• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Pokemon Rebellion

TokyoJunkie

To-To-TokyoJunkie
Ah, don't worry, Typhlogirl! Based on how prolifically you wrote during the fic's prime, I'm 100% confident you'll be able to get this chapter up. I'm sorry you've been through so much hell in trying to get this fic finished and all (as I probably already stated months ago, but w/e). Looking forward to the climax!

Foo

^I pity da
Don't let this die, please! This fic rules!

Aquaspoon

Do NOT go near...
I know this is a bit old, but that was a great last chapter! I'm waiting for the climax! *starts poking her to continue writing*

Isfahan

Ah, a writer who isn't afraid to kill off characters, muahahahaa. Ahem.

The theme of The Pokémon Rebellion seems to be "Two wrongs don't make a right, so let's find out how many it does take." ;) This work is the perfect embodiment of Georges Clemenceau's definition of war as "a series of catastrophies that result in a victory."

So far it's been nothing but fast-paced, engaging writing; it has that can't-put-it-down quality that every writer should be trying to imbue into their work. Also, it's a very tough thing to manage so many narratives at once (Larmo and the rebellion, Lance and Whitney, Samuel and Rhapsody), especially when they're occurring simultaneously, but Typhlogirl pulls it off so well I feel safe calling The Pokémon Rebellion the 24 of Pokémon fan fiction. :)

Is it just me or is Larmo not all that likable of a character? He's a pot calling the kettle of humanity "black." The defining moment of his hypocrisy for me came when he held a gun to Lance--quite possibly one of the most human-like things a Pokémon could ever do. As a reader deciding how I feel about a character, it takes more than just being an underdog to get me to root for him or her, and Larmo's by-any-means approach to effecting change in the world won't win him many popularity contests outside of the choir he's preaching to.

Astinus

you really do like taking your time
Typhie is working on it. Probably right as we speak. If she rushes it out to make those who are impatient for an update, then it will not be the greatest of quality. By taking her time on this final chapter, she can make sure that she wraps things up in the best way possible.

You can't rush art. Be patient, and you will be rewarded.

Typhlogirl

keep battling on!
Still not the chapter, sorry. >___________________<

But the good news is: It's finished! Yes! I can't believe it either! I worked on it for a full day to get it finished. Now, you are probably asking, 'But Typhlogirl, where is it?' Since this chapter is so important, I've enlisted the help of one of my trusted friends to beta it for me. As soon as they finish with it, it will be posted here. So expect the chapter within a few days.

:)

-;157;

P.S. Just a note: The damn thing is 30 pages in word. That's the most I've ever writted for this fanfic. o_o;; XD

About time! All that's left is to wait for it to get done with the beta.

Now, I just have one little question to ask you, what are your plans after this, fanfiction-wise? :)

Typhlogirl

keep battling on!
About time! All that's left is to wait for it to get done with the beta.

Now, I just have one little question to ask you, what are your plans after this, fanfiction-wise? :)

Plans? Hmm...nothing, I guess. o_o;; I do have an idea for another fan fiction, but I doubt I'll have the time to write it as I'm now in the senior years of school and study is stealing all my time. ;_; That's one of the reasons the chapter was so darn late.

-;157;

Xalmar

In the shadows...
It's finished!

I can't wait to read the last chapter of this story, I'm sure it's going to be a good one!

Typhlogirl

keep battling on!
Well, here it is. The final chapter. To be honest, I can't believe it's gone this far. I still remember when I thought of the idea of a pokemon rebelling against his trainer when I was daydre-I mean, studying, in Maths Class last year some time. Now that little idea has turned into a twenty three chapter fic. Wow. I'm in shock. =P I want to thank everyone who enjoyed reading about Larmo and his friends (and enemies, for that matter.) I wish I could come up with a better goodbye speechy thing, but...you guys get the idea. I hope you could get something out of this, and I hope you enjoy the final chapter of my blood, sweat and tears, AKA The Pokemon Rebellion. Perhaps after reading it, you might understand why it took me so long to write.

Rated PG-15 for Violence and Language.

EDIT: And a huge thankyou to Hanako Tabris for beta-ing this for me! I'm so sorry, I should have credited you before!! >___<;;

THE POKEMON REBELLION: CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

The explosion rocked the entire city.

It ripped through the steel radio tower and sent out a heatwave that reached the far edges of Goldenrod. The flames flew upward in a pylon of fury and anger, flanked by bits of flying metal and cement. The debris crashed into the ground and the surrounding buildings, tearing off huge chunks and adding more chaos to the scene. Screams raked through the air like rusty knives, to be followed by flaming bodies slamming into the dirt with dull slapping sounds. Blood rained down from above, turning the ground and everything around it a horrific shade of red. Police and pokemon alike were flung backwards in the blast, and those that weren't were forced to avoid the rubble and corpses falling around them like gruesome, gory rainfall.

Larmo was flung out in the blast, the heat burning every inch of his body. His mind shrieked in agony as he flew through the burning air to land in a crumpled heap at the foot of the ruins of the once proud Radio Tower. Pain would not let any other thoughts come into his mind. His body was awash in excruciating anguish. He wanted to scream, but no sound would emit from his mouth. His eyes felt like they would melt in their sockets. His fur was black and charred. Every breath he took was an effort. He forced his watering eyes open. The light blinded him. As his eyes adjusted, he noticed a crumpled black heap lying near him. It had a scar on its paw that stood out against the charred pads.

"Ke...Ken...Kenda?" croaked the Linoone, straining his tattered vocal chords to make the sounds materialise. "Is...is that...you?" The heap did not move. Larmo dragged his shattered body toward the pile of fur, his limbs screaming at him to stop. But he had to be sure. He raised his burnt arm to turn the head toward him.

"Kenda! It is...you!" Larmo croaked, his broken mouth twisting into a relieved smile. "Wake...wake up...we have to...leave here...why won't you wake up?" Larmo asked, his voice cracking and breaking. "This...is not...funny...please! Don't be...no...not you...too..." Hot tears poured out of the Linoone's injured eyes as he desperately tried to shake his first friend into wakefulness. But Kenda would never wake. For he was dead. Larmo's entire body quivered as he looked into the Mightyena's dim eyes, at his once constantly beaming face, now eternally frozen in a blank, empty expression. Tears flowed freely down the Linoone's burnt face, and he lowered his once proud head and sobbed into Kenda's charred fur. For now he was alone. Larmo suddenly felt all his energy fall away from his body, and he collapsed into bitter darkness.

Two days later, Lilycove City Pokemon Hospital

Larmo slowly opened his eyes. White flooded his senses.

"Where am I?" he thought. He turned his head to the left.

Rhapsody the Ursaring stared back at him. She was leaning against the wall, watching him with cold eyes. Larmo quickly looked down. He was lying on a bed, bandages swathing his body. A needle was in his arm, and he saw that many wires connected him to a strange machine.

"You're awake," Rhapsody said tonelessly. Larmo stared at her.

"Where am I?" he croaked. She frowned deeper.

"You're in the Lilycove Pokemon Hospital. You were picked up by policeman, and brought here by air. That machine-" She jerked her head towards the device Larmo was connected to, "-is a life support machine. It's keeping you alive. Though you deserve to be dead!" The Ursaring spat the last word out, as if it was a rotten piece of fruit offending her tastebuds. She continued to glare at him coldly. Larmo lay back on the pillow. The cushioning felt like cold steel.

"I know." he croaked softly. It was Rhapsody's turn to stare in amazement.

"What?"

"I should be dead!!" Larmo wailed, his voice scratchy and torn. Rhapsody just kept staring.

"Perhaps. But you're not. You are lucky the police are keeping the press away. Everyone want's a glimpse of the pokemon that halted a nation." She continued to scowl.

Larmo didn't react. He just lay there on his bed, lifeless as a doll.

"I can't believe you blew up the Radio Tower. Do you know how many pokemon were inside?!" Rhapsody hissed.

The events of the past few days flooded back to Larmo like a tidal wave.

"You can talk!" he croaked in fury. "You killed Kenda! You killed my best friend!"

Rhapsody shook her head, and looked directly at Larmo. He saw that her eyes were bright.

"I didn't kill him. He survived the fall. He...he ran back into the tower. To save you. We met on the stairs. He was sobbing for some reason. I tried to console him, and he ran up into the tower. My trainer was injured, thanks to you. I had to evacuate. That was the last time I saw him."

Larmo was silent as the words digested. Tears came to his eyes, and started flooding down his face, staining the white sheets.

"First Boudaika. Then Nero. Now Kenda. They're all gone. Gone. Not coming back. Never."

Rhapsody looked at him in disgust. "And whose fault is that?"

Larmo looked at the roof. And started to chuckle.

"He's finally cracked." thought the Ursaring.

"You think you can make me feel bad, Rhapsody? You think you can make me feel stupid? You're too late. I'm empty. I have no soul. I'm a shell. I can't feel anything any more. I'm the lowest of the low. And I'm staying here. I want to die Rhapsody. I want to die."

Rhapsody shook her head. "You're being stupid."

"NO!" wailed Larmo, stunning the Ursaring. "I'm not being stupid! I don't want to live anymore! Life has nothing more to offer me! You don't understand! I've lost everything!
I thought that the success of the rebellion was the only thing that mattered to me. Now I know I was wrong. I was so wrong. My friends were the things I needed most! Not power, recognition, or revenge! They were there for me, and then the cruel hand of fate suddenly snatched them away from me! Why does fate mock me? What did I do to deserve this misery?"

Rhapsody was speechless. Her cold interpretation of Larmo's evil character was slowly evaporating into confusion and sadness.

"Nothing can rescue me from the sea of despair I'm floundering in. I'm sinking. Slowly but surely, sinking deeper and deeper. My very soul has been taken, and shredded beyond repair. Why does life do this to me? I thought I was doing something for the good of pokemon everywhere. I was blind. Why did I have to survive the explosion? Why couldn't it have been Kenda? He was always loyal to me. Even when I shouted at him, or ordered him around, he stuck by me. He ALWAYS stuck by me. Now he's dead. He deserved to live. He had a glorious life ahead of him. And it was taken. Why does fate play games on us? WHY?!" he shrieked. He then burst into heavy, racking sobs.

Rhapsody looked at the pokemon lying on the bed, weeping bitter tears. Once, a strong pokemon full of ambition and dreams. Now...a wreck, of destructive emotions and twisted feelings. The Ursaring was quiet. Slowly, she walked over the door and slid her claws into the handle.

"I'll be back momentarily. I..." she paused, unable to voice her feelings. "I...you need to be alone." And she left, closing the door softly behind her.

Larmo barely noticed her departure. He was too deep in his misery and pain. He was so buried in agony, that he didn't hear the door reopening. His brain didn't register that it was too soon for Rhapsody to have returned. In fact, he didn't notice anything, until he heard his name.

"Laaaaarmo...oh Laaaaaaaaaarmo..." The voice was raspy and lifeless.

Hiccoughing, the Linoone raised his head to locate the source of the voice. When he did, a terrified scream exploded out of his battered throat. For the creature standing before him was a monster. Scarlet eyes stared out of a misshapen, tattered head that was missing chunks of skin. The creature stood on three legs, its right foreleg gone. All that remained was a bloody stump that, to Larmo's horror, was weeping droplets of the crimson liquid onto the tiled floor. The rest of the monster's body was in similar shape as its head. The surface was raw, covered with a mixture of what looked like blood and soot. But what scared Larmo the most was that the thing was on fire. Flames burned along its spine, and down its thighs to its ankles. They traced its neck and forehead, making little trails of flame along the barren wasteland of the monster's flesh. It was a creature of nightmare. Larmo was unable to make words materialize. All he could do was choke and splutter.

"Why so scared?" That voice! Like death itself was speaking through the throat of that creature. "Don't you recognize me?"

The Linoone forced himself to look at the monster. Nothing clicked until he looked at the eyes. Even through the crimson haze that covered them, he could see a light shining from within. A light that he recognized. The light that darkened the days of many a pokemon. A spiteful light that fed from the pain of the ones around it. That light.

"Dear Ho-oh..." he said softly. "It's you."

Baboba grinned with what was left of his mouth. "Very good. I thought it would take you longer to discover my identity. But once again the ever so brilliant Larmo has amazed me with his ingenuity and resourcefulness."

For some reason, the cruel words didn't hurt Larmo in the slightest.

"So, Linoone." the creature said. "Did you miss me? I certainly missed you."

"How...the explosion...survive?" the Linoone stuttered.

"Aaaahhh yes. The big bang. You know, I was quite lucky in that regard. I suppose it's because I...well, I was...a Ponyta. You know, a fire pokemon? The heat and flames didn't quite finish me off." Baboba limped over to the mirror hanging on the wall, and peered in.

"Mind you...they had a damn good try." He said softly, examining his misshapen, blackened reflection. He chuckled.

"Well look at me. Aren't I the pretty one?" A piece of skin detached from his face to land on the floor with a dull slap. Larmo shuddered.

"A real face for radio now, huh?" Baboba laughed loudly at his joke. The sound reminded Larmo of claws grating on steel.

"Now what was I saying? Oh yes, the story of my amazing survival. Well, to cut a long story short, the fireman dug me out of the ruins, half dead. They flew me here, along with some other survivors, and the doctors set me up in the room next door to you. Oh, and they cut my leg off. It was mangled beyond repair, they said. Also, apparently I have severe third, bridging on fourth, degree burns to ninety-one percent of my body. They are currently trying to find a way to repair my skin. But I doubt they will succeed. These human hospital systems are really quite pathetic, you know."

Larmo's eyes widened. "Ninety-one...percent...how?"

"-am I walking and talking, I presume? Well, that's the interesting part. I don't know how I can walk or talk. I should be dead. But I think the answer lies in my genetics. Considering the fact that I am still on fire, I believe that my status as a fire pokemon is keeping me both alive and mobile. But being a fire element pokemon has its downfalls. I overheard the doctors discussing my burns, and apparently, third degree burns should not cause any pain whatsoever, as the nerves would have been burnt away. Unfortunately...my nerves seem to be rather...resilient."

It took Larmo less than a second to decipher the statement.

"Then...you must be...in terrible...pain?" he said quietly.

"Pain?" the creature said softly, staring down at its stump of a leg. "You think I'm in pain? Why, I'm only missing a leg, most of my skin has been burnt to nothingness and my eyes feel like they will melt in their sockets. But I'm not in pain, or anything! No, never! Why would I be in PAIN, LARMO?!" Baboba shrieked the last two words with an energy that made Larmo cower against the bed in fear. "WHY WOULD I FEEL ANY AGONY? It's not like I NEED my body!! THIS-IS-NOTHING!!"

Larmo slowly crawled backwards up his bed, trying to get away from Baboba's anger.

"I mean, I guess I should be thankful, considering I'm still 'alive'. But is this really alive? Is it worth it, living in this raw, disgusting excuse for a body? IS IT?! Is it worth being in pain every single second of every single day just to say that I'm alive? I don't fear death. Heh, thanks to you, I don't fear anything anymore! Death would be a release! An escape from my pain! Do you understand? I want to die, Larmo. I-WANT-TO-DIE!!"

"Then why don't you just die?!" Larmo wailed, finally finding his voice amongst the mess inside him. "How can you live?! I don't understand! What is keeping you alive?!"

"There we go again with that word! Alive. Basically meaning 'to possess life'. But what I have isn't life. This pain, this agony...this isn't what life should be." Baboba stared down at his body through his twitching eyes. "Life isn't agony. No, no it isn't. It can't be. It's...no, no. Then if I don't have life...I'm not alive. I'm not alive." Baboba was now ignoring Larmo, his eyes wide and gleaming. Larmo saw that strange light again. But it wasn't the regular light Baboba had in his eyes. No, it was something else. And Larmo knew what it was now.

Madness.

"So if I'm not alive, then...I can't die, because dying means to lose life and I don't have a life to lose, therefore I can't die and therefore I can't leave this body. Wait, that doesn't make sense. Maybe...maybe I'm already dead...."

'He's mad...he's completely mad...' Larmo thought in horror, slowly inching his way back further on the bed.

"But if I was dead, then why am I still in this world? I thought death was a world beyond this world...so maybe I'm not dead. But I'm not alive, either. Am I in limbo?"

'I've got to get out of here!' was the next panicked thought to invade Larmo's mind.

Baboba growled angrily. "No, that's not right either! I don't understand! Am I dead or alive?" The creature bent over and shrieked loudly.

'Where in Ho-oh's name are the nurses?!' Larmo thought.

Suddenly, Baboba raised his head. Somehow, his face looked even more horrifying than before. His eyes rolled madly in his head, as if trying to escape from their sockets. A string of drool hung limply from his open jaw. He staggered over to Larmo's bed.

"Can't you tell me Linoone? Am I dead or alive? Tell me! Tell me! TELL ME!!" Baboba screeched the last words into Larmo's face, forcing the Linoone to crawl up further on his bed.

"What do you want from me?!" Larmo cried.

Suddenly, a change came over Baboba. He straightened up. The light was gone from his eyes, which had returned to stationary. His mouth was closed (or as close to closed as it could get), and there was no sign of saliva.

"So as I was saying, apparently the burns inflicted upon me should have destroyed my nervous system, but they haven't. This is an inconvenience, because now I have to put up with excruciating pain all the time. And what in the hell is wrong with you? You look like you've seen a ghost."

Larmo was up against the bed head, nearly drowning in his own terrified sweat. His breath came in scattered gasps. His eyes were nearly popping out of his head, and the cords connecting him to the strange machine dug into him painfully. Baboba was insane. And he didn't even know it.

'If I stay in this room, I'm in danger..!' he thought desperately. 'I've got to get out of here!'

All of a sudden, a memory flashed before Larmo's eyes.

"That machine-" Rhapsody jerked her head towards the device Larmo was connected to, "-is a life support machine. It's keeping you alive."

Larmo's sweat turned to icewater as his eyes traced the mass of cables connecting him to the machine.

'I can't leave...I'm trapped! Trapped with a mad pokemon!'

"So what were we talking about? Ah yes, me. Why would you want to talk about anything else? And will you stop looking at me like that? I understand that you must be extremely shocked at my new appearance, but didn't anyone ever teach you that it's rude to stare?"

Larmo didn't reply, so Baboba took his silence as an indication that he should continue his monologue.

"Humph. You're really quite rude when you want to be, Linoone. It's only polite to respond when I ask you a question. But it doesn't matter." Baboba limped haphazardly toward the machine Larmo was connected to, stopping a small distance away.

"Another thing that is interesting about my current state is the fact that I seem to be able to manage walking without a great deal of stress. You see, the doctors only amputated my leg as a trial to see if I would be able to walk without it. They didn't think I could do it. But I've proved them wrong, eh? Not that I would last a day in the wild. But still...it's always nice to remind academics that they don't know everything. Don't you agree, Larmo? Ah, forget it. You probably won't respond anyway, locked away in your pathetic grief as you are. Your pain." The way Baboba pronounced the last word sent a spark of emotion down Larmo's body. The scorn that dripped from his voice as it produced the word clearly relayed his opinion on Larmo's suffering.

"You...you don't think...you don't think I'm in pain?" he said softly.

Baboba contorted his face into a strange expression that probably would have worked if he had eyebrows.

"You call that pain? Oh please. Don't make me laugh, Linoone. So you have a few boo-boos. Big deal. Don't think that you can gain my pity from acting like you are in real pain. That is not pain. I am in pain, Larmo. You are not."

Larmo's head was down. His claws tightened on the white bed sheets. His body trembled.

"You don't understand anything." he snarled. "You never did! A pokemon like you could never understand my kind of pain!"

"Oh, so you have a special kind of pain just for you, now? How utterly perplexing. And here I was thinking that there was only one kind, which was the one that hurts. There is only one kind of pain, Larmo. Trust me, I know!"

"You know NOTHING of pain!!" Larmo screeched suddenly, his eyes wide with fury, making Baboba wince in a combination of surprise and discomfort. "My pain! When your heart has been swallowed by darkness and your soul shattered into little pieces of nothingness, then you can say you have felt realpain! Pain is not physical. Pain affects your spirit, not your body!"

"Of course, of course!" Baboba said, his mangled eyes wide. "My excruciating agony is nothing compared to what you must be going through! I mean, look at me. How would I know what pain is? No, never. Such grief that you must be plagued with!!"

"Don't mock me!" Larmo screamed, clutching at his head, as if it pained him. "Why, Baboba?! Why can't you just go?! Leave me alone!! Why, Baboba?! Why?!"

Baboba knew that his words caused reactions in people and pokemon. That was why his radio show had been so popular. The Ponyta also knew that he had a distinct talent for being able to perfectly control which words caused which emotion in certain people and pokemon. The two were not very different. And Baboba knew that he could use his talent with words to make someone do anything he wanted. Usually that would take a great deal of time. But looking at the state that Larmo was in...it wouldn't take too long at all. Because Baboba had one goal in mind that would not let any other thoughts show themselves. Not that they would have been able to, what with the pain clouding nearly all of his senses. Oh god, how Baboba resented this pain. He didn't deserve it. He knew he didn't. And he hated the world for allowing him to suffer it. But there was one thing he hated more than the world that rejected him. And that was the pokemon lying on that bed. Baboba would punish that pokemon. Make him feel the pain he felt. Drive him to the brink of insanity, use his own feelings against him, make him feel like life had nothing more to offer him, and that he had only the option of remove his life left open for him.

But Baboba would not allow the Linoone to kill himself. Oh no. He would be polite.

He would do it for him.

Larmo watched Baboba's eyes beginning to gleam once again with that light. A greater sense of despair swallowed the Linoone. He couldn't take much more of this. An image flashed across his eyes. A kind smile, with warm brown eyes.

The Mightyena gave him a defiant stare. "You can't just wander around the streets alone! I'm coming with you!"

"I know you're under stress. Don't worry 'bout it. Feel free to snap away," he said with a smile.

"How dare you try and kill my best friend!" the Dark pokemon growled at the Ursaring. "Stay away from him!"

"Kenda..." Larmo said softly. "Kenda...help me..."

"What was that?" Baboba said, leaning forward slightly. "Did you say Kenda? Why would you speak the name of a dead pokemon? It's not like he can hear you."

Larmo whimpered softly. A tear snaked its way down his cheek.

"Ah...of course." Baboba's eyes widened and a sly grin attempted to appear on his features. "You little friend the Mightyena. Such a waste of life. Killed in your explosion."

"It wasn't...my...explosion." Larmo said softly.

"Really?" Baboba gave a loud gasp of ersatz surprise. "How perplexing! Because, from what I can see, it sure looked like the explosion was, at least, your fault."

"No..."

"Yes..." Baboba continued to grin, his eyes shining. "It's your fault, Larmo. All those pokemon. Do you remember that little Pichu? Leclec? He's an orphan now. His parents are dead. Along with the vast majority of the poor, innocent pokemon that blindly followed you to their fiery deaths. Those that didn't die are in similar states to me. How awful...and it's all thanks to you, Larmo. Those pokemon would still be living happily in the Safari Zone if it wasn't for your selfishness!"

"My...selfishness?" Larmo's voice was soft, hesitant.

"What, you don't think that the main fuel for your rebellion was selfishness? You're more stupid than I thought. It was your own selfish desire for your petty revenge that brought about the deaths of all those innocent pokemon. You were only thinking of yourself when you planned your revolt, not the good of pokemon everywhere. You, thinking only for yourself. No one else."

"No...no, that's not true..." Larmo cried softly, more tears crawling down his face. "It...it can't be..."

"But it is."

Somehow, those three words hammered in Baboba's message harder than the rest of the speech combined. Larmo felt sick. So, so sick. His emotions were slowly taking him apart from the inside. He collapsed onto the bed.

Baboba chuckled dementedly. It was working. He still had it! Restraining from laughing out loud at Larmo's despair, the Ponyta decided to go for the finishing blow. He staggered up as close to the bed as he could manage. He lent down and whispered into Larmo's ear.

"Kenda was your best friend...and you killed him. You're a murderer."

Larmo's eyes snapped open. Tears poured out of his eyes faster than water from a tap.

"I don't...I..."

"Murderer!" Baboba hissed. "You killed him! How could you, when all he did was stand by your side and support you through every selfish decision you ever made?!

No!

"You know what happens to pokemon who murder other pokemon without reason?" Baboba continued. "They get their just desserts. The tortured souls of their victims rise up and destroy them. And considering how many deaths you are responsible for, you're going to have a lot of angry souls wanting revenge on you."

Baboba raised his head, and the flames on his body burned blue.

"As...do...I!" he snarled.

Baboba reared up on his back legs and prepared to send his single front hoof smashing down upon Larmo's unprotected head. The Linoone looked up in terror, and his mouth opened in a silent scream.

Suddenly, a chair connected to a furious Ursaring swung around and smashed Baboba in the side of the head. Larmo could do nothing but watch as, with a sick, tearing sound, the Ponyta's head disconnected from his ravaged body to go flying across the room. Its flight was cut short by the wall, which it hit with a horrible squelching noise, and slid down to the bottom, leaving a streak of blood to mark its gruesome journey. Baboba's face was contorted into a mask of both anger and surprise, yet Larmo could see a disturbing amount of sorrow etched into the macabre features. Rhapsody stood staring at the dismembered body lying at her feet, leaking blood onto the tiles. The chair fell from her grasp and clattered onto the floor.

"You...you...you knocked...you knocked his head off!" Larmo croaked, close to collapse. His heart was beating painfully against his damaged ribs. The Ursaring continued to stare at the headless body in what looked like a combination of pure surprise and pure disbelief.

"Man...I really don't know my own strength..." she said softly, deadly serious. The flames from the body licked at her heels, and she grimaced, stepping back.

"What a bloody mess." She murmured, taking in the mural of blood decorating the room. 'Heh, bloody mess...bloody...get it? Ya geddit?" The Ursaring began to chuckle, her eyes wide and staring at nothing in particular. Her laughter was shallow and sounded forced. Larmo couldn't see the joke.

Rhapsody finished her display of personal amusement and turned to the Linoone. "Oh well. No use crying over split milk, eh?" Larmo just stared at her. She matched his gaze, until she turned away, grimacing.

"Damn your bloody eyes..." she growled. She turned her attention back to the body.

"Now what the hell am I going to do with this?" she murmured. "I should probably try to extinguish it or something...where the hell do they keep the fire extinguishers in this joint?"

Larmo watched the flames of Baboba's body slowly beginning to devour the shell he had departed. Something in the flickering of the flames hypnotised Larmo, and he found he could not tear his eyes away.

"Baboba..." he said softly.

"You say something?" Rhapsody asked, turning around. Larmo didn't answer. He simply continued to watch the flames. The Ursaring followed his gaze.

"Was he a friend of yours? Geez. If that was one of your friends, I would not want to meet one of your enemies."

Still Larmo made no response to Rhapsody's comments.

"Why?" he said softly, the flames flickering in his twin sapphire eyes. Rhapsody looked at him carefully.

"Are you wondering why he was insane?" she said quietly. The Linoone was able to tear his eyes away from the fire to stare at the Ursaring.

"...yes." was the soft reply.

Rhapsody moved closer to the bed, and lent on the metal railing at the base.

"I was watching your conversation from the door for a while. You two were so wrapped up in each other that neither of you noticed me standing there. He must have snuck into your room as I departed down the hallway in the opposite direction. If you are curious as to why your 'friend' was such a lunatic, I think I can answer that for you."

Larmo blinked, waiting for her to continue.

"His pain unhinged him. Why do you think he was able to walk around and converse with you when his body was in such a state? The terrible burns inflicted upon him didn't only destroy his skin, but his grip with reality also. I watched him carefully, the way he switched between 'normal' and insane. He wasn't in his right mind, Larmo. Couldn't you see? He wanted to kill you. Clearly a head case. It was a mercy for me to put him out of his misery." The way Rhapsody spoke lead Larmo to believe that he wasn't the only pokemon in the room she was trying to convince. From what Larmo could see, the Ursaring felt very guilty about what she had done, even though it had been an accident.

"So there you have it. It could be basically summed up with 'No brain, no pain'. Heehee, geddit?" The Ursaring let out a high pitched giggle that didn't quite suit her physique. Larmo looked at the sheets.

He wanted me dead. And...I can't blame him. Larmo began to tremble once again, and his onset of tears restarted.

Rhapsody stopped giggling to watch the Linoone silently sobbing, tears splattering all over the sheets.

"Erm...are you alright?" she said awkwardly. "Look, if he was an important friend, I'm...shit, I'm really sorry...it was an accident, I only meant...I only meant to knock him out, I...I didn't think his freaking head was gunna come off I, I...shit." Rhapsody looked down at her feet, as if they held the answers to her problems.

Larmo slowly shook his head, eyes closed, head down. "I don't blame you for anything." Rhapsody looked up, surprised.

"Oh, well...that's great then." she said. "And I...look, I'm sorry...about earlier. What I said, I mean. I was thinking about it and...look, it was really awful of me to act like that when I can see that...it's...it's really hurting you."

Larmo didn't respond. Rhapsody scratched her head sheepishly.

"I mean...everyone makes mistakes, right? Some just have...more consequences than others. But that doesn't mean we can't learn from them, right?"

An image flashed before Larmo's eyes.

"That's alright Larmo." The Mightyena said, smiling. "Everyone makes mistakes."

Makes mistakes...

A fresh onslaught of tears.

"Do you want me to leave?" Rhapsody asked softly. Larmo shook his head.

"Don't leave me. I can't be alone with my pain. It will destroy me. It already has."

The Ursaring picked up the chair she had used to kill Baboba with, and placed it right side up. She gingerly lowered herself down, and sat looking at Larmo.

"I understand how you feel." she said.

Despite everything, Larmo gave a whisper of a chuckle. "I don't think anyone could understand how I feel."

Rhapsody felt foolish. Of course she didn't understand. She was only responsible for the death of one pokemon.

He was responsible for the death of hundreds.

"I'm sorry...that was a stupid thing to say." she said, shamefaced. Larmo looked at her.

"Thank you for trying." It was so quiet, so inaudible, that Rhapsody wasn't quite sure she had actually heard it, or if her ears were playing tricks on her. Larmo was still looking at the sheets, a blank, lifeless expression on his face. Suddenly, he lifted his head, and looked out the tiny window in the room.

"Kenda?" he said, incredulously.

"Wha?" Rhapsody cried, leaping off the chair. "What are you talking about?!"

"It's Kenda! Can't you see him?!" Larmo pointed at the window. "He's there!"

Rhapsody followed Larmo's extended claw. And sighed sadly.

"Larmo...that's just a cloud." she said gently.

The Linoone began to tremble. He crouched over, as if struck in the stomach, and clawed at the bed.

"I can't take this anymore!" he sobbed, clutching desperately at the sheets. "I keep seeing his face everywhere! Whenever I close my eyes, he's there, smiling at me! Like nothing ever happened to him!" Tears dripped slowly down Larmo's face to make damp patterns on the white material. "I didn't...I didn't even get the chance...to say...to say..."

"Goodbye?" came Rhapsody's soft reply. Larmo didn't look up. Neither of them spoke, until the Linoone broke the silence.

"I'm sick of this."

"What?"

"I'm sick of this pain. This agony. I just want it to end." He turned to look at the cold steel of the Life Support machine. Slowly, he reached toward the wires connecting his body to it. His claws trembled over them.

"No don't!" Rhapsody cried, lunging forward. "That's what's keeping you alive!"

"Who says I want to be alive?!" Larmo yelled. Rhapsody stopped in mid lunge.

"Who says I want to keep living? These injuries I've sustained, they'll kill me eventually. I can't continue with a normal life. Besides, even if by some miracle of Ho-oh I do recover, I'm guaranteed a one way trip to the Dangerous Pokemon Correction Centre, or worse. I don't want to be a part of this world anymore. And the only way to remove myself is to cut these wires!"

"Don't!" Rhapsody yelled. "You touch those wires and I'll launch a Hyper Beam at you!"

Larmo turned to face her. There was no trace of fear on his features. Just cold defiance.

"I don't care, Rhapsody. Feel free to launch all the Hyper Beams you want. Don't you understand?! I don't want to live anymore! I want death to come and claim me so I can escape from this god-awful hospital! If I can't walk out the door, I'll just use the only other option I have. I'll die quickly. These injuries will see to that." He raised his claws over the wires like a guillotine blade dangling over someone's head.

His head.

"Wait!" Rhapsody cried. "You won't die straight away! It will take time!"

"Fine." Larmo said. "Then I will use plan B." And to Rhapsody's horror, he lowered his claws and placed them against his neck.

"I'll see Kenda again." he said softly.

"WAIT! WAIT, FOR THE LOVE OF HO-OH!" Rhapsody screamed. "You don't have to die that way, alone, here!"

"What?" Larmo was confused. "What do you mean?"

"I...I can...I can get you...out..." Rhapsody seemed to be having a great struggle within herself.

"Can..." Larmo said incredously. "Can you get me out of here?"

"I...yes."

"Why would you do that?" he asked softly.

Rhapsody glared at him. "You think I want to watch you kill yourself in front of me?! It was bad enough watching that Ponyta's head go flying across the freaking room, spurting blood everywhere like some kind of fucked up fountain! I don't wanna see any more blood spilled over this stupid rebellion of yours!" she yelled.

Larmo watched her, hardly daring to breath.

"I...I will take you outside, where you can die in peace."

Such a morbid statement would have normally caused Larmo to feel horror and disgust. But not anymore. Rhapsody's words injected a strange feeling into the tattered remains of Larmo's heart. He was happy.

"You would do that...for me?"

"Yes, for the love of Suicune!" Rhapsody cried. "Didn't I already say that!?"

Larmo stared at the Ursaring. Tears began to well up in his eyes.

"I...I don't know what to say..."

"Then don't say anything!" she grumbled. "Just be quiet, and for the love of all the god damn legendaries up there, take your freaking claws away from your throat! I'll be back in a minute!"

Rhapsody shoved open the door to the room, and stepped into the corridor. She leant against the wall, where she stood breathing heavily.

'What the hell did I just do?!' she thought. 'Did I just agree to take a wanted pokemon outside a secure area to a place where he could die in peace, away from the law?! What the hell came over me?' The Ursaring scratched her head.

"How the hell am I going to do this..." she sighed, rubbing her eyes with the back of her paw. "Wait, why the hell am I going to do this?! I have no obligation to that Linoone! He hurt Samuel! I could just walk away and not come back, and he couldn't do a thing! Yeah!"

'I really must get out of the habit of talking to myself out loud. It's creepy.'

The Ursaring tiptoed up to the door of Larmo's room. She peered through the little window at the top.

He was lying there; eyes open, staring at the ceiling as if in a daze. His claws rested on his stomach, and he occasionally fiddled with them. He was waiting for her.

"God dammit..." she snarled, gouging her long claws into the wall. "I can't leave him...I'll never live with myself if I do...****!" The Ursaring wrenched her nails out, furious with herself for agreeing to aid the escape of the pokemon that nearly killed her and her best friend.

"What's come over me, Samuel?" she said, speaking to no one in particular. "Why do I feel such pity for this pokemon? Why do I want to help him like I do?"

'Why?'

---CONTINUED NEXT POST---

Last edited:

Typhlogirl

keep battling on!
Larmo raised his head as Rhapsody came back into the room, pushing a food trolley covered in a white blanket.

"You are bloody lucky that no one was around when I grabbed this, or I would have been busted!" she grumbled, pushing the trolley up to the bed. Larmo didn't say anything. His words were conveyed with his eyes, which were bright.

"Now, for the love of...ugh, I've gotta stop saying that! Just stay very still!" she cried. Larmo obeyed. The Ursaring walked up to the machines. After examining them carefully, she came to the conclusion that the best option would be to disconnect the Linoone from them as opposed to disconnecting the wires from their roots, as that would mean the Linoone would have a bunch of chords trailing from his body. Moving over to him, she gingerly unwrapped the bandages swathing the majority of his body, so the connections were visible. Larmo winced.

"I am 90% sure this is going to hurt!" she cautioned. Larmo gave her a grimace.

"I think I can handle it." he said softly. Rhapsody frowned.

"Alright then, you seem to be confident in your endurance. Now, when I remove these chords, things are going to get a lot harder for you than they are now. Just remember to breathe slowly, and try not to talk, because that'll just use up your energy! Ready?"

A nod.

"Okay, here I go!" With surprising accuracy and grace, Rhapsody plucked the numerous wires out of Larmo's body. She placed them beside him on the bed.

"Are you alright?" she asked anxiously after she had finished.

As soon as Rhapsody had started removing the wires, Larmo felt his strength disappear from his body. The removal of each wire sent a stab of pain through his body. He suddenly felt very tired, and allowed his eyelids to droop.
"Larmo? Oi, try to keep your eyes open!" Rhapsody cried. "I'll get you out of here soon, I promise! Just please, don't go to sleep, I beg you!"

Larmo didn't reply, but he forced his eyes to open as they would normally.

Rhapsody gently picked him up off the bed, being excruciating careful of his injuries, and of her claws. But, if Larmo felt any pain, he certainly didn't show it. She was surprised at how light he was. She really didn't know her new strength. Using her teeth, Rhapsody lifted the white blanket hanging over the food trolley and placed Larmo on the shelf underneath it. As she lowered it, her dark eyes met Larmo's blue orbs.

"I...trust..." he began to speak. He sounded one hundred years old, and his voice was cracked and weak.

Rhapsody shushed him gently. "Don't speak." She finished lowering the blanket, and proceeded to push the trolley toward the door, being as gentle as she could. The wheels made soft squeaking sounds on the tiled floor. As she pushed the trolley out the door, she turned and looked at Baboba's body lying spread-eagled on the floor, and at the bizarre blood patterns skating the walls.

"I pity the cleaners." she said simply.

Rhapsody pushed the cart along the hallway as silently as the squeaky wheels would allow. Fortunately for her, the floor seemed to be deserted.

'If someone caught me with the Linoone...I would be so screwed." she thought. 'Why, I don't even know what would happen...I'd probably be taken away from Samuel, for one thing...probably be sent to the DPCC...spend a good number of years there...damn. Why am I doing this again?'

She could hear Larmo's scattered breathing beneath the veil of the blanket. He didn't sound too good.

'Crap, I have to hurry!'

Rhapsody ever so gently increased her speed. To her annoyance, the wheels started to squeak louder.

'Not fair...why do I get the crappy trolley?' she grumbled in her head, turning around a sharp corner.

She knew where to go. The Ursaring had explored the hospital when she first arrived here with Samuel by helicopter, courtesy of the police. No one questioned her. They were too busy with the injured pokemon or the rabid media to worry about a random Ursaring sniffing around. She wasn't doing anyone any harm, anyway. Rhapsody had found, in her wanderings, the employee exit of the hospital down on the west wing which, fortunately, was the same side as the forest she was heading to. By some bizarre blessing of the legendaries, the pokemon hospital was situated on the very edge of the city, near the tree line. A weird-*** choice for a hospital location, but Rhapsody wasn't arguing. She followed the path in her mind, hoping that it was the right one. She couldn't afford to make any mistakes, for both her sake and Larmo's.

"Rhapsody?"

If the Ursaring had been plunged into the waters of the Antarctic, she wouldn't have frozen faster than she did then. She couldn't even turn around to face whoever was addressing her. Her paws were wrapped around the bar, and she was sure she was squeezing it too tight, as it was buckling under the pressure.

"What on earth are you doing with that trolley?

Rhapsody was both delighted and horrified to hear that familiar voice.

"Samuel!" she said happily, with a huge fake grin oh her face. "What are you doing here?"

Samuel's arm was bound tightly in numerous bandages, and it lay in a sling. He also had random cuts and bruises, some bandaged, some not. He was dressed in a police shirt, as Rhapsody had destroyed his old one. "Erm, nothing I suppose. Why, what are you doing here? And what's with the trolley?"

"What, this trolley?"

"Um, yeah?"

"I'm, er, I'm just helping a nurse with her rounds! Yes, see, this nurse approached me and asked if I could, er, push this trolley for her as she has, er, a bad leg!"

"But why does she have to use the trolley if she can't push it?"

"Er, well er, y'see, she usually isn't meant to do the rounds with the trolley but, erm, because of all the injured pokemon coming in she has to do it today, um, yeah."

"I see." Samuel said, giving Rhapsody a weird look. "Well, I won't stop you then. You keep going with your rounds."

Rhapsody's fake grin increased in size. "Thanks Sammy! I guess I'll see you later then! BYE!" And Rhapsody took off down the hallway, the trolley's wheel's squeaking loudly in bitter protest.

"Bye." Samuel said softly.

'I didn't know any of the nurses could speak Ursaring...'

Rhapsody finally arrived at the employee exit. With a mighty punch on her count, the locked door flew open and proceeded to go flying into a car and through the windscreen.

Rhapsody then said a very bad word.

Fuming, she carried the trolley down the small flight of stairs and into the carpark. The sunlight burned her eyes. She couldn't tell what time of day it was. As her eyes adjusted to the brilliant glare, she took a quick look around the area. Luckily for her (the legendaries were really smiling on her today), the employee carpark was practically deserted. There was no sign of anyone. Breathing a sigh of relief, the Ursaring gently lifted off the blanket to expose the pokemon beneath it.

"You okay?"

Larmo looked up at the Ursaring staring down at him. He gently inclined his head.

"Good." She said, gingerly lifting him off the steel shelf. Placing him on the ground, she quickly stowed the trolley in the shadow made by the stairs. As for the blanket, she ripped it to shreds, and scattered them to the wind. No one could find out she was involved with Larmo's escape. No one. With one final glance around the area, she gently picked up the near-unconscious Linoone and took off into the forest.

The column of smoke emerging from the ruins of the Radio Tower marked the spot of the catastrophe better than an 'x' on a treasure map. Below, on the ground underneath the black pylon, the remaining members of the Goldenrod fire crew sifted through the rubble in a vain attempt to locate any more survivors. They weren't optimistic about their chances. The bodies of the dead were numerous and, even though the disaster had been two days previous, more were still being uncovered.

Lance had remained at the scene of the tragedy to oversee the operations. He now stood amidst the debris, his cape fluttering in the tiny breeze that timidly made its way through the cracks and crevices. The Dragon master had still not given his permission for the paparazzi to be allowed in the area, and they were currently being restrained by the police, preaching about 'freedom of the press'. Lance did not intend to release any info about the disaster, but still, he knew most of it would escape anyway. The world would find out about the group of pokemon that turned the biggest city in Johto into a ghost town.

Whitney had also chosen to stick around and help out. Lance found that he had a new respect for the young girl gym leader. She was full of boundless energy, passing out drinks to exhausted firemen and aiding the nurses with their duties. Lance doubted if she had had more than four hours of sleep over the past two days.

Whitney had been lucky in the regard that the explosion had not done any real damage to her gym. Sure, all the windows needed to be replaced and there was a hole in the roof from where a stray piece of debris had crashed through, but in comparison with the station, which was next to the Radio Tower, the gym had escaped unscathed.

Lance turned as he heard someone approaching him.

"Ah, hello. How is everything going?" he said.

Whitney walked over and sat down at his feet, sighing. "Okay, I guess. I'm just sick of seeing all the dead bodies being dragged out of the rubble."

"I think everyone is." Lance murmured. "It was a terrible event."

"But still," Whitney said, "at least the Linoone was lying when he told us about the dynamite. Otherwise Goldenrod would have been leveled."

Lance nodded in agreement. "I didn't think the Linoone would have been able to obtain that much dynamite, but I couldn't take a chance on an assumption."

The pair was silent for a while, both glancing around the area. Then Whitney spoke up.

"When the dynamite exploded...I...I was so scared." she said softly. "Not for myself, but for my city. That was the only thought in my mind at the time. Just the thought that Goldenrod was going to be destroyed. It was all I could think about."

"You were knocked unconscious, weren't you?" Lance asked. Whitney nodded.

"I was kind of close to the building when it happened. I was lucky to escape with only a cut on my head. When I woke up later that day, I thought that Goldenrod was no more. I was relieved to find out the truth, let me tell you now."

A small smile graced Lance's lips. "I think we all were."

"Have you got the date of the memorial service for the victims of the explosion?" the gym leader asked.

"I consulted the rest of the Johto gym leaders, but we haven't reached an exact date yet. But it's most likely going to be some time after we finish the work here."

Whitney turned back to the rubble. "It won't be for a while then." she said sadly.

The silence returned back to the pair. They were happy to enjoy it for a little while, until Whitney again felt the urge to speak up.

"Why don't you sit down? Your leg must be hurting you."

Lance looked down at his left leg, which was swathed in bandages, courtesy of the explosion. "I would, but I can't risk this cape getting dirty. It's an absolute pain to clean."

Whitney smiled. "Why do you wear it then?"

"Clair would tell you that it's my gigantic ego coming into play." Lance said dryly, which made Whitney laugh. "But that's not the reason."

Whitney gave Lance a look.

"Whaat? It isn't! Really!" he replied indignantly, which only made Whitney laugh more. Lance looked annoyed, but ended up laughing along with the gym leader. It was a strange feeling, to be laughing where so many had ended their lives.

Whitney stopped laughing when she heard her name being called. "Looks like they need me over there."

Lance smiled at her. "You'd better go then."

The girl returned his smile, and stood up, brushing the dust off her shorts. She headed off in the direction of the tents.

Lance was about follow her when he felt a presence behind him.

"So there you are! I wondered where you had gotten off to," he said, without turning around.

Lance's Dragonite flapped its wings. "I needed to stretch my wings a little. All this walking around does them no good."

Lance turned to his pokemon. "Would you mind going for another flight? I feel like some fresh air."

"It would be an honour to transport the great Dragon Master around upon my back," The Dragonite replied, bowing. Lance lifted himself up, and positioned his legs according to the curves of Dragonite's body.

"I see you're back to your old sarcastic self," he said, as they took off into the air.

"I never thought I had left," The Dragon replied, gliding slowly as to allow conversation.

"You know what I mean. You had been acting strangely ever since we took off for Goldenrod."

The dragon pondered the accusation, letting the wind caress his wingtips. "Perhaps it was just the atmosphere."

Lance could tell his pokemon was avoiding the subject. "Just what did you and that Linoone talk about?"

"I'm sorry?"

"In the battle. I watched you two. You were having quite the shouting match."

"Angry words were exchanged, yes."

"Just what kind of words? It must have been something pretty bad to put you in the mood you were in."

"You're rather rude for someone who has placed his life in my hands," came the dry reply. Lance laughed.

"Alright, I'm sorry. I was just worried about you."

"What are you, my mother?" Dragonite replied, amused by his trainers sentimentality. "If you were that worried about me, I suppose I could enlighten you to the workings of my mind."

"Your mind? On second thought, I don't want to know," Lance joked.

"Very funny. Do you want me to tell you or not?"

"I do. I'm sorry, I'll be serious now."

"Oh good." The Dragonite banked to the left, and Lance shifted his weight to allow for easier movement.

"I suppose my main concern was how these pokemon were interfering with the balance that has existed between man and pokemon for centuries," the dragon said. "I'm a realist. The balance that we have is constantly under pressure from both sides, which makes it come close to tipping over. Enter that Linoone and his gang, and I feared for the balance's stability. But, I am a pokemon at heart, and it made me sad to see those poor fools trying to resist the power of humanity."

"You make us sound like tyrants," Lance said, blinking from the sunlight.

The Dragonite turned his head to look his trainer in the eye. "Maybe you are." He then said no more. Lance frowned, concerned by his pokemon's behaviour. The Dragonite gently coasted back down to the ground, landing perfectly on his two back feet. He bent down, and Lance got off his back. The dragon then retook to the skies without a word.

The Dragon master sighed. Perhaps his dragon was right in some aspects of his opinions (of which there were many). Lance didn't know what was going to happen now. All he knew was that the world had seen the power of ideas. He just hoped the world would learn from it.

The Dragon master looked over to where Whitney was assisting the Nurse Joy on duty with an injured Blastoise. The pokemon was hunched over, and pawing at its face. Burns, most likely. A large number of the pokemon assisting the fire fighters received facial injuries. That reminded him of something.

When the Nurse Joy had told him about the fate of his Aerodactyl, Lance was unsure how to react. Certainly not with happiness. He could tell that the Nurse was watching him, waiting to see how he would react to both the news and to his now blind pokemon. Lance had been unable to face his pokemon. He had no idea what to say. What was one supposed to say in that situation? So Lance had seen fit to avoid going near the medical tents, in fear that the Nurse Joy would try to capture him and make him see his pokemon. Pretending his pokemon didn't exist made the dragon master feel like scum, but at that moment he had no idea what else to do.

'There are some things in life that are just too difficult to face head on...' he thought sadly. He looked up as Whitney ran back over to him.

"We've found a survivor!" she cried happily, waving at him. "A pokemon, alive after two days under the rubble!!"

Lance was struck dumb for a moment, then he smiled.

'But, then again...if we don't face those things head on, we can never hope to overcome both them and our fears.'

The Nurse Joy looked up as she heard someone entering her medical tent.

"Lance!" she cried, surprised to see him. The Dragon Master's face was contorted with seriousness.

"I want to see my Aerodactyl."

The Nurse Joy stared at him for a moment. "Are you sure?"

He nodded.

Her face broke into a smile. "He's been waiting for you, as have I."

Lance returned her smile. "I know. I'm finally ready to face my fears, and accept what happened. Because it's Aerodactyl that suffered the most. I have no right to act like I am the one who was injured."

The Nurse nodded. "I'm glad you feel that way. Aerodactyl will be happy."

Lance smiled again, and pushed the flap away.

Rhapsody strode purposely through the forest, Larmo dangling in her arms. She had no idea as to the direction she was going, so she was relying on her instinct to guide her through the trees.

'I just have to get as far away from the hospital as I can...that way, the police won't be able to find out I had anything to do with this...' she thought. The Ursaring looked down at the Linoone lying doll-like in her arms.

'He hasn't got much time left...'

Cursing softly, the Ursaring picked up speed, going further and further into the forest. A Taillow cawed nearby.

'They've probably discovered he's missing by now...' she thought grimly. 'I hope I didn't leave a trail...' With this disturbing thought in her mind, she sped deeper and deeper into the forest, until she lost all sense of what direction she was traveling in. The sun shone overhead, but it was of no help to Rhapsody, as she had no idea how to read it. Soon she began to feel uneasy. The trees rose up around her like silent observers, and the lack of noise or any real signs of life disturbed her greatly, and angered her.

"Where the bloody hell am I?" she cried angrily, looking around for any sort of bearing on her position. Her angry yelling snapped Larmo out of the stupor he had fallen into.

"What...where?" he croaked. She looked down at him.

"I'm lost," she said miserably. Larmo blinked.

"Lost?"

"Yes," Rhapsody grumbled. "I have no idea where I am. God dammit, why does this always happen to me?!" She slammed her free arm into the nearest tree with a loud thunk, and a storm of bark flakes flew into the air after being freed by her claws.

Larmo didn't answer her. Instead, he closed his eyes and sniffed the air.

"Can you smell that?" he asked softly.

"Smell what?" the Ursaring asked, pulling her claws from the maimed trunk of the tree. She raised her nose and sniffed the air also. A grimace crossed her face.

"Ugh! Whatever it is, it smells god-awful!" she cried, covering her muzzle with her paw. "Why the hell did you ask me to sniff it?"

"Because I recognize it," Larmo replied, his voice soft. "Please, go that way!" He pointed with a claw.

"But that's towards the stench!" Rhapsody protested. "Are you mad? It's probably something dead and rotting!"

"Exactly. Please Rhapsody...I need to be sure." Larmo pleaded. The Ursaring stared at him for a moment, then rolled her eyes.

"Fine! If you insist!" She steadied him in her arms, and headed in the direction he had indicated. The more they traveled, the stronger the smell became, until the stench was almost unbearable. Rhapsody wrinkled her nose in disgust.

"I don't know what you expect to find." she said, striding onward. "It's not like it's going to be anything spectacular. From the smell, I'd say that, whatever it is, it sure as hell won't be pretty. Are you even listening?" Larmo was staring straight ahead, his eyes wide. Rhapsody also looked up, expecting to see, judging by the Linoone's expression, something amazing and wondrous.

"It's a rotten log." she said flatly.

"It's the log..." Larmo said incredulously. "The rotten log we hid in when we were hiding from the Growlithe!"

"Who?"

"Kenda and I!" Larmo cried, tears pouring down his face. "We hid here when I first escaped from my trainer and the police were pursuing us!"

"How...nice!" Rhapsody said, the fake grin returning to her face. "I've always thought a rotten log was a great symbol of the friendship between two pokemon!"

Larmo either didn't recognize the sarcasm in her voice, or he didn't care. He just continued to stare at the log, tears continuing to leak out of his eyes.

Rhapsody sighed, and placed him gently on the ground so she could stretch her cramped arm. Larmo didn't seem to mind.

"So what you are basically saying is that this...log...is where you met Kenda, or something?"

"Sort of," came the reply. "It was pretty soon after we had first bumped in to each other. I had Growlithe from the police force with me, as I had left my trainer with a...goodbye present, you see. Across his face."

Rhapsody blinked, amused. "You really are a psycho."

Larmo gave her a look. "Trust me, this kid deserved it. Anyway, Kenda led me here and we hid inside the log, and the Growlithe didn't find me!"

"So basically the sight of this log reminds you of the good times you and Kenda had together?"

"I wouldn't put it quite so bluntly but yes, in essence, that is correct." After that sentence left his mouth, Larmo exploded into a coughing fit.

"Larmo!" Rhapsody cried, attempting to kneel on her stumpy legs. "Are you alright?! Here, I'll pat you on the ba...okay, maybe I won't do that, but I'll find you some water or something just please try to hold on for a little longer!"

The Linoone raised a claw to tell her to stay. His coughing soon subsided, and he laid back on the grass, eyes half closed in fatigue.

"Are you okay?" Rhapsody asked timidly. Larmo looked up at her.

"Why do you care about me?" he asked.

"What?"

"I don't understand. Why do you care about what happens to me? About my losses? Why are you giving me your sympathy, when all I ever did was hurt you?" Larmo said weakly. "I don't understand. Why do you care? Why are you showing me kindness, instead of the hatred I deserve?"

Rhapsody didn't answer immediately. She played with a weed growing near her foot. Then she looked down at the Linoone lying in the grass.

"Because I forgive you," she whispered.

Larmo's eyes widened. Then, slowly but surely, a small smile began to creep onto his face.

"Thank you," was the simply reply. Then the startling blue eyes began to close, and his body began to go limp.

"Larmo? Hey, Larmo! Oi! Wake up! Don't go to sleep, don't! Hey!" Rhapsody picked the frail Linoone up and proceeded to try to shake him into wakefulness. "Wake up! Please! Just hold on a little longer!" Rhapsody didn't know it, but her own tears had begun their journey down her cheeks. "Please don't...don't be...not now...c'mon Linoone, don't leave me alone out here...hey! Will-you-wake-up?"

"He's not going to awaken," came a voice from behind the log. Rhapsody immediately dropped Larmo like he was red hot, and scrambled to her feet, claws at the ready, her heart beating a swift tattoo against her ribcage.

"Hey! Whoever you are, come out coward!" she yelled, her voice trembling, to her credit, only slightly. "Don't hide, unless you're scared!"

Rhapsody heard footsteps as the owner of the voice walked through the grass, to emerge out from behind the log.

"Who the bloody hell are you?" Rhapsody asked, with her usual tact.

The Chansey, as it was, looked not at Rhapsody, but at the Linoone at her feet. "I see the world has finally claimed him."

The Ursaring blinked. "What the heck? You know him?"

The sunlight streamed down through the thin canopy of leaves, to catch on the ring dangling from one of the Chansey's dreadlocks. "I do know of him, yes."

Rhapsody puzzled over the answer for a minute, then she said "Hang on! You're one of the Chansey's from the hospital, aren't you?! You're gunna report me to the police!"

The strange pokemon laughed softly. "I am afraid you are mistaken, Ursaring. I haven't worked in a hospital for decades."

Rhapsody was completely bamboozled. "Then I'm lost. Who on earth are you?"

The Chansey glided over to where Larmo laid in the grass. "I am one of those pokemon who believed in a better future for us all, and was caught in the blast of our ambitions."

It took Rhapsody a few good seconds to decipher the cryptic statement. Then it clicked.

"You're one of the rebel pokemon, aren't you?" Rhapsody's only response was a smile.

"But then...how are you...you're all..."

"Unscathed? That's a question for another time, and time is of the essence here. It's your duty to finish what you started, Rhapsody."

The Ursaring blinked, utterly perplexed by this strange pokemon. "What do you mean?"

The Chansey indicated Larmo, lying so peacefully on the ground. "His final journey has already begun. It's is your task to find an appropriate grave for his old vessel."

"Hang on, grave?! He's not dead!" Rhapsody cried angrily. "I was talking to him a second ago!"

The Chansey's naturally smiling face grew somber. "I think you might discover otherwise."

Rhapsody glared at the weird pokemon, then bent down to examine the Linoone lying at her feet.

"Larmo?" she whispered softly. "Larmo, wake up. C'mon, it's not funny anymore." She started to shake him. "I don't know what you are playing at, but you better stop! C'mon! Is this how you reward me for going to all the trouble of getting you out of that hospital!? OI! WAKE UP, YOU STUPID LINOONE!" she screamed, shaking him furiously. The Chansey placed her arm on Rhapsody's shoulder.

"He isn't going to wake, dear."

The Ursaring was hunched over, her massive shoulder's trembling. With a mighty roar, she slammed her claws into the ground beside Larmo's head, sending a small tremor through the area. For the strange Chansey had been right in her assumption. Larmo was dead. The bright blue eyes were now closed for all eternity, and the deadly killing claws laid limply at his sides.

"No...it's not possible..." Rhapsody said, staring blankly at Larmo's lifeless body. "He can't be dead..."

The Chansey frowned. "I understand this must be a shock for you. It's always a tragedy when life is lost."

"But he...all he said...no last words, nothing meaningful...just..."

"Thank you?"

"Yeah..." Rhapsody replied, still staring blankly at the calm face of the Linoone lying in front of her.

The Chansey smiled. "I don't think you can quite understand just what your words meant to that pokemon. To hear, just before he died surrounded by his own bitter darkness and pain, forgiveness from someone he had hurt, well...that was like a beam of light shining through to his heart. It allowed him to be at peace, that light did. Your light, Rhapsody."

"My light..." she murmured.

"It rescued him," the Chansey continued. "Your kindness spared him a lonely, dark death. It was his own guilt and grief that was plunging him deeper and deeper into a void where no light could possibly hope to reach, until you rescued him and showed him the light that burns inside you, despite your...rough exterior.

"Your light brings joy to those around you, Rhapsody. Your trainer, for example. You are the light that saves him from the darkness in his life. And just how you saved him, you have also saved Larmo. Never forget that it only takes an idea to change the world, just as it only takes a kind word to save someone.

"I want you to carry that message with you throughout your life. Remember the sacrifices these pokemon made to make their message heard. Remember the pain, the sorrow, the tears. Remember the lives that were lost, and the lives that were changed. Remember that even the smallest, most insignificant Rattata can still topple the mightiest Tyranitar if it wants to. If it has that will. Larmo had that will. Larmo was that Rattata. And Larmo toppled that Tyranitar. The question is, do you have the strength to face you own battles like he faced his? With your life on the line? Have you learned from his mistakes?"

Rhapsody was silent, absorbing the Chansey's words. She watched the fur on Larmo's face moving gently with the wind. Then she looked the Chansey in the eye.

"Yes."

Nuumanjya smiled.

"Then the rebellion meant something," she said simply. She walked over to the rotten log. For some reason, the smell no longer bothered Rhapsody that much.

"I want you to place the body inside here." she ordered. "This is a symbol of the bonds of friendship that existed between not just Larmo and Kenda, but all the pokemon in that radio tower. It is fitting that Larmo should find his final rest here. Plus," she added, "the particular fragrance of this log will disguise Larmo's scent, so he cannot be found by police dogs. He deserves peace."

"We all do." Rhapsody murmured, gently picking up the body and walking over to where the Chansey was indicating.

"In here?"

"As deep as you can place him."

Taking a deep breath, Rhapsody crawled inside the log, and pushed Larmo deep into the heart of the log. She then reemerged, brushing the rot off her body.

"He will now be at peace," The Chansey murmured.

Rhapsody kept her eyes on the log. "I hope so. By the way," she added, turning around, "I didn't catch your-"

A single leaf detached from a branch and fluttered around the empty clearing.

"...name." the Ursaring finished, blinking. 'Where did she go?'

Rhapsody felt the wind picking up as she pondered over the Chansey's sudden disappearance. More leaves joined the first one, riding the wind in what looked like a ballet performed solely by nature. Rhapsody stood in the embrace of the wind, closing her eyes as the leaves danced around her. She felt a strange feeling of peace overcoming her, filling her senses. The odd Chansey's words rung around her mind.

"Perhaps the world will change from now on," she thought aloud, smiling as she realised it.

Rhapsody wandered through the forest, heading back to the hospital where Samuel was waiting. She didn't know how she eventually found her way out, but she was sure that a strange force was guiding her. The Ursaring could not tell if it was just pure instinct, or something more. But whatever it was, it soon guided her to the forest fringes. She could see the hospital in the distance.

Rhapsody felt the rays of the sun stroking her face. She looked up, and squinted, receiving an eyeful of light.

"Ow," She muttered. But she didn't turn away. The clouds, eternal travelers of the skies, looked down upon her. One cloud in particular caught her attention. By some chance coincidence, she recognized it as the cloud Larmo had pointed out earlier.

"It does look like a Mightyena." she murmured. Then, her eyes widened. Because she swore she could see a cloud shaped just like a Linoone floating alongside the other.

~THE END~​

-;157;

Timid Kyogre

Endangered Creature
LAAAAAAAARMOOOOO ;_________;

Nuumanjya's words were err...emm...wise? XD no, seriously, they were. I don't know if it's just me, but in that chapter, you described death in a very good way. To lose someone that meant so much to you is never easy, and again, I think you described it very well.

"Sort of," came the reply. "It was pretty soon after we had first bumped in to each other. I had Growlithe from the police force with me, as I had left my trainer with a...goodbye present, you see. Across his face."

Rhapsody blinked, amused. "You really are a psycho."

Indeed he is.

"It does look like a Mightyena." she murmured. Then, her eyes widened. Because she swore she could see a cloud shaped just like a Linoone floating alongside the other.

Awesome.

D: I can't stop saying awesome!

How Baboba died absolutely goes well with how he acted. Seriously, HIS HEAD FLYING OFF? Nothing more awesome than that.

"I see." Samuel said, giving Rhapsody a weird look. "Well, I won't stop you then. You keep going with your rounds."

Rhapsody's fake grin increased in size. "Thanks Sammy! I guess I'll see you later then! BYE!" And Rhapsody took off down the hallway, the trolley's wheel's squeaking loudly in bitter protest.

"Bye." Samuel said softly.

'I didn't know any of the nurses could speak Ursaring...'

Lmfao. XD

This was a very great ending to this fic, Typhie. You really did a great job in this, and I wish you best of luck with any of the fics you're going to write in the future...or whatever. xP

SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU BE PATIENT, PEOPLE!

~Timid Kyogre

SpaceFlare

insert custom title
I don't have much time on my hands left to write a decent comment but even then I wouldn't be able to write much...

I've enjoyed reading this all the way through and I have to say that this is a brilliant ending to this fic.

I hope to read some more of your work soon. :D

Isfahan

Larmo became rather self-pitying by the end there; that, coupled with his inability to respond to any bad news not related to him or his own friendships, well... it didn't do much to refute Baboba's claims that Larmo's motivations behind inciting a rebellion had been mostly selfish. While it's true Baboba said it in the throes of insanity, I still happen to agree, heh.

A fine finish, Typhlogirl. :)

What can be said about a great final chapter to such a great story?

Suddenly, a chair connected to a furious Ursaring swung around and smashed Baboba in the side of the head. Larmo could do nothing but watch as, with a sick, tearing sound, the Ponyta's head disconnected from his ravaged body to go flying across the room. Its flight was cut short by the wall, which it hit with a horrible squelching noise, and slid down to the bottom, leaving a streak of blood to mark its gruesome journey. Baboba's face was contorted into a mask of both anger and surprise, yet Larmo could see a disturbing amount of sorrow etched into the macabre features. Rhapsody stood staring at the dismembered body lying at her feet, leaking blood onto the tiles. The chair fell from her grasp and clattered onto the floor.

"You...you...you knocked...you knocked his head off!" Larmo croaked, close to collapse. His heart was beating painfully against his damaged ribs. The Ursaring continued to stare at the headless body in what looked like a combination of pure surprise and pure disbelief.

"Man...I really don't know my own strength..." she said softly, deadly serious. The flames from the body licked at her heels, and she grimaced, stepping back.

0_0

Either Baboba was incredibly weak in his burned stage or Rhapsody is incredibly strong! Either way, I'm glad he died. To be honest, I don't know how much longer I could stand Baboba and his sarcasm. What was he? Heartless? o_0

I enjoyed the final chapter. Though I feel somewhat sad that Larmo is gone now. Mind you that if I could, I'd be shedding tears right now.

A rotten log as a symbol of friendship? 0_0 That's new. :)

There's so much good stuff you put into this final chapter. It was definately worth the wait. ^_^

You did a great job.

As always, it's sad to see such a great story come to an end. :(

Still, awesome job, Typhlogirl! ^_^

Well, I'll see ya later. ^_^

hammy_ham_ham

Unleash your Phantom
I'm not quite sure how to put a comment to this, simply because there haven't been words invented to describe the rolling bacll of emotions crawling around my ribcage. Of course, for the atmosphere, the entire time I was reading this I was listening to 'Father and Son' (which, in my opinion, is very much the perfect song for this as far as the rebellion goes, right along with 'Savin' Me' for the final chapter))

This almost broguht a tear to my eye. No story has really brought tears to my eyes, but this came d*** close. Such imagery, and such description... You really don't half-*** anything, do ya?

Astinus

I saw no credit to me for proof-reading. You vile person you! D=

Kidding. Just kidding.

Well, I told you the general consensus over the chapter on MSN and in email. And like I promised, I shall now quote my favorite parts...

I visibly shuddered at this moment. To picture a flying horse head... Say, aren't horse heads in beds used to pretell death in those mafia movies? Nice bit of symbolism right there!

I liked how Larmo finally realised that others died for his own cause. I enjoy books where that is the lesson, as it widens the main character's eyes. It also wakes up the reader, and makes them realise that others suffer for their actions.

Why am I treating this like a college literature class?

Anyhow, this was a spectacular ending to a great story. Ideas always come from simple daydreams...studying, I mean. Get this stickied so that it doesn't get lost in the anals of forums.