspeeds and OHKOs his entire team after a Shell Smash.

+2 252+ Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 760-900 (201.5 - 238.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl: 1030-1230 (342.1 - 408.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Altaria: 1580-1880 (447.5 - 532.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Cloyster Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard: 1180-1400 (397.3 - 471.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kingdra: 380-450 (130.5 - 154.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 236+ Def Salamence: 920-1100 (234 - 279.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

TiredButAwake

Is episode 37 of xyz on youtube or the pokemon app or whatever yet or no?

I just got done watching episode 36 so i was just curious as to where i can watch it.

I hate subbed, i only like the english episodes.

Also no im not asking for anything illegal. I got banned last time i asked this because they thought i was trying to watch illegal **** for some stupid reason.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Is episode 37 of xyz on youtube or the pokemon app or whatever yet or no?

I just got done watching episode 36 so i was just curious as to where i can watch it.

I hate subbed, i only like the english episodes.

Also no im not asking for anything illegal. I got banned last time i asked this because they thought i was trying to watch illegal **** for some stupid reason.

As far as I can tell, You're up to date.. and that Episode 37 of XYZ hasn't been transmitted yet.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but recently I've been having issues loading the main site on my phone when I'm not connected to Wi-Fi. I can load all the other sites I frequently visit and these forums with no issues but when I try to load the main site the page just goes completely white with no error message or anything. Is anyone else experiencing this or is this an error on my end?

Forbidden Snowflake

take it out on me
Lately i noticed that the time and date of my 3ds got messy; and when i change it to updated settings, they get forgotten by the time i shut it off and run it again. i also notice that it takes a long press of the power button to be started, rather than a slight touch that used to be enough in the past.

What would you advice me to do?

Alatar VGC

House Greyjoy
Lately i noticed that the time and date of my 3ds got messy; and when i change it to updated settings, they get forgotten by the time i shut it off and run it again. i also notice that it takes a long press of the power button to be started, rather than a slight touch that used to be enough in the past.

What would you advice me to do?

How old is your DS? I have a 3DS where the top screen goes funny all the time. Maybe the consoles are getting old. Maybe....

spyrus7

Hello I would like to know if kyurem is obtainable in soulsilver. Additionally I would like to know if I can trade white kyurem to Pokémon white

Lord Fighting

Bank Ball Collector
Hello I would like to know if kyurem is obtainable in soulsilver. Additionally I would like to know if I can trade white kyurem to Pokémon white

Kyurem didn't exist until Gen 5. Soulsilver is still in gen 4 and you can't trade white kyurem when its merged together. It has to be seperated into the 2 pokemon

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!

Kyurem didn't exist until Gen 5. Soulsilver is still in gen 4 and you can't trade white kyurem when its merged together. It has to be seperated into the 2 pokemon

Just to add, There is no data for Kyruem Formes in Black/White.

You can Separate your Kyruem, and trade them both to White. You'll need to bring them back to White 2 or Black 2 (or transfer them to Gen 6+) with have DNA splicers before you can access your White Kyrurem.

AmethystLeslie

Is the Shiny Haxorus in B2W2 hardlocked to Adamant nature, or was I lucky with my catch?