• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

No

• No

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • NO!

Votes: 52 71.2%

• Total voters

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
how were competitive pokemon bred in gen4 online battles back in the day without any sort of RNG manipulation? there is no IV rater so you can only guarantee 1 perfect IV and any other are hard to determine without a IV calculator. getting perfect 5IV pkmn is much easier after an IV rater is available.
Serebii already existed back in gen 3, including an IV calculator on the site. Sure, you had to stockpile Rare Candies, save, then level up your hatchlings to like level 30 and recording the stats at every level along the way to get accurate calculations, and then soft-reset to get your Rare Candies back, but it was possible. How did they breed them? Just lots and lots of patience to get a couple of IVs right, I spent dozens of hours breeding a single pokémon to get as good IVs as I could, I still have a Salamence in Emerald with 2 perfect IVs in Speed and Attack, and over 25 in all the defensive stats. You kept on testing everything you hatch through Serebii's IV calculator and continued to breed with the best ones you had, until eventually you just didn't get anything better any more and it wasn't feasible. 5 perfect IVs was something that was reserved for hackers, that was simply impossible to do legitimately.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Serebii already existed back in gen 3, including an IV calculator on the site. Sure, you had to stockpile Rare Candies, save, then level up your hatchlings to like level 30 and recording the stats at every level along the way to get accurate calculations, and then soft-reset to get your Rare Candies back, but it was possible. How did they breed them? Just lots and lots of patience to get a couple of IVs right, I spent dozens of hours breeding a single pokémon to get as good IVs as I could, I still have a Salamence in Emerald with 2 perfect IVs in Speed and Attack, and over 25 in all the defensive stats. You kept on testing everything you hatch through Serebii's IV calculator and continued to breed with the best ones you had, until eventually you just didn't get anything better any more and it wasn't feasible. 5 perfect IVs was something that was reserved for hackers, that was simply impossible to do legitimately.

thank you for the reply, i figured that at best you can get without spending 1 year to hatch a single good mon was 2-3 perfect IVs. i tried the serebii IV calculator in the past but i didnt see eye-to-eye with it in figuring out how to completely fill out that form for the right stat calculations. i still havent figured it out but im past that headache. at this point im just happy with 1 perfect IV as far as gen4 goes and thats in the past year for ingame use VS the battle frontier. i never figured out the individual IVs regarding the statement ie somewhat vain 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31. i just presumed they listed HP, ATK, DEF, SPA, SDF, speed in order and chose the best statement with the higher IVs listed there.

BTW, if you check the ORAS help thread, i answered your question there. the dexnav has its quirks but they are easy to work around if you know the tricks.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
thank you for the reply, i figured that at best you can get without spending 1 year to hatch a single good mon was 2-3 perfect IVs. i tried the serebii IV calculator in the past but i didnt see eye-to-eye with it in figuring out how to completely fill out that form for the right stat calculations. i still havent figured it out but im past that headache. at this point im just happy with 1 perfect IV as far as gen4 goes and thats in the past year for ingame use VS the battle frontier. i never figured out the individual IVs regarding the statement ie somewhat vain 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31. i just presumed they listed HP, ATK, DEF, SPA, SDF, speed in order and chose the best statement with the higher IVs listed there.

There's also the MetalKid calculator. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, so I used them both. The perfect IV that was top priority was Speed, since that made it easier to determine turn order, but I never went for more than 2 perfect IVs because, prior to the Destiny Knot, the odds were just way too low.

During then, people would literally spend months breeding to get Pokémon with 4 or more perfect IVs. The people who competed in VGCs had one single team they'd use the whole generation, because not many people were willing to go through that kind of trouble more than 6 times, and by then, new games might've come out that would've rendered their efforts wasted.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
There's also the MetalKid calculator. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, so I used them both. The perfect IV that was top priority was Speed, since that made it easier to determine turn order, but I never went for more than 2 perfect IVs because, prior to the Destiny Knot, the odds were just way too low.

During then, people would literally spend months breeding to get Pokémon with 4 or more perfect IVs. The people who competed in VGCs had one single team they'd use the whole generation, because not many people were willing to go through that kind of trouble more than 6 times, and by then, new games might've come out that would've rendered their efforts wasted.

ty for the reply, heck i pretty much used 1 team only in gen6 with only the last slot as a wild card. i did have different iterations of other mons i liked to used but it remained 90% static. i kept that team to gen7 and to an extent in gen8 pokedex permitting. though gen8 did introduce other mons i liked so its more varied. trying to make a good IV team in anything below gen6 sounds like a complete nightmare.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
ty for the reply, heck i pretty much used 1 team only in gen6 with only the last slot as a wild card. i did have different iterations of other mons i liked to used but it remained 90% static. i kept that team to gen7 and to an extent in gen8 pokedex permitting. though gen8 did introduce other mons i liked so its more varied. trying to make a good IV team in anything below gen6 sounds like a complete nightmare.

It was, compared to today. As flawed as the Galar games are, breeding has become pretty streamlined since then. It's a lot more controlled of a process than it used to be.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
It was, compared to today. As flawed as the Galar games are, breeding has become pretty streamlined since then. It's a lot more controlled of a process than it used to be.

i do play gen4 once in a while and i remember i need to slowdown as the game doesnt run as fast as gen6-8. heck i can take a lvl1 UT mon to full lvl 100 in less than 3 minutes complete with 50 vitamins and battle moves in gen8...

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
If a Pokémon learns more than four moves at Level 1 (like Victreebel), then what determines what moves it would know? (Yes, I know a Lv1 Victreebel is an impossibility)
I’m going off of experience with fully evolved Pokémon that are the result of trading here and say that the game will add any moves if the Pokémon starts off with more than one move automatically and then it will say the Pokémon wants to learn the remaining moves but it can only know four’s moves and asks if one should be forgotten to learn a new one.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
im doing some secret base flag collections on my OR save file getting from 170 flags to a goal of 500 for that invisible kcleon doll. im running around the map with super repels in constant use. the OR save file wasnt played much and left more as a storage space for pokemon last year ago or so and its relatively bare. im at 300 flags for the bases and ive already sold off most sellable items that have good resale value.

im using luck incense and doing the trainer rematch battles as of lately, im targetting the older rich folks,gentlemen/women and the ranger types as tehy give more money upon winning. i havent put the o powers into use in this save file much but i have atleast all lvl1 state for each (didnt check lately). gen6 XY has 3 star restaurant triple battles with luck incense and lvl3 O powers for Quick cash, sword/shield has many items that are easy to come by to sell. i havent really put much time in ORAS as i have in XY, Sun, UM or gen 8 games so i dont remember the easiest way to get cash in ORAS. is there any faster richer way outside of re-matching the previous trainers in ORAS?

EDIT: i did the food court battles just now but its only a daily event, what is a method easily repeated several times a day? i dont feel like doing the elite 4 run but i know that remains an option.

Last edited:

emerald26flygon

Hi all, I’ve been playing Emerald. What do you think is the best team out of:

- Swampert
- Breloom
- Gardevoir
- Flygon
- Aggron
- Absol
- Manectric
- Skarmory

thinking the first four are for sure, really trying to pick two between Aggron, Maenctric, Skarmory. This would be for the Hoenn E4

Last edited:

nel3

Crimson Dragon
what are the odds that scanning QR codes on YT for blissey secret bases will work? i know ORAS has past its time at this point but i have recently started putting some time on my OR save file. the codes on YT i see are 5+ yrs old, i dont know if they would get corrupted or have since been changed to non Blissey team. i dont particularly feel like corrupting my save file. i got useful pokemon stored on the game as i offloaded pokemon i want to keep onto my OR file.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Hi all, I’ve been playing Emerald. What do you think is the best team out of:

- Swampert
- Breloom
- Gardevoir
- Flygon
- Aggron
- Absol
- Manectric
- Skarmory

thinking the first four are for sure, really trying to pick two between Aggron, Maenctric, Skarmory. This would be for the Hoenn E4
If you’re going to keep the first 4 (which is fine), I’d say the last 2 should be Absol (good against nearly all of the E4 given the right move set) and either Manectric (arguably the best Pokémon to face most of Wallace) or Skarmory (good defensive wall that offers support)

Lord Fighting

Bank Ball Collector
Didn't get an answer in the sub forum so trying here.

So I've beaten Western Cave and recruited Mewtwo yet I still haven't unlocked Fantasy Straight or Marvelous Sea?? Despite beating that dungeon being the only requirements to unlock these dungeons. Help???
+Also just recruited Deoxys as that seemed to be a requirement but still nothing

In the SwSh Pokedex, the gender rates for starters are listed as 88.14% for males. How do we know this exactly? And if this is true, why does literally everywhere else simply display it as a 7/8 chance?

BCVM22

In the SwSh Pokedex, the gender rates for starters are listed as 88.14% for males. How do we know this exactly?

Datamining. Same way we know everything else about the internals of a given Pokémon.

And if this is true, why does literally everywhere else simply display it as a 7/8 chance?

The gender ratio for the starters was 7/8 on the dot - 87.5% chance - up until and including Generation VI. Many resources likely haven't felt the need to adjust their data and templates over a difference of less than a percentage point.

Datamining. Same way we know everything else about the internals of a given Pokémon.

The gender ratio for the starters was 7/8 on the dot - 87.5% chance - up until and including Generation VI. Many resources likely haven't felt the need to adjust their data and templates over a difference of less than a percentage point.

Okay, thank you for informing me. So it is indeed slightly different in generations beyond 6.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Didnt see any other place to ask this question so figured I'll try asking it here.

During this whole COVID-19 lockdown I'm feeling nostalgic for old Pokemon games, specifically HeartGold and SoulSilver.

I've checked Gamestop's website and says it's not available to order online and my local stores are closed. So I have to eliminate them as an option...

I've looked on eBay for listings but it seems most are well over $70 to $100 and says they're coming from China. So I'm skeptical at their legitimacy since HG/SS is one of the most faked games out there. Any advice on what I should look for on eBay listings?

BCVM22

Literally anything else. You’re asking to get scammed in buying long-defunct games from user supported marketplaces at this late date, for reasons you’ve already discovered.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Speaking of HGSS, I'm trying to get the pokeball seals ie get 3 each day. I've noticed I got the usual seals but out of the 12 lettered seals not all showed up in the case. I got c d and few others but they didn't appear in the box at all I'm stuck at 8 total different letter seals. I just put a bunch of random letter seals on a pokeball to use up all thd letter stock. I dont know if this will force the other 20 missing letter numbers from finally being accounted for in the pokeball seal case.

edit: so i "got" 3 seals more d, d, e. when i checked the actual pokeball decoration they didnt show... will check player's inbox for the items.

Last edited:

DR.gonzo

Didnt see any other place to ask this question so figured I'll try asking it here.

During this whole COVID-19 lockdown I'm feeling nostalgic for old Pokemon games, specifically HeartGold and SoulSilver.

I've checked Gamestop's website and says it's not available to order online and my local stores are closed. So I have to eliminate them as an option...

I've looked on eBay for listings but it seems most are well over $70 to $100 and says they're coming from China. So I'm skeptical at their legitimacy since HG/SS is one of the most faked games out there. Any advice on what I should look for on eBay listings?

By EU cart if possible .
Don’t order from China
If it’s just shown in the small cartridge clear holders avoid .
Make sure for decent pics to view the code on the back matches the code on the front bottom .
On the back the letters between the metal prongs should be uniformed in size font etc and not half missing behind each prong .
Box . Check box art and image logos against legit cases online .
Usually the fakes go for cheap with multiple buy options from the seller .

But sadly your going to be paying £30 and up for a legit HG SS .