• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

No

• No

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • NO!

Votes: 52 71.2%

• Total voters

abby_ella

I was talking to a friend about my old Blue version team from back in the day, and she made the argument that Mew shouldn't count. I didn't get Mew through the official channels, but rather through exploiting the now well-known glitch. She claimed that that was "hacked," therefore shouldn't really count as me catching Mew.

I understood "hacked" to refer to when people manipulate the data to give Pokemon moves they can't normally learn and stuff like that.

For that matter, I also got Celebi in Gold version from a friend using a glitch to duplicate traded Pokemon.

In both cases, I leveled them up legitimately, it was just the acquisition that was through the glitch.

What does everyone think? Should I consider those legitimate?

BCVM22

They’re definitely not legitimate. You obtained them through glitches. Just because you obtained it without hacking doesn’t make it legitimate.

The question, ultimately, is the extent to which that matters. If it doesn’t bother you, more power to you. It’s your game. Do as you like. The only caveat would be if you ever traded those Pokémon away - proper courtesy would be to inform your trading partner of the means by which you originally acquired the Pokémon, because they might care.

Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone can help me figure out if I can somehow transfer a gible across to fire red? Thanks ☺️

No, because that’s not possible for multiple reasons. Gible is a Generation IV Pokémon that didn’t exist in Generation III, and backward transfers between generations is impossible anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anthony Berardi

Love running Trick Room but I always have to make tough decisions about which offensive pokemon to use other than the Trick Room setters...anyone have ideas???

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Love running Trick Room but I always have to make tough decisions about which offensive pokemon to use other than the Trick Room setters...anyone have ideas???

Belly Drum Snorlax and Mega Ampharos are some of my favourites. Alolan Marowak is also terrifying under Trick Room. Alolan Golem is just plain fun as its Galvanize Explosion destroys pretty much everything it hits neutrally, it's amazing for creating openings by just clearing the field. Z-Power Trick Shuckle is also very good, although you must have some countermeasures to protect it against physical priority. Shuckle has the advantage that it benefits from enemy Intimidates thanks to Contrary.

Last edited:

Kage-Pikachu

I doubt this will ever get answered officially but I want to know if Lance beat Red and if Iris beat our Black/White player character. Red is far stronger than Lance in G/S and HG/SS so I wonder if he simply stepped down to wander the regions (but then that wouldn't make much sense since Alder wanders a lot but is still champion of B/W) or if Lance was just finally able to win at some point with his 3 freaking under-leveled Dragonite...jackass, lol. And did Wallace beat Steven or what? Seriously...

Also why wasn't Blue made into a member of the Elite 4 instead of a gym leader? Heh, they could have put Lorelei as a gym leader since she doesn't appear at all in G/S but having Blue as gym leader is a huge step down for a former champion.

BCVM22

You are correct that there's no official answer for either of those.

If someone had to write one, however, it strikes me as more likely they'd write that Red or the B/W player character simply became too strong and decided to abdicate their title and roam the world, seeking new and stronger challengers. Seems like that's what Red is doing atop his mountain when you come across him in the Johto template - waiting for someone strong enough to brave the mountain and come challenge him.

Blue was likely made Viridian Gym Leader because he was strong enough to beat Lance (proving his mettle to whatever body governs the Gyms) and he's native to the town nearest Viridian.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
In NPC battles, does the Pokemon Amie ability to occasionally dodge let you dodge never miss moves like Faint Attack or do they still never miss

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
In NPC battles, does the Pokemon Amie ability to occasionally dodge let you dodge never miss moves like Faint Attack or do they still never miss
Affection boosts from Pokémon-Amie/Pokémon Refresh do not prevent moves that do not check accuracy, like Aerial Ace and Feint Attack, from missing your Pokémon in battles outside of any Battle facilities, online and local matches.

Kage-Pikachu

You are correct that there's no official answer for either of those.

If someone had to write one, however, it strikes me as more likely they'd write that Red or the B/W player character simply became too strong and decided to abdicate their title and roam the world, seeking new and stronger challengers. Seems like that's what Red is doing atop his mountain when you come across him in the Johto template - waiting for someone strong enough to brave the mountain and come challenge him.

Blue was likely made Viridian Gym Leader because he was strong enough to beat Lance (proving his mettle to whatever body governs the Gyms) and he's native to the town nearest Viridian.
It's kind of funny that you have to defeat a former champion to challenge the Elite 4! That's like having to defeat King Cold before you take on Frieza, lol.

I guess they made it ambiguous because they didn't want to irritate players for having their character defeated by the sequel's champion. Heh, Lance NEVER could have beat my Yellow team and Iris couldn't beat my B/W teams.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
If Nature's Madness is used on a Pokemon of, say, 65 HP, will they have 32 or 33 HP after the move is used? What if its used on a Pokemon with 1 HP?

Kage-Pikachu

I googled it and apparently yes it can, a good way around it would be Leftovers (provided all the PP from other moves has been used up)

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
If Nature's Madness is used on a Pokemon of, say, 65 HP, will they have 32 or 33 HP after the move is used? What if its used on a Pokemon with 1 HP?
Damage calculations from Pokémon attacks always round down, so if e.g. your Pokémon has 65 HP and takes damage from Nature's Madness, the game makes a calculation based on that Pokémon's remaining HP and half of 65 is 32.5. The game just doesn't keep the decimals and the Pokémon takes 32 HP damage, which would mean it would have 33 HP remaining. The only exception to that is if the result of the calculation is less than 1, causing the result to round up e.g. if the Pokémon has 1 HP left and the calculated result is 0.5 because 0.5 is half of 1, which is also less than 1, causing the game to round up the damage calculation to 1. Therefore in this case Nature's Madness should cause the Pokémon to faint because it would then have no HP remaining.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
When a Pokemon evolves in USUM, there are sometimes different colors in the original spinning around. What's up with that?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
When a Pokemon evolves in USUM, there are sometimes different colors in the original spinning around. What's up with that?
That depends whether you're evolving a Pokémon into an Alola form or not. The background should be blue if the Pokémon is not evolving into an Alola form but it should be green if the Pokémon is evolving into an Alola form.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
When transferring Clefairy from Gen V to VI or beyond, how does the programming work to update the type?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
When transferring Clefairy from Gen V to VI or beyond, how does the programming work to update the type?
It should be the differences in game data between Pokémon Bank and Gen 5 games. It is as simple as this: Clefairy is stored as a Normal-type in Gen 5 and when it is transferred to Bank, it uses the updated data that Clefairy is Fairy-type.

Orphalesion

Maybe Blue just wanted to be a gym leader? He just might like the job better. Also it stands to reason (and is implied by several other media such as Pokemon Origins) that the various gym leaders adapt their team to the strength of their challenger. So if Brock hadn't been the first gym leader you ended up facing in Red/Blue he'd might have had a more complete team with better rock types.

I guess they made it ambiguous because they didn't want to irritate players for having their character defeated by the sequel's champion. Heh, Lance NEVER could have beat my Yellow team and Iris couldn't beat my B/W teams.

That wasn't my character anyway, even in Pokemon Blue my character wouldn't have a team as boring as "Red's"in G/S. Charizard? No! Snorlax? No! Blastoise? No! Lapras? No! Pikachu? As in not even Raichu, but the unevolved yellow rat? Hell no! I defeated the Kanto elite four with Venusaur, Ninetales, Wigglytuff, Marowack, Vaporeon and Aerodactyl. Plus my character wouldn't become a hermit sitting on some stupid mountain top.

Kage-Pikachu

It would be cool if Red could add some other Pokemon to his team like the fossil Pokemon, a Gyarados (from the Magikarp salesman), some of the in game traded Pokemon like Jinx and Mr. Mime, and maybe a random Pokemon from the Safari Zone (since he needed to get the Gold Teeth and Surf). I know they try to limit his team to gift Pokemon but some of these others could logically be on his team.

Hehehe, it's a clone of Red! The real hooked up with Lorelei and Daisy and retired.

Lord Fighting

Bank Ball Collector
Heavy ball beldum was illegal in Sun/Moon due to the changed mechanics but Beldum is now legal in Ultra Sun/Moon is that right?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Heavy ball beldum was illegal in Sun/Moon due to the changed mechanics but Beldum is now legal in Ultra Sun/Moon is that right?
Yes Heavy Ball Beldum caught in SM wasn't legal because of a glitch in the capture mechanics of the Heavy Ball where Pokémon weighing 220.2 lbs or under with a capture rate 20 or under cannot be caught because their capture rate is 0, which was the minimum cap for capture rates in SM. Beldum weighs 209.9 lbs so it fits in the category of weighting 220.2 lbs or under and has a capture rate of 3 so it is therefore one of the Pokémon that cannot be caught in a Heavy Ball in SM. It was fixed in USUM by capping capture rate at a minimum of 1, which allo such Pokémon to at least have a chance to be caught. The only other post Gen 3 games the Heavy Ball was available in were HGSS and because Beldum is only obtainable as a Safari Pokémon and a gift Pokémon, it can only be in a Poké Ball that is an ordinary Poké Ball and a Safari Ball.