• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Pokemon world, and where places are in it.

danburite3

This thread originally started off in the site discussion forum, and was about the PokeEarth page, which I consider to be woefully inaccurate. However, as I began writing it, I realised that the general discussion forum was a better fit.
So, here we go!

Given that it's been pretty much confirmed that the Pokemon world is based off Japan, with Orre being Arizona and Unova being New York, wouldn't it make sense for the PokeEarth page to reflect that?

As it is, there doesn't seem to be any real consistency to the map in regards to their real-world counterparts, and I have a few suggestions that could be considered for its next update.

• Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, the Sevii Islands and Sinnoh are Japan. Full stop. Cultually and geographically, it makes sense, and at the very least Sinnoh was confirmed in Coro Coro to be Hokkaido. The rest you can figure out with a little common sense. Although I dislike using the anime as a basis for discussing the games, this map at least gives us a general idea of its layout. Besides, I doubt Game Freak allow an innacurate map of their world. Probably.
  • With Unova and Orre both being based on the United States, it makes sense that they'd be on the same landmass. However, Orre is unusal in that it doesn't have a regional Pokemon League and very few native Pokemon species. However, Pokemon Battling is still a popular sport here, and as of XD, there are some wild Pokemon beginning to migrate to the region. To me, this suggests that it is in an area adjacent to a region with wild Pokemon, even though Orre itself is for the most part, unsuitable for Pokemon to live in. My suggestion? Orre is next to Unova.
    However, here's where it gets tricky. Orre has abundant vegetation only on its west side, which is the opposite direction that Arizona is to New York. Additionally, Kanto and Johto-based Pokemon (seemingly the most common breeds of Pokemon in the Pokemon world, and with a few exceptions, the sole Pokemon breeds found in Orre) are located on Unova's east side. Therefore, it seems reasonable to me that if Unova and Orre are on the same landmass, Orre would be found east of Unova.
  • The regions from the Pokemon Ranger games are culturally, completely different to the above regions. There's no League, no Trainers, and the culture appears to frown on catching Pokemon. Fiore is at least close to Sinnoh, according to the Manaphy event. Additionally, Almia appears to be the missing southern penninsula of Sinnoh, though this is mere speculation. However, it isn't unreasonable to assume that the Ranger regions are close to Sinnoh, as well as to each other, judging from their culture. Could the Japan of the Pokemon world be divided into two separate countries?
    However, culturally speaking, it makes no sense for Sinnoh to be north of all of the Ranger regions AND the main game regions. Therefore, at the very least, Sinnoh is (again, speculation, but geographically it makes sense) north of Almia, while the other Ranger regions are nearby. My personal belief is that Fiore is somehow connected to the same landmass that the Battle Zone is (partially thanks to the majority of the landmass being obscured in D/P, but also thanks to its abundance of non-Sinnoh Pokemon), while Oblivia quite possibly broke off from the same penninsula that the Sinnoh Pokemon League did, and is somewhere around there. Again, speculation, but it's at least possible.

So, in conclusion!
1. Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sevii Islands and Sinnoh: layed out similarly to Japan.
2. Unova and Orre: far away, roughly in the same area as the United States (which does exist in the Pokemon World, which according to various Pokedex entries, only really differs to our world with the existence of Pokemon).
3. Fiore, Almia and Oblivia: at the very least near Sinnoh, possibly surrounding it to the south and east, quite possibly coinciding with the real-world Kuril Islands, which are contested by both Japan and Russia. Could possibly be a reason for not only the Ranger region's close proximity to Sinnoh, but also their different culture.

So... thoughts?

Last edited:

SaturnCoffee

FIVE MORE MINUTES!
Interesting, I never thought about where the regions would be in the real world. This must have taken a while to figure out.

fhqwhgads

Elaborate idea, but you're assuming based off basically means placed over.

Trainmaster718

ORAS is here!
This thread originally started off in the site discussion forum

However, as I began writing it, I realised that the general discussion forum was a better fit.
So, here we go!

How does discussing things about the site not belong in the site discussion section?

which I consider to be woefully inaccurate.

As it is, there doesn't seem to be any real consistency to the map in regards to their real-world counterparts

http://i55.*******.com/2ueh7pu.jpg

Editing the entire map would be pointless, as it does the job without being politically correct. People go to it to find the locations themselves, not where they are located in relation to our real world. Pokéarth is something that Serebii worked on for a very long time from what I understand. Honestly, we're luck to have such a handy feature.

danburite3

How does discussing things about the site not belong in the site discussion section?

Well, because as I typed more and more, it soon became a general post about where things are in the Pokemon world. By the end, the only site-related part was my opinion at the beginning.

Editing the entire map would be pointless, as it does the job without being politically correct. People go to it to find the locations themselves, not where they are located in relation to our real world. Pokéarth is something that Serebii worked on for a very long time from what I understand. Honestly, we're luck to have such a handy feature.

Good for him. However, working hard doesn't always mean that something is completely flawless and should never ever be improved upon.

Trainmaster718

ORAS is here!
Good for him. However, working hard doesn't always mean that something is completely flawless and should never ever be improved upon.

Right, because our admin and mods have nothing else to worry about...Server issues? Nah! Spambots? Nah! Let's worry about making this map a slightly more realistic, even though it has no impact on it whatsoever and many members are already accustomed to its layout!

Perhaps you'll understand after being a member for more than a month?

danburite3

Right, because our admin and mods have nothing else to worry about...Server issues? Nah! Spambots? Nah! Let's worry about making this map a slightly more realistic, even though it has no impact on it whatsoever and many members are already accustomed to its layout!

Perhaps you'll understand after being a member for more than a month?

Actually, I've been a member since about 2003. I just forgot my old password and have since deleted the email address the account was associated with. ;)
They used to call me danburite2.

And really, there's no reason to defend Serebii in this instance. I haven't gone out of my way to attack him, I just posted something that I thought would be interesting to see, when that particular page gets an update, sometime down the road. And more to the point, that whole "updating PokeEarth" thing, like I said, is a very, very minor part of my post. Two sentences, to be exact.

Last edited:

Trainmaster718

ORAS is here!
And really, there's no reason to defend Serebii in this instance. I haven't gone out of my way to attack him, I just posted something that I thought would be interesting to see, when that particular page gets an update, sometime down the road.

Eh, maybe I did get a little overdefensive there. Sorry about that.

Despite what I've made it sound like in my previous posts, I find the locations of the regions fairly interesting. The map you linked to up there from bulbapedia has to be one of my favorite images of all time, simply because it's official.

Here's something you may also find useful.

joshsauce

The Law
Kanto is based on Kantō
Johto is based on Kansai
Hoenn is Kyushu rotated 90 degrees
Sinnoh is Hokkaido
Unova is New York
Sevii is probably the Izu islands.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
As a person who worked on the Map I'd say it's completely plausible to make the map without the intention to make it realistically portray the Pokemon world. Why do you ask? Gamefreak has never official shown us how the Pokemon world looks like with all the regions we know of. We have nothing to really base the map off either so it was best to just leave it as is.
I'm sure if one day we got a whole map of the Pokemon world then it'd be very simple to fix the map. For the time being it's fine as is without 312321321 people nitpicking the placement of things.
As for the world itself sadly we only know Kanto and Johto are next to eachother. Thats about it.

Last edited:

FormeEon

The DNA Master
Well, i think that everything before Unova was based off of all of Japan, with some other cultures from around the world mixed into those areas to create something new.

Rey Alejandro

GOKAI CHANGE!
The problem with that Anime Map is that Sinnoh is far to the north of Johto/Kanto. Besides the whole "snowier climate" thing, if you go to the Sinjoh Ruins in HG/SS, it shows you far off the map to the north. Why would cultures from both regions meet obscenely far away from both places?

Tyranitar Terror

Tyranitar Trainer
This is kind of interesting...

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
The problem with that Anime Map is that Sinnoh is far to the north of Johto/Kanto. Besides the whole "snowier climate" thing, if you go to the Sinjoh Ruins in HG/SS, it shows you far off the map to the north. Why would cultures from both regions meet obscenely far away from both places?

If you've played the Sinjoh ruins event in HGSS, then you'll find out that long ago in the pokemon world history, there was a group of people in Sinnoh who decided to move to Johto. Whether or not they were the first settlers or not is unknown. The people wanted to commemorate their culture while blending in with their own culture. So its not about two people groups meeting together somewhere, but one people group honoring their own culture while living in another. Besides if you look at the map (in the games anyway) The Sinjoh Ruins don't actually seem to be that far away from Johto.

EDIT: As for non-Unova pokemon being in the eastern half of Unova, it could be that people who move from other regions bring over their pokemon and then they breed and certain species become populous in Unova. Kind of like invasive species of plants or animals that get introduced within certain places. Also one of the rumors is that Clefairy, (and possibly Solrock and Lunatone) came from space, possibly a comet, the same one which carried Kyurem. ANd that might be how those particular pokemon got there. I don't know, just something fun to think about.

Last edited:

UltimatePokemonExpert

Experienced Trainer
What about the Orange Islands?