• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Power Within!

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
241113_801131.jpg

308.gif
637.gif
094.gif
479-w.gif
385.gif
232.gif

Hey everyone. I'm CedOmega here bringing you all a new and unique team today. So with everything on all my previous teams being so OU, I decided an unexpected change in direction was long overdue. I started by searching for about 4 days through the UU tier. Unfortunately, it was to no avail. Next, I began searching the RU tier for something. Quite frankly, I wasn't even 100% sure exactly what I was looking for. I finally gave up for a short while before encountering a Japanese trainer's powerful Medicham at RMUs(Random Match Ups). This sparked the brilliant idea in me to build a team that would support Medicham to function effectively in OU. That said, I think it goes without saying that this was not an easy task, as those who have come this far in the introduction will soon find out. With further ado, I present to you "The Power Within".
308.gif

Medicham@Choice Scarf
Trait: Pure Power
Jolly nature
252 Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 Sp. Defense
Hi Jump Kick, Psycho Cut, Ice Punch & Trick

Medicham is not a simple Pokemon one can fit onto just any team. It's defenses lack something to be desired, coupled with its not so stellar Hp leave it very vulnerable to priority. This means that Common priority abusers like Scizor and Breloom tend to be moderate concerns. The standard spread of 0/252/0/0/4/252 with a Jolly nature & ChoiceScarf allow me to outspeed +1 DD Dragonite & Jolly TechLoom. A set of Hi Jump Kick, Psycho Cut, Ice Punch & Trick makes the best of what Medicham can offer with its team. Its STAB Hi Jump Kick has some major power behind it, which is what drew my attention in the previously mentioned RMU match with the Japanese trainer. Psycho Cut, too, is used for STAB while also providing a solution for Tentacruel, nonScarfed/nonSashed Gengar and some Jellicent. IcePunch is used over Thunder Punch because of the rarity that is Gyarados are hardly ever a threat when played against correctly. Ice Punch also enables Medicham to combat +1 DD Dragonite once Multiscale has been broken and other nonscarfed Dragons and Therians. I often am able to set up rocks before one can come in, so Ice Punch is only more benefited. Now as we come to Trick, one must be careful when deciding when to Trick Scarf away. The decision could either be your best move yet or your worst mistake ever. It's a gamble most the time, but I guess that's what comes with using such a gimmick Pokemon in OU.

637.gif

Volcarona@Chesto Berry
Trait: Flame Body
Bold natue
240 Hp/ 216 Def/ 52 Speed
Fiery Dance, Bug Buzz, Quiver Dance & Rest

Volcarona replaced Dragonite in the mid-development stages of the team. It has undergone many changes since then. What used to be the standard Offensive Butter Fly set became a hybrid of the Bulky Quiver Dance and Rest Chesto sets. The set has since then done the team very well and has suprisingly functioned very effectively. That said, my opponents on PS where I test the team often forfeit somewhere around the 9th or 10th turns because of such difficult to handle bulk. That aside for now, Volcarona often gets in more QD against Ferrothorn and Forretress before they switch out to something that would otherwise threaten Volcarona with the lack of bulk. Its set gives it great coverage against everything needed. Fiery Dance and Bug Buzz also grants it coverage against the likes on Jirachi and Celebi, who are often support for their team. Rest is due to the ever so often statuses that would cripple Volcarona otherwise.

094.gif

Gengar@Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
Timid nature
252 Sp. Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 Def
Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Substitute & Disable

Now we come to Gengar, whom was added to give the team an edge against opposing Chansey and Blissey walls. The Sub Split set is used to enable Gengar to handle and/or stall most Pokemon that can continually break its substitute without doing any really serious damage while behind its protection; like Scizor's Pursuit and Bullet Punch. Shadow Ball is used for STAB and decent damage to slower Psychic types, while Focus Blast rounds off its coverage against Normal and Steel types. Life Orb boosts said coverage while also contributing to its Sub Split ability.

479-w.gif

Rotom-W@Leftovers
Triat: Levitate
Calm nature
28 Sp. Attack/ 252 Hp/ 228 Sp. Defense
Hydro Pump, Volt Switch, Pain Split & Will-o-Wisp

Rotom-W was added to counter ever popular Rain teams...need I say more? Without Pain Split or Rest, Rotom-W gained the ability to hit walls like Vaporeon and Jellicent harder with Thunderbolt. The 28 EVs in Sp.Attack allow it to KO standard Gliscor, while also adding just a bit of power behind its STAB Hydro Pump. Volt Switch is used for scouting purposes, used mainly when it needs to come in and get right back out on the expected switch.

385.gif

Jirachi@Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
Jolly nature
252 Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 Sp. Defense
Iron Head, Zen Headbutt, Fire Punch & U-Turn

Jirachi comes in as the teams annoyance. Every team needs one and this is no different. With a Scarfed set, Jirachi speed ties with +1 DD Salamence, Dragonite and Haxorus, as well as scarfed Haxorus and Hydreigon variants. Iron Head and Zen Headbutt are used for STAB and the additonal 60% flinch spam. Fire Punch was used over Ice Punch and Trick because I often found myself facing opposing Ferrothorn variants whom would come in on a predicted Iron Head or Zen Headbutt. This also provided Jirachi with a solution for opposing Steel types like Scizor, which can't do much to Jirachi to begin with. U-Turn to scout, obviously, while also proving the team with the notorious Volt Turn strategy. Not a fast one, but a form of Volt Turn nonetheless.

232.gif

Donphan@Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
Adamant nature
252 Attack/ 200 Hp/ 56 Defense

Earthquake, Ice Shard, Rapin Spin & Stealth Rock

Coming in as the last on the team is Donphan. As a heavy hitting spinner, Donphan made an immediate impact upon making the cut. Its STAB Earthquake with an Adamant nature and full investment wipe the floor with most Tyranitar threats who often come in and set up a set of rocks before dying themselves in spite of Rapid Spin. Ice Shard gives the team a needed solution to Rock Polish Landorus variant that would otherwise be very much threatening. Stealth Rock is its hazards and original purpose for being on the team.

Conclusion
So as I come to a conclusion on my RMT, I want to thank everyone who took the time to read it. The team took under a week to make though required me to do alot of thinking and alot of testing. I enjoy the use of an RU Pokemon like Medicham who, in my honest opinion, is very much underrated for its potential. That said, if anyone wants to test the team for themselves, feel welcome. I apologize for the lack of an import as I know it would make it an easier task to test the team, but I'm still figuring out the tools available here on Serebii. That aside, I hope everyone enjoyed the team and happy rating! :)

Last edited:

EonDragonFTW

Why risk having volcarona going to sleep for two turns with rest when it learns Roost? It provides more immediate recovery, even if it's only half, but that's all you need on bulky volcarona,, as you boost and roost and sweep.

I applaud you for using Medicham in OU, as it's stats leave much to be desired.

You could give rotom a life orb so it can get more oomph, but it doesn't have pain split recovery, so that could cut it's recovery. Since you said Rotom is for going up against rain walls like vapo and jelly , I suggest pain split over wow, soRotom can carry a life orb.

Gengar should have a sub-disable, set, as it really makes the migrated of walls disappear and cripples them, and disables Scizor's beloved bullet punch, and the common choice band one would either struggle or switch out, giving you a free sub

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
Thanks for the feedback, EonDragonFTW!

I'm currently testing SubDisable Gengar actually, after seeing your suggestion, and I must say it's doing great. I did have SubDisable Gengar when Dragonite was where Volcarona now is, but I never thought to put it back after a few changes were made. I think I'll keep it.

About Rotom-W, LO is an interesting option, however the recoil gained by attacking may lessen Rotom-W's bulk which may be troubling at times when its bulk is needed. I've been considering maybe switching W-o-W for Thunder Wave and Thunderbolt for Pain Split.

To justify the use of Rest+Chesto on Volcarona, I've studied many battles where it has set up one or more QD and then a Blissey or Chansey come along and cripple it with Thunder Wave or Toxic stall it to death. Rest+Chesto allows Volcarona to set up numerous times in spite of being statused and, when the time comes, Rest off all residual damage. When I tested this out, I found it to be a greatly unexpected niche to have. Although if it does begin to become less effective, I will consider Roost.

Thanks for suggestions, I'll make the changes to the RMT tomorrow if able. :)

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
RMT has been updated. Now open to more suggestions. :)