• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The PokeRus FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dratini927

Matt the Drat
Well, lately I have seen a lot of threads talking about PokeRus, so I decided to create a FAQ thread about PokeRus. Below are commonly asked questions about PokeRus that the main site may not go over. If you have a question about PokeRus, it may be answered here, and if you still don't understand something, then post it in here, and it should be answered. :)

What is PokeRus?
- PokeRus is a "virus" that enhances stats to your Pokemon and allows EV's to be doubled in battle. It's the same as Macho Brace, but without the lowering of Speed.

How do I get PokeRus?
- PokeRus is obtained from wild Pokemon in the game. You do not need to catch a Pokemon to obtain PokeRus. Instead, all that needs to be done is a move that makes Contact (i.e. mostly physical attacks and moves such as Bite, Crunch, Spark) to a Pokemon that has it, and there's a chance that it will go onto the your Pokemon that hit the infected wild Pokemon. You will know when you have PokeRus if you look in the Status condition area of a Pokemon and it says "PKRS".

How do I spread PokeRus over to my other Pokemon?
- PokeRus can only be spread on Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, because those games have are clock-based. If you have an infected Pokemon on Fire Red, Leaf Green, Colosseum or XD, you cannot spread it. Spreading it means having the infected Pokemon in your party with your other Pokemon. In time, the infected Pokemon will spread PokeRus over to your other Pokemon.

How long does PokeRus last?
- PokeRus doesn't last very long in Ruby/Sapphire/Emearld. If the infected Pokemon is in your party, PokeRus lasts, depending on the Pokémon (it's preset), 1 to 3 days. A "day" is counted as passing by for an infected poke which is in your party at midnight.

How do I keep PokeRus?
- It's very easy to make sure that you always have PokeRus on your game. All you have to do is keep the infected Pokemon in your Box. If you're on Fire Red or Leaf Green, you do not have to worry at all, as PokeRus will never leave because the game is not clock-based.

I see a dot next to where it used to say PKRS, what happened?
- If you see a dot in the Status area, that means the Pokemon has lost the PokeRus virus and can never get it again. PokeRus tends to leave quickly, so be sure to get your training in quickly if you want the added effects of the virus to help your Pokemon's stats. Even after your Pokemon loses the PokeRus status, and gets the dot, it will still gain the double EV values always.

And that's about it. If there are any other questions that I do not have answered in here, ask them here and I'll add them to this post. :)

Last edited:

gregjammer

Feather Trainer
There's more, Dratini927, if that's ok w/ you, and it's all in this quote, originally posted in the XD FAQ to try and clear up the issue involving whether or not you can evolve Eevee into Espeon/Umbreon by Gamecube clock:

gregjammer said:
I have found out that you can ONLY evolve 1 Eevee into Espeon/Umbreon in XD w/o the aid of trading to the GBA games in order to do so.

Why? Because there are no time-based events in XD...

Proof: My Typhlosion's was infected w/ Pokerus in the GBA back when it was in EV-training, before I found out today, when my Typhlosion was in XD, and reached level 100 there, that the Pokerus won't wear off as long as the pokemon that's infected by it stays in XD, no matter how much time passed on the Gamecube's clock, but when it gets back to the GBA, then the GBA notices how much time has passed, and then the pokemon snaps out of the pokerus... If the pokerus had worn off before it was transferred to GBA, then would Eevee evolve into Espeon/Umbreon at max tameness + level up in XD??? Yes, it will... But no, Pokerus didn't wear off until GBA transfer...

So, if that quote's true, then Pokerus can't spread to other pokemon on Colosseum/XD, because those two games aren't clock-based... Same goes for Fr/Lg, since they're also not clock-based...

And if that's o.k. w/ you, feel free to add it to the question "How do I spread Pokerus over to my other pokemon?"...

Last edited:

Demonic

<- Hunting You
if i have a pokemon in my party that i train with pokerus then put it in my pc will it lose it ? alos can i put my pokemon into XD and train it there with teh same effets witut it losing pokerus cheers : demon :

Whompithian

Dynamo Trainer
Demonic said:
if i have a pokemon in my party that i train with pokerus then put it in my pc will it lose it ? alos can i put my pokemon into XD and train it there with teh same effets witut it losing pokerus cheers : demon :
The counter for Pokerus ticks down at midnight (game time) for any Pokemon in your party (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald). Any Pokemon in your box when the clock rolls past midnight, in FireRed/LeafGreen, or in Colosseum/XD will not have its Pokemon duration counted down. As long as your Pokemon is back in the box - and the game saved - during the midnight rollover to a new day your Pokemon can keep the Pokerus for the life of your game no matter how much actual time it spends out training.

Training a Pokemon with Pokerus in XD will work, but this gets tricky since the benefit (the only benefit) of Pokerus is that it doubles the number of Effort Points you earn from the Pokemon you defeat. It is much easier to work out a good EV spread fighting select Pokemon in the handheld games than it is fighting the trainers in Gale of Darkness.

N

Noritzu

Just to clarify somthing I have noticed. The Pokerus is spread by movement. You simply cant sit them in your party and wait for it to spread. Though it takes a very short amout of running around to spread it.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Don't forget, with the berry glitch, the Pokerus just doesn't go away.
Unless it takes so long, that I didn't even witness it going away. I doubt that though.

Is it bad for an egg to get pokerus because when it hatches, it will not be able to get pokerus again?

Also, how do I know when midnight is on my clock? (I think mine is screwed up somewhat). Is there some indicator in the game?

MetalMario

< It's Passion Pink!
Pokérus isn't a "real" status condition. When a Pokérussed Pokémon gets a status condition, it no longer displays as having Pokérus (though it still has the effects and it still spreads). It goes back to displaying Pokérus once the other status is cured.

Edit: Drat, I see some errors in this FAQ:
1. To get Pokérus from an infected wild poke, use a contact move, not necessarily Physical. (Tackle and Spark are examples of Contact moves, while Hyper Beam and Thunderbolt are not.)
2. Pokérus lasts, depending on the Pokémon (it's preset), 1 to 3 days. A "day" is counted as passing by for an infected poke which is in your party at midnight.
3. The effort doubling effect stays for Pokémon which have the Black Spot! The only thing you lose when a Pokémon goes on to the Black Spot stage is the ability to spread it from that Pokémon to others.

Last edited:

ShinyFufu

Arriving glacially.
So u ABSOLUTELY HAVE to use a contact move? Does bite/crunch count? And when u see a pokemon with pokerus, will it have it as a status condition, or will it look normal?

Jetx

hooray, it's Jetx!
Hmm.... I have a question. Will the PKRS just appear or do we have to ask at a pokecenter?

DarkSpectrum

Shadow Amongst Light
MeleeMaster-ShinyPokemon said:
So u ABSOLUTELY HAVE to use a contact move? Does bite/crunch count? And when u see a pokemon with pokerus, will it have it as a status condition, or will it look normal?
both bite and cruch are contact moves. and pokerus is NOT a status condition (that is reserved for poison paralyze sleep, etc.). Pokerus only appears on the status screen when u go into the pokemon menu.

Manene

The Ultimate Absol~
Actually (correct me if I'm wrong), I think it spreads in the Box, too. In my Sapphire, I have at least 1 Pokemon in each Box with Poke'Rus, and I started off with only about 1 or 2 Poke'Rus Pokemon total.

Dratini927

Matt the Drat
I'm pretty sure that it only spreads while in your party only. Keeping it in the Box just makes sure that you will keep the virus. :p

Naraku_Diabolos

DNC20/NIN10
Dratini, did you read what MetalMario added? He's right, that when the black dot appears on your Pokemon, it still receives the stat benefits of PKRS, it's just that it cannot spread it since it's not afflicted with the condition. It's like that on my Ruby. I still have my Tyranitar that gains Speed +4-7 whenever it faces a Golbat when it didn't have PKRS anymore. It has a Hardy nature too (traded it from my LeafGreen game).

I remember when PKRS was first introduced in G/S/C. I pitched such a fit with myself that I called a Nintendo Rep over the phone and asked him if my game had a virus lmao

EDIT: Damnit, I saw that what MetalMario said on his post, you added it to the main one, Dratini >_<

Dratini927

Matt the Drat
That's ok. :p I know I do look like a moron half the time, but don't worry....It's only half the time. 8D

Atoyont

Brains for brawn
Ratiosu381 said:
Can you use a Pokemon with Pokerus in the Battle Frontier? If you could, can't this help against status conditions?(Sorry but I never obtained Pokerus).
Yes, you can use a Pokemon with the PokeRus in the Battle Frontier.

Dratini927, it's obvious that you're not a moron, considering you're a mod. :p

Demonic

<- Hunting You
ohhh i want pokerus so what would be best for treeko/govoile/sceptile when i get pokerus what shuld i uber ubr train him against (pokemon wise such as zigzagoon) so i kno what to kill when i get it lol thx

Status
Not open for further replies.