• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Power Of One (M02)

Heracross

Custom User Title
About the "I could use pants" thing. I personally thought it was hilarious, but what did Slowking say in the original version? It probably wasn't anything very important if 4Kids could change it so easily, but I'm still curious.

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
From what I've heard, he just said something along the lines of "This is getting serious". Like I said, a rare improvement.

E

Emissary_Of_Darkness

Don't forget the movie's most memerable song, Lugia's Song!
*Grabs a ocarina and starts playing*

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mistystar89

I loved this movie because it my fav out of all of them! It was so funny, cute, heroic. I give it 10/10! :D And the part with Misty getting jealous was priceless and the opposite sex talk plus "I could use pants." XD

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
I still don't agree with the dub title for this one. Ash couldn't have saved the world without:
The person who drove the boat that took him to Shamuti & Fire Island(forgot her name >_>)
The old man who said that Ash was the chosen one(Otherwise Ash wouldn't have bothered trying to get the orbs)
Melody(for various things. Getting Ash back to Shamuti after leaving Lightning Island(granted, they WOULD have been traveling back from Fire Island had the next person not shown up...) is one example)
Lawrence III(despite the havoc being all his fault, he DID get Ash & co. to Lightning Island, albiet unintentionally)
Slowking(pointed out the shrine where Ash put the orbs)
The ancient people who wrote the legend in the first place(nobody would've known what to do, otherwise)
His Pokemon(helping him get to Ice Island, mostly)
Articuno(froze the ice so that he COULD get to Ice Island using his Pokemon(another unintentional aid))
Lugia(saved his butt when he stupidly ran and stopped in front of the 3 Birds' attacks, helped him get back to Shamuti from Ice Island, etc...)
Team Rocket(helped Ash get the rest of the way to Ice Island's shrine when the fighting of the Birds stopped him from using his Pokemon to get the rest of the way)
The reporters(the propeller from their helicopter was used in TR's raft...thing...)
Misty & Tracey(helped Ash out of the water and up to Shamuti's shrine when Lugia fell)

That's more than 1. A lot more. MIGHT Ash have saved the day without said help? Maybe, but it probably would've taken longer, been more dangerous, and the chance of success would have been lower. All in all, it was a good thing that people(and Pokemon) were there to help him.

One thing I liked about the movie was how 4Kids actually left SILENCE in some parts. Good, now start leaving silence in the main anime. :p

Random tidbit:The 3 shrines you see in the movie(aside from Shamuti's, where the reference doesn't seem obvious enough) are based off Shinto shrines. The pi-symbol-shaped gates are torii(which literally means bird) gates, which people pass through to enter and exit Shinto shrines. The shrines themselves are based off typcial Shinto shrines. Also, Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres are gods in the orignial movie, so it makes even more sense in the Japanese version(aside from the fact that Shinto shrines are distinctly Japanese, of course >_o), since the shrines honor kami, nature sprirts(they're not gods, exactly, though.), and kami-sama(literally "Lord Kami" or something similar) means "god".(and the 3 Birds are both nature spirits(in a way) AND gods!)

EXP:282

Is Back!!! For now.
I got the book which is kinda different because it has people say different things like:
Slowking:''Generations of Slowking safeguard the legend with no problems, I'm on the job two weeks and some has set the whells in motion''
Misty: Ash: Are you coming Misty? ''You are the chosen One not, me. if you want to go on a wild goose chase in the middle of the night, then you're on your own.''
Ash: '' I thought Melody said fetching the treasures would be easy''

Theres plenty more where these come from.
I just thought it would a bit odd.

Last edited:

Mastercougar

The Infinite Fire
Lugia =/= The Beast of the sea?

When I first heard the Prophecy, I thought that Lugia was the Beast of the Sea. It's easy to think that based on what Lawrence says in the begining:

Lawrence III: Disturb not the harmony of Fire, Ice and Lightning
Lest these Titans wreak destruction upon the world in which they clash.
Though the Water's Great Guardian shall arise to quell the fighting
Alone its song shall fail and the earth shall turn to Ash.

O chosen one, into thine hands bring together all three
Their treasures combined tame the Beast of the Sea. Lugia!

From this it seems that the prophecy states that Lugia is the beast of the sea. But what if we write it like this:

Lawrence (reciting): Disturb not the harmony of Fire, Ice and Lightning
Lest these Titans wreak destruction upon the world in which they clash.
Though the Water's Great Guardian shall arise to quell the fighting
Alone its song shall fail and the earth shall turn to Ash.

O chosen one, into thine hands bring together all three
Their treasures combined tame the Beast of the Sea.

Lawrence(Musing): Lugia!

I feel that the word Lugia is not part of the prophecy and therefore we have no proof that it is the Beast of the sea, although Lawrence III seems to think so. His interpetation: If thou bringst the Titans of Fire, Ice and Lightning together, then Lugia shall be thy prize. But I also don't think Lugia could be the Beast because it is already described as the Water's Great Guardian. This time we have proof of this, as Slowking and Melody both call Lugia this when it appears. Therefore, I submit that Lugia is NOT the Beast of the Sea.

But then, who/what is the Beast? I think Prof Oak has already given us the answer. While inside the helicopter, he tells the reporters that the unbalenced fire+ice(water) and lightning could form an swirling underwater current that could flood the planet. He describes it as "a churning 'beast of the sea'." When I first saw 2000, I thought that Oak was barking up the wrong tree. But now that I no longer see Lugia as the Beast, I agree that the current could very well be the Beast!

The prophecy talks about "taming" the Beast of the Sea. Recall the watery looking rainbow thing that rises up at the end, once all is peaceful? I submit that that is the current/beast, no longer a threat!

What do you think?

By the way, Stacee, that's what you have to expect in a novelization. The writers can't use the exact origional dialouge for some reason, and so they make up some of their own. It ends up having a far different result. So get your information from the movies, not the books!

Last edited:

Geodude

Yeah it's pretty obvious that the vicious underwater current was the "beast of the sea". Lugia itself said that the beast of the sea "has been tamed" at the end of the movie, and the events had nothing to do with taming Lugia, but everything to do with calming the weather.

Cyndaquil

Soaring high above
I didn't get that grren haired gal, who was she (i kno shes Karen) but why is she on a boat with Ash n co :S anyone kno anything bout her?!

Chris

Old Coot
Uh..she's the boat owner and she's the one that steered the boat for Satoshi-tachi. o_O

Mastercougar

The Infinite Fire
Geodude said:
Yeah it's pretty obvious that the vicious underwater current was the "beast of the sea". Lugia itself said that the beast of the sea "has been tamed" at the end of the movie, and the events had nothing to do with taming Lugia, but everything to do with calming the weather.

Exactly. Although I didn't get it at first, and I guess not everyone does, since I saw something in someone's sig calling Lugia the Beast of the Sea.

Murgatroyd

Dull Manga Avatar
In the dub, Lawrence seems to be misinterpreting the prophesy to mean he's the "chosen one" who will collect the gods. This is quite different from the original, where he clearly knows perfectly well what he's doing, and does it anyway.

Hi no kami, kaminari no kami, koori no kami ni fureru bekarazu
Sareba tenchi ikari sekai wa hametsu ni mukau
Umi no kami hametsu wo sukuwan to arawaren
Saredo sekai no hametsu wo fusegu koto narazu
Suguretaru ayatsuribito araware, kamigami no ikari shizumen kagiri

You must not touch the God of Fire, God of Ice, and God of Lightning
If you do, Heaven and Earth shall be angered, and the world shall face destruction
The God of the Sea shall appear to try to stop the destruction
But it will be unable to prevent the destruction of the world.
A great[1] trainer[2] shall appear, to calm the gods' wrath[3].

[1]suguretaru has two interpretations. First is the one I have used here, meaning exceptionally good. Second is "chosen as the best", which is reflected in the dub.
[2]ayatsuribito literally means "a person who controls/manipulates". It is explained early in the movie as referring to a Pokemon Trainer.
[3]I have yet to fully figure out what kagiri does to the meaning of this sentence. It may mean that the trainer will calm the gods to the best of his ability, with no guarantee of success.

Geodude

Gotta like the dubbers' sense of humor in this movie though...through most of the movie, the line "And the earth shall turn to ash" was assumed to mean it would be destroyed, since we never saw the legend in English written form. But towards the end, we saw the hidden meaning, that it wasn't "ash", but "Ash". That was cute.

Yeah I don't think I figured the fact that Ash was apart of the Legend until it was mentioed :p But I was 9 years old when it was released :) Anyway, this is my most FAVORITE Pokemon movie so far, I have sen 1-6. This was my fave ever since it was released because of the story-line and the quotes man they were funny. I now like it even more cuz I'm a Pokeshipper (I wasn't when I was 9 lol cuz I didn't know that it seemed like Misty liked Ash :p i wonder what I was thinking when I heard all those quote Melody said and stuff :S) Anyway so they have the most hints so I love that and I adore the music 'The Power of One' was amazing and I was laughing so hard when 'Polkamon' played cuz I'm a fan of Weird Al and I though he sang it :p Anyway I give it a 10/10 because og the storyline, music, shippyness :p ans just everthing over all. XD!!!!

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Murgatroyd said:
In the dub, Lawrence seems to be misinterpreting the prophesy to mean he's the "chosen one" who will collect the gods. This is quite different from the original, where he clearly knows perfectly well what he's doing, and does it anyway.

See, I disagree. He doesn't think of himself enough for this to be logical. If he were more egocentric, perhaps, but he isn't.

Of course, we've discussed this elsewhere, haven't we?

Speaking of whom, why do people call him a "Pokémon collector" when there's no evidence that he's ever had Pokémon in his life?

As for the explination of the current, that would make some sense, but I think it may be a double meaning. Hasn't Lugia been refered to as the 'beast of the sea' or the 'guardian of the sea' elsewhere?
Not to mention there's no way a current could do all that. Unless it's, ya know, 'magic' or something, but such a thing was never fully explained to my satisfaction.

I also think that Jirarudan was originally meant to be a far more intimidating character than he wound up, owing to the likely origin of his name, the darkness of his score theme, and the preliminary reports about his role in the movie. But as it was, he came off as being greedy at worst, and more delusional.

Oh yes, and one more thing--if he had captured Articuno, he could have gotten away with it. Their powers would have all been in balance again, right?

You know, I wonder--if something *else* happened to knock them out of alignment, it couldn't be set right. Say an earthquake took out one of their islands. Nothing could stop the impending doom.

Last edited:
R

RaikouRider243

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Oh yes, and one more thing--if he had captured Articuno, he could have gotten away with it. Their powers would have all been in balance again, right?

Indeed, you are correct. That explains why the entire area was covered in ice. The force of Ice was the only force left of the three. Had he captured Articuno, the three forces would have balanced at virtually zero, but still balanced. After temporarily draining them of their powers, Lawrence simply could have moved them to Ultra Balls or something. That way, they could not resist *true* capture. He then could have used them to get to anf fight Lugia. Of course, Lugia would pwn all three of them. I am assuming it had Recover...

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
If it had Recover, it probably would have used it rather than sinking to the ocean's floor and bemoaning "I...am defeated" or whatever it said.

Seriously, Lugia was fairly weak until the Guardian's Song was played. Which is another thing that makes me think it's also the Beast of the Sea rather than just the current, because the song affected it.

L

lugia65

Phantom_Bugsy said:
I liked it because of Jiri (I REFUSE ta call him Lawrence III. Period.), and because Tracey was ACTUALLY in a movie. With a big role. :D

I wish he would've saved the world. ; ;

Same here ^^ I just think Jiraduan is so cyuuute^^ also its my favorite because it has rugia in it aswell;249; Anyway who thought of calling Jiri LawrenceIII...that name totaly degrades him >.> I also enjoyed when melody was playing her flute instrument the music was cool;249;

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Well, "Lawrence" isn't so bad of a name until you consider the meanings behind both names...

"Jirarudan" comes from "Girardin", a believer in the theories of Rene Girard. Girard has written extensively about the connection between ancient legends and modern problems.

Wheras "Lawrence" means..."crowned with laurel". I think it's a dig at his (admittedly bizarre) hairstyle.

L

LugiaMew

I actually didn't like Lugia until I saw that movie. Lugia means a lot to me. Sacrifice is one of the noblest things you can do, and Lugia, in a way, sacrificed himself for the world.