• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Power Of One (M02)

Platina2000

This movie easily had an impact on my Christmas that year (2000). It became my favorite movie until the 3rd one came out (still love it though). Lugia was my favorite Pokemon because of the movie (and the fact that he could speak). The music, I fell in love with it.

Overall, this is the most memorable movies of that year!

I love this movie, as a PokeShipper, as a Lugia fan and just as a Pokemon lover. It's my second favourite movie (my favourite is the first movie). Slowking is really funny and cool, and Lugia's ability to speak was also great! 10/10, really awesome!

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
I love this movie so much because..well Lugia is my favorite and also when I went to see the movie at the theater, it's like the most vivid memory I have fom my childhood. The songs of the movie I just fell in love with, especially the song: The Power of One. It's my favorite :)

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Watching it now, I'm not entirely sure why it is a really liked it as a kid. It could be because we got to see Lugia and the bird trio, though it could be because we actually got to see Ash save the world (again), and that was rather intense for a movie, even if the first one is pretty dark itself.

I don't know anymore. As a kid, you don't think about these things much, so when it finally hits you when you're older, you start to question why you liked it so much.

I don't really like this movie, but I'll watch it if I'm bored. The premise sounds nice on its own, but I really think they were pushing it a bit too much here. This really was the first instance of Ash being the chosen one (though I think that was more 4KIDS' doing), but after this, we never saw anything else that points to him as a chosen one until Sinnoh. I guess they figured they should give us clues about Ash's potential as a character, and decided to put it to the test here. But it really wasn't that well executed. Legends written thousands of years ago like that seem to always come true whenever Ash is around, and I find that silly. Sure, I can let it slide if it happened recently, but this was when he was in the Orange Islands. How were we supposed to know about Aura and all that?

I honestly don't know what goes through the writers' heads when they come up with this. I think they're just trying too hard to link movies and the episodes together like that.

I'm not a fan of the characters, to be honest with you. Melody seemed more to me like a rival for Misty than ever, and she was just there to look pretty and play the song. Ash is the chosen one, HE should be playing the flippin' song! Ah, whatever. Lawrence III has a rather weak reasoning for why he's a Pokémon Collector, but he does have a cool ship. Slowking was there mainly for comedic relief, I found no purpose for him being there. It's just... creepy, actually. They don't really question WHY he talks, except for one time, and even then it wasn't answered. They just brush it off. Lugia speaking made more sense since it was telepathy, but even then, it was kinda dumb.

Speaking of Lugia, the movie did capture the powers of a Legendary rather well. It showed that a Legendary can fight them off, but they do have moments of weakness, and so I suppose that was a plus. Though it makes me wonder if it was done on purpose, but meh. Still, he didn't do much despite being the title Legendary for the movie. Zapdos, Moltres, and Articuno did more than he did. He was there just to do fancy flips and look cool.

Team Rocket has to be my favorites here. I think this was the first instance we saw that is proof they aren't really bad guys. They can do the right thing if they wanted to. So the self-sacrifice they did was rather shocking at the time, and I really didn't want to see them go. But lo and behold, they live anyway, still debate on their life's work, and make a fourth wall joke at the end. I don't know why people think that's bad, I think it's actually kinda funny. It made more sense in the theaters, though, but it still hits home if you have other people around you watching it XD.

So yeah, not my favorite movie, but it helps kill time.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I watched this movie several years ago at a friend's house, so my memory is a bit fuzzy. :/ But I do remember that my friend and I liked this movie for the most part. We were major fans of legendary Pokemon back then, so we really enjoyed seeing the birds and Lugia especially. Also, Slowking.

The one thing I remember us not liking was that Lawrence III guy. We complained about his character a lot for some reason...

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
Don't laugh at me guys but the first time i saw Lugia,i thought he is the evolved form of mewtwo.:p
Gosh how much i loved Lugia.XD

toxictwinkie

i LOVE LOVE LOVE this movie however I haven't watched it for a while and now I am a little confused; This is an from bulbapedia"

"Lawrence III, a wealthy collector of the world's most valuable antiques, wishes to make his collection complete by catching the three legendary birds, Moltres, Zapdos and Articuno. Any one of them would be a priceless addition to Lawrence's collection, but he aims to capture the three in order to capture the fourth and most powerful bird, Lugia."

Now I thought the trio only had to fight to bring Lugia out or is it the capturing of the birds as it wrecks the balance or something or BOTH (either capturing or fighting) Sorry this is a dumb question, I just got confused when I read it.

Falstaff

Kind of weird that Ash never reacted to the catfighting between Misty and Melody...

Is he really too dense to know, or did he just think 'meh, girl stuff'.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
That's what I thought too. It was really annoying when there was other important things at stake. Again I felt Tracey wasn't even in this movie. He needed a bigger role bad back then.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I love this movie, as a PokeShipper, as a Lugia fan and just as a Pokemon lover. It's my second favourite movie (my favourite is the first movie). Slowking is really funny and cool, and Lugia's ability to speak was also great! 10/10, really awesome!

I have quite a weak spot for this and the third movie. The first being my favorite. I remember actually going to this movie on my birthday, so I kinda remember it quite clearly, as it was one of the last birthdays I celebrated as a child..

Kind of weird that Ash never reacted to the catfighting between Misty and Melody...

Is he really too dense to know, or did he just think 'meh, girl stuff'.

Too dense...

That's what I thought too. It was really annoying when there was other important things at stake. Again I felt Tracey wasn't even in this movie. He needed a bigger role bad back then.

Tracey didn't need anything.. He got a Scyther! :O

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
Just saw this movie for the first time in about ten years. Gotta say that, of all the anime material I've seen (which is little more than the first hundred episodes, and the first two movies) this is probably my favorite so far. If only because of the device the filmmakers used toward the end.

When Melody is playing her ocarina while standing on the platform, and the pillars react to the notes of the song ... stuff like that always gets me. Seeing each pillar light up with each respective note ... loved it.

Music-based plot devices are good. When it goes so far as to have the environment reacting to the song, let alone each note, it's amazing in my book. Stuff like that, for me, never gets old.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
This movie isn't bad. It's like a Japanese monster movie combined with Indiana Jones. It's nice to see the three (no, four) legendary birds, and their fights are cool. Team Rocket also gets a good appearance. No, the movie's not flaw free. It still has a tacked on moral, and the animation isn't as good as the last movie. Strangely, this movie had a higher budget; perhaps they were trying to do too much. Still, it's a worthwhile movie which I can recommend.

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
This movie was stupid but I didn't get that when I was a kid, but the animation and Team Rocket jokes only got better with age.

I don't mean to rub too much salt into nostalgia wounds, still a guilty pleasure, but bingo.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/ir/suede/animenia/34756-animenia-pokemon-the-first-movie

In keeping with ParaChomp, the long overdue JewWario, Suede, Linkara triple review.

They rip it to shreds as only fans could.

And it is delicious.

I loved this movie so much when I was younger. Adding to that, I was so scared of Lugia when it was swimming through the ocean and only its silhouette could be seen. Creepy. It was good to see Staryu skate on that water in the beginning of the movie. And Misty really didn't like Melody. xD Articuno got screwed over during the battle. It got hit by Thunderbolt, then it got hit by Flamethower, after that it crashed into the ice pillar. Man that has got to hurt. A nice movie. :)

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
9/10 one of my favorites.
I treasured my ancient mew card after seeing this and my favorite pokemon was slowking for about a month after i saw it.
idk why but when i was a kid my favorite line was:
james: i'd hate to gut burned by their fire.
jessie: i'd hate to get shecked by their lightning.
meowth: i'd hate to get hit by.........their droppings!

AuroriumX

The Interceptor
Just watched this last night for the first time in 10 years and I got to say it hasn't lost any of it's magic. The music was so good in this film and Lugia made it even more awesome. This is still one of my favorite Pokemon movies.

p96822

Evolve me please
This movie is a mess with the story, charaters and the villian. I feel like this was the weakest of the Pokemon OS movies. I though that the shipping part of the movie was dumb and wasn't need it at all. I know that it was trying to make the fans happy with the Misty and Ash relationship, but I felt it could have been done better if it was going to change the dymantic of the show or something. Lugia was the weakest Legendary Pokemon in all the Pokemon movie I have ever seen. Seeing failing twice in the movie was really lame and his charater is very bland from Mewtwo. Also what were those Pokemon where doing to travel all this way to nothing in the movie. Lugia lied to Ash! The villian doesn't even have a name and his goal is stupid. Why did he had a Mew Card? I never understood that part. And Misty saying something to the villian in the english dub was stupid. As a whole I can said that this movie wasn't that good and my least favorite of the Pokemon Movies.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
I just re-watched this movie today. Not going to lie when Ash teared up after being selected as the chosen one I bawled like a MOFO. My favorite Pokemon movie to date. PokeShipping, Lugia, 3 Legendary Birds, Tracey, Melody is a good character, L3 is a good 1 movie villain, Team Rocket are relevant, Delia-Ash bonding, 4th wall breaking, hilarious Slowking, great plot, etc... This movie is a classic IMO, bring back those childhood memories instantly. I love it (then again I haven't disliked any Pokemon movies yet)

NPT

Just a member
Pokémon 2000 - The Power Of One!

Ok, I'm gonna be honest here. This movie wasn't that good. In fact, I think this movie is the weakest of all the Original Series movies.

The three legendary birds - Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres were featured in this movie. One of the three legendary birds, Moltres, is captured by Lawrence and it cause the enviroment to go out of order. The people of the Shamouti Island thinks that only the 'chosen one' could fix this mess. When the main protagonists arrives at the island, the people of the Shamouti island makes Ash the chosen one.....but why? Because he's a Pokémon trainer, that's why! Wow, what a good reason to make someone the 'chosen one'. -_-

For a legendary Pokémon, Lugia was really weak here. Throughout the movie, he got badly affacted by weak attacks and fell down twice. Not to mention, His charater was bland compared to the Mewtwo from the first movie. This movie's villan Lawrence's goal was stupid too. what the heck was he trying to get by causing havoc and putting the world at risk anyway? Also, What's up with his Mew Card?

There were some stupid and lame dialougs in English dub of this like. "Chosen one ..... I feel more like the Frozen one"?? Was that supposed to be funny? Not to mention the amount of 4th wall breaking was ridiculous, there shouldn't be any 4th wall breaking in this movie at all.

I didn't like how Ash was heistating about bringing the Ice Sphere from Articuno's Island. Ash had no heistation when he jumped in front of Mew and Mewtwo's attacks in the first movie, but here he's saying he can't do it? You gotta be kidding me.

Then there were the Pokeshipping scenes which I found annoying. I didn't like how Melody and Misty were arguing about Ash when other important things were at stake. Seriously, the forced shipping scenes weren't needed at all, especally in a plot where the world is in danger. Also, I didn't like Misty's attitude in this movie. The only thing Misty did Right in this movie was saving Ash from drowning in the sea, other than that, she was really annoying throughout the whole movie.

Melody was kinda annoying too, but it was cute when she gave Ash a nice welcome Kiss on the cheek. Ash's reaction to Melody's kiss was funny. Well .... that's the only thing I found funny in this movie. Other than that, this movie was lame.

Last edited: