• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Post Your Scenes thread

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
This is a thread for posting selected scenes from your fics! They don't have to be beginning scenes or from any specific point in the fic, they can be from any time you wish. In addition to posting your own scenes, you may read and comment on the scenes posted by others, not unlike the Review Game. This is not required, but it is another option for you to do in this thread!

Thread rules:

1) To keep the thread orderly, please try to stay within roughly a three-page maximum for your scenes. If you go a little over, that's okay, but try not to go over too excessively, please.

2) On the same point as 1, please put your scenes under spoiler text using the appropriate tags. This will help keep the thread neat as each post will, by default, display only a portion of text.

3) As described above, you may also read and comment on other peoples' scenes. Posting your own scenes is not necessarily required, and it is not required that you review others' scenes, either.

diamondpearl876

I guess I'll start because why not, eh? First is a scene already published, one unpublished but it'll be published, you know, someday.

Sai breathed a sigh of relief. This particular office looked nothing like a prison cell. There was furniture here, for one thing, and dim lights overhead that didn’t flicker. Two expensive leather armchairs took up a good portion of the room, a side table nestled between them. The boy couldn’t help but notice the stack of thick textbooks on top of the table. He hoped that they might hold the secrets to his recovery, since he hadn’t had much luck with actually talking to psychiatrists.

Why did he still come here every week, then, if that was case? The answer to that question changed constantly.

Glancing toward the window at the far end of the office, Sai saw a deep, dark blue twilight closing in. Another day in his life was almost over. Soon, he could go home and sleep—if his mind slowed down and let him. It had been a long day, after all. It had been a long week. Really, it had just been a long life.

A wave of restlessness washed over him as he realized someone was speaking to him. Was it Dr. Richards, his former psychiatrist?

“You’ve told me before, Sai… that bad things happen to bad people, right?”

Silence. It wasn't Dr. Richards, though the words were similar.

“Yes.”

Silence. He had learned that answers were supposed to swift and sharp. Hesitation created mistrust, and mistrust led him to trouble.

“Okay. What kind of person are you?”

Silence. Sai watched as the psychiatrist took a handkerchief and wiped the sweat from his brow, and shifted in his seat so he didn’t look as slumped.

“...That's a really nice suit, sir.” He had to say what was on his mind or it was like saying nothing at all.

“Thank you, Sai.”

“I think I'm boring you. Because I don’t know why I’m here today.” Silence. The psychologist’s mouth parted, but no words came out. “I mean, I don’t feel sick, so…”

“Do you think these sessions have been helpful at all?”

Silence. There was pain hidden in that silence. Would this psychiatrist be the first one brave enough to hear about the pain?

No, of course not. No one would ever be brave enough to make it through even half the story. So Sai filled the silence with meaningless chatter. “I don’t know. I’m either going to get better or I’m not. There’s no in-between.”

The therapist fumbled with the papers on the clipboard in his lap, tapping his pen on each page before moving to the next. Dr. Richards also took notes in the cells. Sai didn’t know what that meant. It probably didn’t mean anything.

“From what you’ve told me, you eat well enough. Your sleep patterns have improved considerably, and you’ve started exercising a bit more.”

“Yeah, I train. To be closer to my pokémon.”

Silence.

“So. Now I have a question.”

“Yes, Sai?”

Sai reached into his pocket and pulled out the black and white die Dr. Richards had given him all those years ago. He looked his new psychiatrist in the eye and asked what the man thought dice might signify if it was used symbolically in a piece of art or the like. Sai kept his gaze firm, but he was still so unaccustomed to seeing human faces that he had to look away.

Silence. A very, very long silence. The room grew darker. Twilight was here now.

“Well...”

Sai, in the end, couldn’t bear to listen. Couldn’t process what the psychiatrist’s answer was. He only remembered that Dr. Richards said black and white were polar opposites.
It had been a nice gift to receive at the time. But Dr. Richards had been paid by Team Rocket to give him medication that forcibly cycled his moods, causing his own thoughts to become black and white. Things were always all bad, or all good, and because of that, he crashed. He crashed and he drowned. He drowned in his own black and white thoughts, over and over.

When he was released as a part of the survival project, a thousand different freedoms came to him. But much like how twilight comes and goes, his emotions, harsh and deep, changed so often that he couldn't take advantage of that freedom. He wanted to feel infinite, yet little of him was actually infinite, unless you counted the nights he spent trying not to burst from the pain of loneliness. When he was confronted by that inability to speak, to coincide with anyone else's thoughts or beliefs, then he made use of the coping techniques he had learned in the cells, like he was now. A false sort of contentment traveled toward his heart, which beat with a morose fervor more often than not. Nothing was right, nothing was wrong. Existing was enough of an accomplishment during moments like these.

July 29

So you’ve declared that we dispense with the proper letter etiquette in its entirety, is that right? Now, I’d consider myself a fool if I were to object to your amicable suggestion, but I would, at least, like the air cleared regarding this matter so that the two of us might avoid future misunderstandings. I find that the main drawback of our writing exchange is the lengthy, agonizing wait for your reply should I have reason to believe I’ve upset you. It feels like another form of punishment when I can only offer any sort of consolation from a distance.

This may come as a surprise to you, but it had not occurred to me before that dwelling on my thoughts as opposed to simply conveying them has been a source of distress for us. It has always been the case for me that my mind reacts far too fast for my body to keep up. Naturally, then, writing each and every word that passes through my head becomes an impossible task. On the other hand, choosing from the endless list of things I could say to you… Haley, it becomes overwhelming, and all the dredged up memories and emotions that follow can easily equate the writing process with declaring war on myself if I don’t tread carefully.

Perhaps you speak the truth when you say the date lingered in the back of my mind when I put pen to paper for my last letter. Who can say? My memories of July 10 already dissipated and merged with all the others I’ve gathered during my 34 years on this earth. If I now try to summon them to the surface, to the level of conscious thought, I’ll be reminded of a past that feels not like my own, as per usual. My brain essentially works as an infallible machine: I input some information and a series of vague images, hoping to reassemble the remaining puzzle pieces. Then, my brain spits the completed puzzle back at me, but in the form of a movie, as if I created the moment rather than lived in it.

As a general rule, people consider their birthday a day to reflect on the past and future. Whereas most people wait around for the remedy to their disappointment, you analyzed the structure of your life, deigned it unlivable, and assumed control of what came next. Change was guaranteed to you because you took matters into your own hands. The world appears slightly less mysterious to me when I realize how anyone is capable of maintaining enough ambition needed to pursue a path similar to your own.

You may notice, Haley, I didn’t mention the future when referring to myself. I trust you understand why. Given my… unique situation, I suppose I can’t berate myself for not utilizing alternatives to my self-destructive behaviors, but sitting in prison fails as a valid excuse when I rightfully belong here. At any rate, I wouldn’t concern yourself with how scarce or full my letters are. To reiterate an agreement we did manage to reach, this particular form of communication limits our usefulness to each other.

At this point today, I have been awake for less than two hours. I thought it appropriate to dedicate my allotted free time this morning to articulate all of these challenging facts to you, hoping that last night’s sleep would offer clarity and smoothly guide me through the transcribing process. (On the topic of recognizing what the future may hold and acting accordingly, this is what I can manage more often than not.) Alas, the steps required to retrieve and consume a mere bowl of cereal at breakfast absorbed more of my energy than I care to admit. And so, to ensure that I can complete the tasks demanded of me in the afternoon, I shall have to set the pen down temporarily.

Well this seems like a really cool concept, so yeah!

What I've got right now is a currently unreleased snippet from my entry for the Platonic one-shot contest. I guess this is still within the rules for entry since this is only a small portion of the one-shot instead of the whole thing? Either way, even if it later becomes disallowed from being entered thanks to this, I always have more projects, so it doesn't fully matter! Here's the snippet. Feel free to tell me via VM or PM what ya think.

As Riley leaned against the rock wall residing beside him, he continued pondering the thought that refused to stop lingering in his mind. Why hadn't he told that girl about aura?

Sure, he didn't consider it the defining point of his personality, but he felt like it would've been brought up by him at some point.He even recalled that, many times in the echoing chambers of Iron Island, he had considered linking the current subject to aura. It was something that, he realised, he'd been doing frequently recently, around everyone he had at least a loose friendship with. Wanting to talk about a topic that not only interested him, but was neck-deep in.

The girl he met seemed to enjoy his company, and he had also enjoyed hers. It was enough to be considered a loose friendship, and the fact that he had so dearly wanted to tell someone, anyone about his abilities had set the sparks for the topic to arise like a blue flame. Was it a fear of judgement? A subconscious way of reassuring him that the bond he had with the other person, no matter how strong, would last?

Or maybe he was just overthinking it. Perhaps telling someone that you can sense their emotions isn't the best thing to tell them when you've only delved into friendly chatter once. It was a strange thing, and Riley couldn't explain it, but he felt that he was wishing he had told her. Wishing she had known that about him, despite it not being the trait he wanted her to remember the most.

Maybe it was just how he never told anyone the first time meeting them, which then led to not telling the next time, and then the next. And on the days when he chose to finally inform them, they would have something bad happen to them like a harsh loss in a battle. But those times, the friend would their emotions behind a mask of happiness. And whenever that happened, he knew how they really felt, yet felt it would be intrusive to tell that person he knew for certain how they were secretly hurting on the inside. And that led to holding off the admission even longer.

Maybe it was a fear of the cycle repeating itself.

Riley shook his head, re-adjusting his hat slightly. He was probably just overthinking the whole thing. However, there were two things he couldn't deny. One was that if he ever met that girl again, he would cut to the chase and tell her everything about aura and its sensing capabilities.And even if he didn't do that, he would at least somehow try to bring it up.

Two was that, no matter what was and wasn't said in conversation, he really enjoyed her company.

roule

take it all or leave it... I Feel You
well why not?

the following snippet is from across the delta's 4th chapter, which follows an interesting protagonist...

Of course there was a picture taken of it, of course, of course… Why wouldn’t there be? It was a special moment between two former soldiers, showing a bond or something, like they knew each other before all this. She expects it to be on every news channel in the world by now, and she just knows that she’s gonna be swarmed with interviewers asking her about it.

“Yeah, so? Are you jealous or something?”

“No, no.” The voice continues, laughing loudly. Volo sits up now, his eyes drooping. He yawns loudly, showing off his pointed teeth. “I’m just glad that you’re on the news for a good reason, for once.”

Oksana flinched. She’d gotten that talk from her before, over off the cuff remarks and loud speeches in the Rada, having laced most of them with profanity. She’d seen some of these articles, saying that she was brainwashed during her captivity or just plain crazy.

She growls under her breath, scratching at her face.